Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
89 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 89

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Greenpoint's WORD Bookstore coming to Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCmolly wrote:

Great to have a bookstore nearby.

But anyone know what segment of the reading public WORD tries to attract? Hopefully not the hipster DBs who've overrun Greenpoint. I fear for my beloved downtown JC.

Is this 2003? Because in case you haven't noticed, it's kind of too late to be fearful of "hipsters" invading downtown JC. It's pretty much already happened.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCmolly wrote:
But I would find it reason enough to move if JC becomes the next hood to be 'discovered' by hipsters.

Too late.

Or, put another way, if you think "hipsters" haven't discovered Jersey City, you probably are one.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 19:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/17 4:01
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

JCmolly wrote:

But anyone know what segment of the reading public WORD tries to attract? Hopefully not the hipster DBs who've overrun Greenpoint. I fear for my beloved downtown JC.

I am pretty sure they try to attract every single segment of the reading public. Why would they not? All use the same currency. And if you are browsing for books, why would it matter if the person next to you is a hipster (or yipster, or yuppie, or whatever) or not? I think hipsters are about the silliest people on the planet, but why should their existence have any bearing one's own health and happiness? Live and let live.

nice sentiment, but no. a space that size needs to narrow its focus. my currency is the same as a Greenville mom's or Hamilton Park grade-schooler's, but I bet our tastes are different.

I could care less who I'm standing next to while I'm browsing books. It's the effect that these silly people can have on an entire neighborhood--in a very short period of time--that concerns me.

Do you think that where you choose to live should have any bearing on health and happiness? I chose JC because I like the restaurants, I like the stores, I like the parking, I love the vibe. You might welcome drastic changes to these things, or you might be indifferent to them--good for you. But I would find it reason enough to move if JC becomes the next hood to be 'discovered' by hipsters.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I'm excited to see an independent bookstore in JC!

Posted on: 2013/1/11 19:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
I am just excited to have a new bookstore in JC! Symposia and Tachair are both used bookstores, and therefore don't have the selection that a place like WORD will offer (and does offer, in BK).

As mentioned, WORD is remarkably well-curated and staffed by passionate, knowledgeable booksellers, and I'm really excited to have a local place to buy a new hardcover I've been waiting for, instead of shlepping it home from a B&N in Manhattan or ordering from Amazon.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

JCmolly wrote:

I am pretty sure they try to attract every single segment of the reading public. Why would they not? All use the same currency. And if you are browsing for books, why would it matter if the person next to you is a hipster (or yipster, or yuppie, or whatever) or not? I think hipsters are about the silliest people on the planet, but why should their existence have any bearing one's own health and happiness? Live and let live.

nice sentiment, but no. a space that size needs to narrow its focus. my currency is the same as a Greenville mom's or Hamilton Park grade-schooler's, but I bet our tastes are different.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 18:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
WORD is a good bookstore. Happy it's coming! I think it has a shot at making it?and maybe at occasionally bringing some people from Manhattan and Brooklyn over for events?given the location, just steps from the Grove Street PATH station.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCmolly wrote:

Posted on: 2013/1/11 18:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think it make much sense to cater a bookstore to white trash. There are only so many picture books in the world.

WORD mostly caters to middle-aged white people with more income than time who want to spoil their children but not with toys. They aren't really hipsters, more like the yipsters, or even just pure yuppies.

The store in Greenpoint has a proportionally large Children's Book section, perfect for those learning to read. Its a small store so their fiction section is compact, but well curated. They have other specialty books and of course the kinds of high end knick-knacks -- moleskins, fancy pens.

But primarily they are an events focused store with book launches, book readings, events built around new books and authors, panelists, ect. I'm not sure this is going to work in Jersey City given the proximity to better, more established, more easily accessible, better demographic venues for that sort of thing, but maybe.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 17:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Oh no.

From their website:

Finally, our favorite praise; the one that gets down to brass tacks: ?This is that quaint-looking book store in Greenpoint where hot hipster moms take their kids.?

Posted on: 2013/1/11 17:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/11 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
What is interesting about this is that WORD's business model is really based on an aggressive event schedule bringing customers to the shop to buy the products. That business model is dependent on both the writers' and the customers' willingness travel to the store. If they are successful, it will bring a lot of people to Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 16:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
There's Tachair, right up Newark ave.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 16:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Awesome.

I do have my worries about the viability of the business, but at least this would be the only bookstore in all of Hudson County except for Symposia in Hoboken, right?

Posted on: 2013/1/11 16:30

WORD Bookstore
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
In the space next to Roman Nose.

WORD Jersey City
123 Newark Ave