Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 52

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 »


Re: Dan is still Dan
#31
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/12/14 21:47
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 291
Offline
Quote:

DickCheney wrote:

That's right because Steve and his allies allowed it to be blocked at Bill O'Dea's request.


Absolute nonsense. But nice try at twisting this. Actually, Healy wanted to fold the DPW into the JCIA so that they could preserve all the patronage jobs -- as a favor to Sandra Cunningham.

The fact is that Healy has had plenty of time to enact positive change, but has failed (since this was not his real goal anyway -- keeping the paychecks coming is the goal). So he is now looking to run the clock.

Same thing for the Parking Authority. This is a nice juicy plum for his buddies. He could have moved on this years ago, but didn't, for obvious reasons.

But, I do have to give him some credit for working on city parks.


Posted on: 2013/1/10 12:52
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#30
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/7/27 20:36
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 91
Offline
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

OneJC wrote:
http://onejerseycity.org/?p=1363

Comments on the State of the City Address

Finally, the administration is working on long overdue and much needed initiatives.

During Mayor Healy?s State of the City address, we heard good news about moving forward on long-discussed necessary restructuring: merging the Jersey City Incinerator Authority and the Department of Public Works together; combining the Police and Fire Directors? offices into one public safety office; and eliminating the independent Parking Authority, putting it under the public safety umbrella and direct city control.

Daniel Levin


Good news inde.... Wait. What? But none of those things have happened and its almost a year later. What's your point?


That's right because Steve and his allies allowed it to be blocked at Bill O'Dea's request. In fact Bill stood there and told them how to table it so it could not be brought back easily and they followed his instructions. Now Steve has the double dipper Chico on his ticket. Chico, a Bill O'Dea clubroom guy, who was Phil Kenny's assistant when Phil was taking the Dwek bucks. Then David Donnelly's assistant. David who was perhaps the least responsive council member in the history of Jersey City. This guy and Sean Conners are supposedly everything Fulop supporters hate about Jersey City politics. Some change.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 11:55
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/2/8 16:51
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 350
Offline
Candice is a much better option for Ward E anyway

Posted on: 2013/1/10 2:47
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/10/19 1:18
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1578
Offline
Quote:

OneJC wrote:
http://onejerseycity.org/?p=1363

Comments on the State of the City Address

Finally, the administration is working on long overdue and much needed initiatives.

During Mayor Healy?s State of the City address, we heard good news about moving forward on long-discussed necessary restructuring: merging the Jersey City Incinerator Authority and the Department of Public Works together; combining the Police and Fire Directors? offices into one public safety office; and eliminating the independent Parking Authority, putting it under the public safety umbrella and direct city control.

Daniel Levin


Good news inde.... Wait. What? But none of those things have happened and its almost a year later. What's your point?

Posted on: 2013/1/9 23:59
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/10/12 12:58
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 258
Offline
jajajaja, get off it, you've already admitted that if you can't beat em join em... you dont have to put on a show anymore

Posted on: 2013/1/9 22:12
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#26
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/5 18:29
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 45
Offline
http://onejerseycity.org/?p=1363

Comments on the State of the City Address

Finally, the administration is working on long overdue and much needed initiatives.

During Mayor Healy?s State of the City address, we heard good news about moving forward on long-discussed necessary restructuring: merging the Jersey City Incinerator Authority and the Department of Public Works together; combining the Police and Fire Directors? offices into one public safety office; and eliminating the independent Parking Authority, putting it under the public safety umbrella and direct city control.

A particular area worth commending is this administration?s finally realizing and putting to work the tremendous human resources we have in our communities, starting with the overdue activation of the Environmental Commission and appointing a team of outstanding commissioners, but also its embracing the Jersey City Parks Coalition and working with them on the hugely successful citywide ?Big Dig?. Unmentioned successes are the 4th Street Arts Festival and Bike JC?s citywide Ward Tour, examples of the city?s being supportive (then getting out of the way).

The city?s heightened attention to environmental issues is welcome. However, the city still relies on and sometimes is in opposition to the relentless work of citizen activist groups such as the Interfaith Community Organization and community based GRACO that persevered (after the city?s settlement) to press for and win full chromium clean-up of the PPG site on Garfield Avenue.

While Jersey City has not seen the tremendous tax hikes nor police and fire layoffs experienced by other cities, the administration?s continued claim of stable taxes with no tax increases misrepresents the real increases of 9% (2011) and 23% (2010) of the amount raised by taxes in the municipal budget.

The Mayor was clearly frustrated that despite significant statistical reductions in crime, the perception of high crime remains. This disconnect cannot be ignored.

While the city has clearly moved on progressive initiatives ? be it fiscal, quality of life including entertainment and parks, and economic benefits of sustainability ? there still remains much needed structural and systemic changes to improve governmental decision making and minimize conflicts of interest by providing greater openness and transparency; implementing checks and balances; adopting a stricter ethical standards code with independent enforcement mechanisms; banning campaign contributions in city offices and on city property; and opening up the appointment process to the city?s boards, commissions and authorities.

Are we there yet? No. If we were the world-class city the mayor claims us to be, paving crater-pocked streets would not be touted as an accomplishment. To be such world-class city, we must reduce our over reliance on residential development; embrace best public safety practices from around the country and the world; save and make the Jersey City Museum a pillar of our city; give equal consideration to pedestrians and bicyclists by implementing bike lanes and the sorely needed Complete Streets policy; complete the almost 10 year overdue 311 quality of life issues reporting system; utilize land use policy to ensure adequate educational facilities; and commit to more meaningful sustainability starting with measuring and improving recycling compliance.

Daniel Levin

Posted on: 2013/1/9 21:59
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#25
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/1/22 17:08
Last Login :
2015/5/19 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 52
Offline
I'm sure Sean Connors will be a reliable councilman. Congrats!

Posted on: 2013/1/8 21:45
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/4/15 20:40
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 390
Offline
I'm not sure who "we" is, but my question about the Commission is have you gotten Healy on board with this idea? Where is this idea at?

The Council has no power to create a commission. By law there is a separation of legislative and administrative powers. Only the mayor is legally allowed to form a commission unless it is one that already exists at a state level. Does the State already have a Budget Commission (I could not find one)? If not, has Healy agreed to create one because if this is one of your election promises and you are able to work well with the mayor to institute these reforms, can you get Healy to publicly agree to this so as to get the ball rolling in good faith?

This isn't a challenge to you or your character, just advice. I don't think the Council is as strong as you may think and that power over the municipality is actually concentrated with the mayor and her/his administration in our form of municipal government. Many don't realize this. The council is only able to form a short term investigatory committee with a specific and narrow focus and timeline.

My advice is to not wait until getting elected. Right now, being on the ticket you have the most power to influence these things. Strike now while the iron is hot. My prediction is that Healy is not into any real change, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try since once you become a council person you might find yourself marginalized should Healy win. How bad would it look if he lost you from his ticket now? If Dan is still Dan then don't wait. Either you will get something concrete started or you will see you are just being used.


Quote:

OneJC wrote:
http://onejerseycity.org/?p=868

Cut Costs, Generate Revenue, Protect Services

Failing significant action by local government, we will face unacceptable property tax increases that will destabilize our local economy and the long term health and well-being of our city.

We demand (1) immediate rigorous cost-cutting initiatives that do not reduce services to the Jersey City public and do not have negative long-term financial repercussions; and (2) the establishment of a public budget commission charged with annual budget review and creation/maintenance of a five-year financial master plan.

...

Municipal Budget Commission

A public budget commission should be established. Its members should be from equal parts government, business, and the general public and supported by relevant municipal departments. The commission will perform three primary functions: (1) oversee public review of the budget (2) provide recommendations for the current-year proposed budget and (3) prepare and maintain a five-year financial master plan matching revenues to expenses.

The commission will both review and project revenue streams and analyze and evaluate expenditures. All property tax abatement agreements greater than five years in term will go before the commission for review and recommendation. The commission will also be charged with review and evaluation of the budgets for the semi-autonomous agencies, with the aims of cost control and increasing revenue to the city. An initial commission project will be to study and recommend the need for an independently elected city comptroller.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 16:54
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/11/13 18:42
Last Login :
2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4119
Offline
Political loyality can be added to Dan's Card

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/1/7 14:38
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#22
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/5 18:29
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 45
Offline
http://onejerseycity.org/?p=868

Cut Costs, Generate Revenue, Protect Services

Failing significant action by local government, we will face unacceptable property tax increases that will destabilize our local economy and the long term health and well-being of our city.

We demand (1) immediate rigorous cost-cutting initiatives that do not reduce services to the Jersey City public and do not have negative long-term financial repercussions; and (2) the establishment of a public budget commission charged with annual budget review and creation/maintenance of a five-year financial master plan.

Cost-Cutting Initiatives

Structural initiatives must be identified, studied, and swiftly implemented to permanently reduce the costs of local government. These items should be on the table: management structure, departmental consolidation, labor reductions, shared services, reduced employee benefits (including health, parking, motor vehicle use), and increases in revenue to the city from the semi-autonomous public authorities. Efforts must be initiated to obtain support at the state level for legislation to reform the public safety (fire and police) contract arbitration process and to prepare for increased local contribution for our schools, potentially an additional $125 million.

Municipal Budget Commission

A public budget commission should be established. Its members should be from equal parts government, business, and the general public and supported by relevant municipal departments. The commission will perform three primary functions: (1) oversee public review of the budget (2) provide recommendations for the current-year proposed budget and (3) prepare and maintain a five-year financial master plan matching revenues to expenses.

The commission will both review and project revenue streams and analyze and evaluate expenditures. All property tax abatement agreements greater than five years in term will go before the commission for review and recommendation. The commission will also be charged with review and evaluation of the budgets for the semi-autonomous agencies, with the aims of cost control and increasing revenue to the city. An initial commission project will be to study and recommend the need for an independently elected city comptroller.

Posted on: 2013/1/7 13:32

Edited by OneJC on 2013/1/7 13:58:54
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#21
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/4/23 9:05
Last Login :
2014/5/9 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 34
Offline
Quote:

Althea wrote:

Your only chance of getting real reform passed is if Fulop wins the election so it is odd that you are bringing in votes for Healy who will undermine you at every turn and offer up less legally sound ordinances that are weak both in spirit and legality.

I know the propaganda was to make one ordinance sound more legally grounded, but we all know that the Healy version of the ordinance was not as sound. This will come out and you won't look so good government when it does.



And, it looks like there was some misrepresentation about which of the civic groups even supported the watered down Healy/Dan version. Apparently, not even Dan's own group supported it.

Uh Oh






Posted on: 2013/1/5 17:52
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/4/15 20:40
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 390
Offline
On a serious note Dan, how do you feel about the current administration not supporting the insurance contracting measure?

I don't think people have so much a problem with you as a reformer turned to the dark side just because you are on a ticket for people that will actively seek to undermine any reforms that you put forth. Most think you will ineffectively put forward reforms under an administration that you helped to get elected. I think what is repugnant is that you will be actively seeking votes for Healy to become mayor. That's what is so hard for so many to accept. You are helping the enemy of your enemy. And let's be honest here, you have never liked Fulop. Like Healy, you would have only joined his ticket as a means to an end. It's a rock and a hard place.

Your only chance of getting real reform passed is if Fulop wins the election so it is odd that you are bringing in votes for Healy who will undermine you at every turn and offer up less legally sound ordinances that are weak both in spirit and legality. I know the propaganda was to make one ordinance sound more legally grounded, but we all know that the Healy version of the ordinance was not as sound. This will come out and you won't look so good government when it does.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 14:10
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#19
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/8/5 18:29
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 45
Offline

Best Price Insurance Contracting

http://onejerseycity.org/?p=1413

BEST PRICE INSURANCE CONTRACTING for both Municipal and School District Health, Casualty, and Workers? Compensation Insurance. Model proposal requires greater competition and transparency in the health insurance procurement process. This model also turns the insurance broker relationship into a contract and it would then be covered by our local contracting pay-to-play reform law.

Model ordinance for municipal government ? Model Ordinance for Municipal Government

Model resolution for school boards ? Model Resolution for School Boards

from Citizen Campaign ? http://thecitizenscampaign.org

Posted on: 2013/1/4 12:56
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/9/15 18:45
Last Login :
2021/8/28 3:32
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 170
Offline
Umm, you need to be more sure of your facts. From the "Dan runs with Healy" thread
Quote:

I had/have advised friends and supporters also involved with Team SF that I would be interested and willing to run with him, but like last fall when my request for support/endorsement was rejected, the door on 2013 also has closed.


OMG - Are we now a bunch of Middle School kids? Will Cindy tell Bobby that Jan likes Peter in hopes that Bobby will get the message to Peter and he will ask Jan to be his girlfriend? Really?

I have voted for Dan in the past, but his move to run with Healy because he seemingly didn't get invited to run with Steve Fulop tells me that I can no longer support him.

The impression I get is that Dan thought he was the "logical" choice as the Ward E Council candidate and expected Steve to come begging him to run. Yet it?s no secret amongst those who follow Jersey City politics that Steve and Dan never jelled. Why would Dan think that Steve would come calling? It?s Steve?s team. If Dan thought he should be on that team, knowing the past acrimony between them, shouldn?t Dan have manned up and gone to Steve directly?

The fact that, from what he seems to have posted himself, he chose not to make direct contact reeks of arrogance. ?I?m Dan Levin, reformer extraordinaire, you should come to me.?

So when that didn?t happen, (Wow...wonder why?) it seems Dan chose to again go the Middle School route and show Steve who is boss.

Listen, I am a firm believer in government reform, especially in Jersey City. I also think I?m smart enough and probably have some pretty good ideas on some things we could do. But I?ve also learned that I lack the ability to wade through the bullsh*t of politics. I just don?t have the personality and the patience for it. And what I?m beginning to see is that Dan doesn?t either.

Years ago, when Steve first ran for the Ward E seat, I sat in a HPHA meeting and flat out asked him how he thought that he was ever going to accomplish anything considering he was running against the machine and he would likely be the lone member of a Council that is nothing but the machine. I just didn?t see how he could do it.

Well he has proved me wrong in all the right ways. He seems to have the right personality to let things roll off his back and keep his focus on what?s important. That?s how things get done.

My guess is that Steve might have welcomed Dan on board (This is simply my presumption). But Steve is smart enough to know that you need people who can face whatever is thrown at you without going into temper tantrum mode. If Dan can?t even swallow his pride enough simply reach out to Steve and ask for a meeting, then he probably doesn?t have the temperament needed to bring about the changes he espouses.

Politics is a chaotic business and logic isn?t always at the forefront. Those who succeed in politics are those who don?t get bogged down in ?it?s got to be done my way? thinking. In my opinion, Dan has shown that he isn?t that person and I will not be voting for him again.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 15:56
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/11/17 1:11
Last Login :
1/28 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1182
Offline
What gives you that idea? Just because he worked for a bank in the past? He's fought against the privatized Parking Authority, and I can't think of any instances where he's tried privatizing services, but if you know of any I'd be curious.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 5:22
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#16
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/7/21 15:56
Last Login :
2013/1/7 23:27
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5
Offline
Not that I support Healey but Fulop scares me. He seems like a corporate privatizing carpetbagger. I'm afraid of JC future. Seems like we're damned either way.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 3:02
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/6/8 3:24
Last Login :
5/13 21:54
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1391
Offline
Oh for goodness sake, please no references to oneself in the third person, even just as a headline for the thread.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:41
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/3/30 18:25
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 182
Offline
What the HELL? Glad to see anti-Semitism is alive and well in JCList. [NOT] Guess we know where you stand on the issue.
You know, CdC, I've never read it, but is it true you suck snakes eggs?


Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
If there's any other reason Dan is not on Fulops slate, I'd like to hear it from Fulop. .

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage ... 531F930A35754C0A9639C8B63

Perhaps Fulop didn't want a second Jew on his ticket - just an hypothesis - I've never heard this stated. I'm making an assumption based on Levin's last name and that Healy called him Levine. On the other hand Konstantine was Russian Orthodox.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 20:05
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/11/17 1:11
Last Login :
1/28 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1182
Offline
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
Jcdweller and Jsleeze, are you suggesting that if Dan Levin got a seat on the Council he would not promote good reform but would just rubber stamp everything the Mayor wants, whether the Mayor is Healy or Fulop?
If you are, then that would be the only "sadly, hysterical" premise on this forum discussion.
I think Fulop didn't add Dan to his slate simply because he knew Dan would not be a "rubber stamp" for everything Fulop, or any other Mayor proposes, and Fulop can't handle that, which is also "sadly, hysterical" on Fulops part.
If there's any other reason Dan is not on Fulops slate, I'd like to hear it from Fulop. And the "they don't get along" argument is BS, since Dan is can work with anyone on efforts that would improve JC, including Healy. That has been proven over the last decade.
The problem isn't "Why isn't Dan on Fulop's ticket?" it's "Why is Dan on Healy's ticket?"

Even with your conspiracy theory, that doesn't even get to the root of the problem.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 19:40
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#12
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/2/9 1:47
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 139
Offline
So we are expected to believe what Dan says or writes. Dan who is running on Healy's ticket. Dan who has not really accomplished that much as a community activist. A couple of bike lanes on Grove Street?

Posted on: 2013/1/2 19:32
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#11
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/10/19 1:18
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1578
Offline
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Umm, you need to be more sure of your facts. From the "Dan runs with Healy" thread
Quote:

I had/have advised friends and supporters also involved with Team SF that I would be interested and willing to run with him, but like last fall when my request for support/endorsement was rejected, the door on 2013 also has closed.


I'm quite sure of my facts, Brewster. "advising" friends and supporters is not the same as being direct enough to initiate a conversation with the one person (Fulop) who matters. As someone who Dan has identified as knowing intimately what goes on in the Fulop world, I am telling you that Dan never initiated any such conversation.

"advising friends and supporters" might provide good cover (in Dan's mind) for when people ask "Dan - why the hell are you running with Healy? Weren't you yelling on the steps of city hall that he must resign just a little while ago??" But that is not the same as swallowing a little ego and manning up to ask for that converstation. Never happened.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 19:31
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/11/6 21:13
Last Login :
2021/4/5 17:57
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5559
Offline
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
I think Fulop didn't add Dan to his slate simply because he knew Dan would not be a "rubber stamp" for everything Fulop, or any other Mayor proposes, and Fulop can't handle that, which is also "sadly, hysterical" on Fulops part.


You very well may think all of that - and you are wrong. Dan never expressed an interest in running with Steve. That's not a hypothesis. That is fact.


Umm, you need to be more sure of your facts. From the "Dan runs with Healy" thread
Quote:

I had/have advised friends and supporters also involved with Team SF that I would be interested and willing to run with him, but like last fall when my request for support/endorsement was rejected, the door on 2013 also has closed.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 19:19
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#9
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/2/9 1:47
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 139
Offline
I have witnessed Dan's belligerence towards Steve on several occasions. Dan lacks the people skills that are needed in politics. Perhaps that is why he is not on Steve's ticket. Just a hypothesis.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 19:18
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#8
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/10/19 1:18
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1578
Offline
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
I think Fulop didn't add Dan to his slate simply because he knew Dan would not be a "rubber stamp" for everything Fulop, or any other Mayor proposes, and Fulop can't handle that, which is also "sadly, hysterical" on Fulops part.


You very well may think all of that - and you are wrong. Dan never expressed an interest in running with Steve. That's not a hypothesis. That is fact.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 17:31
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2012/6/14 12:07
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Posts: 836
Offline
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
If there's any other reason Dan is not on Fulops slate, I'd like to hear it from Fulop. .

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage ... 531F930A35754C0A9639C8B63

Perhaps Fulop didn't want a second Jew on his ticket - just an hypothesis - I've never heard this stated. I'm making an assumption based on Levin's last name and that Healy called him Levine. On the other hand Konstantine was Russian Orthodox.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 16:39
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/12/14 21:47
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 291
Offline
I have no doubt that Dan is still a "good government" advocate at heart. And, when Healy and his slate lose in May, which seems to me the odds-on likely result, I have no doubt that Dan will continue to advocate for better government.

But, we got a strong indicator of how Dan will act in "real world" situations at the last council meeting.

He supported a weaker Healy-backed, (CivicJC-backed) pay-to-play reform plan over a stronger plan. He stated a variety of reasons for this, and some of them were reasonable. But, the final result was to support the weaker Healy plan (which was defeated, btw).

I am glad that Dan is still pushing for good government practices, but he will continue to be stuck in a no-win situation as long as he is aligned with a Healy regime that has poorly served its citizens.

No matter what happens in May, we will all need to work hard to make Jersey City a better place.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 15:29
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#5
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/5/31 15:16
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 135
Offline
Jcdweller and Jsleeze, are you suggesting that if Dan Levin got a seat on the Council he would not promote good reform but would just rubber stamp everything the Mayor wants, whether the Mayor is Healy or Fulop?
If you are, then that would be the only "sadly, hysterical" premise on this forum discussion.
I think Fulop didn't add Dan to his slate simply because he knew Dan would not be a "rubber stamp" for everything Fulop, or any other Mayor proposes, and Fulop can't handle that, which is also "sadly, hysterical" on Fulops part.
If there's any other reason Dan is not on Fulops slate, I'd like to hear it from Fulop. And the "they don't get along" argument is BS, since Dan is can work with anyone on efforts that would improve JC, including Healy. That has been proven over the last decade.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 14:26
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2006/12/28 17:08
Last Login :
2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 901
Offline
This is, sadly, hysterical.
I +1 the two comments preceding mine.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 12:45
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/7/17 13:37
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 434
Offline
I agree. If you have any remotely altruistic intentions - running with a corrupt, fraud induced, on-the-take-mayor is not good politics.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 2:00
 Top 


Re: Dan is still Dan
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/8/27 22:16
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 344
Offline
Funny you'd feel the need to convince people you haven't changed, Dan. If you felt so strongly about those three things, why on earth would you run with someone who:

1. Let boards and commissions rot for years - allowing, for instance, the Enviornmental Commission to remain dormant for close to five years by failing to appoint ANYONE to the empty spots on the commission. In addition, very few (far less than 10%) of the people appointed by Healy to boards and commissions come from outside the ranks of city or county employees, or relatives thereof.

2. Resisted the formation of an ethics code for years.

3. Employees business administrators who consistently produce budgets anywhere between seven and ten months late. Who the hell cares what a budget looks like in Baltimore when ours is approved after 3/4 of the money is spent every year.

What you are advocating for is all good - and not original. Many people who have looked at the city budget for years have suggested similar/the same things. That you think teaming with the guy who is 100% opposed to the things you profess to stand for is so odd it defies reasonable explanation. That he will run his campaign and strategize almost entirely without your input is just sad. You shoulda been a contender, Dan. Happy New Year.

Posted on: 2013/1/2 1:56
 Top 




« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 »

  Register To PostTopic is Locked



[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017