Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 2520 Kennedy Blvd

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/8 20:41
Group:
Registered Users
Great information yet again! I will not have a car, at least not initially. I am checking out 340 Fairmount, and will check out 333 Fairmount thanks to your recommendation. I am pretty much looking at everything in the area for I am hoping to buy in the next few weeks. There are several buildings on Kennedy closer to Path than the 2520 that I am going to be looking at as well. So all in all very excited about moving there with the hope that the area will only get better with time. I hope I can find a good condo building without all the attendant financial woes within the HOAs that have become so common in the aftermath of the crisis. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/4/23 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

jcmoving wrote:
Hi, Has anyone recently looked at the 2520 Kennedy Building? And the area around it? I was curious about any thoughts about the area these days as recession slowly tries to recede. It seems like this post on this building last had active participants in 2009. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated as I try to make a decision where I move next. I am currently in NYC and will have to commute to the city from JC once I move. Thanks to all who respond in advance!

I lived on Belmont a few years back and I passed this building daily as I walk to and from the Path. I have never been inside the building, but the surrounding area is laid-back and the park is just across the road, which is lovely.

The Kennedy Boulevard side is nice, fairly clean but not many shops besides the liquor/drug store but the Bergen side was pretty different it has the most amenities like a gym, fruits and veggies shops, cleaners, bakeries, etc it also had lots of people hanging on the streets, trash everywhere , lots of drug trafficking and late night prostitution.

I avoided Bergen ave during off peak hours and only walked up Kennedy or sometimes West side (which also has some shopping).

The building from what I remember was nothing special, it has a huge lobby which I recall during the winter months lots of children playing in the lobby and a few men that would smoke cigars in front of the building.

The commute for me to Manhattan LES from there was about a hour and 10 min. I never took the bus from JSQ I always walked it, its a 16-20 min walk depending how fast you walk.

Good Luck!

By the way this was in 2010, so not sure if much has change....

You live on Belmont but you avoid Bergen Ave?? Sheesh. With Kennedy you take your life in your hands everytime you walk down it. The drivers are maniacs. On Bergen it's like a time warp. Back to mellow times. Not like you're in a city at all.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, and you may want to check out the JC Food Coop - http://jcfoodcoop.coop/. This may help with your food needs/interests.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You're welcome! Will you have a car here? If so, the A&P grocery in Jersey City (near Hoboken boarder and Target) has organic stuff, I think. They re-modeled that store a few years back and its really, really nice! You can also get Fresh Direct delivered, of course.

How big a place do you want? I also looked to rent in 333 Fairmount (b/w JFK & Bergen) which has some gorgeous renovated units (and a rent to own program I believe). Check it out.

Are you looking to buy now, or in a few years? Check out the pre-war buildings on Duncan b/w JFK & Bergen. Gorgeous. I think there may be one for sale in my building, but I rent. But this place is coming slowly out of a deep financial hole. Also, many units haven't had their electric updated (and the eta to do that for the building is way off/not set), so some are sparse on outlets. So pending your situation, it may or may not work for you. It is a nice building, just do your homework (goes for any place, of course!).

Posted on: 2013/4/21 18:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks again for all this useful information. I think I will miss not having a more upscale grocery store that carries organic food a la Whole Foods, but I have decided that this is a good area for me to move to given that it is still inexpensive, not that difficult of a commute into my work. I am also looking at other places for sale in the neighborhood so I can buy one that is the most appropriate for me.

If anyone knows of places for sale in their building in the broader JSQ area please do let me know so I leave no "apartment" unturned! Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/4/21 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I live a few blocks closer to St. Peter's U at 2600 JFK. I moved up here last summer after living downtown for 17 years. I really like it up here. My apt. is much biggest /less costly. I street park my car, which can be a bit tedious but I have never had a problem (fingers crossed. and just be vigilante about moving it for street cleaning). There's really not a lot of nightlife, but not sure if that matters to you. It doesn't to me and I can go downtown if I want that.

The small grocery store on Bergen & Duncan did close after the hurricane, but I've heard the new C-Town grocery on Monticello St. (about 2-4 blocks south of that building) is decent. And there is a C-town closer to JSQ & the Twin Cities Supermarker which isn't bad. The Duane Reade & the Rite Aid at JSQ are both 24 hours (as is the Walgreen's at Communipaw & JFK. Most bodegas/produce markets close by about 8pm (maybe a few are a little later, like the liquor stores). The produce markets are great and cheap (though not upscale organic, which doesn't faze me though I know it matters to some). Not nearly as many places to get takeout or delivery as there are downtown, but its not bad - there are options. And its about a 20 min. walk to the multitude of awesome Little India restaurants just past the JSQ station. Lincoln park is very nice, and there is a lot of bus and jitney service on JFK when you'd rather not walk to the path. These even run fairly late into the night, which I use a lot if out late and/or the weather is crummy and I'd rather not walk. Its about a 15-20 min. walk to the JSQ path.

The vintage Loews movie palace at JSQ has monthly screenings of wonderful films, all at a great cheap price. Plus the restored theater organ there is a treasure. You can get to downtown, the mall, and the shopping on Rte. 440 (which is improving a little) pretty easily via bus or car. There is also a fantastic vet on Westside Ave. right near the park if you have pets, as well as plenty of doctors and dentists offices in the JSQ area. Basic dry cleaners and laundromats are all over too.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 21:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you very much user1111. Your imput is really most helpful. I will soon make a decision whether I want to move there. I will also do a detailed walk-around to make sure I am not getting into something I would regret later.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcmoving wrote:
Hi, Has anyone recently looked at the 2520 Kennedy Building? And the area around it? I was curious about any thoughts about the area these days as recession slowly tries to recede. It seems like this post on this building last had active participants in 2009. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated as I try to make a decision where I move next. I am currently in NYC and will have to commute to the city from JC once I move. Thanks to all who respond in advance!

I lived on Belmont a few years back and I passed this building daily as I walk to and from the Path. I have never been inside the building, but the surrounding area is laid-back and the park is just across the road, which is lovely.

The Kennedy Boulevard side is nice, fairly clean but not many shops besides the liquor/drug store but the Bergen side was pretty different it has the most amenities like a gym, fruits and veggies shops, cleaners, bakeries, etc it also had lots of people hanging on the streets, trash everywhere , lots of drug trafficking and late night prostitution.

I avoided Bergen ave during off peak hours and only walked up Kennedy or sometimes West side (which also has some shopping).

The building from what I remember was nothing special, it has a huge lobby which I recall during the winter months lots of children playing in the lobby and a few men that would smoke cigars in front of the building.

The commute for me to Manhattan LES from there was about a hour and 10 min. I never took the bus from JSQ I always walked it, its a 16-20 min walk depending how fast you walk.

Good Luck!

By the way this was in 2010, so not sure if much has change....

Posted on: 2013/4/19 12:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/18 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Looked at a vacant unit there this weekend. The amount of space was impressive and there's what looks like a walk-in closet, storage unit or very tiny office in addition the the bedroom and gigantic living room. Also one of the only condos I've seen with eat-in kitchen.
The hallways could use a decorating pick-me-up, that's for sure, the paint chipped doors look like something out of Silent Hill. The elevator is a tiny and shaky, but there are stairways and the bldg is not that tall. Food for thought for me; the huzzy was not sold.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
i too visited 2520 JFK awhile back...the area immediately around the building is decent enough , a couple of blocks in either directions quickly changes things. i'll pass on this one

If I'm not mistaken thats the precise location of this recent crime.

mugging

Good call.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
i too visited 2520 JFK awhile back. the prices were low compared to downtown, but like xerxes pointed out, the maintenance seemed too high. the building itself is OLD (although the condos technically brand new - completely gutted). there is no doorman, and while the area immediately around the building is decent enough , a couple of blocks in either directions quickly changes things. i'll pass on this one

Posted on: 2009/8/26 22:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/21 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
I looked at several of the units at 2520 Kennedy and they looked good. There are a number of vacant and renovated 1 and 2 bedroom units in the the building for sale.

The realtor told me that the building is approved for FHA mortgages.

I was thinking of making an offer on a 1 bedroom, but I found out that my company may relocate me in the next few months.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
The thought of buying anything but a VACANT apartment always gives me the willies. Buying an occupied place on the word of the seller that "oh, the tenants are on a month-to-month lease and can be easily disposed of" or "all the elderly are GONE" would keep me awake nights. THat kept me from putting in a bid on "foot of Greene St." when it was converted ...it would have been MY duty to evict the tenant. Are these apartments being delivered vacant?

Posted on: 2009/8/21 11:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The thought of buying anything but a VACANT apartment always gives me the willies. Buying an occupied place on the word of the seller that "oh, the tenants are on a month-to-month lease and can be easily disposed of" or "all the elderly are GONE" would keep me awake nights. THat kept me from putting in a bid on "foot of Greene St." when it was converted ...it would have been MY duty to evict the tenant. Are these apartments being delivered vacant?

Posted on: 2009/8/21 11:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
the previous owner of the building stopped renewing leases like 4 years ago in this building and the elderly, rent controlled tenants are all moved out from what i understand.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Is this a doorman building? If not, the maintenace seems rather high for a condo which isn't carrying an overhanging building mortgage, nor paying any taxes?
That's a lot for heat, hot water and garbage takeout.
Gotta wonder if the "landlord" isn't laying off a lot of HIS expenses on the condo owners, month by month, since he is probably dealing with a lot of rent controlled tenants paying $300-600 per month for the forseeable future!

Remember, tenants get 40 year protection from eviction in a conversion if they are over 62. If a lot of the 70% renters are so protected it willl be a long tedious road getting the building out of the hands of the developer.

And it may well take an all-cash purchase because banks are not going to be happy with the third done convversion as moxiebaby stated.

But heck, if the two bedrooms come down to $125K, I might be persuaded.

But, oy...that daily trek to Journal Square seems daunting...and that bus is a CATTLE car. The couple times I've had to go to the Comcast Office were HELL in slow motion!

Posted on: 2009/8/19 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I read $350/month on Century21's site.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moxiebaby wrote:
http://www.homefinder.com/NJ/Jersey_C ... 7d_2520_Kennedy_Blvd_3_3e

There are some units available in this bldg but this price seems very high. However, the maintenance fee includes heat and hot water.
Of note, less than 30% of the units are owner occupied which is something banks look at when giving mortgages. I believe they want to see at least 50% - 80% owner occupied to give a mortgage.
I love the location of this building right opposite the entrance to Lincoln Park. Did any of the posters on this thread wind up moving into the bldg? When I was there yesterday there were a bunch of teenagers in the lobby singing "smack that ass" which ... well whatever ... .though I don't want them singing that to my mom when she visits.

How much is the maintainence ?

Posted on: 2009/8/18 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.homefinder.com/NJ/Jersey_C ... 7d_2520_Kennedy_Blvd_3_3e

There are some units available in this bldg but this price seems very high. However, the maintenance fee includes heat and hot water.
Of note, less than 30% of the units are owner occupied which is something banks look at when giving mortgages. I believe they want to see at least 50% - 80% owner occupied to give a mortgage.
I love the location of this building right opposite the entrance to Lincoln Park. Did any of the posters on this thread wind up moving into the bldg? When I was there yesterday there were a bunch of teenagers in the lobby singing "smack that ass" which ... well whatever ... .though I don't want them singing that to my mom when she visits.

Posted on: 2009/8/18 18:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/8 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I heard from my Realtor friend there's an Open House on this building today (Sunday, 2/8/09) from 12-5pm... I think prices have come down even more from the auction that they had a few weeks ago. Anyone planning on going? I might see you there!

