Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JSQ/McGinley Sq. residents:Want yoga in our area?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks so much! I know Ed and he is on my list to talk to indeed. :)

Posted on: 2013/1/10 0:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
There is sort of an informal arts/local vendor nexus on Bergen Ave btw Duncan and Fairview - there is a shop called Ed's Salvage, Honey Bakery, the Aveda Salon, and a violin studio in that block, and the people that own/run those four places are all sort of cool, quasi-bohemian types that sometimes collaborate on little flea markets and other fun stuff in the neighborhood. I don't know how connected to yoga they might be, but as local small business owners who seem to be having some success in the 'hood with unique businesses, they are probably good people for you to meet and connect with. Those are the kind of places you would want to put up flyers when you get started. Thanks so much for taking the initiative!

Posted on: 2013/1/9 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I just moved up here 6 months ago after over 15 years downtown myself. This started mostly because I was looking for local classes to take up here, and came up with nothing. I know some yoga teachers who work downtown and a few have said they'd potentially be interested in starting classes up in our area once I told them about the lack of yoga.

There is a space we can potentially utilize on Bergen ave., about 4 blocks south of JSQ path (same block as Bally's) - a large carpeted room next to a new therapeutic massage practice the my neighbor has opened. Not a posh yoga studio, but its clean and functional and good sized. And location is pretty central to both JSQ & McGinley area. If things go well, we could make this a permanent yoga studio down the road. I have work to do still with the teachers in mind to determine the feasibility, levels offered, etc.

I really appreciate the feedback here. For those who asked, yes - we are doing other research on competition, level of interest, etc. As I am new up here, any input is helpful. Does anyone know of any community or artists groups up here I could reach out to to poll interest? I tried the Uptown Crew FB page, but no reply - seems a bit dormant.

Thanks everyone!

Posted on: 2013/1/9 17:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, interested. Nothing's been in the area since a short-lived class at St. Paul's church on Duncan Ave several years ago. Evenings are good, and Saturday classes might work.

What kind of space are you looking at?

Posted on: 2013/1/9 16:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yogacube is on Newark + Tonnele Ave - it's really more of an ayurvedic healing place that sells herbs and does acupuncture; I think they have an occasional yoga class (maybe once a week in the middle of the day) but the few times I've passed by it's not even been open. I don't think you really have to worry about it.

I've lived in this 'hood for nearly 7 years (after 15 years downtown), and trust me, I have scoured the territory looking for yoga. Right now there is only the one class at Super Impact that you mention. Several years ago there was a guy offering weekend hatha classes in the basement of the Aveda Salon on Bergen Ave, but that ended probably 3 years ago.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 16:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
I'd definitely be interested.

I am at an intermediate level and I've found that most places typically offer many beginner-level and gentle-yoga classes, but intermediate/advanced and power-yoga classes are harder to find (I'm sure there is far less demand for these) but that's one thing that would interest me greatly.

The best times are weekends (morning and midday/early afternoon) and weekday evenings.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I'm working with some folks on opening a new yoga studio here in the JSQ/McGinely Sq. area. It would be drop in classes, all levels. We would offer packages too.

Would folks up here be interested in this sort of thing? What sort of classes/times would interest you?

Posted on: 2013/1/9 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

kellyh wrote:
How will you compete with yogacube?

What and where is yogacube? I can't find any active trace of it online. More info would be helpful. Thanks.

As far as I can find, there is no place offering drop in yoga classes, beyond one class a week that Super Impact offers.

Resized Image

Yogacube

The website isn't live. Has anyone been to this place? If they aren't even listed live anywhere, how do we know they still are open?

Besides, there's plenty of room up here for more studios. Look at the plethora of them downtown.

This is your job my friend, you want to open a business find out who is the competition. Do your homework, and do not rely on JClisters to do it for you.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

kellyh wrote:

What and where is yogacube? I can't find any active trace of it online. More info would be helpful. Thanks.

As far as I can find, there is no place offering drop in yoga classes, beyond one class a week that Super Impact offers.

Resized Image

Yogacube

The website isn't live. Has anyone been to this place? If they aren't even listed live anywhere, how do we know they still are open?

Besides, there's plenty of room up here for more studios. Look at the plethora of them downtown.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

kellyh wrote:

Resized Image

Yogacube

Posted on: 2013/1/9 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kellyh wrote:

Posted on: 2013/1/9 2:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
YES PLEASE! I go to classes in Manhattan and Downtown JC, but I would LOVE to have a studio that I could walk to (I live near McGinley Square). Evening classes (7pm-ish) and early weekend morning classes would be great.

I like SunMoon Yoga downtown, but they have mostly hot yoga (Bikram-style) classes, which are not my thing. A non-hot studio in McGinley Square would be fantastic.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/1/8 18:05

JSQ/McGinley Sq. residents:Want yoga in our area?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm working with some folks on opening a new yoga studio here in the JSQ/McGinely Sq. area. It would be drop in classes, all levels. We would offer packages too.

Would folks up here be interested in this sort of thing? What sort of classes/times would interest you?

Posted on: 2013/1/8 17:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017