Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: PATH Train Incident
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Don't the "new" PATH cars have security cameras?
Seems like that footage would be useful in these kind of situations.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe the ignorance in this thread. Yes, sadly, subway groping is a thing. It happens a lot. It's never happened to me, but I have had my rear end grabbed as I was passing someone on the sidewalk, and I bet most of the women on this board have had something happen to them. As for why the woman didn't speak up right away, I know when I was grabbed, I was so startled and humiliated that I just couldn't say anything. I simply kept walking and began silently fuming that this man felt my body was his to grab and that I hadn't said anything. With one action, he reduced me to an object. It's not okay for these things to happen, and it's not okay to blame the victim.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
The guy wasn't arrested for boarding a crowded train. He was arrested for humping the woman. The average woman knows when she's being humped or not. If it's against her will, it's a crime. To you stupid men who don't know, better get a clue or you'll be next.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, I can't believe people are piling on the woman who reported this. Years ago on the F train I saw a guy with an erection and was rubbing up against another woman. I said "Hey! What are you doing?" and then moved over so that the woman could stand away from him. I don't even know if she realized what was going on and he ran out of there at the next stop. Do people think that this doesn't ever happen?

Posted on: 2013/3/8 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
As funny as that gif is...let's be serious.

The stigma of feeling like a victim, helplessness, and shame that women feel after being groped, raped, etc prevents many from reporting the incident. Many studies show this

The comments about "how come it took her xxx amount of time to report it" or "there is no detailed explanation" are pretty disgusting and reminds me of how how much of a man's world it still is.

On behalf of men everywhere I apologize for the idiocy of those men on this thread putting their fingers to keyboards to undermine a woman's violation. It's embarrassing and shameful and I would assume they're trolls. If not, may they turn to real life trolls and may my bus fall off it's bridge and land on them.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 23:01

Edited by PathH8Tr on 2013/3/8 23:19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
As funny as that gif is...let's be serious.

The stigma of feeling like a victim, helplessness, and shame that women feel after being groped, raped, etc prevents many from reporting the incident. Many studies show this

The comments about "how come it took her xxx amount of time to report it" or "there is no detailed explanation" are pretty disgusting and reminds me of how how much of a man's world it still is.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I am not opposed to providing all female cars during rush hours for trains and subways. I am so surprised so many women have such terrible experiences.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 20:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/19 0:39
Group:
Registered Users
the victim provided a picture. hardly picking a needle out of a haystack.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I wonder how the accused felt when he got arrested 2 days later as he was going about his daily commute ? Probably surprised !

That's probably the most unbelievable part of the story. The PAPD was able to pick a needle out of a haystack, considering how many people use the PATH every day and how many of them are of (presumably) southeast Asian decent.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
what does the time taken to report the story have to do with the legitimacy of it?

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
I think there is a correlation between the time taken to report the crime and the degree which we trust the integrity of the story.
I don't think anyone here would have doubt in the story if the woman cried for help when it happened. The doubt comes from the delay (the shame) of going about 10 minutes and several stops before taking action.
I'm not saying this is the correct way to look at this story.

I wonder how the accused felt when he got arrested 2 days later as he was going about his daily commute ? Probably surprised !

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:32
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimmythesaint1 wrote:
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
I'm a woman, and from the limited information in the article, I agree that it sounds ridiculous that this person was arrested. BTW, there is absolutely nothing in Bill's post that could in any way be interpreted as sexist.

I wonder if the "victim" is new to an urban environment and hadn't ridden a crowded train before? Yeah, you are going to come into contact with people. Welcome to city life. And there's a good chance that they will be a different age, gender, and/or race/ethnicity than you. If that makes you uncomfortable, then don't live in one of the most diverse places on the planet.

She acknowledges that it was crowded. So she was surrounded by people who could have helped her as she was supposedly attacked. And she didn't seek any help? I'm calling bullsh!t on this.

many of you should be ashamed of your comments here. KELCEY especially. a woman knows the difference between inadvertant contact on a train and when a man is "grinding" her or touching her inappropriately.

Exactly. It's infuriating. Also, the "now I have to be careful riding a crowded train" comments. No, you don't. If you don't act like a giant pervert women aren't going to falsely accuse you of something.

Please tell me why the hell this woman would waste her own time falsely accusing someone she doesn't even know? A strange man's erect penis rubbing on you is an unmistakable feeling. Not just normal commuting closeness. And it does happen.

CHRIST.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kelcey wrote:
I'm a woman, and from the limited information in the article, I agree that it sounds ridiculous that this person was arrested. BTW, there is absolutely nothing in Bill's post that could in any way be interpreted as sexist.

I wonder if the "victim" is new to an urban environment and hadn't ridden a crowded train before? Yeah, you are going to come into contact with people. Welcome to city life. And there's a good chance that they will be a different age, gender, and/or race/ethnicity than you. If that makes you uncomfortable, then don't live in one of the most diverse places on the planet.

She acknowledges that it was crowded. So she was surrounded by people who could have helped her as she was supposedly attacked. And she didn't seek any help? I'm calling bullsh!t on this.

many of you should be ashamed of your comments here. KELCEY especially. a woman knows the difference between inadvertant contact on a train and when a man is "grinding" her or touching her inappropriately.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meowmix wrote:
I find it interesting that so many commenters are demanding to know why she didn't ask for help on the train or anything like that, when so many of you immediately questioned the truth of her claim. Would you ask for help from someone if you thought they would accuse you of lying?

I think there is a correlation between the time taken to report the crime and the degree which we trust the integrity of the story.

I don't think anyone here would have doubt in the story if the woman cried for help when it happened. The doubt comes from the delay (the shame) of going about 10 minutes and several stops before taking action.

I'm not saying this is the correct way to look at this story.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to a friend not too long ago, and she spoke up. Didn't freak out on him, just said, loudly and firmly, to cut it the hell out.

Her fellow passengers, rather than backing her up, silently looked at her like "why are you disturbing our commute?" then looked away en masse.

So yeah, ladies, speak up. And everyone else, feel free to not be dicks about it.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meowmix wrote:

I find it interesting that so many commenters are demanding to know why she didn't ask for help on the train or anything like that, when so many of you immediately questioned the truth of her claim. Would you ask for help from someone if you thought they would accuse you of lying?

Years ago on the PATH I had a guy that was slowly getting closer to me, backing up towards me, on a train that wasn't overcrowded. Once he got too close I yelled, "Hey man what the hell?!" as a reactionary thing. He moved away quickly. He was definitely up to no good.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 18:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meowmix wrote:
This happened to me when I was younger. I guess it's hard for some people to understand why someone wouldn't speak up. You really can't know how you will react until you are in the situation. I was groped by a creep on the subway, and was so filled with shame that I couldn't say a word.

Exactly.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to me when I was younger. I guess it's hard for some people to understand why someone wouldn't speak up. You really can't know how you will react until you are in the situation. I was groped by a creep on the subway, and was so filled with shame that I couldn't say a word.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

geniusofthecrowd wrote:
She very well might think she was assaulted/groped, I don't think people are saying she is lying. But the reality is as we all know, if you are by the door on a crowded train and it's still taking on passengers you will be pretty intimate with the person next to you.

As a dude, it would kinda suck to be arrested and have sexual charges against me for getting on a crowded train. Safer to wait for the next uncrowded train, but with how the way the PATH is now, could be awhile.

Some men get erections and then grind them into the backs of women on crowded trains. It happened to me when I was younger. I didn't say anything. I commend this woman for speaking up.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
C'mon, give the guy a break. Do you think he's getting any real action with a mustache like that?

Posted on: 2013/3/8 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/8 17:40
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I was groped, poked, etc. Never took a photo, I usually yell.

me too (also a guy) on the Paris metro - it was a dreadful experience. The train was so crowded I couldn't even back away.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was groped, poked, etc. Never took a photo, I usually yell.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/8 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
I am not sure what happened on this specific train but I had a similar incident that I did not report. The man would get on the same train as me for many days while commuting. He would place his hands in certain positions so when the train moved he would be able to grab and grope me.

The first time I thought maybe it was an accident that he had his hand all over my ass. The next time I decided to scream at him - told him if he touched me again he would be arrested. He never rode the same car as me again.

The issue is that people are crazy these days and you never know how someone will react if you say something.

Ladies watch out for the perverts.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 16:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BurningClumpOfHair wrote:
Now we should scrutinize how the momentum & bumping of the train could easily be confused for rythmic dry humping. And... GO.

Don't forget sudden stops! You see, ladies may perceive a "grinding" or "pushing up against," when really the person next to them just lost his footing on a crowded train. Sillies!

Posted on: 2013/3/8 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
My confusion is why she waited from Newport all the way to 14th Street to move off the train, unless he didn't start being inappropriate till 9th Street.

If a guy was grinding against me I wouldn't stand it for a second, no less minutes on end.

Here is the AP story quoted in the WSJ:

Associated Press

JERSEY CITY, N.J. ? A New Jersey man has been charged with criminal sexual contact for an alleged incident aboard a PATH train.

Port Authority Police say 64-year-old Sathyanar Kovvali of West Windsor boarded the crowded inbound train at the Newport station on Tuesday morning.

Kovvali allegedly pushed himself up against a woman and began to grind against her. The victim was able to take a cellphone picture when the train reached 14th Street in Manhattan and passengers disembarked.

Armed with the picture, police were stationed on platforms to look for the suspect, and on Thursday he was spotted on a westbound train at Christopher Street. He was arrested at Newport station.

It wasn't immediately known if Kovvali had an attorney. He was being held by Port Authority police on $2,000 bail Thursday.

?Copyright 2013 Associated Press

Posted on: 2013/3/8 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
We don't know if that actually happened, but the immediate assumption that she was just some priss who didn't like crowds is offensive.

Turns out the allegation is not 'some guy happened to touch me on a crowded train' but some guy was grinding me on a crowded train.

Maybe it is a false allegation, but there is certainly no reason to assume so just because you were once on a crowded train.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 15:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/14 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BurningClumpOfHair wrote:
Quote:

nightgownposse wrote:
Nah BurningClumpofPerception we should just assume he did it. Don't question anything.

Yeah, all those frivolous sexual assault allegations women have been throwing around over the years have really done a great job of keeping them on top of things. Someday we'll overcome Nightgownposse, someday.

Yawn. Your indignation is mediocre at best

Posted on: 2013/3/8 15:48

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017