Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: Brick Haus Gym
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mao wrote:
I've always found Club Metro adequate. Nothing fancy like Club H. Locker rooms a bit cramped. But the price is right and the managment is responsive.

Good to hear. years ago a good 50% of the treadmills would not be working properly at any given time. Hopefully they've upped their game.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
I've always found Club Metro adequate. Nothing fancy like Club H. Locker rooms a bit cramped. But the price is right and the managment is responsive.

Posted on: 2017/3/7 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I quit club metro years ago because it was so poorly maintained. Has it improved? There's always World Boxing on 6th....

Posted on: 2017/3/7 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

speedy21 wrote:
Does anyone know what will be going into the space?

I heard rumors of a multi room/theme club

Posted on: 2017/3/7 15:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/6 18:06
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what will be going into the space?

Posted on: 2017/3/6 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Uh Uh- Club Metro is already crowded at peak times.

Posted on: 2017/3/6 14:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 17:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Should be noted that Brick Haus sent a letter to their members today saying that they will be permanently closing on March 15th.

All memberships are being transferred to Club Metro.

Posted on: 2017/3/6 0:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/28 18:10
Group:
Registered Users
i miss brick house I'm a personal trainer for 28yrs had a client who's trained with me for 22 of those we joined brick haus last year,it was great mike was always cool and facility is way above any other in jc ,
We have moved to newport swim and fitness and although the new club is more convenient to my clients office it is under equipt ,on the plus side they have a pool,but we will be goin back to brick next year.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gordonh wrote:
i don't want to take this off topic, but I have to. i have been a member of Brick Haus for several years and i have been happy enough there.

BUT today there was an inconsiderate slob who was on a treadmill this morning around 10:30 AM with red workout pants on, coughing and hacking for 20 minutes (not even covering his mouth).

- If you are sick, stay home.
- at least, pick a machine that is not in the middle of others.
- Clean the machine off when you are done (whether you are sick or not),
- i know that covering your mouth isn't very effective, but at least make an attempt.

when i was leaving, i saw this nasty germ-spreader downstairs, in the free weight area.

So, whenever you get on a machine, just imagine this was the last person on there. Take care to clean it first!

Shame on you Mr. Disgusting Red Pants.

Beginning of the year is always the worst at gyms. You get the "resolution" crowd, but the influx of new members at Brick Haus has been more than normal this year, it seems. For the most part, the new people are courteous and follow gym etiquette, but yeah, there are a handful of clueless ones in the bunch. A couple of people seem to be angry Club H people with chips on their shoulders. One woman jumped off an elliptical because the TV wasn't working, muttering "this is just like Club H!" Her anger seem disproportionately large for one elliptical with a malfunctioning TV. Another stomped into the women's locker room one morning and angrily turned the dial on the sauna to the hottest setting with such force that she broke the knob.

The good news is most of these people will disappear by mid-March.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
i don't want to take this off topic, but I have to. i have been a member of Brick Haus for several years and i have been happy enough there.

BUT today there was an inconsiderate slob who was on a treadmill this morning around 10:30 AM with red workout pants on, coughing and hacking for 20 minutes (not even covering his mouth).

- If you are sick, stay home.
- at least, pick a machine that is not in the middle of others.
- Clean the machine off when you are done (whether you are sick or not),
- i know that covering your mouth isn't very effective, but at least make an attempt.

when i was leaving, i saw this nasty germ-spreader downstairs, in the free weight area.

So, whenever you get on a machine, just imagine this was the last person on there. Take care to clean it first!

Shame on you Mr. Disgusting Red Pants.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 2:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/26 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
I have been a memeber at Brick Haus for almost 3 years and have nothing but great things to say about it. It is pricey, but the proximity to my apartment is what made me start using this gym in the first place. One of the things I love the most (as silly as it seems) is to be welcomed (by name) without even having to swipe my card.

I will admit, this gym is a bit of a "sausage fest". There are times when I am the only womean in the gym, but I don't feel out of place and I never have a problem getting on a machine -- only exception is the few times both stairmasters are in use. Sometimes machines are broken, but I have never had an issue just switching to another.

I am not a big class person, so to some the offering may seem small, but when I was the only one who showed up to yoga a few weeks ago I got my own private class. Can't beat that.

I can't comment on the showers since I have never used them. I have also never used the steam room. I will say the suana has been a blessing on my poor cold muscles and lungs the last few weeks!

Disclaimer: I also tend to go to the gym at off peak times

Posted on: 2013/2/2 5:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/5 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't recommend it, they charge a premium for a no frills gym, they just have basic equipment, it is not kept clean, the steam room never works and I wouldn't clean my floor with the towels they provide for the showers. To make matters worse they nickel and dime you by charging a $5/month maintenance fee, which they obviously don't do any maintaining with. And whenever people have tried to cancel their membership they make it extremely difficult even when you meet their criteria. They come of as really cheap owners who take advantage of their members.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 22:10

Re: Brick Haus gym - any good?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cousin wrote:
Absolsutley not my experience. No towels in men's locker room and the one jug-head I dealt with was a just that, a jug-head.

Well, Brick Haus used to keep bath towels in the locker room, but people (people like you probably) kept taking four or five bath towels at a time so that there were never any left for the rest of us. So you have to ask at the front desk for bath towels when you check in, or before you head upstairs. What's the big deal?

Posted on: 2013/1/22 20:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users
Absolsutley not my experience. No towels in men's locker room and the one jug-head I dealt with was a just that, a jug-head.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 21:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dude, that's $960 a year. Brick Haus and Club H are both $899 a year. The YMCA is more money. And where is anyway?

Posted on: 2013/1/21 21:21

Brick Haus: SHADY FOLKS
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I worked out at Brick Huas today on a day pass to help me decide if I would join as my Club H membership expires. Upon entering they asked me to fill out 2 forms complete with my full name, address and phone number occupation etc... They also made a copy of my license and kept it both while I worked out. When I was about leave I asked for the license back and the copy of it. When the jug-head behind the counter said, "No, we keep a copy on file." I asked why, he said because we have break-ins and we need need it for identification purposes. I said well if you have breakins, that's more of a reason why I am not comfortable leaving behind a copy of my driver's license. He threatened to call the police and I said awesome, I was just about to do that. An off duty police officer was working out and overheard and walked over; after a few minutes of explaining to him that because once I walk out of this building I no longer have a relationship with this establishment and they have no right or need to hold a governement issued document of mine. The copy was returned to me and I was told by the jug-head, "Get out." Call me crazy but there is such a thing called identity theft and besides, they sell my information to telemarketers. Needless to say the lack of a towel in the locker room wasn't my only problem with Brick Haus.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Beware. Even if you sign the cancellation form and pay for your last month in full, there's a chance they'll continue hitting your debit card for months afterward. It's a nice gym, but they're also the reason I don't do auto-pay for anything anymore

Posted on: 2011/9/13 17:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/13 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone join brickhaus recently?
I'm looking to find out what the current rates are.
Initiation etc.

I can only assume they've gone down due to all the other gyms that have opened up. Club H seems pretty resonable for what they offer.

Thanks

Posted on: 2011/9/13 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

grovester wrote:
I'm probably going to join Brick Haus this weekend. They're having a special: $0 initiation, $69 per month. I figured I'll get in before the New Year's Resolution rush.

I was wondering if this was their best rate or if they might have better specials around New Year's, but based on what I'm seeing here, this seems like a good rate.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any updated/more recent opinions about Brick Haus before I commit.

That's the lowest I've heard them offer per month. Until now, the best deal was to pay for an entire year upfront at $899, which works out to $75/month - a bit cheaper than the $79-$89/month I heard they were offering people who were paying on a monthly basis.

A word of advice: Brick Haus, like all other gyms, has pretty onerous terms for membership cancellation, so read the contract carefully and don't believe what the sales guy tells you verbally (they'll make it sound like it's no problem to quit). I don't think they're any worse or better than any other gym out there when it comes to membership contract fine print. One of the reasons why I just pay for a year upfront by check is because I've heard too many horror stories about gyms continuing to charge your credit card even after they've agreed to terminate your membership or you've decided not to renew. By paying for a year upfront, there's an incentive to continually make use of the gym. Also if I need to drop the membership for whatever reason, I know that at worst, I'm out a finite amount of money rather than trying to fight off continued monthly charges on a credit card.

Also, don't know if they're still asking on the membership application, but don't give 'em your Social Security number. There is no reason on earth why they would need this (other than perhaps someday sending a debt collector after you). It's the first time I've ever had a gym ask for my SSN. Stand firm and say you're willing to defer membership activation until the check or credit card authorization clears. They'll give in on that one.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
I'm probably going to join Brick Haus this weekend. They're having a special: $0 initiation, $69 per month. I figured I'll get in before the New Year's Resolution rush.

I was wondering if this was their best rate or if they might have better specials around New Year's, but based on what I'm seeing here, this seems like a good rate.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any updated/more recent opinions about Brick Haus before I commit.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 15:19
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The boxing and fitness gym on division doesn't have BS member fee. Some gyms call it "initiation" fee. Just let them know that you know all about the machines and free weights and that you do not need to be "initiated". If they reply that initiation relates to "getting you name in the system", you can comment that a webcam and a few clicks are not worth that much money.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
The YMCA is 80 bucks a month with a 125 membership fee. those clubs seem completely responsible.

what are you all complaining about?

Posted on: 2009/11/7 19:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/21 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
It was $200 but they have dropped it recently. I dont know what it is now. They refuse to discuss prices over the phone. You have go there and take the "nickle" tour, meet the staff and they will finally reveal their prices. I have noticed this tactic will all fitness business'.

Like I said before they have a promotion on the blackbaord infront of their entrance.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 5:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/5 20:41
Group:
Registered Users
So Hudson, how much is the "new member bullshit fee"?

Posted on: 2009/11/5 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
For anyone that does not mind Ballys, there are a few lifetime memberships you can purchase from a current member with very low fixed annual fees (no longer offered at Bally's) which cannot be increased, ever. Only drawback is that the membership becomes yours forever..i.e. you can't transfer it to someone else.

I was looking around the other day after my annual membership at one of the nicer downtown gyms expired and ended up purchasing a Bally's lifetime membership for less than it would cost for an annual membership at Club H, Brick Haus or NYSC with a fixed membership renewal cost of under $30 for 12 months.

Even with the pay in full "discount" at the nicer area gyms, I was still ahead on day 1 with the bally membership I bought. Send a pm if interested.

For the flamers: I am not selling these memberships and do not benefit in anyway from any sale, just sharing what worked for me since $1,000 annually on a gym just does not work for me in the longterm.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 21:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone been able to break their contract without death, dismemberment or moving far away? I am paying $80 a month that I can't afford anymore. When I signed up I was making a lot more money than I am now...

Posted on: 2009/11/4 20:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/21 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
After the new member bullshit fee its $79.00 per month with a yearly contract. I forgot the yearly price but you save around $100 if you pay for a whole year up front.
They have a promotion on the blackbaord infront of their entrance.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 20:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/1 20:08
Group:
Registered Users
I was one of those members who stalked Mike the owner asking him weekly when are you opening??
Needless to say he remembered my name and was always cheery and professional when he saw me either in the gym or around JC. I recently had to quit the gym due to financial issues (who hasn't been hit right?) and Mike was more than accommodating and was trying to find a way to work around me closing my membership. Unfortunately I just couldn't do it but if I had the $ I'd be going again on a month to month contract. The steam and sauna's were always clean and wonderful after a workout and I never in the 1 1/2 years I was a member had to wait for any machine. If they had a pool I'd sell my soul to be a member again!

Posted on: 2009/6/25 19:27

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/19 13:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Im a member of Brick Haus as well and dont really have any complaints either.

After not going for over 9 months, I honestly tried to quit about a month ago, but long story short, they talked me into staying and it was a good decision. Now I made time to go every weekday morning and like most people have said, Ive never had to wait for a machine and Ive had nothing but positive experiences with the staff. The only thing I dont like about BH are their smoothies. Yuck.

You basically go in, do what you gotta do, and leave. If chilling and hanging around after your workout is your thing, then Club H is probably a better option for you. Ive never been there myself, but Ive walked by it on several occasions. Personally, I dont feel comfortable trying to talk to girls when Im a sweaty mess, but hey, some people just have more "swag" than me.

For parents with children, Brickhaus has a little kids room where they can play and watch TV while under the supervision of a staff member while you work out. The parking lot is a huge plus considering those vultures we call the parking authority are constantly hovering around that area.

Guess that's all I have to say.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 4:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
I have been going to Brickhaus for almost a year and I love it. I go at least 3X a week and never have to wait for a machine. The people working there are really nice, towel service is great, locker/restrooms are clean, they have a lot of room, and I hear they have good classes (I don't do classes). I highly recommend it!

Posted on: 2009/6/23 1:20

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017