Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
144 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Head of teachers union refuses to sign race to the top application
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users
And I agree; it is a money pit with unimaginable wast and corruption, and unaccountability. However, teachers are NOT to blame, we are not the recipients, we're the victims, even more so than the average taxpayer because we pay the high taxes too. The city and state spend millions on "reform" and middle managment as way too little trickles down into the classroom. I can't believe people aren't storming city hall.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 11:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Exaaaactly. These loudest complainers wouildn't last a day in a difficult school. If teaching is such an awesome gig come on in; door is always open. Let's see what you got.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 11:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I believe teachers should be paid more, and they should get more respect.

I believe the union is, overall, useful for helping raise pay and working conditions for teachers.

But... what we need to see more of is a collaborative relationship between the union, the board of ed, and the school administration. Perhaps this is happening quietly behind the scenes (which would be fine, as long as it is happening).

What we do not need any more of is a confrontational relationship.

And, teachers need to be held accountable for who they elect to union leadership positions. It is really simple -- I will defend the union for fighting for teachers pay and status. But, I will not defend them for obstructing progress in improving our schools.

In this specific case, it sounds like both sides (the administration and the union) seem to acknowledge that they could have done a better job at collaborating.

Let's see if they can work out their differences for the benefit of our children.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 22:11
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
What most middle class people see is an educational money pit: they are paying more and more into an education system that seems to deliver less and less every year, while the middle class themselves are earning less and less. That's not sustainable. The average Joe in the private sector, with the same experience and qualifications, perceives teacher benefits such as fixed hours, tenure and pensions as "perks".

Teacher unions have a right to argue for their members. But they need to realize there is not a bottomless honeypot to feed off, and with the middle classes generally getting squeezed, the honeypot is getting smaller.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know enough about the education system and teacher contracts to know if they are over paid, under paid or something in the middle. What I do know is that none of the people bitching about their pay and the teacher's union seem to be racing out to become teachers. Given that it would seem that the likelihood of them being vastly overpaid is pretty slim.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 16:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Would you sign a contract that extended your day, week, and working year and threatened what little job security you have? What many fail to understand is that teachers accumulated their credentials and chose this career to educate YOUR children. They don't get rich doing it either; on the contrary actually. Why is it that in difficult economic times we attack civil servants who barely earn enough to survive. Why doesn't anyone go after the corrupt, criminal bankers who continue to do business with mexican drug cartels and known terrorists (see HSBC current events, or Chase's recent billion dollar losses with our tax dollars, or Wells Fargo, also found guilty of money laundering). Stop attacking teachers, they're on your side. They wouldn't have chose this profession if they didn't love working with your children, some teachers even die protecting them. If you want an explanation of where you money is going, I suggest you open the Business section of the NY Times any day of the week and read all about the non-stop Wall Street corruption that you choose to ignore or pretend not to notice. And don't pretend that Wall Street has nothing to do with Main Street. There would be no ecnomic crisis if we punished corruption and taxed the rich fairly. The rich are laughing at us.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 3:06

Edited by cousin on 2012/12/19 3:24:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Once again Teachers Unions looking out for THEIR jobs over our kids. And JC tax payers will be hit AGAIN. LIKE EVERY YEAR.

We need major education reform in New Jersey. I went to that show and tell hosted by the NJEA at City Hall a while back on how they want to reform... and that whole process is a joke to delay and stall any real reform.

FG

Posted on: 2012/12/19 0:00

Head of teachers union refuses to sign race to the top application
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Head of teachers union refuses to sign race to the top application, says its a contract: report

By The Jersey Journal
December 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Jersey City Educational Association head, Ronald Greco, was supposed to sign the district's application for the $40 million Race to the Top grants,but ultimately did not, saying the application read more like a contract, NJ Spotlight reported.

The application asked for new administrative positions, longer school days and financial incentives for schools and teachers, the article stated.

Greco, who ultimately refused to sign, posted his reasoning on the teachers union's website on November 9.

"The grant would be our new contract. It has spelled out extended day, extended week, and extended year. These are negotiable terms," Greco wrote on the website. "Now you know why I couldn't sign."

NJ Spotlight reported that Greco's refusal to submit the application "might signal that Jersey City schoolteachers might not be so accommodating to state demands."

Contract negotiations beginning this month with a new superintendent and "newly empowered" board of education, will be taking place during the mayoral campaign race in Jersey City, the article stated.

Incumbent Jerramiah Healy has support from the teachers union and city councilman Steven Fulop who supports charter schools and tenure reform are the two contenders for the spot.

To read the full report
http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/12 ... chers-and-administrators/

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... refuses.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2012/12/18 23:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact