Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

JC woman, turning 104, credits red wine and chocolate
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

(I guess Healy would consider this great JC person an ?interloper? because she moved here in 1954)

Jersey City woman, turning 104, credits red wine and chocolate

By Ron Stein/The Jersey Journal
on April 13, 2013 at 3:00 AM, updated April 13, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Forget what the doctors and experts say, Alice Mospak says.

The key to a long life, at least her long life, is simple red wine and chocolate.

The longtime Jersey City resident turned 104 years old today, and there?s something on her schedule besides chocolate and wine dancing.

?I feel so good. I would like to dance!? Mospak said.

Mospak has called Jersey City home since 1954 and has been at the Atrium assisted-living facility at the Hamilton Park Wellness Center for the past seven years.

Even though she is the last living member of her family, Alice is considered family by the residents and staff at the Atrium. Staff members say she is by far the oldest person they?ve ever had at the facility.

?The mutual feeling of the residents and staff at the Atrium is one of amazement that year after year, Alice continues to remain as independent as possible,? said Atrium Activity Director Olivia Funghini. ?I think of Alice as a woman with true determination, inner strength and timeless beauty. She is a woman to be admired.?

Born in 1909, Mospak grew up an only child in Estonia. Her father, Gustav, was a ship captain during World War I. She had a close relationship with her mother, Elize Sepp, and the two would frequently go out dancing together.

She met her future husband, Leo, when both were 19 and the two wed when they turned 26. He died just four years later.

?My husband was very good to me,? Mospak said. ?When we got married, he said ?Alice, I don?t want to have babies because they will make your stomach hurt.? He was a good husband.?

Mospak and her mother came to America in 1951. She fondly recalls walking down Fifth Avenue in New York and exploring their new country.

?Right away, my mama was crazy about America,? Mospak said. ?We were so free and it was so beautiful.?

Mospak worked until she was 92, and was in Manhattan the day of the 9/11 attacks.

JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ty_woman_turning_104.html

Buy the JJ ?a good newspaper

Posted on: 2013/4/14 22:15

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact