Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »

Re: Flooding in Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/9 18:27
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone tell me where the Sandy flood line was in Harismus Cover in the area of 4th St? Seeing a lot of conflicting info on the web and lookinng to move into the area. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meltedopsicle wrote:
Quote:

BRITBOY wrote:
Did the taqueria get hit again?

I just passed by. They're ok - just a bit of mopping.

You'd think they'd move to a different location...

Posted on: 2013/5/8 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
when is jersey City/JCMUA going to reopen/restart its pumping stations.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
My adventure was around 7:30 am during the heavy rain. The flooding on Grand and Grove seemed more across the street from Taqueria maybe that is the lower side of Grove. That is where the parked cars along Grove were under water up to about half their doors.

Funny the intersection of Rt 440/1&9 and Communipaw was dry as a bone. That used to really flood.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

meltedopsicle wrote:
Quote:

BRITBOY wrote:

Gross.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/11/22 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BRITBOY wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BRITBOY wrote:

Don't think so.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/23 18:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I just rode my bike through the Grove & Grand area a little bit after 10 a.m. I didn't notice anything amiss - whatever flooding there was must have drained pretty quickly. There was a flash flood warning earlier this morning for Hudson County, lower Manhattan etc. Whenever I hear that, I know to steer clear of Hoboken and the usual streets in JC that flood easily.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:30

Edited by JadedJC on 2013/5/8 14:53:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

1010 WINS reporter, others stranded on flooded Jersey City streets

By Aiyana Cronk/The Jersey Journal

on May 08, 2013 at 10:07 AM, updated May 08, 2013 at 10:09 AM

The combination of high tide and heavy rains has turned Grove Street in Jersey City to a small lake, stranding motorists and making it nearly impossible to get around the area.

Jon Montone, a reporter for 1010 WINS radio, went to the area to do a report on the flooding an became part of the story when he got stranded at 18th Street.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... e_stree.html#incart_river

Quote:
Jersey City flooding 5/8/2013

Downtown Jersey City is a mess.

Grand and Center - Center Street is under water all the way to Ferris , closed, cars stuck in middle.

Grand and Pacific ? Flooded, lights are out, thank god for the crossing guards.(great job)

Grand and Grove ? under water, water is up to about half the car doors along Grove. (sorry)

Grand and Marin ? under water.

I gave up and turned back after a while.

Not one JCPD, City Truck, or FDJC in sight. ( maybe the FDJC were pumping by Healy?s bar)

When I say under water I mean sidewalks and street almost impassable. But cars are trying to plow through.

Oh I did see a big city truck at Crescent and Communipaw it was parked and the two guys were getting breakfast.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City flooding 5/8/2013

Downtown Jersey City is a mess.

Grand and Center - Center Street is under water all the way to Ferris , closed, cars stuck in middle.

Grand and Pacific ? Flooded, lights are out, thank god for the crossing guards.(great job)

Grand and Grove ? under water, water is up to about half the car doors along Grove. (sorry)

Grand and Marin ? under water.

I gave up and turned back after a while.

Not one JCPD, City Truck, or FDJC in sight. ( maybe the FDJC were pumping by Healy?s bar)

When I say under water I mean sidewalks and street almost impassable. But cars are trying to plow through.

Oh I did see a big city truck at Crescent and Communipaw it was parked and the two guys were getting breakfast.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
It is vital you call in any sewer related problems. Even if you think there will be no resolve, this gets reported quarterly to the EPA and shows where the problems are. I usually hear from the JCMUA that no one called in and the quarterly reports confirm this. We have made great headway with the JCMUA after Irene and want to push as hard as we can to getting viable solutions in place. The pumps downtown will have taken nearly 2 years to install (in August) so your voices being heard as soon as possible and as often as possible will create an important record for prioritizing future projects.

Call 201-432-1150 and press 0 for customer service.

This also takes the politics out of it. The JCMUA will tell the mayor's office that certain situations need attention and they will have the call log to prove it.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 13:07
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well there is a principle involved here regardless of how much the land is worth. If you are going to continue to build new homes (1 family or 100 families) then you can't rake in the taxes and ignore the infrastructure, bottom line.

There is something strongly unethical about allowing more development and also shrugging your shoulders to say, well your house is built on wetlands, what can we do.

The public deserves to have its government with all of its resources assess the problem and develop policies even if they are tough policies then at least people know the score and the plan for moving forward so that they know what actions they need to take to protect their homes.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

stupidseven wrote:
This is the problem you get when you build on wetlands... Should be no surprise to people that JC floods at times.

Rather than flame you, I'll say I suppose this was a reasonable response 40 years ago when you could buy a whole block in downtown JC for $100K. But when the real estate is as valuable as it is now, there ARE solutions! They've been implemented in low cities here and in other nations, from effective pumps to drain the rain out, to surge gates to keep out the sea. Why does the Corp of Engineers consider New Orleans worth defending with countless billions, but not JC & Hoboken? Ultimately neither shrugging nor evacuating are appropriate responses.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 13:06
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stupidseven wrote:
This is the problem you get when you build on wetlands... Should be no surprise to people that JC floods at times.

Rather than flame you, I'll say I suppose this was a reasonable response 40 years ago when you could buy a whole block in downtown JC for $100K. But when the real estate is as valuable as it is now, there ARE solutions! They've been implemented in low cities here and in other nations, from effective pumps to drain the rain out, to surge gates to keep out the sea. Why does the Corp of Engineers consider New Orleans worth defending with countless billions, but not JC & Hoboken? Ultimately neither shrugging nor evacuating are appropriate responses.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 16:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/3 14:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/14 15:24
From vanvorst
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for your response Althea. I agree. Fulop has a proactive plan for this that directly supports our current residents.

When I posted this question yesterday I also emailed Healy and Fulop to hear their thoughts directly. This morning, Fulop called me directly and explained his strategy.

Of course go out and make your own choices come election day but I know I've made mine.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is a big question and a complex issue, but on that needs a lot of attention since more and more new construction taxes the already over taxed system.

After Irene Councilman Fulop along with me and many community members decided not to wait for the City to recognize the problem, but to go straight to the JCMUA and start demanding they do something.

York street seems to get hit the worst and floods in a short down pour.

The near term solution for the flooding (meaning rain events) in the worst hit area of the City, is a pump station at the end of Essex Street that will help drain out the Van Vorst Park and Paulus Hook areas. This is scheduled to be complete by September 2013 after almost 2 years of massive effort on everyone's part, including the City's. This solution was applied to Country Village nearly two years ago and has been highly effective.

Temporary pumps were installed for Sandy and while it was not useful against storm surge, the area was saved from a second flooding due to the storm that rolled in shortly after.

The long term solution is the rehabbing of the East Side plant to handle a much greater area of flooding [Bergen Lafayette and most of downtown] and would also treat the water so it could be pumped into the bay. This project will take 3-5 years to complete.

When we asked the JCMUA to look into solutions 18 months ago, this was researched, but taken off the table because it was cost prohibitive. However, FEMA is now paying 80% of the cost of flood mitigation measures so a lot more is on the table and possible.

Pick Fulop on this issue. He works with the community in being proactive. If we had waited for Sandy to make changes then a solution would be two years or more off. Irene was the wake up call, not Sandy. Before Irene so many people gave up feeling that this issue continued to fall on deaf ears. The community learned to go around the current administration and now we have a short term and long term viable solution.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 11:51

Flooding - Healy or Fulop?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From vanvorst
Group:
Registered Users
To me this is a serious quality of life issue for a majority of downtown residents but I've heard a lot more about development both commercial and residential which will only further stress our crumbling infrastructure.

I've read what other cities have done but what is Jersey City going to do?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Tor really stop the flooding (not a Sandy storm surge, but heavy rain) you would need to do what Atlanta has/is doing. JC doesn't have the option of simply pumping water untreated into the Hudson and Hackensack these days.

That project has turned out to be horribly expensive, driving sewer rates to the moon.

I am not sure what the mayor of JC at this point can do. Our rates are already outrageous as we are prisoner to the PVSC, which treats our sewerage. JC hooked up the PVSC system back in the 90's as (at the time) a less expensive alternative to upgrading JC's own sewage treatment plants. The PVSC has been a patronage mill for years and we are paying for it in spades.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
don't forget that Healy's goons always refer to flooding as an "act of God".

So there you have it - no need to use engineering or scientific know how, it's all up to God's mood...

Posted on: 2013/5/2 16:53

Re: Flooding - Healy or Fulop?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crujones wrote:
So who has the better plan to address downtown flooding and an overextended infrastructure (sewage, drainage, old pipes, and so on)

I guess you could start by asking yourself what has Healy done about it in two terms.

Email both of them, I bet Fulop responds and Healy doesn't.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 14:50

Flooding - Healy or Fulop?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From vanvorst
Group:
Registered Users
So who has the better plan to address downtown flooding and an overextended infrastructure (sewage, drainage, old pipes, and so on)

Posted on: 2013/5/2 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
We lived in that area and did not flood during Hurricane Sandy. But it wasn't because we weren't in a flood zone. It was because we were prepared with installed in-ground sump pits with battery back up sumps, the proper check valves in place, all the odds in our favor as far as making sure our property drains away from the home and last but not least, a portable generator. We saw some goop come up the tub that wasn't alarming and used buckets to retrieve. We easily could have sucked up with a portable sump but didn't want to drain our generator. Tiring but expected in a Hurricane situation. We didn't even have to use our dehumidifier. People around us flooded but a bulk of our neighbors who owned their places and stuck around didn't because they knew better from Hurricane Irene (another one we didn't flood, nor did our neighbors). The interesting thing is, it was the rental units that flooded because the landlords didn't have costly systems like the property owners did who wanted to save their first floors (learning from Irene I bought portable sumps and gave them to the renters during the Hurricane and loaned them an outlet in our generator)....We didn't flood and we believe it's in how prepared we were.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 11:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/26 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
I live at 3rd and Coles and we were dry for both Irene and sandy. Basement had a couple puddles post-sandy, but nothing crazy. Also, power was restored relatively quickly here. Less than 30 hours without it.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 5:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/16 13:56
From relocating w/i Jersey City ...
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone else have some on-the-ground knowledge re: 3rd & Coles?

Posted on: 2013/3/14 4:55

Re: Does the corner of Colgate and 1st st in downtown Jersey City flood?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Flooding is always more frustrating than you expect. You should also speak with people in the area before you leap (into the pond).

Posted on: 2013/3/14 3:13
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
I think the cut-off varies based on other factors also - not just heights above sea level.

Its amazing how much this map matches with the ones of historical fill. The railroads should have built up the areas surrounding Paulus Hook and Harsimus well above the high water mark.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 2:39

Re: Does the corner of Colgate and 1st st in downtown Jersey City flood?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned
Yes. I lived there for four years. If you're on ground level you WILL get water, especially on the corner where there's a dip in elevation.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 1:14

Does the corner of Colgate and 1st st in downtown Jersey City flood?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/14 0:25
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'm thinking about renting an apt on that corner.

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/3/14 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Fastdraw.

The NYTimes map isn't what was impacted by Sandy, but it's simply a rendition of the new FEMA maps with Advisory Base Flood Elevation = A
"Areas with a 1% annual chance of flooding and a 26% chance of flooding over the life of a 30-year mortgage. Because detailed analyses are not performed for such areas; no depths or base flood elevations are shown within these zones."

The maps were drawn up before Sandy, but were used by the NYTimes to wrongly approximate the area impacted by Sandy.

http://fema.maps.arcgis.com/home/webm ... bfb434d76af8c15c26541a545

Posted on: 2013/3/13 14:11

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017