Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC Compstat map (?)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not a new member to JC, but I am glad that I now know the official name of the housing on Montgomery Street.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
The fact that this is The unofficial newspaper of Saint Peter's University and each officer asked to remain anonymous, I don't give it much credibility at all.

I don't see why not. A source might be more honest if they are anonymous.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think the reason why most people consider I-78 the border of downtown is because as soon as you go east of the overpass, the architecture and overall feel changes. Coming down the hill on Montgomery Street, you pass ugly housing and strip malls with fried chicken shops, and when you pass the 78 overpass you become immersed in nice looking, historic architecture almost immediately. (With the exception of those small little mud-hut public housing units on the south side of Montgomery Street).

Also, the 78 overpass is just a much more prominent and defining border than say, nondescript Summit Ave.
Since you are now a member of this city it is time you learn what the locals call those "mud-hut public housing units", they are referred to as "New Houses" by most. Besides those buildings aren't as bad as Booker T projects on the other side of them. I doubt you would fell as safe walking through or by those projects during "ungodly hours".

Posted on: 2012/12/28 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, there are swaths of great architecture in every part of JC, but in my opinion only downtown has many blocks of contiguous great historic architecture. Is St Bridgette still a catholic parish?

Posted on: 2012/12/27 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Saying all of JC is not safe after 11 pm is just my opinion. But it really isn?t ?uncommon and rather extreme? . Maybe it?s because I am older and wouldn?t want to break a hip if I got mugged. I would really be screwed not be able to walk to the supermarket for cat food. You stop feeling invincible once you get into your 40?s. Gee just think in my 20?s we used to party in JC?s red zones until 3 am with no fear what so ever. The hood always had the best food and drink.

Tommyc did you ever take a ride into Bergen-Lafayette to look at the architecture? Really beautiful brownstones , townhouses, and houses. Also if you didn?t know the history of DT/Montgomery Street redevelopment I found probably the best description of what DT was like in the 70?s and how Montgomery Street was transformed.

It is on a Saint Bridget?s web site.

http://www.resurrectionparishjc.com/s ... history%20of%20bride.html

Page down to the ?.. Chaos and Destruction in the Parish Area section and start reading. Or read the fascinating history from the top.

?Fires, riots, shoot-outs, and later the promise and the "threat" of urban renewal, pervaded St. Bridget's neighborhood for more than a decade. The old and dilapidated tenement buildings were the main focus of these elements which depleted the spirits of those living in the area. Media reports for instance, indicate that from the early 70's to the early 80?s, there were from 22 to 27 fires in the parish area alone. Ironically, many of these fires happened in the years 1979 and 1980 when urban renewal was at its height.?

Those developments on either side of Montgomery below the old MC were part of the Montgomery Gateway Redevelopment Project.

PS ? watch your back in DT two random stabbings in December.
(your youthful Superman suits won?t stop a knife)

Man's face slashed during robbery in Downtown Jersey City

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... d_in_face_during_rob.html

52-year-old Jersey City man stabbed in chest during robbery

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28250

Posted on: 2012/12/27 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think the reason why most people consider I-78 the border of downtown is because as soon as you go east of the overpass, the architecture and overall feel changes. Coming down the hill on Montgomery Street, you pass ugly housing and strip malls with fried chicken shops, and when you pass the 78 overpass you become immersed in nice looking, historic architecture almost immediately. (With the exception of those small little mud-hut public housing units on the south side of Montgomery Street).

Also, the 78 overpass is just a much more prominent and defining border than say, nondescript Summit Ave.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously, most of downtown is extremely safe at any hour of the night. I have never felt unsafe, even at ungodly hours...but I always keep my head on a swivel because I do know that some things happen.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Neverleft has an uncommon and rather extreme opinion. In the 7.5 years of my living downtown, with lots of walking back and forth from bars and friends' place in the middle of the night, I've never felt unsafe. Nobody in my somewhat large social circle has ever been mugged downtown in all those years. Nevertheless I agree with the unnamed officer that one should exercise caution downtown at night.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
User1111 ?I wouldn?t go anywhere in JC at night say after 11 pm. (and I am 6'9" 300+ lbs) No section of JC is safe at night. Way too much random crap going on. Cars pulling up next to you, etc. I have no problem during the day ?JC is fine.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Tommyc_37 wrote: Quote:
Anybody else confused by this: "As you can see on the map, the high crime areas from the west continues into the east. Other than the area indicated, downtown is good to go".

1) Where is the high crime area from the west continuing into the east? I don't see that indicated in any way...

2) What are the areas indicated when they say, "other than the areas indicated"? I don't see any coloring or markings on the downtown section.

tommyc- if you look at the original link it breaks out the map more and you can blow it up to see street names. http://thepeacockpress.wordpress.com/ ... lice-stay-out-of-the-red/ You DTer?s use the Turnpike as your boundary. The police use Summit Ave as it?s East District boundary. So the question about west continuing east?see the thick black line in the middle of the red west and east zone? That is Summit Avenue the police consider it the ?DT? boundary (east district) . Growing up we all considered anything below the old MC (The Beacon) as downtown.

User1111 ?I wouldn?t go anywhere in JC at night say after 11 pm. (and I am 6'9" 300+ lbs) No section of JC is safe at night. Way too much random crap going on. Cars pulling up next to you, etc. I have no problem during the day ?JC is fine.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

(a.k.a .the don?t go out in JC after the street lights come on , just like your mother used to say..rule)

http://www.njjcpd.org/node/5

My granddad would always say don't go to the colored neighborhoods they will kill you and rape your sister. It does not make it right... I find it funny because SPU sits adjacent to one of the worst blocks in the city (Bergen Ave)

I lived by Lincoln Park and would never, ever walk down Bergen ave after midnight and the school is right there. That's why I find this map silly.

Also I find it hard to believe officers would suggest not going places where they actually live. for example Ward A which is GV has the highest amount of city workers (some of them police men/women and firefighters) than any other ward, which is not mentioned in this unofficial map.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody else confused by this: "As you can see on the map, the high crime areas from the west continues into the east. Other than the area indicated, downtown is good to go".

1) Where is the high crime area from the west continuing into the east? I don't see that indicated in any way...

2) What are the areas indicated when they say, "other than the areas indicated"? I don't see any coloring or markings on the downtown section.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of comments on ?the map??

1- SPU is not a racist school. (see chart below) Also with 50% of it?s students living in school housing I think it was a good idea for someone to put out a map like this. If I was a parent paying over 30+K a year and having my kid live in JC alone I would be happy to know the ?red zone? information.

Degree seeking SPU undergraduate student breakdown:

0.3%-- American Indian or Alaskan Native
10.0%-- Asian, non-Hispanic/Latino
25.9%-- Black or African American, non-Hispanic/Latino
26.7%-- Hispanic/Latino
0.2%-- Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, non-Hispanic/Latino
25.9%-- White, non-Hispanic/Latino
2.2%-- Two or more races non-Hispanic/Latino
3.4%-- Nonresident Alien
5.5%-- Race and/or Ethnicity unknown

2- Like Toonces was saying the police district, ward, and neighborhood mapping of JC has always been confusing. (even for this old-timer) Only because you could never find a decent map of them. Hey JCPD PLEASE put back the four police district boundaries on your web site. They were on the old site and were at least helpful when looking at the 4 districts COMPSTAT crime reports. Or even better just put a simple map like the Peacock site has. (leave out the red zones if you need to be PC)

FYI ? here is yet another map that shows how the JCEDC breaks JC out by neighborhood. The ward map is also in there but this is an older map. http://www.jcedc.org/Pages/01-24neighborhoods.pdf Interesting reading for newcomers.

3- If you read all of the descriptions of the four districts none of them are glowing. So if you live in the red in the South, West, and East don?t feel bad. We all know the crime pockets to avoid in each district. (I have properties in the red too) Notice how they all say safe during the day but precaution should be taken at night. (a.k.a .the don?t go out in JC after the street lights come on , just like your mother used to say..rule)

4- That comment about nothing above the boulevard towards the South being safe has been a JC saying for 40 or more years. The sad thing is it HAS been said for 40 years. Why doesn?t someone do SOMETHING about it!!

November JCPD COMPSTAT report?.city wide 560 reported crimes.

http://www.njjcpd.org/node/5

Posted on: 2012/12/27 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The fact that this is The unofficial newspaper of Saint Peter's University and each officer asked to remain anonymous, I don't give it much credibility at all.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

The unofficial newspaper of Saint Peter's University: The Arts and Enertainment Edition

Police: Stay Out of the Red

BY LINDA GIANG

Jersey City is the second largest city in New Jersey, just behind Newark. As of the 2010 Census, Jersey City has a population of 247,530 people. This vast city runs for 14.9 square miles. A city of this size and population normally come with an equal amount of crime. It is useful for Saint Peter?s students who are not from the area to be aware of places to avoid. In an exclusive interview with several Jersey City Police Officers, who asked to remain anonymous, we got the lowdown on the city?s worst areas as far as crime.

The Department is broken down into four districts, North, South, East, and West.

Let?s start with the North district, which is also known as ?The Heights?.

"The Heights"
?The Heights is generally pretty safe, it?s mostly petty crimes, nothing major?, said a Jersey City police officer. However, he added that there isn?t a distinct ?bad? area, but there are pockets of unsafe streets and intersections. One officer suggests people to be careful by the intersection of Griffith Street and Webster Avenue, as well as Palisades Ave as shaded green on the map. Another place to beware is the area around Pershing Field City Park, and the basketball courts at night.

"The Hill"
Moving on to the West district, also known as ?The Hill?. Unlike the North, more than a third of the West is considered ?high crime? areas. The areas colored in red on the map are those high crime areas that should be avoided at all hours of the day according to JCPD. Saint Peter?s students should pay close attention to the West district map because SPC is in the west and is on the border of all three red areas. ?Areas that aren?t marked are okay during the day, but should be avoided at night because trouble in the not so good areas, go looking for trouble in decent areas?, said a JCPD officer.

"Downtown Jersey City"
Traveling Eastward to the East District is downtown Jersey City. As you can see on the map, the high crime areas from the west continues into the east. ?Other than the area indicated, downtown is good to go, especially areas near the waterfront, Exchange Place, and areas near the Holland tunnel, there are rarely crimes there, other areas are fine during the day, but precaution should be taken at night,? said a JCPO.

"Greenville"
Lastly, the South District is known as ?Greenville?. Several officers have agreed that the South is the most unsafe district of the city. The area shaded green are not residential areas, they are industrial parks, Army Reserve Center, Recreational Facilities, etc. As shown on the map, more than half of the South is considered high crime.

?Anything east of Kennedy Blvd. is bad news, that goes for the west as well?, said a JCPO. Like other unmarked areas in the city, the unmarked neighborhoods in the south are safe during the day, but walking at night should be avoided.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
My impressions from living in Jersey City for 8.5 years pretty much exactly match the maps and the anonymous police quotes on that blog post. I'm gonna bookmark that, and from now on whenever we get one of those "is this area ok?" posts, I'll refer the person to that.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Like I was saying I don't know why the new JCPD site took out the 4 district exact boundary descriptions. It took a while but I found a JCPD district map. In all places an unofficial Saint Peter?s College..err..University newspaper. The Peacock Press http://thepeacockpress.wordpress.com/ Great idea warning students about area?s in JC to avoid?.the red zones!!!!!

(click on each picture for a full view so you can see the street names)

BY LINDA GIANG

Jersey City is the second largest city in New Jersey, just behind Newark. As of the 2010 Census, Jersey City has a population of 247,530 people. This vast city runs for 14.9 square miles. A city of this size and population normally come with an equal amount of crime. It is useful for Saint Peter?s students who are not from the area to be aware of places to avoid. In an exclusive interview with several Jersey City Police Officers, who asked to remain anonymous, we got the lowdown on the city?s worst areas as far as crime.

http://thepeacockpress.wordpress.com/ ... lice-stay-out-of-the-red/

Posted on: 2012/12/27 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
?Anything east of Kennedy Blvd. is bad news, that goes for the west as well?, said a JCPO

hah.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
That's really handy, Neverleft - thank you! Considering the town has 6 wards, but Compstat reports crimes in the city divided into 4, I found it very confusing. That hand-drawn map is really helpful.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tyler wrote:
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Like I was saying I don't know why the new JCPD site took out the 4 district exact boundary descriptions. It took a while but I found a JCPD district map. In all places an unofficial Saint Peter?s College..err..University newspaper. The Peacock Press http://thepeacockpress.wordpress.com/ Great idea warning students about area?s in JC to avoid?.the red zones!!!!!

BY LINDA GIANG

HAHA!!! This is the most racist crap I've heard, why not call it the black zone HA!!

Could you elaborate on where it is racist I just don't see it. Is it the thread you are replying on or the Wordpress blog ?

Posted on: 2012/12/27 1:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

BY LINDA GIANG

HAHA!!! This is the most racist crap I've heard, why not call it the black zone HA!!

Posted on: 2012/12/27 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

(click on each picture for a full view so you can see the street names)

BY LINDA GIANG

Posted on: 2012/12/27 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
The old JCPD site had each district broken out separately with a nice description of their exact boundaries and places of interest (schools, parks, shopping,etc) in each. But it is gone now. Why???

This is how I recall districts break out?North = Heights, South = Greenville, East = Downtown, West = Communipaw/JSq

And you can see the location under? http://www.njjcpd.org/node/8

Offices
Headquarters

1 Journal Square Plaza
Jersey City, NJ 07306
Phone:(201) 547-5477
Fax:(201) 547-4913

Jersey City Police Headquarters is within close walking distance of the Journal Square PATH Station. This facility contains many units that are vital to the operation of the department.

Located on the first floor are the Record Room, the Gun Permits Unit, the Police Fiscal Unit, the Medical Unit, Special Investigations, and Internal Affairs.

The second floor contains the offices of the Police Chief and Police Director as well as the Police Planning Unit.

Police Chief

Phone: (201) 547-5301
Fax: (201) 547-4913
policechief@njjcps.org

East District

207 7th Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Phone: (201)547-5408
Fax: (201)547-5075
policeeast@njjcps.org
crteast@njjcps.org

The East District, commanded by Captain Joseph Connors, is populated by approximately 60,000 residents and 40,000 day-time workers who commute daily.

North District

282 Central Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07307
Phone: (201)547-5350
Fax: (201)547-5073
policenorth@njjcps.org
crtnorth@njjcps.org

The North District, commanded by Captain Phil Zacche, is populated by approximately 60,000 residents and over 100,000 commuters daily.

South District

191 Bergen Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Phone: (201)547-5456
Fax: (201)547-5079
policesouth@njjcps.org
crtsouth@njjcps.org

The South District, commanded by Captain Charles Nierstedt, is populated by approximately 55,000 residents and is approximately 5 square miles.

West District

576 Communipaw Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07304
Phone: (201)547-5450
Fax: (201)547-5077
policewest@njjcps.org
crtwest@njjcps.org

The West District, commanded by Captain Mark Hussey, is populated by approximately 50,000+ residents.

Posted on: 2012/12/26 22:54

JC Compstat map (?)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
I know that every year, the NY Times does a map that indicates at least all of the homicides that happened in the city during the past year. Does anyone know if there's a similar study done for Jersey City?

Looking over the JC Compstat numbers on their site, the one question I'm wondering is what exactly are the mapped out areas that the JCPD considers North, South, East, and West...? Is there a similar crime tracking study done based on our wards? I'd say that most are easy to correlate to the N-S-E-W compstat reports, but I'm actually most curious about Journal Square, which is more or less "central" to all the others.

Posted on: 2012/12/26 22:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017