Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Pulaski Skyway to close for 2 years after Super Bowl:
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... udies/pulaski/survey.shtm

take the survey online - hopefully you can address your concerns there.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 16:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
The most obvious effect will be increased traffic and congestion on Truck 1&9, Communipaw Blvd, Grant St. It would be nice to hear if Jersey City has a plan to respond to this.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Is this going to worsen the congestion downtown from cars using local streets as an alternate route to the Holland Tunnel? It's already pretty hideous when the backup on Marin extends all the way to Grand on some days.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
It's a fair question. I suppose fewer commuters will drive into JC, park and take the PATH since it will be much more of a hassle to get into JC by car to get to the PATH. It might mean more people parking and getting on PATH in Newark or Harrison, or taking NJ Transit from Newark or Secaucus.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 13:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/28 17:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

BeenthereDonethat wrote:
I might be naive in asking this (since I am not a car owner and use public transit) but, how will something like this effect PATH? Better yet, will something like this effect PATH?

Will more commuters choose alternative driving routes (if there are any since I'm hearing the Bayonne bridge is under going work at the same time?)? Or will commuters who drive switch to NJ transit?

Just curious as you could imagine my concern between that and the new high rise towers expected to be built in JSQ. Hopefully this post is relevant to the thread. Thanks.

You mean affect as opposed to effect. As far as the PATH is concerned more people might decide to commute via public transportation including the PATH.

Yes affect. Sorry, it's an early morning for me today. Thanks for your input

Posted on: 2013/1/11 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BeenthereDonethat wrote:
I might be naive in asking this (since I am not a car owner and use public transit) but, how will something like this effect PATH? Better yet, will something like this effect PATH?

Will more commuters choose alternative driving routes (if there are any since I'm hearing the Bayonne bridge is under going work at the same time?)? Or will commuters who drive switch to NJ transit?

Just curious as you could imagine my concern between that and the new high rise towers expected to be built in JSQ. Hopefully this post is relevant to the thread. Thanks.

You mean affect as opposed to effect. As far as the PATH is concerned more people might decide to commute via public transportation including the PATH.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 12:09
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/28 17:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/1/11 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

When I had a car, I used to avoid the Pulaski like the plague. I would always see car/truck parts or an accident on it.

The only other bridge that scares me more is the Verrazano. I remember they were doing work on that bridge forever....and there is this nasty, steep turn to get on to it....just crazy!

Posted on: 2013/1/11 5:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
witt-penn? I don't think Mayor Wittpenn would appreciate that spelling.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 5:06
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget that they're also going to be raising the Bayonne bridge during the same time period!

Posted on: 2013/1/10 18:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pacoYtaco wrote:
so with pulaski closed, witt-penn closed all weekend, all we will have left is 1&9 truck over the great bridge that 2 cops plunged into the river when the drawbridge alerts were faulty or taking the turnpike and paying $4 for 3 miles. not that i don't agree with pulaski closing, it's a disaster waiting to happen, but witt-penn is closed all weekend and it doesn't look like they are doing much other than setting up cones and laughing at motorists who have to take fish house road.

As for the TP, the roadway is usually being worked on somewhere along it's length between May and October so it doesn't end up like the skyway. Should be a fun 2 or 3 years.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
so with pulaski closed, witt-penn closed all weekend, all we will have left is 1&9 truck over the great bridge that 2 cops plunged into the river when the drawbridge alerts were faulty or taking the turnpike and paying $4 for 3 miles. not that i don't agree with pulaski closing, it's a disaster waiting to happen, but witt-penn is closed all weekend and it doesn't look like they are doing much other than setting up cones and laughing at motorists who have to take fish house road.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 18:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
This will be a traffic disaster around Communipauw from the Blvd to 440.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
This bridge is that same design as the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis that collapsed a few years ago. After the collapse in Minn. extra reinforcing plates were added to the Pulaski Skyway bridge as a stop gap until it could be renovated.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
about time

Posted on: 2013/1/10 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
The Pulaski Skyway is one of the worst bridges in the United States -- and it has been that way since the day it opened.

First, it was built to get truck traffic off the city streets (the route that resembles today's 1&9 Truck). However, the United States Navy forced the engineers to increase the clearance over the Passaic and Hackensack rivers at the last minute, creating a very steep incline leading up to the two bridges that has prohibited truck traffic from using the bridge from day #1.

Second, it was designed in the early 30s, before anyone knew anything about highways and ramps were placed on the left, creating one of the most dangerous driving situations in New Jersey.

Third, its truss system closely resembles that of the failed bridge that killed a dozen people and injured another 200 in Minneapolis. Driving the Skyway is like playing a game of russian roulette. Remember that the next time you drive across.

=================================

Edit: If a auto-bridge connecting Liberty State Park to Jersey Ave is completed before this project, imagine the clusterfuck at exit 14B and into Downtown JC.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'll believe it. The Pulaski Skyway is certainly due for repair and it seems they are waiting for the years of construction on the Turnpike Extension and the Newark Bay Bridge to finally be completed. It's a shame that we can't have both open completely at the same time, but I suppose there aren't a lot of other options.

I am glad that the Skyway will still be open for outbound traffic, but it will be annoying to cough up $2.45 for the toll to come back from central Jersey every day.

Also posted here: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/ ... and-Tunnel-186249242.html

Posted on: 2013/1/10 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Yes. Wow. It mentions that it will be closed for NY-bound commuters. Wonder if that means the South/West bound side out of NY will still be open initially. We'll have to wait for the announcement. This is pretty crappy for me since I drive on the Skyway almost every day.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 14:52

Pulaski Skyway to close for 2 years after Super Bowl:
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(wow if this is true)
Pulaski Skyway to close for 2 years after Super Bowl: report

By The Jersey Journal
on January 10, 2013 at 8:01 AM,
updated January 10, 2013

The Pulaski Skyway in Jersey City will be closed for two years beginning in 2014 NBC 4 New York reported this morning.

It will be "out of commission for New York-bound drivers beginning in February of next year, after Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium," the article reported.

The source of the information declined to be named in the article because officials still had not been briefed.

An official announcement is expected this afternoon in Newark about a $1 billion project.

"While rebuilding the Pulaski to last another 75 years will take several years, the part impacting New York-bound commuters will last about two years," the article stated.

full JJ piece..

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... html#incart_river_default

Posted on: 2013/1/10 14:27

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact