Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Property values in the Heights (post Sandy)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the welcome! Definitely looking forward to getting to know the neigborhood and the neighbors better.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
As a Heights resident, welcome. I have been saying this for a while now. More and more people are beginning to move up to the Heights as a result of being priced out of Hoboken and Downtown. The Heights will most likely not see the same level of gentrification as HBK or DT but it is definitely on the come up

Posted on: 2013/5/9 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to the neighborhood - glad you like it! We have tons of things going on - and have access to anything in hoboken we want (with half the property taxes!)

And yes, prepare for the naysayers to attack you for liking our neighborhood!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 20:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live in downtown JC in Hamilton park but used to own on Ogden Ave in the Heights. I LOVE that street. Everyone was super friendly, sure your don't have all the luxuries that downtown has but it is very nice.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 20:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/8 19:06
Group:
Registered Users
So glad you like it!

Quote:

marullos88 wrote:
Hello!

I?m new and wanted to chip in. I?m almost afraid to post, but here goes. A few months ago my husband I decided to leave Hoboken in order to pay less rent, be able to travel more, and save up to buy a house. I started reading threads like this one (in fact, I read this one), and let me tell you, the naysayers are doing a great disservice to these neighborhoods and to the people who are considering them for whatever reason (money, space, etc.)

From the naysaying, I was afraid that if I left Hoboken I would be living in some horrible dump in a crime ridden dirty place, and doubling my commuting time to NYC. I was wondering if our only choice was to continue letting our money go down the rent drain to avoid such a horrible fate. Omg, I feel like a fool! I lived 4 blocks from the Heights for years and had never visited. So we did, we walked over, took the elevator, and voila! What a nice, normal neighborhood! And yes, each area in the Heights is different, but it was great to see with my own eyes how quiet and normal many of its areas are. Because that?s the thing, many parts of the Heights are just normal neighborhoods. It?s true, no coffee shops or fancy lounges, but the middle class suburb I grew up didn?t have these things! Neither did my husband?s small town in upstate NY. We have access to those things in NYC, where we both work, so it?s not the end of the world. And we can walk/bike/bus/train it to Hobo.
Also, I checked crime stats and for the last 2 years The Heights has had half the crime in twice the geographical area when compared to Hoboken.
And, my commute is exactly the same! 40 minutes door to door to the W Village.
We had dinner out the other day for $20? what?! I was giddy with disbelief.
So yes, we can?t afford the lifestyle we want in Hobo, but that?s ok! We are very happy in the Heights! We are now between Europe or Asia for our next trip this year

Posted on: 2013/5/8 18:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 6:51
From Bergen Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Hello!

I?m new and wanted to chip in. I?m almost afraid to post, but here goes. A few months ago my husband I decided to leave Hoboken in order to pay less rent, be able to travel more, and save up to buy a house. I started reading threads like this one (in fact, I read this one), and let me tell you, the naysayers are doing a great disservice to these neighborhoods and to the people who are considering them for whatever reason (money, space, etc.)

From the naysaying, I was afraid that if I left Hoboken I would be living in some horrible dump in a crime ridden dirty place, and doubling my commuting time to NYC. I was wondering if our only choice was to continue letting our money go down the rent drain to avoid such a horrible fate. Omg, I feel like a fool! I lived 4 blocks from the Heights for years and had never visited. So we did, we walked over, took the elevator, and voila! What a nice, normal neighborhood! And yes, each area in the Heights is different, but it was great to see with my own eyes how quiet and normal many of its areas are. Because that?s the thing, many parts of the Heights are just normal neighborhoods. It?s true, no coffee shops or fancy lounges, but the middle class suburb I grew up didn?t have these things! Neither did my husband?s small town in upstate NY. We have access to those things in NYC, where we both work, so it?s not the end of the world. And we can walk/bike/bus/train it to Hobo.
Also, I checked crime stats and for the last 2 years The Heights has had half the crime in twice the geographical area when compared to Hoboken.
And, my commute is exactly the same! 40 minutes door to door to the W Village.
We had dinner out the other day for $20? what?! I was giddy with disbelief.
So yes, we can?t afford the lifestyle we want in Hobo, but that?s ok! We are very happy in the Heights! We are now between Europe or Asia for our next trip this year

Posted on: 2013/5/7 18:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/13 18:52
From Plovdiv
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

kitten wrote:

Central Ave liquors - great selection. big. no bullet proof glass

And there are many more great places all on Central AVe. We shop REGULARLY at all of these places. I don't need an overpriced cupcake shop or boutique with a small selection of expensive clothes to make me feel like my neighborhood represents me.

The example above made me giggle - if "lack of bulletproof glass" is the best selling point I have to wonder what your point of reference is.

I am also not a fan of trendy, twee businesses but I will tell you what I would like that isn't on your list: a coffee shop (or three) that hosts art, music and community events. A variety of bars, from good dives to martini type places. A similar range of restaurants including a few special occasion type places. An art gallery or five. In a truly ideal world, several small to medium size live music venues.

Right now downtown has most of the things on that list. I like being able to walk to all of it. I am really hopeful that the new arts zoning ordinance will promote growth in these areas in the heights because as much as I love culture, I sure would also love to eventually buy property with a yard and parking spot.

The bulletproof glass reference was a joke. About 15 years ago, the liquor store on Avenue C and 3rd that I would go to had bulletproof glass.

Central Ave liquors is nice.

And sure, some of those things on your list would be great. MY list was more in response to the "it's nothing but 99 cents stores" attitude.

Trolley Car bar on Palisade is a start. As well as there is a good bar on Stanford (I believe) that my husband refers to as "his favorite"

Thanks Kitten! I didn't know about trolley car bar. I just read what is opening in the heights from that JCHeights website and everytime I see something like this opening I think we are going backwards - Reference Photo:

Resized Image

From the reviews on Yelp, Trolley Car Bar sounds great

Posted on: 2013/4/2 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
As far as I know, the meeting should be on. You can give Vinne (number on site) a call. But, they usually have the meeting even though they don't post the event on the calendar. They typically take a break during the summer til September, so now is a great time to come. See you there if you can make it.

Posted on: 2013/2/21 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
downtown has their share of 99 cent stores and cheapo stores - sleep cheap, rainbow, payless, store across the street with barcade that smells and sells probably stolen nick nacks, etc.

Although the variety is definitely better than the heights.

It's not a hard concept but if you have a bunch of 99 cent/cheapo stores, you're not going to get the demographic that will help you increase your property values.

When a brooks brothers opens up in Manhattan, no one says, "we don't need an overpriced suit store." That is such a horrible attitude

If anything you should WANT and BEG for the overpriced stores to come so the type of people which those stores cater to might give your neighborhood a second look.

What impression do you think people have when they walk down central ave or even newark ave and see all those 99 cent cheapo stores? The impression isn't, "wow, this place is affordable, let me live here." It's "wow, the ghetto.."

When people walk down saks fifth ave in nyc, they are impressed and aspire to live there. JC should have that attitude. Again, not a hard concept and the only way to increase your property values besides major connections to NYC and a major improvement in public schools. Of the three, improving local businesses is the most viable...

You should move into the Short Hills Mall.

I LOL'd so hard I wet my Brooks Bros. suit But seriously, I think we should all write tasteful notes to Tiffany, on our engraved stationery, suggesting that they open in the Borinquen Hardware space. Facing Europa would actually be casting pearls before swine.

That's the best suggestion I've heard from you. If only you weren't joking.

I actually don't think the people of JC are "swine." Maybe only those who shop at the 99 cent stores and places with the word "cheap" in them.

If whole foods or trader joes actually opened in JC, we would attract more of the people that have made JC somewhat better - those people who can actually afford a brooks bother suit. Most of them already live in Newport, another area that is hated on by many of you.

I want to reiterate that if you want property values to rise, you need those people. However, you can have all your "dinginess" (a nice word for the ghetto I suppose) and resell your place for less than 25% of what a comparable property goes for in nyc and less than 50% of what a comparable property goes for in dtjc.

Hey heights owners, you can still look at greenville and bl and say your homes are worth more...whatever that is worth (not much..in dollar terms of course).

I was in no way referring to anyone as swine - I was alluding to the pork products sold at Europa. For more insight see Matthew 7:6. Calling people swine would put me in the same category as those who call people guidos, morons, pretentious assholes, etc.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
downtown has their share of 99 cent stores and cheapo stores - sleep cheap, rainbow, payless, store across the street with barcade that smells and sells probably stolen nick nacks, etc.

It's not a hard concept but if you have a bunch of 99 cent/cheapo stores, you're not going to get the demographic that will help you increase your property values.

When a brooks brothers opens up in Manhattan, no one says, "we don't need an overpriced suit store." That is such a horrible attitude

If anything you should WANT and BEG for the overpriced stores to come so the type of people which those stores cater to might give your neighborhood a second look.

What impression do you think people have when they walk down central ave or even newark ave and see all those 99 cent cheapo stores? The impression isn't, "wow, this place is affordable, let me live here." It's "wow, the ghetto.."

When people walk down saks fifth ave in nyc, they are impressed and aspire to live there. JC should have that attitude. Again, not a hard concept and the only way to increase your property values besides major connections to NYC and a major improvement in public schools. Of the three, improving local businesses is the most viable...

I LOL'd so hard I wet my Brooks Bros. suit But seriously, I think we should all write tasteful notes to Tiffany, on our engraved stationery, suggesting that they open in the Borinquen Hardware space. Facing Europa would actually be casting pearls before swine.

That's the best suggestion I've heard from you. If only you weren't joking.

I actually don't think the people of JC are "swine." Maybe only those who shop at the 99 cent stores and places with the word "cheap" in them.

If whole foods or trader joes actually opened in JC, we would attract more of the people that have made JC somewhat better - those people who can actually afford a brooks bother suit. Most of them already live in Newport, another area that is hated on by many of you.

I want to reiterate that if you want property values to rise, you need those people. However, you can have all your "dinginess" (a nice word for the ghetto I suppose) and resell your place for less than 25% of what a comparable property goes for in nyc and less than 50% of what a comparable property goes for in dtjc.

Hey heights owners, you can still look at greenville and bl and say your homes are worth more...whatever that is worth (not much..in dollar terms of course).

Posted on: 2013/2/20 2:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
I've lived in the Heights, near the Western slope for 7 years. While the property values will take some time to return to what they were when I bought here, I have to say I do like the area. I also think the area has improved. Like anywhere, you need to stay aware, but I can come home fairly late and still feel fine walking in the neighborhood. My only real complaint is that you do have some neighbors that like to party and blast music. I've been looking at other neighborhoods (DTJC costs too much), just still like the feel of the Heights. Transportation is also great-- You can catch buses or jitneys right into the City and the walk to Journal Sq (from the lower end of the Heights) is not bad. Central Ave stores could improve and hopefully will.

Just want to let other Heights residents know there is a great Heights neighborhood association. Meetings are the 3rd Thursday of the month at 7PM in the Auditorium of PS #28 School .
http://heightshope.webs.com/

@Sam112,
I don't see the meeting on the calender of the website. It is a sure-thing. 3rd Thursday of every month at 7pm? Where can I go to get on a list or something?

@VA2015
I don't know... those stores & venues you pointed out would be nice and I'm sure would raise the housing prices here. But for now, I like the Heights as is. But I enjoy that transition phase of a neighborhood and the slight to severe dinginess. I find all the stores that kitten listed to be just fine, it fits my material needs and my humor needs. And the moment a place becomes "hip" or gentrified, I find myself leaving, not due to price but because of the atmosphere. I went from UES in NYC, to 110th St "Harlem", to Williamsburg, to Grove, to Heights, to Greenville. Just love me some hoood! (That and working in Manhattan day and night, by 7pm, I'd had it up to here with the fancy 5th Ave stuff)

Posted on: 2013/2/20 1:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/19 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/19 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/19 22:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
"There's" not "theirs." I know better than that.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 21:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And just a couple of doors down from Central Liquor, in that beautiful old firehouse across from Pershing Field, is ....drumroll please, the headquarters of the DIY TV show "COUSINS ON CALL." It's on HGTV. They used to have a show called "Kitchen Cousins" which splashed Hoboken signs all over the place in the opening credits/intro section. It used to bug me to see them so blatantly lie about their location in an obvious attempt to hitch their wagon to the Cake Boss's star. The new show fixed the credits and theirs a tiny flash of a sign "Jersey City" which if you blinked, you'd miss. At least it's factual now.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, and if you want you can go to this. I'll probably walk there.

THE DISTILLERY GALLERY & ARTSPACE Presents:
"I See You"
Curated by Gabriel Pacheco
Opening Reception, Friday March 1st, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Exhibit March 1st to March 31st, 2013

Featured artists include Laura Bochet, Sophia Dawson; Michelle Doll; Saheve Greef; Lehna Huie and Voodoo Fe' Mathelier

7 Hutton Street
Jersey City, New Jersey
Email: Gabriel Pacheco at grp156@gmail.com
Follow on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DistilleryJC
Like on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DistilleryGalleryandArtspace

Posted on: 2013/2/19 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

kitten wrote:

And there are many more great places all on Central AVe. We shop REGULARLY at all of these places. I don't need an overpriced cupcake shop or boutique with a small selection of expensive clothes to make me feel like my neighborhood represents me.

The example above made me giggle - if "lack of bulletproof glass" is the best selling point I have to wonder what your point of reference is.

I am also not a fan of trendy, twee businesses but I will tell you what I would like that isn't on your list: a coffee shop (or three) that hosts art, music and community events. A variety of bars, from good dives to martini type places. A similar range of restaurants including a few special occasion type places. An art gallery or five. In a truly ideal world, several small to medium size live music venues.

Right now downtown has most of the things on that list. I like being able to walk to all of it. I am really hopeful that the new arts zoning ordinance will promote growth in these areas in the heights because as much as I love culture, I sure would also love to eventually buy property with a yard and parking spot.

The bulletproof glass reference was a joke. About 15 years ago, the liquor store on Avenue C and 3rd that I would go to had bulletproof glass.

Central Ave liquors is nice.

And sure, some of those things on your list would be great. MY list was more in response to the "it's nothing but 99 cents stores" attitude.

Trolley Car bar on Palisade is a start. As well as there is a good bar on Stanford (I believe) that my husband refers to as "his favorite"

Posted on: 2013/2/19 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I think Kennedy Store is in the process of going out of business.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/19 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

justcolorado wrote:

The other problem, is the lack of interesting retail businesses. There is nothing but 99 cent stores, We Buy Gold, and "Pollo a la Brasa" in the Heights. You can't have a cool neighborhood without some cool cafes and nice restaurants, but you can't open one of those businesses without having the clientele who will be willing to go there. Seems like a what came first the chicken or the egg problem.

I think there are some really great businesses already in the Heights and I would like to list some of them here. Not all of Central is 99cents:

Rizzo Bakery ? one of the best plain slices in all of JC. This weekend Mama Rizzo included a free cookie for my son when my husband when to pick up our pizza. that? is priceless

Stop n shop - not great, a little dingy, but definitely useful.

Adrea Salumeria - amazing fresh mozz and other italian food. AH-mazing. And friendly.

Kennedy Dept store - Good selection of housewares at super cheap prices. No, it's not crate and barrel but for basics it works.

Chase bank - it's my bank, so that's great

Grille 247 - I hear the burger is excellent

Sweet Pineapple - nice produce

Cafe Rhumba - super cheap and tasty cuban food. A nice place to dine in. Friendly staff.

Gino's - really great Italian Food and pizza.

Novick Hardware

Hauptman carpet (GREAT installation, professional, quality products)

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Step 2 of the proposed Heights rezoning efforts have reached a critical moment. Please consider attending this meeting on Feb 27 @ 6pm. The Heights renaissance hinges on the entire community's coordinated support of these changes. See below for more details.

------------------

COME OUT AND SUPPORT RIVERVIEW ARTS DISTRICT (RAD) ZONING!!! CITY COUNCIL MEETING FEBRUARY 27, 6PM AT CITY HALL!!!

On February 5th, the Jersey City Planning Board recommended 4-3, two amendments to the zoning in our area for passage by the City Council: the Riverview Arts District R1 Overlay Zone and changes to zoning along Palisade Ave (R2) that will add restaurants (not drive-thru) as a permitted use.

The City Council will hold a public hearing and vote on these two amendments at its February 27th meeting (6PM, City Hall, Council Chambers at 280 Grove Street). It is IMPORTANT that the community come to this meeting to show its support.

RNA at City Council Meeting to support RAD Zoning
February 27 at 6:00pm
City Hall in Jersey City, New Jersey

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
I've lived in the Heights, near the Western slope for 7 years. While the property values will take some time to return to what they were when I bought here, I have to say I do like the area. I also think the area has improved. Like anywhere, you need to stay aware, but I can come home fairly late and still feel fine walking in the neighborhood. My only real complaint is that you do have some neighbors that like to party and blast music. I've been looking at other neighborhoods (DTJC costs too much), just still like the feel of the Heights. Transportation is also great-- You can catch buses or jitneys right into the City and the walk to Journal Sq (from the lower end of the Heights) is not bad. Central Ave stores could improve and hopefully will.

Just want to let other Heights residents know there is a great Heights neighborhood association. Meetings are the 3rd Thursday of the month at 7PM in the Auditorium of PS #28 School .

And keep in mind that this meeting also houses the monthly North District Police Captain's Meeting. The meeting opens up with the police captain speaking and taking questions first then the regular local meeting takes place after the captain leaves. The captain's meeting is for the entire area of the Heights

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:18
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Willie- Let's keep this to ourselves and let the naysayers say what they will. Actually, I used to be a Heights-basher but I've seen the light, especially after Sandy and I was forced to take the jitneys to Manhattan via Union City.

I friend had to take the NJ transit bus from Port Authority and it took a shocking 15 minutes around 6pm

+1 I even got a email from a tenant after Sandy saying how much they love having power and a non-flooded basement.

I'm an investor and I'm loving every minute of it! More income producing properties for me!

Seems like a lot of bashers have never even lived in the neighborhood that they bash (with a few exceptions).

Posted on: 2013/2/19 17:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:
This thread really started as a post-Sandy discussion. Will people in Hoboken consider moving to the Heights after this major flood? I honestly wondered the same thing. Not everyone that lives in Hoboken is near the PATH and many have to hop on the 126 or catch a cab to get home. I see a lot of people who live in the higher number streets catching the bus on Willow Ave (pre-storm) in the morning to get into the city. So, I wonder, why not just add 5-10 minutes to your commute AND get the added bonus of living on higher ground?

+1

Posted on: 2013/2/19 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/19 0:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't want to live in the next Hoboken or downtown Jersey City. I like the Heights... a lot. I have a GREAT block with GREAT neighbors and lots of space. I do wish people would stop littering and pick up their dog poo. I do wish we didn't have so many cable wires hanging everywhere. Other than that, I drive all over this city and Hudson County for the stuff I want to buy. No offense but the restaurants in Hoboken and DTJC (with exception of a few) aren't that great... not compared to NYC, which is where I go if I want an excellent night out. Everything else, including an excellent cappuccino can be had at Rizzo's bakery.

Oh and let me add I'd rather swallow glass than live in Williamsburg. Would I like my property value to rise? Of course (according to many of my friends here, theirs already have risen this past year), but in terms of the type of community I want to live in, one that is diverse and interesting, where people try to come together to create change (ie, Farms in the Heights, RNA, Yoga in the Heights, PFGF) I'm pretty happy here.

To each his/her own.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 22:23

Edited by kitten on 2013/2/18 22:40:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

justcolorado wrote:
I read this entire thread and was laughing out loud while reading it! Especially the comments from Vindication_15, and while everybody else here loves to hate him. V15 is right. Yes, He is right. And I will say it.........

I bought in the Heights because I couldn't afford the same thing in Manhattan. Now you all need to go ahead and say it too. Go ahead and say it along with me: We bought in the Heights because we couldn't afford the same thing in Manhattan.

In my case I bought a Mixed Use Building on Central Avenue in 2005. 435k I paid all cash. I wanted to be ground floor in the next Hoboken or Williamsburg. I was thinking the same thing all the other dreamers were thinking: this place is the next big thing.

I remember reading an article right at the same time saying that this is a real estate bubble and the safest place to buy in a Bubble is the most prime real estate such as SOHO. I thought what a crock of malarney. SOHO is already way overpriced. Today SOHO is higher and the heights is down. Lesson learned: Prime real estate is much less risky.

When I look at the prices in the Heights today, I just can't believe how cheap it is in comparison with other neighborhoods of comparable demographics and commute distances. $200 psqft for a condo in the Heights vs $500 in Hoboken $450 in DTJC. $1,000 in prime brooklyn, $700 in OK brooklyn, and $500 in Ghetto Brooklyn. $2,000 in SOHO/TRIBECA. The heights seems like a great value. But I thought the same 8 years ago, and it seems like we are still the first ones here.

I don't know why people aren't flocking to the heights and buying those $200,000 1000 sq foot condos or $300,000 houses with yards. But they aren't. And I think the best that we can really hope for is that the price gap from DTJC and the heights narrows a little. I don't think the heights will ever be worth more than DTJC.

I think the Heights has 2 main problems has been holding it back from Mass Gentrification. The fist one is the hardest to overcome. A massive physical barrier. The cliff. That cliff breaks the gentrification wave completely. The elevator helps a little but not enough. IMHO If the cliff wasn't there, it would have already happened a long time ago. The gentrification goes right to the cliff and then stops.

The other problem, is the lack of interesting retail businesses. There is nothing but 99 cent stores, We Buy Gold, and "Pollo a la Brasa" in the Heights. You can't have a cool neighborhood without some cool cafes and nice restaurants, but you can't open one of those businesses without having the clientele who will be willing to go there. Seems like a what came first the chicken or the egg problem.

I just finished a total gut renovation of my building. I about to start redoing my facade and try to make the building and storefront attractive for the type of business I would like to see as a tenant. But sometimes I am afraid I am wasting my money and the renovation is just lipstick on a pig.

If you already own in the heights, fix your place up. Raise the standards on the minimum income that your tenants must have in order to rent the place. My number is $75,000 minimum. If that became the minimum income neighborhood wide property values would go up.

And don't hate V-15 for pointing out the ugly truth. You can hate him for his lack of appreciation for the arts though.

I like the hate. It makes me happy :)

Posted on: 2013/2/18 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
JustColorado, you missed the #1 thing holding back the Heights. 24/7 transportation into Manhattan. Without it, there won't be a dramatic increase in property values.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 21:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/13 18:52
From Plovdiv
Group:
Registered Users
I read this entire thread and was laughing out loud while reading it! Especially the comments from Vindication_15, and while everybody else here loves to hate him. V15 is right. Yes, He is right. And I will say it.........

I bought in the Heights because I couldn't afford the same thing in Manhattan. Now you all need to go ahead and say it too. Go ahead and say it along with me: We bought in the Heights because we couldn't afford the same thing in Manhattan.

In my case I bought a Mixed Use Building on Central Avenue in 2005. 435k I paid all cash. I wanted to be ground floor in the next Hoboken or Williamsburg. I was thinking the same thing all the other dreamers were thinking: this place is the next big thing.

I remember reading an article right at the same time saying that this is a real estate bubble and the safest place to buy in a Bubble is the most prime real estate such as SOHO. I thought what a crock of malarney. SOHO is already way overpriced. Today SOHO is higher and the heights is down. Lesson learned: Prime real estate is much less risky.

When I look at the prices in the Heights today, I just can't believe how cheap it is in comparison with other neighborhoods of comparable demographics and commute distances. $200 psqft for a condo in the Heights vs $500 in Hoboken $450 in DTJC. $1,000 in prime brooklyn, $700 in OK brooklyn, and $500 in Ghetto Brooklyn. $2,000 in SOHO/TRIBECA. The heights seems like a great value. But I thought the same 8 years ago, and it seems like we are still the first ones here.

I don't know why people aren't flocking to the heights and buying those $200,000 1000 sq foot condos or $300,000 houses with yards. But they aren't. And I think the best that we can really hope for is that the price gap from DTJC and the heights narrows a little. I don't think the heights will ever be worth more than DTJC.

I think the Heights has 2 main problems has been holding it back from Mass Gentrification. The fist one is the hardest to overcome. A massive physical barrier. The cliff. That cliff breaks the gentrification wave completely. The elevator helps a little but not enough. IMHO If the cliff wasn't there, it would have already happened a long time ago. The gentrification goes right to the cliff and then stops.

I just finished a total gut renovation of my building. I about to start redoing my facade and try to make the building and storefront attractive for the type of business I would like to see as a tenant. But sometimes I am afraid I am wasting my money and the renovation is just lipstick on a pig.

If you already own in the heights, fix your place up. Raise the standards on the minimum income that your tenants must have in order to rent the place. My number is $75,000 minimum. If that became the minimum income neighborhood wide property values would go up.

And don't hate V-15 for pointing out the ugly truth. You can hate him for his lack of appreciation for the arts though.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 20:51

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017