Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
73 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 73

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: FYI: Laws Concerning When and How to Shovel Snow
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Of course, leave it to the city government to improperly quote the municipal codes... :/

For those who don't bother to actually read these things, and simply are parroting misquoted information, here is the official code, which was also incorrectly identified on the City website:

296-1.1. - Duties of owners or occupants of residential property; time for removal.

Every owner, occupant or person having charge of a residential building or vacant lot shall, in case of a snowfall, clear such snow from the sidewalks and gutters thereof to the extent of one foot outside the curb in front of the building or lot, as well as on the side thereof where the building or lot faces on more than one street, within eight hours after the snow has fallen. If the snow has fallen during the night, removal shall be finished within eight hours after sunrise.

To the OP (MonmouthMan) why would ANYONE assume that the 8-hour clock starts at the beginning of snowfall??

To anonymess: I believe the Foundry could have done a better job of clearing their sidewalks, but they certainly did so within 8 hours of sunrise on Saturday. That's within the law.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 21:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MonmouthMan wrote:
Under City Ordinance, Chapter 296 - 1-6, residents are not allowed to deposit snow into the street after it is has been plowed. Residents who are removing snow from around a vehicle, sidewalk, or home are required to pile all shoveled snow against the curb line.

Every time I dig out my car I feel paranoid about this stupid law. On a day like today, putting the snow into the street is the best thing to do with it. The sun and the action of traffic speeds its melting. If you follow the law, you build a wall between sidewalk and street which inconveniences pedestrians for days if not weeks and narrows the space available for parking.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 22:43
Follow the yellow brick road.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
The Foundry by LSP hasn't bothered to shovel at all as of 11:10am Saturday morning. Nice.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
If this city won't hand out tickets for the rampant dog shit all over the sidewalks, I doubt they're going to hand out tickets for incorrect snow shoveling protocol.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
It's after the end of the snowfall, not the start.

I.e. we have until around 2pm before it's a problem/violation.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 15:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
According to the city's website referenced below, 'Residents who are removing snow from around a vehicle, sidewalk, or home are required to pile all shoveled snow against the curb line'.

Well maybe it doesn't have to be done by 10 pm tonight, but it must be done by sunrise. From below,''within 8 hours of snowfall or by sunrise, whichever comes first'Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
If you can't leave the snow on the sidewalk and can't shovel it in to the street... Them where can u put it?

Posted on: 2013/2/9 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Their website says nothing about 10PM tonight.

It is just your interpretation based on the understanding that "after snowfall" means "after the beginning of the snowfall".

I can't be certain, but I think that an interpretation "after the end of snowfall" is more reasonable.

Not that I expect a law or a city ordinance to be reasonable...

Posted on: 2013/2/9 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If you can't leave the snow on the sidewalk and can't shovel it in to the street... Them where can u put it?

Posted on: 2013/2/9 2:04

FYI: Laws Concerning When and How to Shovel Snow
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The rain turned to snow and sleet about 2pm , that means residents must have their walks shoveled by 10pm tonight according to the city's website!

Under City Ordinance, Chapter 296 - 1-6, residents are required to shovel snow and ice from the sidewalks surrounding their property within 8 hours of snowfall or by sunrise, whichever comes first

Under City Ordinance, Chapter 296 - 1-6, business owners are required to remove snow and ice from the sidewalks surrounding their property within 4 hours of snowfall or by sunrise, whichever comes first

If a property has not been cleared of snow or ice in a timely fashion, or if an individual is shoveling snow into the street, residents can contact OEM at 201-547-5566 or 201-547-5681

When shoveling snow, residents and business owners are asked to create a path wide enough for a stroller or wheelchair to get through. Anyone who does not shovel their sidewalk could receive a summons from the JCIA

Under City Ordinance, Chapter 296 - 1-6, residents are not allowed to deposit snow into the street after it is has been plowed. Residents who are removing snow from around a vehicle, sidewalk, or home are required to pile all shoveled snow against the curb line. Inspectors will be issuing warnings and summonses to individuals who violate this ordinance

If snow or ice has not been cleared within one to two days after the storm, please contact the Mayor?s Action Bureau at 201-547- 4900.

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/resident.aspx?id=12218

Posted on: 2013/2/8 22:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017