Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: NYTimes article "Moving deeper into Brooklyn for lower home prices" -- getting lots of JC comments
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Which NJ cities aside from Hoboken (which we have easy access to) have more nightlife? Morristown, New Brunswick, Atlantic City...that's about it.

And outside of Manhattan in the boroughs? Perhaps Astoria and Williamsburg. You think Bed-Stuy or Bushwick or Crown Heights have nightlife?

Do any of these places (aside from Hoboken which might) pay anywhere near as much property tax/rent as DTJC? I think not! It doesn't seem unreasonable to expect we would have more options (restaurants and/or nightlife) considering this.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 13:53

Re: NYTimes article "Moving deeper into Brooklyn for lower home prices" -- getting lots of JC comments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Just heard a piece on the radio about the Domino plant in Brooklyn. They are planning to include a promenade (hopefully with some flood-mitigating natural areas) and get-downs so people have access to the river. We need development with elements like that in JC.
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I think the old Domino Sugar Plant by the Williamsburg Bridge is getting condos any day.

Funny -- Baltimore has both a sister powerhouse to ours and a matching Domino Factory to Williamsburg's (though Baltimore's Domino factory did blow up a few years back)

Realy cute video -- click
http://vimeo.com/61254689

Posted on: 2013/3/19 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I think the old Domino Sugar Plant by the Williamsburg Bridge is getting condos any day.

Funny -- Baltimore has both a sister powerhouse to ours and a matching Domino Factory to Williamsburg's (though Baltimore's Domino factory did blow up a few years back)

Realy cute video -- click
http://vimeo.com/61254689

Posted on: 2013/3/18 21:57

Edited by GrovePath on 2013/3/18 22:13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Which NJ cities aside from Hoboken (which we have easy access to) have more nightlife? Morristown, New Brunswick, Atlantic City...that's about it.

And outside of Manhattan in the boroughs? Perhaps Astoria and Williamsburg. You think Bed-Stuy or Bushwick or Crown Heights have nightlife?

Astoria not so much. Bud-stuy does, but only along its borders, where its overflow from other neighborhoods. Bushwick and Crown Heights definitely do. Oh wait, the real estate brokers have started calling that part of Crown Heights Prospect Heights.

There are not douchebage bottle service places in these neighborhoods, but there are live music venues, lounges, dance clubs and crowded bars, plus plenty of illegal venues.

Posted on: 2013/3/16 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/16 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Sort of on topic...

?Gut Renovation? is a documentary that tells a familiar tale. It chronicles buildings torn down, communities elbowed out, and new residents ushered in as a tidal wave of gentrification swept through Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

http://nyti.ms/13PVqIf

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/nyr ... burgs-transformation.html

I actually suggest everyone watch that video because that woman is an example of everything wrong with a person who claims to care about her neighborhood.

Here is the ONE SENTENCE that can summarize why she is a menace to neighborhoods, said beautifully by her:

(Talking about the neighborhood before gentrification) "Fields with tall weeds and junkies would hang out in them..but I don't care, I can just go hangout and read a book and think and ugh, look at the water, so um some people didn't think it was so great but I personally loved it." Su Friedrich

Anyone who loves junkies, abandoned buildings, empty lots of fields should gtfo the way because they are the detriment to their own neighborhood getting better.

Oh you can't stand your neighborhood's property values are higher now than before? You can't stand not being robbed and having to worry about crime? You can't stand that there are organic facials versus 99 cent stores? Oh, you are now too poor and want subsidized rent? gtfo and cry me a river

The best part of the story is she moved out and bought a home in Bed-Stuy, just another gentrifyer that she kvetches about!

Posted on: 2013/3/16 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Saying JC has nightlife is like saying your crazy uncle who is able to pull coins out of kids' ears is a magician.

[!IFRAME FILTERED! ]

Posted on: 2013/3/15 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MightyOz wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Saying JC has nightlife is like saying your crazy uncle who is able to pull coins out of kids' ears is a magician.

LOL +1

Highly subjective as to what makes good nightlife. But whatever it is, not many would say JC has it.

I suppose that is except for all the people who are packed into the bars every time I go out on a Friday or Saturday night. We certainly don't have entertainment and we don't have clubs but we do have a lot of people out spending money late into the night.

It's all relative, and relative to the vast majority of places one could choose to live JC has a lot of nightlife.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Sort of on topic...

?Gut Renovation? is a documentary that tells a familiar tale. It chronicles buildings torn down, communities elbowed out, and new residents ushered in as a tidal wave of gentrification swept through Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

I actually suggest everyone watch that video because that woman is an example of everything wrong with a person who claims to care about her neighborhood.

