Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Fulop for Mayor TV commercials
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cheezsnak wrote:
@catdog...I'm not big into politics, but . . . with Fulop, I don't think a lot of people know all the behind the scene stuff he does and how he's all about Fulop, not the resident of JC. At this point I don't know who I'm voting for, but I have my favorites on each ticket and independant candidates who I'd push for if I had to.

@SOS I think the ad was quite effective. I though th it was funny and informative. Just because Fulop hasn't gotten caught yet doesn't mean he's not doing anything behind the scenes.

What a crock. Claiming to be a disinterested voter who pays no attention to politics while pretending to know "behind the scenes stuff." People who read these threads are not stupid.

What a lot of residents of his Ward know about Steve is that he is an unfailingly responsive. To me, that's the exact opposite of "all about Fulop." On the other hand anyone can see that Healy disappears for three-and-a-half years and then announces a lot of plans before an election that don't seem to come to pass after it.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, Ahab's graphic is right on!

It's amazing how little is necessary to cause a big change. All we really need is 20,000 votes.

Let's do it, people! Let's cause the change we need. Oust the bastards and let's get smart, honest people working for us in City Hall.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
ahab just nailed it on the head. There is a sea change coming, much to Healy and the Machines chagrin. Over the last few years a more educated voter has been moving into town and soon our numbers will be greater than the rubber stampers of the old guard. This smarter voter - this "interloper" (as Healy calls us) terrifies them to no end.

The onus is on us to make this change a reality.

If you haven't donated to Steven's campaign it's easy to do and he needs your help!

www.stevenfulop.com

Vote Fulop!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/2 0:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users

I wish more JC'ers in every ward knew how much power we hold over our city government simply by voting?or not voting?this month.

A vote in opposition to Team Healy is an important step to begin pushing back against the ruinous Machine JC's past non-voters created.

Either you vote the Machine out, or don't vote and allow the odious Machine to continue.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/5/1 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cheezsnak wrote:
@catdog...I'm not big into politics,........, with Fulop, I don't think a lot of people know all the behind the scene stuff he does and how he's all about Fulop, not the resident of JC.

Me thinks you are a lot bigger into politics than you think you are having us believe.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/1 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cheezsnak wrote:
With Healy at least you know what you're geeting...

Well put. With Healy we indeed know what we are 'geeting'

-- someone who is an embarrassment, a poor judge of character (see all the people he appointed who turned out to be corrupt), and someone who has maintained a dirty city full of potholes.

We have someone who stacks city government with friends and family, uses the Jersey City Incinerator Authority as a patronage mill, and continually lies to citizens.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:53
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
@catdog...I'm not big into politics, but with everything being shoved in my face by Fulop and Healy with all these commercials I thought I'd put in my two cents. I feel no matter which candidate wins the city will be in disarray. With Healy at least you know what you're geeting, with Fulop, I don't think a lot of people know all the behind the scene stuff he does and how he's all about Fulop, not the resident of JC. At this point I don't know who I'm voting for, but I have my favorites on each ticket and independant candidates who I'd push for if I had to.

@SOS I think the ad was quite effective. I though th it was funny and informative. Just because Fulop hasn't gotten caught yet doesn't mean he's not doing anything behind the scenes.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cheez you think that is an effective ad? What message does this send to prospective voters? That Healy is a bully? That message isn't resonating with the public. We know that over the last two terms Healy has mismanaged the city, and at times embarrassed us (Bradley Beach drunken incident, involvement in Operation Bid Rig, etc.) Healy has to go and lucky for us we have a seasoned, competent public servant ready to take his place. I don't know who's going to win, but from now until election day I'm doing all that I can to help Fulop get elected. He's been a great ward E councilman, and will be a great mayor.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:Kinda weird how a guy who first posted "I'm not big into politics" now has 6 posts, all about politics, shilling for one candidate or attacking another.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 23:54
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/24 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
This is off topic -- but I just saw this on Netflix

...Resized Image

Financial writer Paul Thompson sets out to swim the entire 150-mile length of the lower Hudson River with help from two friends -- who are unaware of Paul's real objective.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Against_the_Current/70112488

Posted on: 2013/4/24 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
This is a photo from a few days after the FBI sting arrests. Who do you suppose caused the cuts and bruises? An angry relative of Leona Beldini? Maybe his wife? Vega? Jack Shaw?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/18 4:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lifers head: ?Baffling to me?
Annette Joyner, executive director of Friends of the Lifers, is the most recent resident to level criticisms.
Addressing Fulop at the March 13 City Council meeting and referencing Fulop?s question about gun violence in ?How Many,? Joyner said, ?That shouldn?t be asked of these youth. They have enough to deal with. They have enough with them going to school, fighting bullies. Some of these kids can?t even go home to a home-cooked meal.?

Unless I'm mistaken, Ms. Joyner doesn't actually know the children involved. She shouldn't be making prejudicial judgments about what these kids' home lives are like, or what's appropriate to talk to them about.

I know kids in Jersey City who've heard gunfire (the actual question asked). And I know kids who've been exposed to a lot worse, from violence in their homes, to witnessing violence in their neighborhood, to losing people they know to prison or violence.

They reality of our neighborhoods is bad enough. NOT TALKING ABOUT IT IS WORSE.

If we do not talk about it, we will find it impossible to do anything about it. Unlike the Mayor, who's committed to an "everything's great" position, Steve Fulop believes we have to do something about it. Unlike the Mayor, who's had 9 years in office without a clear strategy to combat crime and the causes of crime, Steve Fulop has a plan and a commitment to take this on.

The posturing will continue. But the outrage is that we have not aggressively tried to end the scourge of violence in our communities. It's time to roll up our sleeves, admit we've got a problem, and start working on it.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 3:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/27 22:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Fulop?s ?How Many? kids ad still rankles
Community group latest to criticize campaign spot

by E. Assata Wright
Reporter staff writer

More questions were raised regarding a political ad released by the campaign of Ward E City Councilman and mayoral candidate Steven Fulop that involves children and a well-known grassroots organization in Ward F. Additional questions were also raised about a policy paper Fulop?s campaign released recently on strategies to connect former prisoners with jobs upon their release from jail.

Fulop?s television ad, titled ?How Many,? has drawn criticism for its use of black elementary school-aged children, whom some people feel were exploited for political purposes.

The ad begins with Fulop, seated next to an African American man in a Jersey City police officer uniform, asking the kids, ?How many people have ever heard, in their neighborhood, gunshots??

A majority of the children raise their hands.

At the time the ad was released, Fulop said they were Jersey City residents who came from ?all over.? Some of the children, Fulop said, were recruited for the ad from churches, community groups, and summer camps he has been affiliated with over the years. Some of the children he said he had met through Friends of the Lifers, a community group in Jersey City that works with at-risk youth and recently released ex-offenders.

The parents of the children who were filmed in the commercial, Fulop said, gave consent for their kids to be part of the commercial and were present, off-screen, when the political ad was taped.

In the weeks surrounding the release of ?How Many,? Fulop?s mayoral campaign also issued policy papers on crime/public safety and prisoner reentry. These three campaign pieces, and a fourth on economic development and job creation, were meant to dovetail one another and give an overview of how the candidate will address these challenging issues if elected. However, two of these campaign pieces have raised more questions about the candidate than the issues themselves.

Annette Joyner, executive director of Friends of the Lifers, is the most recent resident to level criticisms.

Addressing Fulop at the March 13 City Council meeting and referencing Fulop?s question about gun violence in ?How Many,? Joyner said, ?That shouldn?t be asked of these youth. They have enough to deal with. They have enough with them going to school, fighting bullies. Some of these kids can?t even go home to a home-cooked meal.?

Another community activist, LaVerne Washington, has raised similar complaints.

