Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 42-story residential tower on tap for Journal Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

Whether you are for it or against it this does seem like a good investment.

I wish, i had the money to buy into it. :(

Posted on: 2013/1/5 8:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Oh they are smart. They've probably all gotten a few free dinners/tickets to sporting events/a few afternoons of golf, ontop of campaign contributions. All the while they're not going to be affected personally by any of this development. If you think they care about the people of JSQ, you better wake up and start going to Planning Board meetings where you have the opportunity to grill them infront of a live audience from your neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/1/5 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
There'll be no crumbling of any infastructure. The builders have to make upgrades to it or their buildings won't have water/sewer services. That being said, where is our money for our air rights? Thanks to the wisdom of the Planning Board, we're going to have massive traffic jambs on streets that were laid down for horse and buggy travel and we never got paid for our air rights. The Planning Board gave it away. Thanks JC Planning Board! And they gave our air rights to developers who don't have to pay federal income tax on their profits because they're building near a transportation center. Oh, and the City thinks it's a good idea to give them tax abatements on our local level, too. How smart are they??

Posted on: 2013/1/5 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
What's that sound? Its the sound of forlorn infrastructure crumbling at Journal Square for another year.

Posted on: 2012/12/7 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Does it flood a lot in Journal Sqaure? I can understand at the base of the Heights. Maybe the developers should be required to pay into a fund to build giant holding tanks/pumping stations

Posted on: 2012/12/7 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
wow. by the end of 2013. thats' more than a year ago. why not within 6 months.

Posted on: 2012/12/7 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City panel approves three-tower Journal Square development

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
December 06, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Resized ImageThree residential towers containing nearly 2,000 units may soon call Journal Square home, with the Jersey City Planning Board this week approving a plan that city officials hope will jumpstart development in the heart of the city.

The towers would sit adjacent to the Journal Square PATH station, just west of Summit Avenue, and the project includes a public plaza connecting Summit to the transportation hub.

Developers KRE Group are behind the project, and the company hopes to begin construction by the end of 2013.

"KRE are proven developers in Jersey City with successful projects such as 225 Marin," said city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill. "It is classic example of transit-oriented development with density located next to mass transit."

The three towers are just one of a number of possibly transformative developments planned for Journal Square, including a two-tower project long planned for the lot just south of the PATH station and across the street from The Jersey Journal office.

Another possible project is a residential tower planned for a lot near the old Summit House, one that could reach up to 42 stories, though a city official recently called that development a ?pipe dream.?

Journal Square?s Hilltop Neighborhood Association is against the scope of the KRE towers, according to its president, Rich Boggiano. Boggiano said he is pro-development, but 70-story towers would tower over homes in the neighborhood.

?Nobody in this city listens to the neighborhood. Nobody listens to the people of Jersey City,? he said.

The first phase of the project would be a 54-story tower with 540 units, followed by a 70-story structure containing 700 units. The third tower would have 60 stories and 600 units. Each tower would have a retail or restaurant component.

The Hilltop group believes the project will increase traffic problems in Journal Square and put strain on the local sewer system and local schools.

City officials have said the project is ideal for the site, since its proximity to the PATH station will attract residents who don?t have cars.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_panel_approves_thr.html

Posted on: 2012/12/7 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:

PATH staff (and JC planning) have repeatedly touted these two improvements as each one increasing capacity 20%. add some type of peak pricing and they believe they can accommodate increased density at not just Journal Square (I believe the planned if/when built out plan adds 60,000 residents before this latest bump), but also Harrison and Newark.

the arguments is that the development will pay for infrastructure, development of parks etc. however, I remained concerned that residential development adds costs of services and will not alone pay for it.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

1. New signal system will increase train frequency.
2. Platform extensions on the WTC-NWK Line will allow for 10 car trains.

The development won't add these people all at once. Even a building of 1,000 units doesn't just swing open their doors; residents arrive over a period of a year or more, and probably more typically over a period of two years.

Not all those people will ride the PATH into the city, or at the same time. And people will adjust.

I would agree that eventually in the long term, a third set of tunnels connecting New York and Hudson county will probably be necessary to sustain growth, but that is years away from being necessary.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"the arguments is that the development will pay for infrastructure, development of parks etc."

Lol. Tell that to anyone who has lived in the city for the past ten years or more and pays property taxes. The politicians ALWAYS claim that the new developments ("ratables") will bring in revenue that will ease the tax burden, but we now have solid evidence that this is a bunch of bullsh*t. Taxes have only gone up for long-time residents over the past few years as more and more developers have gotten MASSIVE handouts in the form of long-term tax abatements, while the addition of the ratables has required extensive infrastructure investments by the city. paid for not by the new developments, but by long-time residents.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I tell you, I'm skeptical that these improvements to the PATH are going to be enough or are even realistic, but at least they've thought it through to some degree or another.

Anybody know exactly what tax abatement they've managed to bully the city into?

Quote:

DanL wrote:

PATH staff (and JC planning) have repeatedly touted these two improvements as each one increasing capacity 20%. add some type of peak pricing and they believe they can accommodate increased density at not just Journal Square (I believe the planned if/when built out plan adds 60,000 residents before this latest bump), but also Harrison and Newark.

the arguments is that the development will pay for infrastructure, development of parks etc. however, I remained concerned that residential development adds costs of services and will not alone pay for it.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/11/30 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/11/30 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Add two more to your list:

Some more well-off people on the waterfront may migrate to the ferry as the PATH becomes more crowded, taking some load off it the system.

[Long Shot] Expanding the HBLR further down the abandoned freight right of way, bringing it to JSQ for people commuting to Exchange Place, etc. Yes, I know this would require some major track work re-alignment.. like I said.. long shot.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
You know, if this helps revitalize Journal Square and the city gets a new park out of it, I'm all for it, but I'm going to restate what was apparently stated at last night's council meeting (I wasn't there so it's only hearsay) - how will the PATH trains handle all these additional riders? The JSQ-33rd street train (before the hurricanes) already pretty much fills up at Journal Square where it starts and then it's standing room only the rest of the way. Standing on the train all the way to work is one thing but having to fight your way on every day and being a little too close for comfort to other riders (as we're enduring right now with the reduced service from the hurricane) is quite another. Even if the developer or city were willing to do anything about it, I don't see what they could do - it doesn't seem physically possible to increase the capacity of the PATH system (I'm not an engineer though).

Also, the council members and city talk about this increasing the city's tax base, but I'm certain this developer has or will bully the city into some kind of abatement, like so many other high-end developers have done.

I can only hope that by the time this project is done, I am either moved out of Jersey City OR have become wealthy enough to afford the ferry every day (which, since it comes at 1/2 hour intervals, would be less convenient anyway).

Posted on: 2012/11/29 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
You know, if this helps revitalize Journal Square and the city gets a new park out of it, I'm all for it, but I'm going to restate what was apparently stated at last night's council meeting (I wasn't there so it's only hearsay) - how will the PATH trains handle all these additional riders? The JSQ-33rd street train (before the hurricanes) already pretty much fills up at Journal Square where it starts and then it's standing room only the rest of the way. Standing on the train all the way to work is one thing but having to fight your way on every day and being a little too close for comfort to other riders (as we're enduring right now with the reduced service from the hurricane) is quite another. Even if the developer or city were willing to do anything about it, I don't see what they could do - it doesn't seem physically possible to increase the capacity of the PATH system (I'm not an engineer though).

Also, the council members and city talk about this increasing the city's tax base, but I'm certain this developer has or will bully the city into some kind of abatement, like so many other high-end developers have done.

I can only hope that by the time this project is done, I am either moved out of Jersey City OR have become wealthy enough to afford the ferry every day (which, since it comes at 1/2 hour intervals, would be less convenient anyway).

Posted on: 2012/11/29 18:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/4 0:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Plans for the future of this area are of little concern to people like me that have to look at the shockingly deteriorated PATH plaza area every day. Shame on every elected official that has any decision making authority for this part of town. Presumably taxes are paid here, so where is the revenue going? Certainly it isn't going into any sort of maintenance here. How is it possible the city could ignore this place for as long as they have? Couldn't they just spend a little money on trash removal? Couldn't a bit of attention be spared for the appearance of what is here right now, and not spending all their time imagining how it COULD look ten years from now? I understand there WERE plans for construction to have taken place and this construction was placed on hold. But YEARS have past since then and NOTHING has happened in this area this whole time. where is the plan for what is here RIGHT NOW?

Aren't unions great?

Wonder Bread or Twinkies anyone...?

Posted on: 2012/11/29 17:52
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Plans for the future of this area are of little concern to people like me that have to look at the shockingly deteriorated PATH plaza area every day. Shame on every elected official that has any decision making authority for this part of town. Presumably taxes are paid here, so where is the revenue going? Certainly it isn't going into any sort of maintenance here. How is it possible the city could ignore this place for as long as they have? Couldn't they just spend a little money on trash removal? Couldn't a bit of attention be spared for the appearance of what is here right now, and not spending all their time imagining how it COULD look ten years from now? I understand there WERE plans for construction to have taken place and this construction was placed on hold. But YEARS have past since then and NOTHING has happened in this area this whole time. where is the plan for what is here RIGHT NOW?

Posted on: 2012/11/29 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see why the Hilltop Association is so concerned. Anything of this scale is AT LEAST 5-10 years away from breaking ground in JSQ. Have they even broken ground on any of those new towers downtown that were supposed to break ground this year? I don't think so (Marbella II, that massive Harborside tower, 110 First, the Toll Brothers tower)

Posted on: 2012/11/29 5:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/11/29 5:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Let's get on with it. Has anyone seen the picture of the house in China that is completely surrounded by highway because the owners did not want to sell. LOL!

Posted on: 2012/11/29 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Changes permitting 42-story tower in Journal Square approved by Jersey City City Council

on November 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Amendments to a Jersey City redevelopment plan that will permit a controversial 42-story tower in a Journal Square neighborhood were approved by the City Council tonight over the objections of a neighborhood group.

The amendments are the result of a legal settlement between the city and the owner of a property that runs along Summit Avenue across the street from the Journal Square PATH station.

City officials praised the deal, saying the property is the logical spot for a high-density residential tower. Officials also noted that the city will receive a nearly one-acre lot from the property's owner that the city plans to use as a public park.

?Journal Square is the heart of the city,? said Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez, who voted in favor of the amendments. ?I think we need to bring Journal Square back and I think projects like this are what?s going to bring it back.?

Lopez was joined by council members Peter Brennan, Bill Gaughan, Viola Richardson and Michael Sottolano in favor of the changes to the Journal Square Redevelopment Plan.

David Donnelly, Steve Fulop and Rolando Lavarro voted against, while new council member Diane Coleman abstained.

Rich Boggiano, representing Journal Square community group the Hilltop Neighborhood Association, voiced his objections, saying the group?s members are opposed to having a 440-foot tower in their neighborhood.

?It?s going to put them in a shadow,? he said.

Boggiano used an expletive to describe the council?s action, and blamed ?politics? on the city?s decision to settle with Robinhood Plaza, the property?s owner, rather than fight Robinhood in court.

?We?ve got lawyers who are afraid to go to court,? he said.

Robinhood Plaza sued the city after the 2010 Journal Square Redevelopment Plan was adopted, claiming the plan left the owner with "no development potential" for its Summit Avenue property.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rmitting_42-story_to.html

Posted on: 2012/11/29 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
If the tower is inside the 2060 Plan, there's supposed to be air rights involved. This means the developer has to pay surrounding property owners for each foot of airspace he uses to build higher than originally allowed. Isn't anyone negotiating this? The developer doesn't have to pay income taxes on his profits due to a tax break for developing near public transportation which means he has some pretty deep pockets to pick.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 3:15

Re: Signs of life at JScare? 42-story residential tower on tap for Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Garfield0926 wrote:
They're struggling to put 2 towers and now they're talking about tower 3. Bunch of jerk offs.

Different project, different lot.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 14:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/26 19:21
Group:
Registered Users
They're struggling to put 2 towers and now they're talking about tower 3. Bunch of jerk offs.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Plan would put 3 towers next to Jersey City's Journal Square PATH

August 16, 2012, 2:20 PM

Journal Square could soon be home to Jersey City?s largest buildings, with the developers behind some Downtown developments hoping to break ground next year on three residential/office towers that could reach up to 75 stories and contain as many as 1,800 units.

Though members of the surrounding neighborhood are reportedly nervous about the size of the towers, developers KRE Group say they will be a dream for commuters because of a planned, direct connection to the PATH station.

?You wouldn?t even have to be exposed to the elements,? said KRE?s Jeff Persky last week in the group?s Marin Boulevard office, where there?s a model of the three towers.

The towers will be located just north of the public drop-off for the PATH station in the area of Magnolia and Summit avenues. The drop-off area will remain, and KRE is working with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to renovate that end of Magnolia to become a pedestrian plaza.

KRE will also renovate access to the PATH station on that side, replacing the current steps and ramps.

Persky said the group hopes to put a shovel in the ground by the end of 2013 on the first tower, which would contain 500 residential units along with retail on the ground floor. All three towers would likely house about 1,800 units total, he said.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said the city is ?looking forward? to the groundbreaking, noting that a project of this density makes sense for Journal Square, where PATH ridership is fourth-highest in the area.

?It will create much-needed construction and permanent jobs, as well as ratables, in an area that is poised for a renaissance,? Morrill said.

The project is just one of at least three possibly transformative developments planned for Journal Square. Washington, D.C.-based Multi-Employer Property Trust plans two towers for the lot just south of the PATH station a long-delayed project that city officials fear may never happen while developer Robinhood Plaza wants to construct a residential tower as high as 42 stories on a lot across Summit Avenue from the planned KRE towers.

A city official called that project ?a pipe dream,? adding that the KRE plan is the city?s ?best shot at jump-starting the Square.?

Local activist Althea Bernheim said the KRE plan is causing some ?nervousness? in the neighborhood, but added that similar towers in Downtown have ?created better neighborhoods.?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _put_3_towers_next_t.html

Posted on: 2012/8/16 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
PS - There will be plenty of open park like space if the rail road cut is indeed ever covered over as the 2060 plan says. (ok it?s a long shot I know) Check out the Pedestrian Plaza in green bars on the last page of the below .pdf it runs above the rail road tracks from Tonnele Ave to hmmm ?Baldwin Ave right next to the ?new public park?.

The Journal Square 2060 Plan .pdf is on this Jersey City Division of City Planning page?

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/hedc.aspx?id=1170

under ?.

Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment Plan

(the .pdf url was too long to post directly)

Posted on: 2012/8/6 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Although I was excited to hear the news of SOMETHING happening up JScare after thinking about it and seeing some of the posts on this thread..I agree with DanL the city should stick to the original Journal Square 2060 plan it makes sense. (not much does in this city when it comes to development..or other things) It left the taller (high-rise, high-density) buildings for the CORE of Journal Square the BIG ugly empty lot area next to Path. BTW forget about this 42 story project when are you going to go after the owners of the BIG ugly empty lot???????

Also if passed the city is opening itself up to 100?s of lawsuits for the ?right to build higher?. You let him do it so you have got to let me do it. FYI - when I am ready to build on my lot you can expect a lawsuit from me. Hey I will even throw in a sloping plot of land next to a rail road that can be turned into a park with someone else?s money. Hey it will make my property more valuable and help me sell more units.

The below invitation is on the front page of the JC web site. (btw great you have this on the front page of the web site but NOTHING about when our 3rd quarter taxes will be mailed out or due) . I especially don?t like the last line of Healy?s ?invitation? what a bummer. Add a stipulation that if it is passed the CURRENT owner (long list of corporations with same mailing address) must build, not flip!

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/

Mark The Date! City To Speak At Hilltop Neighborhood Association On Robinhood Plaza Settlement on Monday, 8/6!

City Planning officials will be speaking at 7:00 p.m. on Monday, August 6th, at the Hilltop Neigh- borhood Association Meeting, St. Joseph?s Church basement, at Baldwin and Pavonia avenues.

Up for discussion will be the pro- posed legal settlement between Robinhood Plaza Inc. and the City, which includes an amendment to the Journal Square 2060 Redevelop- ment Plan permitting high-rise construction on Summit Avenue across from the Journal Square PATH station.

?I encourage everyone who can do so to attend Monday?s meeting,? said Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy. ?The proposed settlement will have an impact not just on everyone who lives in the Hilltop section of the city, but on Jersey City itself. I thank the Hilltop Neighborhood Association for inviting us to speak about the proposed improvements.?

The proposed settlement also includes the private dedication of nearly an acre of land to the City for use as a new public park, a public plaza adjacent to the Historic Summit House, a public walkway,
as well as a reduction in the current building height adjacent to nearby homes. There is no proposed construction project for the site at this time.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of people say that and have been saying it for many decades.

KRE, the owner of the lot on the east side of the Square (bound by Pavonia, Summit and Magnolia avenues) will be submitting a site plan to the Planning Board in the next few months. They will be starting work with a shovel in the ground in fall 2013.

So development is starting, just not on the Harwood site where we were told development would start within a year... umm 3 or 4 years ago?

Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
I'm all for development in JSQ, lord knows this neighborhood needs a boost, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 11:25
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
The red shaded area, up to 42 stories allowed, is up against one 2 story home. Actually there are two 2-story homes right there (9 & 11 West Street). Both of these homes are in a horrible state of disrepair and they are both owned by the same owner that this settlement is with, Avner Netter.

The hope is that he will take those two eyesores down.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 11:04
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for development in JSQ, lord knows this neighborhood needs a boost, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Didnt they say in the JJ article that they dont want to build a 42 story building directly adjacent to a house? Looking at this map makes it seem like thats exactly what theyre doing. Its going to look real odd.

"Wenger noted that the proposed zoning changes include graduated height requirements, with the tower being the tallest building in the neighborhood and surrounding buildings getting smaller and smaller.

"It's not going to be 42 stories right up against somebody's house," he said."

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/15520493 ... lement%20illustration.pdf

Posted on: 2012/7/30 11:58

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact