Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »

food & wine's "the people's best new chef" - thirty acres

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
hey guys - the chef of thirty acres (and my husband), kevin pemoulie, was nominated for food & wine's "the people's best new chef" for the new york area (i know, i know). voting ends on monday at 5pm. they're not showing results anymore, but i think he might actually have a chance. please show your support for our restaurant and jersey city by voting and and asking your friends and families to vote as well. here is the link:

http://www.foodandwine.com/peoples-best-new-chef/new-york-area

as always, thank you. we would be so proud to bring this home for jersey.

alex pemoulie
thirty acres

Posted on: 2013/3/17 3:37

Re: Thirty Acres Restaurant- Jersey Avenue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

The times posted this about the voting criteria.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.co ... rds-geography-vs-quality/

Posted on: 2013/2/21 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
FWIW, the best new restaurant finalists are not broken down by region. The best chef category is. For this award, NYC is considered a region unto itself. The rest of New York falls under the Northeast region and New Jersey is mid-Atlantic.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 16:00

Re: James Beard Awards: Thirty Acres makes cut for best new restaurant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't require the geography lesson, Asif, and also no need for the snark on a beautiful morning.

The article states that Thirty Acres is the only NJ restaurant that made semi-finalist, correct? The article also says that the list is dominated by Philadelphia and DC restaurants (no mention of NYC), so wouldn't it be fair to assume that NY state is NOT included in the mid-atlantic region? Therefore I find it silly that JC is included in a separate list from NYC.

Quote:

Asif wrote:
Tommy you are a bit confused.

The following states are considered Mid-Atlantic. New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland, , Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. Also, though not a state DC is included in this grouping.

Thus if NJ is a Mid-Atlantic state.....then restaurants in JC would be included.

End of geography lesson.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
hope they win. love this place. Not only is the food good, but the environment is really nice and the staff is great.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Tommy you are a bit confused.

The following states are considered Mid-Atlantic. New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Maryland, , Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. Also, though not a state DC is included in this grouping.

Thus if NJ is a Mid-Atlantic state.....then restaurants in JC would be included.

End of geography lesson.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is included in the Mid Atlantic region?

Posted on: 2013/2/20 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I hope they win!

Posted on: 2013/2/20 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Love this place.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 0:25

James Beard Awards: Thirty Acres makes cut for best new restaurant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
James Beard Awards: Jersey City's Thirty Acres makes cut for best new restaurant

Resized Image

Thirty Acres in Jersey City, whose seasonal offerings have included grilled baby octopus with eggplant, oregano and lemon, has been nominated for a James Beard Award for best new restaurant.

By Vicki Hyman/The Star-Ledger
on February 19, 2013

Thirty Acres, the Jersey City seasonal restaurant that almost immediately vaulted to the top of everyone's destination dining list (New Jerseyans and New Yorkers alike), is a semi-finalist in the James Beard Awards' best new restaurant category. It is the only Jersey eatery to make the list.

Momofuku alum and Cranford native Kevin Pemoulie opened the restaurant last spring with his wife, Alex.

Meanwhile, two New Jersey chefs earned semi-finalist status for best chef in the mid-Atlantic, a category typically dominated by Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. chefs, although last year Maricel Presilla of Hoboken's Cucharamama and Zafra became the first Jersey chef to win the category since 2000, when Craig Shelton took home the award for the Ryland Inn.

The nominees are Scott Anderson of Elements in Princeton and Joey Baldino of Zeppoli in Collingswood, both of whose restaurants also made the initial cut for Bon Appetit's best new restaurant last summer.

The finalists will be revealed March 18, and the awards gala is May 6.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dinin ... d_awards_thirty_acre.html

Posted on: 2013/2/19 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fran Schumer does not award stars. If you look at the bottom of the Satis review you see that she awarded the restaurant "don't miss" - her highest rating. She also awarded 30 acres "don't miss".
Maybe only the chief restaurant critic of the Times is a star-giver. Schumer is the NJ reviewer.

Yes, the only one that awards stars is the chief critic in the Wednesday review of a NYC restaurant, generally Manhattan or Brooklyn. Currently, the chief restaurant critic is Pete Wells. Regional reviews all follow the same format as the one given to Thirty Acres.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 23:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/20 18:26
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, I?m sure that the strongest similarity they have is the fact that both places are restaurants. As it so happens I regularly eat at both of them.
So in my humble and very subjective opinion, I can absolutely compare the two.
And my experience over all has been a much more positive one at Satis, starting with the fact that it?s more spacious and the staff has always been very unpretentious and nice. Due to the fact that Satis is open longer I went there more often, of course.
Again, my very personal impression that I don?t necessarily expect you to share.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering why they didn't get a starred review. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
but I didn't see that they were awarded any stars by the critics.

Fran Schumer does not award stars. If you look at the bottom of the Satis review you see that she awarded the restaurant "don't miss" - her highest rating. She also awarded 30 acres "don't miss".
Maybe only the chief restaurant critic of the Times is a star-giver. Schumer is the NJ reviewer.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't really think you can compare the two restaurants. The only strong similarity between them is the fact that they are the probably the two best restaurants in the downtown area, perhaps battling for the #1 spot. I think both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I don't really prefer one over the other. However, did you see the NYT reviews of Satis and Thirty Acres? Thirty Acres received two stars. I read the positive Satis review, but I didn't see that they were awarded any stars by the critics.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 5:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/20 18:26
Group:
Registered Users
Lovely owners, some of the staff have an attitude and act a bit like they own the place, food is good, but over all I clearly prefer Satis on any level

Posted on: 2013/1/13 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I should say congrats before saying a glass for wine is a bummer. Apologies 30 Acres, I love your food!

Posted on: 2013/1/1 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Seasoned With Invention and Irreverence
Restaurant Review: Thirty Acres in Jersey City

December 31, 2012
By PETE WELLS - The New York Times

ONE school of criticism holds that chefs should faithfully honor any cuisine they pilfer. But there?s an equally valid case for bold, fearless theft. A good pickpocket does not waste time with introductions.

Respect for Italian tradition would require Kevin Pemoulie to do something different with the remarkably fluffy gnocchi that his kitchen rolls out from starchy potatoes and fresh ricotta. It would suggest, at the very least, a straightforward tomato sauce in the Roman style.

At Thirty Acres, which he opened in Jersey City last spring, Mr. Pemoulie has nothing of the sort in mind for his stolen gnocchi. They are bound for Eastern Europe. He has prepared a sauce of mustard and sour cream, and he will toss it with saut?ed mushrooms and sauerkraut. He calls the dish ?gnocchi, pirogi style,? and that is just what they taste like.

Two traditions have been shamelessly looted for one plate, with deference to neither, and yet these Italian-Polish dumplings were more exciting than any number of earnest facsimiles. Creative stealing takes talent and nerve, and Mr. Pemoulie has both qualities in abundance.

After nearly five years as chef de cuisine at Momofuku Noodle Bar, he could be expected to know his way around Asia. The Japanese spice blend togarashi seasoned a generous handful of tender braised chickpeas, all right, sharing the plate with a square of Arctic char. But Mr. Pemoulie had also swabbed the plate with a purple swoosh of roasted beets pur?ed with lemon juice, a sauce that was as simple and right as it was free of Asian leanings.

To find a partner for a juicy, lightly smoky quail, Mr. Pemoulie went north for cranberries, then made a U-turn and headed south, cooking the berries into a spicy barbecue sauce that brought the all-American classic several extra layers of complexity.

To a chef like Mr. Pemoulie, the map is merely a point of departure, an invitation to cross borders and jump oceans without leaving the kitchen. The rest of us can catch a ride as long as we?re smart enough not to ask too many questions about where we?re going.

Thirty Acres challenges your sense of geography, starting with its location. Jersey City has not historically been the first place to look for innovative, serious-minded modern cooking. When Fran Schumer reviewed Thirty Acres in the Metropolitan section of The New York Times in June, she gave the restaurant her highest rating, ?Don?t Miss,? writing that it served ?a kind of cuisine I had never tasted in New Jersey.?

A restaurant like Thirty Acres would be a find in any state. It is the kind of place that can redraw regional boundaries, making the Hudson River no more of a barrier to eaters in search of inventive cooking than the East River has become in the past few years. For those who live near a PATH station, it may be easier to reach than several talked-about restaurants in Brooklyn.

Mr. Pemoulie, who owns the restaurant with his wife, Alex, could do more to invite travelers, however. Reservations are not taken for parties of fewer than five, and there is a particularly unwelcoming wrinkle. If you have to wait for a table and there is no room at the bar, a host will take your phone number and point you toward some nearby saloons. But then she will tell you that if you don?t pick up the phone, she will immediately move on to the next name on the list.

If you?ve ever missed a call while sitting inside a bar, this may strike you as inconsiderate at the least. Luckily, I passed the time enjoying the company of the high-spirited bartenders at a fusion place down the street called Sushi Tango, and my phone always rang.

After walking down blocks of neat townhouses that reminded me of Brooklyn, I was always happy to head toward the lights streaming from the windows that wrap around Thirty Acres? corner spot on Jersey Avenue. The 32-seat dining room is simple and relatively unornamented, apart from the pastel portraits of Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford on corrugated cardboard.

I don?t know what brought the ex-presidents to Jersey City, but their benign presence seems to have rubbed off on the servers, who are unusually friendly and free of pretense, and on the amateur disc jockey who stocked the playlist with tunes like ?Don?t Worry, Be Happy.?

The look of the menu is pure Momofuku, with its sans-serif font under boldface headings like ?Things? and ?Sweet Guys? (desserts). Under ?Raw? are two starters that give Mr. Pemoulie a chance to raid the larder of the Ashkenazi Jews, something he did frequently and successfully as fall changed to winter.

A mash of beets with horseradish, last seen at Passover trying to make the best of its unfortunate marriage to gefilte fish, tries out a new partner at Thirty Acres, East Coast oysters on the half shell, liberated for the night from their unfortunate liaison with cocktail sauce. This was one time when infidelity brought out the best in both accomplices.

Tasting cured belly of Arctic char sprinkled with sesame seeds and sea salt and accompanied by whipped scallion cream cheese, I could close my eyes and believe I was at a brunch catered by Russ & Daughters. The missing element, a bagel, wasn?t missed at all; it would have gummed up the gently sweet slices of fish.

We were still in Eastern Europe for a kind of pot roast of beef chuck under a shower of freshly grated horseradish and for braised cabbage wrapped around a cod fillet, although the Old Bay seasoning in the broth moved toward America again. The inspiration for a warm salad of spelt with sea urchin and triangles of Asian pear was harder to pinpoint, but I was taken aback by how well the earthy grains took to the sweet and briny urchin.

After appetizers and main courses of such sophistication, Sweet Guys like apple crisp and lemon bars (from a recipe by Mr. Pemoulie?s mother) can feel outclassed. Glassware, too, is a little too homey; the restaurant is B.Y.O.B., and if you?ve picked up a good bottle or anything sparkling, you may wince to see it poured into a water tumbler.

Both limitations probably stem from Mr. Pemoulie?s attempt to work in a space that is not as big as his ambitions. Like many chefs these days, he had to take his opportunities where he could steal them.

Thirty Acres

??

500 Jersey Avenue (Wayne Street), Jersey City; (201) 435-3100; thirtyacres.tumblr.com.

ATMOSPHERE Spare and simple, with polished wood floors and a wall of glass along the street.

SERVICE Smiling and unintimidating.

SOUND LEVEL Moderate.

RECOMMENDED The menu changes too frequently for recommendations to be helpful.

DRINKS AND WINE No liquor license.

PRICES Appetizers, pasta and grains, $5 to $17; main courses, $26 to $27.

HOURS Monday to Thursday, 6 to 10 p.m.; Friday, 6 to 11 p.m.; Saturday, noon to 3 p.m. and 6 to 11 p.m.

RESERVATIONS Accepted only for parties of 5 to 8 people.

WHEELCHAIR ACCESS The dining room and accessible restrooms are on the street level.

WHAT THE STARS MEAN Ratings range from zero to four stars and reflect the reviewer?s reaction primarily to food, with ambience, service and price taken into consideration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/din ... -in-jersey-city.html?_r=0

Completely agree - it's nice to enjoy a good bottle of wine in a glass that permits the wine to breathe. A tiny french water glass is a bummer.

Posted on: 2013/1/1 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent. Congratulations 30 Acres!

Posted on: 2013/1/1 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Seasoned With Invention and Irreverence
Restaurant Review: Thirty Acres in Jersey City

December 31, 2012
By PETE WELLS - The New York Times

ONE school of criticism holds that chefs should faithfully honor any cuisine they pilfer. But there?s an equally valid case for bold, fearless theft. A good pickpocket does not waste time with introductions.

Respect for Italian tradition would require Kevin Pemoulie to do something different with the remarkably fluffy gnocchi that his kitchen rolls out from starchy potatoes and fresh ricotta. It would suggest, at the very least, a straightforward tomato sauce in the Roman style.

At Thirty Acres, which he opened in Jersey City last spring, Mr. Pemoulie has nothing of the sort in mind for his stolen gnocchi. They are bound for Eastern Europe. He has prepared a sauce of mustard and sour cream, and he will toss it with saut?ed mushrooms and sauerkraut. He calls the dish ?gnocchi, pirogi style,? and that is just what they taste like.

Two traditions have been shamelessly looted for one plate, with deference to neither, and yet these Italian-Polish dumplings were more exciting than any number of earnest facsimiles. Creative stealing takes talent and nerve, and Mr. Pemoulie has both qualities in abundance.

After nearly five years as chef de cuisine at Momofuku Noodle Bar, he could be expected to know his way around Asia. The Japanese spice blend togarashi seasoned a generous handful of tender braised chickpeas, all right, sharing the plate with a square of Arctic char. But Mr. Pemoulie had also swabbed the plate with a purple swoosh of roasted beets pur?ed with lemon juice, a sauce that was as simple and right as it was free of Asian leanings.

To find a partner for a juicy, lightly smoky quail, Mr. Pemoulie went north for cranberries, then made a U-turn and headed south, cooking the berries into a spicy barbecue sauce that brought the all-American classic several extra layers of complexity.

To a chef like Mr. Pemoulie, the map is merely a point of departure, an invitation to cross borders and jump oceans without leaving the kitchen. The rest of us can catch a ride as long as we?re smart enough not to ask too many questions about where we?re going.

Thirty Acres challenges your sense of geography, starting with its location. Jersey City has not historically been the first place to look for innovative, serious-minded modern cooking. When Fran Schumer reviewed Thirty Acres in the Metropolitan section of The New York Times in June, she gave the restaurant her highest rating, ?Don?t Miss,? writing that it served ?a kind of cuisine I had never tasted in New Jersey.?

A restaurant like Thirty Acres would be a find in any state. It is the kind of place that can redraw regional boundaries, making the Hudson River no more of a barrier to eaters in search of inventive cooking than the East River has become in the past few years. For those who live near a PATH station, it may be easier to reach than several talked-about restaurants in Brooklyn.

Mr. Pemoulie, who owns the restaurant with his wife, Alex, could do more to invite travelers, however. Reservations are not taken for parties of fewer than five, and there is a particularly unwelcoming wrinkle. If you have to wait for a table and there is no room at the bar, a host will take your phone number and point you toward some nearby saloons. But then she will tell you that if you don?t pick up the phone, she will immediately move on to the next name on the list.

If you?ve ever missed a call while sitting inside a bar, this may strike you as inconsiderate at the least. Luckily, I passed the time enjoying the company of the high-spirited bartenders at a fusion place down the street called Sushi Tango, and my phone always rang.

After walking down blocks of neat townhouses that reminded me of Brooklyn, I was always happy to head toward the lights streaming from the windows that wrap around Thirty Acres? corner spot on Jersey Avenue. The 32-seat dining room is simple and relatively unornamented, apart from the pastel portraits of Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford on corrugated cardboard.

I don?t know what brought the ex-presidents to Jersey City, but their benign presence seems to have rubbed off on the servers, who are unusually friendly and free of pretense, and on the amateur disc jockey who stocked the playlist with tunes like ?Don?t Worry, Be Happy.?

The look of the menu is pure Momofuku, with its sans-serif font under boldface headings like ?Things? and ?Sweet Guys? (desserts). Under ?Raw? are two starters that give Mr. Pemoulie a chance to raid the larder of the Ashkenazi Jews, something he did frequently and successfully as fall changed to winter.

A mash of beets with horseradish, last seen at Passover trying to make the best of its unfortunate marriage to gefilte fish, tries out a new partner at Thirty Acres, East Coast oysters on the half shell, liberated for the night from their unfortunate liaison with cocktail sauce. This was one time when infidelity brought out the best in both accomplices.

Tasting cured belly of Arctic char sprinkled with sesame seeds and sea salt and accompanied by whipped scallion cream cheese, I could close my eyes and believe I was at a brunch catered by Russ & Daughters. The missing element, a bagel, wasn?t missed at all; it would have gummed up the gently sweet slices of fish.

We were still in Eastern Europe for a kind of pot roast of beef chuck under a shower of freshly grated horseradish and for braised cabbage wrapped around a cod fillet, although the Old Bay seasoning in the broth moved toward America again. The inspiration for a warm salad of spelt with sea urchin and triangles of Asian pear was harder to pinpoint, but I was taken aback by how well the earthy grains took to the sweet and briny urchin.

After appetizers and main courses of such sophistication, Sweet Guys like apple crisp and lemon bars (from a recipe by Mr. Pemoulie?s mother) can feel outclassed. Glassware, too, is a little too homey; the restaurant is B.Y.O.B., and if you?ve picked up a good bottle or anything sparkling, you may wince to see it poured into a water tumbler.

Both limitations probably stem from Mr. Pemoulie?s attempt to work in a space that is not as big as his ambitions. Like many chefs these days, he had to take his opportunities where he could steal them.

Thirty Acres

??

500 Jersey Avenue (Wayne Street), Jersey City; (201) 435-3100; thirtyacres.tumblr.com.

ATMOSPHERE Spare and simple, with polished wood floors and a wall of glass along the street.

SERVICE Smiling and unintimidating.

SOUND LEVEL Moderate.

RECOMMENDED The menu changes too frequently for recommendations to be helpful.

DRINKS AND WINE No liquor license.

PRICES Appetizers, pasta and grains, $5 to $17; main courses, $26 to $27.

HOURS Monday to Thursday, 6 to 10 p.m.; Friday, 6 to 11 p.m.; Saturday, noon to 3 p.m. and 6 to 11 p.m.

RESERVATIONS Accepted only for parties of 5 to 8 people.

WHEELCHAIR ACCESS The dining room and accessible restrooms are on the street level.

WHAT THE STARS MEAN Ratings range from zero to four stars and reflect the reviewer?s reaction primarily to food, with ambience, service and price taken into consideration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/din ... -in-jersey-city.html?_r=0

Posted on: 2012/12/31 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users

a search for any 30 acre articles/reviews online will give you the back-story.

Tried the new beef dish last week. it's awesome.

"talkin' 'bout bee flap, 30 acres got em..." -ST

Posted on: 2012/11/25 22:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
Bloomberg is trying to emulate classy food reviews that use the Michelin scale where 1 star is as high as a normal restaurant can expect to get.

from Wikipedia
One star indicates "very good cuisine in its category"; two stars represent "excellent cuisine, worth a detour"; and a rare three stars are awarded to restaurants offering "exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey."

Posted on: 2012/11/23 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Where does this place have only 2.5 stars? On Yelp it has 4.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Ate there on Wednesday with my sons -- the smoked quail with walnut bread dressing was amazing, and the new chuck flap is so good. I don't get the 2.5 stars but I don't care either. This place is a neighborhood treasure -- where you see the chefs from other fine restaurants eating at the bar on Monday nights.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
just reading that they were generous during the storms means i'll go back again and again. personally i didn't care that much for the food, but that's probably me since i've gone to other restaurants were everyone raves and i can't understand what all the fuss is about

Posted on: 2012/11/23 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
So is 2.5 stars means it's amazing???? Sounds average to me. I haven't been yet so can't comment on the food.
My question is does the place have a sign yet? I drive right past it & have never seen a sign or many people there.

Sometimes 3/4 stars are reserved for Per Se or 11 Madison Park caliber restaurants. But, yes, it is amazing. If you're not seeing many people there, you must not be driving at the right time. It's usually a wait on the weekends.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 21:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I go to Thirty Acres once a week. The food is amazing and i don't care if the reviews give it 2 stars or whatever.
Kevin and Alex are really down to earth, genuine people. Their menu is small but fresh, delicious and always changing. During the storm (tuesday) they opened their doors to everyone and cooked up their food and invited everyone passing by to eat for free.
Yes they do have a sign, it is printed right on the glass window. We try to go early to get seating but last week we want around 8pm and had to sit at the bar, which was a change but we could peek into the kitchen and we loved it nonetheless.
If you haven't been there, give it a try. Maybe your food tastes are different but you'd never know if you like it unless you try it.
Support small business.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 18:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
So is 2.5 stars means it's amazing???? Sounds average to me. I haven't been yet so can't comment on the food.
My question is does the place have a sign yet? I drive right past it & have never seen a sign or many people there.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Thirty Acres Brings Momofuku-Style Fare to Jersey: Review

By Ryan Sutton - Nov 21, 2012
Bloomberg

Is Jersey City the new Brooklyn, a place to savor creative food for a few dollars less?

That?s the question one might ask when gazing out the giant windows of Thirty Acres, a restaurant that requires patrons to cross not the East River but the Hudson, to a place whose tree- lined and townhouse-studded streets evoke Carroll Gardens.

If only the F-train to Brooklyn were as quick as the PATH.

At Thirty Acres sweet, raw scallops are dressed in jalapeno puree. The sting on the tongue is followed by soothing cilantro. Trout roe pop, releasing their oily salts. Crunchy pumpkin seeds add a hint of sweetness. This dish wouldn?t be out of place at Per Se. Cost: $12.

Or try corned beef slicked with maple syrup, an occasional special that wouldn?t be out of place at your favorite diner.

This highbrow-lowbrow tightrope act is the brilliant work of ex-Momofuku Noodle Bar chef Kevin Pemoulie and his wife, Alex. They opened Thirty Acres nearly a year ago with the help of Kickstarter funds. They hoped to raise $10,000; they ended up with over $18,000.

The bad news is that Thirty Acres lost $15,000 to $20,000 in ingredients and income to Sandy-related power outages.

Hickory Quail

So just as we frequent the beleaguered restaurants of lower Manhattan in the wake of the hurricane, we can do the same for Jersey. Thirty Acres is hardly hardship duty. Order the $16 quail. Pemoulie smokes the bird over hickory, imparting a gentle sweetness. Then he ups the ante with a swath of tart cranberry sauce and a small mound of walnut bread pudding.

It?s one of just 17 items on the menu; such are the constraints of a small, 40-seat restaurant. There are no reservations for small parties, no sound absorbing linens, no formal bread service. The upside is that the menu isn?t littered with fancy pizzas, fish tacos or large-format items coyly priced ?for two.?

No steaks, either. Pemoulie sears gargantuan, beef-like blocks of duck breast ($27), as filling as beef with a hint of game and a roundhouse kick of cumin.

Instead of risotto, we get spelt ($17), a quinoa-like grain that acts as a springboard for pancetta and sea urchin.

Brown Bag

Pemoulie loves intense flavors. He jolts the palate with the gentle pain of heat throughout your meal. Oysters (never too cold, never messily shucked), are paired with a dollop of beet cocktail sauce. Your nose begins to run. Cod collar ($12) is a fatty, sticky slice of fish that soaks up salty soy and more jalepeno.

Braised chuck flap, meltingly tender, is finished with a generous shaving of sinus-clearing fresh horseradish ($27).

And cavatelli ($14) are jazzed with so many chilies you might think you?re in a Sichuan restaurant. You?re reaching for a tissue but the fire never overwhelms the dish?s bitter broccoli and fragrant mint.

The chef also knows how to use neutral ingredients to heighten flavors. Cod steamed in cabbage is a subtle vehicle for Polish sausage. Arctic char ($26) is pretty much just that, a slab of medium rare fish with no bells or whistles. Balance is respected.

Well, most of the time. Baked clams are just a pile of dry breadcrumbs atop the bivalves ($13). And neither brioche nor cranberries can balance the off-putting tang of chicken liver pate.

A liquor license can run as much as $150,000 in this town (Pemoulie hopes to acquire one in the new year), so for now, bring your own.

Finish with a cup of strong coffee, dig into tart apple crisp and stare at the quiet streets. Welcome to the sixth borough.

Rating: **1/2

The Bloomberg Questions

Price: All dishes $27 or less.

Sound Level: Shouty, sometimes over 80 when full.

Date Place: Canoodling happens at the bar.

Special Feature: Check Thirty Acres?s tumblr for specials.

Inside Tip: Avoid too-sweet sweet potato tortellini.

Back on My Own Dime: You bet.

Thirty Acres is at 500 Jersey Ave., Jersey City. Information: +1-201-435-3100 or http://thirtyacres.tumblr.com

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11 ... are-to-jersey-review.html

Posted on: 2012/11/22 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I disagree

an interesting point.

so anyone that reviews this spot is doing so because of the momo connection? or just NY publications? and what's wrong with tracking a chef who makes a move from a "high profile" spot? isn't that the point of food journalism.

Posted on: 2012/6/26 16:37

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017