Joyner, who was joined by several protesters at the council meeting, later said she felt ?used? knowing that some of the children who had been involved in her program were recruited for the campaign piece.

She also took issue with the policy paper on prisoner reentry.

When asked several weeks ago by the Reporter who had been consulted when drafting the prisoner reentry paper, Fulop said Friends of the Lifers was among the groups he reached out to, in addition to people within the law enforcement community and court system.

Joyner disputed this account last week.

?His office called me last summer to come here [City Hall] and speak to him about reentry. His office said the city might want to help us with some of our work,? Joyner told the Reporter. She said she was under the impression the meeting would deal with funding opportunities for her organization.

At this meeting, Fulop acknowledges, Joyner met with a group of his high school interns, not with the councilman himself. The interns, he said, were there to gather information on prisoner reentry, not to discuss funding.

Fulop and Joyner had no further contact in the months that followed.

?Then I see his reentry plan as part of his [anti-crime] initiative,? said Joyner. ?What?s baffling to me is, if he wants to do this reentry piece, and he knows that Friends of the Lifers is doing this work, ?cause he put it in his [policy paper], why wouldn?t he come to the programs that are already doing this and bring everybody together to discuss reentry??

Joyner added that some of the information she passed along to Fulop?s interns ended up being included in the policy paper, even though she and other community groups never had a sit-down meeting with Fulop personally.

The councilman believes the meeting between Joyner and the high school student interns means his office ?reached out to her? for input on the policy paper; Joyner clearly believes it does not.

Fulop: It?s all political

Fulop remains unfazed by the controversy and believes the criticism is coming from people allied with his political opponents.

?I?m the only candidate in this race running on issues. You look at every one of the papers we?ve put out and they are all issue-oriented and solution-oriented,? he noted. ?Compare that to what you have on the other side, which is nothing.?

The city administers the Second Chance Program, which was launched in 2001 by the late Glenn D. Cunningham when he was mayor. The program is viewed elsewhere as a model.

Fulop?s primary competitor in the race for mayor is incumbent Jerramiah T. Healy. Candidates Jerry Walker and Abdul Malik also filed petitions to run for mayor by the March 11 deadline.

Fulop dismissed Joyner?s criticisms last week, saying that she is motivated by ?politics.?

?In my seven years on the City Council, this is the first time that she has shown up at the City Council meeting, and where her support is on the mayoral campaign is very clear,? Fulop stated. ?Sixty days before an election, she shows up here with people with [protest] signs. This seems very, very politically motivated.?

Joyner is a supporter of at-large City Councilwoman Viola Richardson, who is running for reelection on Healy?s slate. But she insists she ?usually don?t get involved with politics,? but plans to be active this year. She said Fulop and his Ward F candidate, City Councilwoman Diane Coleman, ?won?t be getting many votes, not out of Ward F.?

Coleman has been criticized for stating several weeks ago that ?everybody? in Ward F would be ineligible for a federally funded job training program since only people without a criminal record can participate in the program. She later explained that she had been joking when she made the statement.

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... ey_city_story_left_column

I liked the Aquaman movie a lot more.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop?s ?How Many? kids ad still rankles
Community group latest to criticize campaign spot

by E. Assata Wright
Reporter staff writer

More questions were raised regarding a political ad released by the campaign of Ward E City Councilman and mayoral candidate Steven Fulop that involves children and a well-known grassroots organization in Ward F. Additional questions were also raised about a policy paper Fulop?s campaign released recently on strategies to connect former prisoners with jobs upon their release from jail.

Fulop?s television ad, titled ?How Many,? has drawn criticism for its use of black elementary school-aged children, whom some people feel were exploited for political purposes.

The ad begins with Fulop, seated next to an African American man in a Jersey City police officer uniform, asking the kids, ?How many people have ever heard, in their neighborhood, gunshots??

A majority of the children raise their hands.

At the time the ad was released, Fulop said they were Jersey City residents who came from ?all over.? Some of the children, Fulop said, were recruited for the ad from churches, community groups, and summer camps he has been affiliated with over the years. Some of the children he said he had met through Friends of the Lifers, a community group in Jersey City that works with at-risk youth and recently released ex-offenders.

The parents of the children who were filmed in the commercial, Fulop said, gave consent for their kids to be part of the commercial and were present, off-screen, when the political ad was taped.

In the weeks surrounding the release of ?How Many,? Fulop?s mayoral campaign also issued policy papers on crime/public safety and prisoner reentry. These three campaign pieces, and a fourth on economic development and job creation, were meant to dovetail one another and give an overview of how the candidate will address these challenging issues if elected. However, two of these campaign pieces have raised more questions about the candidate than the issues themselves.

Another community activist, LaVerne Washington, has raised similar complaints.

Joyner, who was joined by several protesters at the council meeting, later said she felt ?used? knowing that some of the children who had been involved in her program were recruited for the campaign piece.

She also took issue with the policy paper on prisoner reentry.

When asked several weeks ago by the Reporter who had been consulted when drafting the prisoner reentry paper, Fulop said Friends of the Lifers was among the groups he reached out to, in addition to people within the law enforcement community and court system.

Joyner disputed this account last week.

?His office called me last summer to come here [City Hall] and speak to him about reentry. His office said the city might want to help us with some of our work,? Joyner told the Reporter. She said she was under the impression the meeting would deal with funding opportunities for her organization.

At this meeting, Fulop acknowledges, Joyner met with a group of his high school interns, not with the councilman himself. The interns, he said, were there to gather information on prisoner reentry, not to discuss funding.

Fulop and Joyner had no further contact in the months that followed.

?Then I see his reentry plan as part of his [anti-crime] initiative,? said Joyner. ?What?s baffling to me is, if he wants to do this reentry piece, and he knows that Friends of the Lifers is doing this work, ?cause he put it in his [policy paper], why wouldn?t he come to the programs that are already doing this and bring everybody together to discuss reentry??

Joyner added that some of the information she passed along to Fulop?s interns ended up being included in the policy paper, even though she and other community groups never had a sit-down meeting with Fulop personally.

The councilman believes the meeting between Joyner and the high school student interns means his office ?reached out to her? for input on the policy paper; Joyner clearly believes it does not.

Fulop: It?s all political

Fulop remains unfazed by the controversy and believes the criticism is coming from people allied with his political opponents.

?I?m the only candidate in this race running on issues. You look at every one of the papers we?ve put out and they are all issue-oriented and solution-oriented,? he noted. ?Compare that to what you have on the other side, which is nothing.?

The city administers the Second Chance Program, which was launched in 2001 by the late Glenn D. Cunningham when he was mayor. The program is viewed elsewhere as a model.

Fulop?s primary competitor in the race for mayor is incumbent Jerramiah T. Healy. Candidates Jerry Walker and Abdul Malik also filed petitions to run for mayor by the March 11 deadline.

Fulop dismissed Joyner?s criticisms last week, saying that she is motivated by ?politics.?

?In my seven years on the City Council, this is the first time that she has shown up at the City Council meeting, and where her support is on the mayoral campaign is very clear,? Fulop stated. ?Sixty days before an election, she shows up here with people with [protest] signs. This seems very, very politically motivated.?

Joyner is a supporter of at-large City Councilwoman Viola Richardson, who is running for reelection on Healy?s slate. But she insists she ?usually don?t get involved with politics,? but plans to be active this year. She said Fulop and his Ward F candidate, City Councilwoman Diane Coleman, ?won?t be getting many votes, not out of Ward F.?

Coleman has been criticized for stating several weeks ago that ?everybody? in Ward F would be ineligible for a federally funded job training program since only people without a criminal record can participate in the program. She later explained that she had been joking when she made the statement.

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... ey_city_story_left_column

Posted on: 2013/3/17 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
There are much easier ways to get publicity than taking on Jersey City's entrenched machine. He's been at it for years.