Posted on: 2009/2/8 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Thanks Pennsteric for the excellent summary.

Condo fees seem a bit high for a building without any amenities (I doubt there's a doorman or a pool.)

I'm like you, I'll wait for the "steal" prices. But OH does a 1200 square foor unit have me salivating after spending many years in 650 useable (750 lanlordese) square feet that I've long outgrown.

(I'd hoped that the Dutch auction had gone the way of the Dodo but I guess we're stuck with it.)

Posted on: 2008/12/31 3:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/16 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Xer,

I did go to the auction and the distance to the PATH (8/10) to the PATH would have been a concern.

The units were REALLY nicely done, and from what I could tell the 800 or so SQFT on the 1 bed, & 1200 or so on the 2 beds were realistic. They were big, with great closet space.

Taxes were given (about $2500 on the 1 bed) & (about $4250 on the 2 bed), fees were estimated ($215/mo on 1 bed) & ($350/mo on 2 bed)....but the montly fees were not in stone, just estimates.

That was indeed the type of auction it was.

I thought the prices they sold for were reasonable, but no steals. And that was the only way I was going to buy one, if it was a steal.

Posted on: 2008/12/27 2:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/8 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
The square footage of that condo is actually 1244 square feet to be exact according to the blueprint. And yes, the unit is massive. And, no I don't benefit from skewing the square footage of the unit.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cyclotronic wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about the C-Town on Bergen. It's way better than the C-Town I used to go to in the East Village when I lived in NYC. The deli counter has decent brands like Boar's Head and Land of Lakes, and the store has a selection of interesting Middle Eastern products to appeal to the local Egyptian community.
also some organic produce and dairy. you can always get org milk, eggs. butter, olive oil at reasonable prices.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
pennsteric, Thanks for the info. I gather you were there, I decided I didn't want to be that far from transportation (and that bus is a cattle-car.) Did those square footages strike you as realistic or were they the typical real-estate speak where you are allotted part of the elevator, roof and garbage compactor? Did they say anything about taxes and condo fees? Did they use that preposterous DUTCH AUCTION spin-off methodology that was so prominent in the real estate depression of the OTHER Bush? (Bid on a batch of 5 and the high bid gets his choice.) <<$165K for an HONEST 1200 square feet strikes me as reasonable...even if it IS near Lincoln Park, but an HONEST 1200 square feet is hard to come by...and size IS everything! >>

Posted on: 2008/12/17 15:56

Re: 2520 Kennedy Blvd Condo Endgame
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Isn't that a cut-lunch and compass from anywhere - I'm surprised they got even that much !

Posted on: 2008/12/15 2:31
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

2520 Kennedy Blvd Condo Endgame

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/16 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
I looked at these renovation condos back in Spring and liked them. Neighborhood was decent, 8/10 mile from PATH train, and renovations were done very nicely.

Then the following condos were listed at the following prices:

$229k for 1 Bed/1 Bath 820sqft (down from $249k)

$340k for 2 bed/1 bath 1200sqft (down from $365k)

Over a year and almost none have sold. Developer finally threw in the towel and put up all 20 units at aucion.

The final actual sale prices for these units at the auction today were as follows:

$165-$200k for 2 bed/1bath
$120-$140k for 1 bed/1 bath

RE Market is currently in bad shape.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Oops, sorry,

I thought I'd initiated the thread called 2520 Kennedy but apparently it already existed from July and I got popped on the end.

Anyway the auction is December 14... 20 units, 8 selling absolute.

What were the 1 bedrooms going for back in July?

Posted on: 2008/11/25 4:23

2520 Kennedy Boulevard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Does anyone know anything about the block long apartment building on Kennedy between Kensington and Jewett.

They're auctioning off 20 apartments next month.

Posted on: 2008/11/25 4:15

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017