Here is the ONE SENTENCE that can summarize why she is a menace to neighborhoods, said beautifully by her:

(Talking about the neighborhood before gentrification) "Fields with tall weeds and junkies would hang out in them..but I don't care, I can just go hangout and read a book and think and ugh, look at the water, so um some people didn't think it was so great but I personally loved it." Su Friedrich

Anyone who loves junkies, abandoned buildings, empty lots of fields should gtfo the way because they are the detriment to their own neighborhood getting better.

Oh you can't stand your neighborhood's property values are higher now than before? You can't stand not being robbed and having to worry about crime? You can't stand that there are organic facials versus 99 cent stores? Oh, you are now too poor and want subsidized rent? gtfo and cry me a river

Posted on: 2013/3/15 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sort of on topic...

Posted on: 2013/3/15 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
. One person said it perfectly. DTJC doesn't have the upscale amenities to merit the steep rent increases. Big reason I left DTJC after 15 years for other parts of JC. The cost didn't merit it any longer.

Yep, I agree. I was paying 14k in taxes living down there, I sold and got the fuk out. It was not worth it anymore. I now pay 4k in taxes with a 2 extra bedrooms and have the same 99 cents stores on Ocean as I did on Newark ave, and my commute is now 33 min door to door to my work oppose to 19 min, but I can live with it.

Plus, not to mention the nightmare crowded-ness of the Grove St. PATH station with all this new development. We've all been saying since post-9/11, when the closure of Exchange Place forced thousands to use Grove St. station and we experienced commuting like sardines, that the projected amount of new residences on the building project slate would be a transportation nightmare if the PATH didn't expand along side all these new buildings popping up. Yet, nothing has improved there.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

LOL +1

Highly subjective as to what makes good nightlife. But whatever it is, not many would say JC has it.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:48
Follow the yellow brick road.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, one Dollar Store is definitely enough for a neighborhood. Surprising that more than one can stay in business. I have gone into them on occasion to get stuff like aluminum foil and plastic wrap, but I was actually very disappointed in the quality of such items.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I think the Dollar Stores on Newark will be getting priced out sooner or later.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
There are dollar stores in the mall and by the A&P.

I like the dollar stores, you can sometimes get good deals or interesting items.

I would just prefer Newark Avenue not have so many. It would be nicer to have more restaurants or bars right in the center of the neighborhood instead.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Maybe these stores all seemed a bit classier when we called them "dollar parlors." You have to have a certain accent, which I don't, to pronounce that right.

For the price everyone seems to exit with a happy ending !

Posted on: 2013/3/15 14:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe these stores all seemed a bit classier when we called them "dollar parlors." You have to have a certain accent, which I don't, to pronounce that right.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Didn't mean to hijack the thread with bike lights!! Just shows the love for the cheap stuff! Forgot to mention they use AA & AAA, rather than expensive coin batteries like the high end ones often do.

Here's the item from an ebay listing
Resized Image

And here's where it's at:http://goo.gl/maps/d1FsB West side of Central north of Griffith.

What is the price ?? on each ?

Posted on: 2013/3/15 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Didn't mean to hijack the thread with bike lights!! Just shows the love for the cheap stuff! Forgot to mention they use AA & AAA, rather than expensive coin batteries like the high end ones often do.

Here's the item from an ebay listing
Resized Image

And here's where it's at:http://goo.gl/maps/d1FsB West side of Central north of Griffith.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Which shop has those bike lights you mentioned Brewster? I'd like a few sets.
From another 99cents shop I got little push button stick on flashing lights, two assorted colours in a pack for 99cents.
99cents shops are like general stores of old, you never know what you'll find, the most useful and most interesting shops to browse in Jersey City. Robin.

What is this bike light you speak of ? Actually I'm interested in them what is it like and is it a pair for front and rear ?

Posted on: 2013/3/14 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I agree. I love browsing the 99c stores. I once found some cord de-tanglers for my office phone. Cheap and useful. I know some people here think the stores are tacky and bother their line of sight, but i don't mind.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Which shop has those bike lights you mentioned Brewster? I'd like a few sets.

From another 99cents shop I got little push button stick on flashing lights, two assorted colours in a pack for 99cents.

99cents shops are like general stores of old, you never know what you'll find, the most useful and most interesting shops to browse in Jersey City.

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Boy, this is such a hoot, people insisting that what's right for them should be right for everybody!