Politics is an entrenched machine. Most of us have the luxury of righteousness at our disposal where our opinions of what is ?correct? is involved, but public figures do not. They can?t grind the gears forever without eventually stripping them.

This is the defeatism that allows the status quo to survive. I hope we are about to lay it to rest.

On one hand, there?s the embarrassing made-for-TV political machine that Jersey City has been suffering for decades--one that doesn?t require a cynical outlook to understand the harm it causes. This obviously where Steven has the potential to do the most good and he has my support there.

On the other hand, there?s just the nature of politics and the reality of compromise. If Steven is elected, he will have to find reasonably productive means to work with people who will oppose him if only for the sake of opposing him. A politician doesn?t always get to have his or her way, even if it?s also what the majority of voters want, and this is where I'm a bit more skeptical. But hey, we have to start somewhere.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 15:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/1 3:20
Group:
Registered Users
We can only blame ourselves for what we have now. But we finally have a chance to change that.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 23:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Politics is an entrenched machine.

You've perfectly described the crony corruption of the HCDeadO.

It remains to be seen how much Fulop could change that if he's elected. But there are encouraging signs.

The Board of Ed headed by Charles Epps was an entrenched machine. That's been cracked open a bit, and reports from parents and teachers so far give Dr. Lyles high marks for her professionalism and education focus.

The City Council was an entrenched machine. Fulop cast an awful lot of lonely 8-1 votes opposing downtown abatements and introducing reforms. But Healy's guys have been going to jail and down in electoral flames, and Fulop's winning most votes now. If he gets most of his council team in, that entrenched machine will have really changed.

If you expect everything to change instantly, that's a recipe for stripping your gears and losing hope. If you work steadily for change, you might get somewhere.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
There are much easier ways to get publicity than taking on Jersey City's entrenched machine. He's been at it for years.

Politics is an entrenched machine. Most of us have the luxury of righteousness at our disposal where our opinions of what is ?correct? is involved, but public figures do not. They can?t grind the gears forever without eventually stripping them.

This is the defeatism that allows the status quo to survive. I hope we are about to lay it to rest.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 4:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Good enough to make a headline.

Resized Image

Fulop's ad and Healy's fundraising ineptness (or criminality, take your pick) propelled them each
to the top of PolitickerNJ's statewide winners and losers list: Week of the Hudson Crossing

By Politicker Staff | March 1st, 2013 - 12:43pm

Jersey City Mayoral candidate Steve Fulop?s ?Swimming the Hudson? ad sent a ripple of glee through the camp of Jersey City Mayor Jerry Healy.

But the Healy people weren?t laughing by the end of the week?

WINNERS
[#1] Steve Fulop

The Jersey City mayoral candidate wounded opponent Jerry Healy this week when the Fulop campaign forced the mayor to return monies apparently raised in violation of the Election Law Enforcement Commission?s rules.

LOSERS
[#1] Jerry Healy

Facing accusations from Councilman Steve Fulop that his campaign sought to circumvent campaign finance rules at a fundraiser Wednesday, the incumbent Jersey City mayor is returning all of the money raised at the event.

Posted on: 2013/3/2 4:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PlainSlice wrote:
...but it misses the boat for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qSECWoYrzA

Posted on: 2013/3/1 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, my favorite Dr. Katz episode!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8wN_cA-fQg

Posted on: 2013/3/1 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/1 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/28 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
How many people would have had the stomach for such an undertaking?

How many aspiring senators are there?

Posted on: 2013/2/28 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think the imagery is about the perseverance needed to take on the machine in JC. How many people would have had the stomach for such an undertaking?

Posted on: 2013/2/28 19:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Nice try, out of the box, tells the story simply. Probably a good ad but it misses the boat for me.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Calculating and well produced. Nice work!

Posted on: 2013/2/28 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
At least Steve hasn't started glowing nuclear orange yet :)

Posted on: 2013/2/28 13:51

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017