What's right for me, its not right for most on JClist, my priorities are different, than most here. I came to JC when it was a bargain, dtjc is no longer a bargain. When I am ready to pay over 10k in property taxes again it will be for a stand alone house with land in a place like Saddle Brook not Jersey City. To be honest, I prefer most of you to stay dtjc until I leave in a few years.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Boy, this is such a hoot, people insisting that what's right for them should be right for everybody! Different strokes, folks. There's plenty of people who would happily pay $10k not to live on Ocean, but that's the way it goes, plenty of people though we were nuts leaving a nice stabilized 2 BR on the UWS for Downtown 16 years ago.

Personally, I like having nice restaurants to go to occasionally, but I frequent the vast array of cheap eats places for lunch far, far more. I miss each one that has closed over the years, Lisa's Roti most of all. And I do like dollar stores, if there were none downtown I would have to go to Central ave even more than I do. Did you know that not all Dollar stores carry the same crap, it only looks like it. There's one on Central that sells a set of front and rear flashing LED bike lights for $4! Surely there's room for that and $5 cupcakes?

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
. One person said it perfectly. DTJC doesn't have the upscale amenities to merit the steep rent increases. Big reason I left DTJC after 15 years for other parts of JC. The cost didn't merit it any longer.

Yep, I agree. I was paying 14k in taxes living down there, I sold and got the fuk out. It was not worth it anymore. I now pay 4k in taxes with a 2 extra bedrooms and have the same 99 cents stores on Ocean as I did on Newark ave, and my commute is now 33 min door to door to my work oppose to 19 min, but I can live with it.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I love how some of the newer people - who knew the sort of retail we have downtown BEFORE they CHOSE to move here - now think they are entitled to say all those places should leave. WOW. How about you GTFO with your nasty, entitled attitude?

Do I think there is room for growth of different types of new businesses? Absolutely. Do I think one should expect things to suddenly "gentrify" or "gentrify more" simply because they move in and pay a high rent? Hellz no. You knew what you were signing up for when you signed your lease/mortgage. If this place wasn't up to snuff for you already, why move here and poison it with your bad attitude?

My comment about what I think rents should be (and of course I know its market driven, but I can dream) was gotten by some folks - it has to do with the relation to amenities in the neighborhood. One person said it perfectly. DTJC doesn't have the upscale amenities to merit the steep rent increases. Big reason I left DTJC after 15 years for other parts of JC. The cost didn't merit it any longer.

First of all, you can call me out by name, it's okay. How do you determine the value of something you have never experienced? To get the same amenities in NYC as you get in a luxury high rise like 77 Hudson or Crystal Point, you would pay 4x as much. There is value in those places compared to NYC. Just because you don't understand value, doesn't mean there is none

Posted on: 2013/3/14 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I love how some of the newer people - who knew the sort of retail we have downtown BEFORE they CHOSE to move here - now think they are entitled to say all those places should leave. WOW. How about you GTFO with your nasty, entitled attitude?

Do I think there is room for growth of different types of new businesses? Absolutely. Do I think one should expect things to suddenly "gentrify" or "gentrify more" simply because they move in and pay a high rent? Hellz no. You knew what you were signing up for when you signed your lease/mortgage. If this place wasn't up to snuff for you already, why move here and poison it with your bad attitude?

My comment about what I think rents should be (and of course I know its market driven, but I can dream) was gotten by some folks - it has to do with the relation to amenities in the neighborhood. One person said it perfectly. DTJC doesn't have the upscale amenities to merit the steep rent increases. Big reason I left DTJC after 15 years for other parts of JC. The cost didn't merit it any longer.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 15:25

Edited by OneSkirt on 2013/3/14 15:54:22
Edited by OneSkirt on 2013/3/14 15:55:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The discrepancy in rents (very high) versus the quality of current retail choices on Newark Ave (very low) is almost absurd at this point. When decent 1-bedrooms were in the $1100-1300 range, you accepted Sleep Cheap and 99 Cent Dreams, now it's like an insult.

HA!!! Exactly my point.

Whenever I walk by those establishments, I make sure to give my "you're not welcome in this neighborhood" look to the store owners and the people who frequent those establishments

No, you don't.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
I think it's really sweet that someone's 'friends' tell them the reason they won't visit with them is because they have 99 cent stores in their neighborhood.

yeah, my friends are as sweet as me.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Out of curiosity, I google mapped .99 stores.
google map of .99 stores

(give it a second to load)
All those tiny red dots...I wonder if everyone in BK is as pissed as DTJC is about them.

yes
http://brooklynian.com/forum/crown-he ... not-another-99-cent-store

Posted on: 2013/3/13 21:20

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact