Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 15 »

Re: OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO LIBERTY STATE PARK!!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/30 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
The objections from JC bike and friends of liberty state park were that they could not endorse one concept / architect / contractor. As I mentioned we offered our service gratis. Any other contractor / architect could have offered the same service but they didn't. We offered to help to get this rebuilt as soon as possible not in two years +.
We were never invited to present this to either organization. We only got to meet with one representative from each. Based on that i actually don't believe it is the opinion of the entire group but the opinion of the specific representative.
The design proposed will allow the bridge to be build quickly. It also would allow the bridge to be relocated if and when the roadway project takes place.
As far as who jc parks department owning the bridge. We have met with people from lsp and jc engineering. It is a city owner project.
What we need now is overall community support. The more people that sign on to this concept the better. If someone knows how to generate an online form we can try to get as many signatures as possible to show the city how many people support this plan.
In my opinion its the only hope of getting a bridge soon

Posted on: 2013/1/12 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I am not sure why/where you have drawn your conclusions from unless frustration with the/a process or you expect these groups to pick up and build the bridge.

there is a 12/18 email from a local public engineer that you appear to be copied on that thoroughly outlines what needs to happen.

Bike JC and the Friends of Liberty State Park from what I have seen support the rebuilding project.

the issues I saw is that if can get $$$, it is assigned to this project and that construction is not tied to the complete streets plan and remains in the scope of disaster relief.

the city has some work to do and the public can show its desires and support to the city council and mayor, to all members, equally and respectfully.

Quote:

Daveslurz wrote:
The jersey ave footbridge is near and dear to me and my family as well. So much so that I decided to spearhead a volunteer project to rebuild the pedestrian footbridge in the beginning of November 2012 . I am a local general contractor and I partnered up with a wonderful architect. We both have offered to volunteer our professional services in order to make this foot bridge replacement happen as soon as possible.
We thought the best approach was to work with other local based community groups and form one large group. Unfortunately we met with much resistance from representative from JC Bike and Friends of Liberty State Park. To be perfectly honest I am shocked. We offered our professional services gratis and we were told that they could not support one contractor and they would rather insist that the city rebuild this bridge by sending it out to bid with the big companies. I for one think it is silly to insist the city do anything. Why not take two professionals that are offering their services, and support them so we can get a replacement bridge ASAP

http://www.scribd.com/doc/120013921?s ... sword=ka0v6rzhjy0j8fjae4f

Above is a link to the PDF of what we have proposed. We have quotes from vendors and believe we can make this happen at a reasonable cost. We need the community to support us. If we have enough people behind us we can goto the city and ask them to support this project.

If we wait for the city to rebuild this, who knows if and when that will happen. If however we goto the city and show them how it can be rebuilt cost effectively with a wonderful meaningful design and ask them to support the idea then maybe we can get this rebuilt soon.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
what were the objections from Friends of LSP and JC Bike?

It will be years if the city has anything to do with it.

I suspect it has something to do with maintaining non-profit status - they probably can't be seen as endorsing a particular business entity. There probably is a way for the contractor and architect to donate their services, but the best bet is to approach whoever administers the park. Isn't that the state parks division?

Posted on: 2013/1/12 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
what were the objections from Friends of LSP and JC Bike?

It will be years if the city has anything to do with it.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 13:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/30 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
The jersey ave footbridge is near and dear to me and my family as well. So much so that I decided to spearhead a volunteer project to rebuild the pedestrian footbridge in the beginning of November 2012 . I am a local general contractor and I partnered up with a wonderful architect. We both have offered to volunteer our professional services in order to make this foot bridge replacement happen as soon as possible.
We thought the best approach was to work with other local based community groups and form one large group. Unfortunately we met with much resistance from representative from JC Bike and Friends of Liberty State Park. To be perfectly honest I am shocked. We offered our professional services gratis and we were told that they could not support one contractor and they would rather insist that the city rebuild this bridge by sending it out to bid with the big companies. I for one think it is silly to insist the city do anything. Why not take two professionals that are offering their services, and support them so we can get a replacement bridge ASAP

http://www.scribd.com/doc/120013921?s ... sword=ka0v6rzhjy0j8fjae4f

Above is a link to the PDF of what we have proposed. We have quotes from vendors and believe we can make this happen at a reasonable cost. We need the community to support us. If we have enough people behind us we can goto the city and ask them to support this project.

If we wait for the city to rebuild this, who knows if and when that will happen. If however we goto the city and show them how it can be rebuilt cost effectively with a wonderful meaningful design and ask them to support the idea then maybe we can get this rebuilt soon.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I can appreciate the feeling, I tried to see if I could park for a run the other night and there was no way to get to one of the parkings. On the access though, if coming from Jersey Ave, you can take a right just before the bridge and sort of loop around the canal to connect to the road leading to the terminal. It doesn't add much in terms of distance, but I would not do this at night because it is a little isolated. Part of LSP is opened while they work on the walkways.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 23:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 15:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I am one of the many who terribly misses my park. I fear that it will not even be back by springtime. My husband and I affectionately called the footbridge "gag bridge."

According to someone at Friends of Liberty State Park there seems to be a lot of bureaucratic indecision on what should be done. I plan to write the mayor, governor and our representatives. Before sending my letters, I will figure out someway to post it so that all who want to join in my letter or send their own can do so. I think we need to organize and fight for what we want. If we just sit by and wait, it will take 2 years. (I was told that is how long a jersey avenue extension will take). I propose something like http://www.acrowusa.com/Bridges/RequestQuote.aspx in the interim.

Please let me know if you are interested in helping me organize concerned citizens and if you have any ideas for doing so.

Allison

Posted on: 2013/1/11 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
No worries. I think a lot of us hope the footbridge is back soon too. I am ambivalent about the car bridge, but it sure beats nothing.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 15:27

Re: Liberty State Park Pedestrian Bridge

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/1 16:36
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, new to jclist and still finding my way around. Happy to see there is so much information here. Hope the bridge is restored soon.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 15:06

Re: Liberty State Park Pedestrian Bridge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Guess you haven't been getting your daily dose of JC List info! Yes, the footbridge was destroyed by Sandy. There are plans under way to build a road connecting Jersey Ave. and the park, with ped/bike access as well. In the meantime, there also seems to be a plan to rebuild a temporary footbridge. I don't think anyone on here knows the timetable but somebody did see a crew there clearing trees and brush.

For now, for runners and mountain-bikers, there is a route from Jersey Ave to the park via Aetna street as described twice below in this thread. It is sketchy and you might have to go around a large puddle if it has rained, but it's shorter than going up Pacific. On the downside, most of the southern part of the park is closed anyway.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 19:41

Liberty State Park Pedestrian Bridge

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/1 16:36
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Guys,

Went out running after months and noticed that the pedestrian bridge that connects Jersey Ave to Liberty State park is broken. Does anyone know if Ms Sandy is to blame and when will it be restored.

Also, I remember some rumors about a paved road extending Jersey Ave all the way into Liberty State Park. That would just be fabulous. Wonder if that's what they're actually working on.

Cheers!

Posted on: 2013/1/10 18:10

Re: LSP Stinky Bridge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jo3_13 wrote:
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
There's another way through for runners even without the stinky bridge.

do tell.
head to the right from where the bridge used to be past the abandoned buildings, and you can get over to the park via a path under 78, passing my that makeshift skatepark.=. It's a bit sketchy to be sure, but it's a lot shorter than going all the way up Pacific.

Posted on: 2012/12/22 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
HPYC - thanks for the info. Tried it this morning on a run but the area was flooded due to the rain last night. Better than running up to Pacific Ave and then down into the park.

Three things about this route - cannot do it at night since there are no lights, need to be careful of the rocks/stones and should really wear a haz mat suit through that area.

The north access road to LSP is open but the majority of the park is still closed. I hope they open it up soon - really miss running in the park.

Posted on: 2012/12/21 20:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/17 4:05
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to see the footbridge working again,
I commute by bike daily from the foundry area,

maybe the city council can tell us how we citizens could organize to help?
volunteering for such construction might not be that easy..

Posted on: 2012/12/21 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
wasn't the waterway under the bridge a Superfund site ?

No, but close enough.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bang a right on Aetna St. just before the bridge. Left through the gravel and mud at the end of Aetna and you end up at the running trail on Johnston.

PS - bear in mind a lot of the park where you may be used to running is still closed off.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 20:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HPYC wrote:

do tell.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
wasn't the waterway under the bridge a Superfund site ?

Posted on: 2012/12/20 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/12/20 17:55

LSP Stinky Bridge
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
I had a dream the other night the LSP Stinky Bridge was repaired.

Does anyone have any info on the repair status of the bridge and re-opening the park? Man, I miss running over there.

I've heard about the big money plans to extend Jersey Ave, but all I need is Stinky Bridge back in action!!!

Thanks all!!!

Posted on: 2012/12/20 16:31

Re: LSP Bridge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
This could be a good opportunity to brush up on your Morris Canal lore. You may not realize it but that old footbridge of ours was over the Eastern terminus of the Morris Canal, a vast historically significant waterway. Here is the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Canal

and another: http://www.morriscanal.org/kids.htm

Posted on: 2012/11/15 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Volunteering to help clean up and repair property that we all (as New Jerseyans) OWN together is an excellent way to help this area recover from the storm. Easy and free, too.

Expecting the government to take care of everything and complaining when it doesn't, just because you pay taxes, is the exact opposite of being a good citizen. By the way, one of the primary taxes the state collects is sales tax. Since we in Jersey City get a 50% discount on that, it's only fair that we should roll up our sleeves and pitch in when the state needs our help.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 17:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 5:42
Group:
Registered Users
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! ? Help restore Liberty State Park. We need volunteers to remove litter from lawns and trees in the park left by Hurricane Sandy. Join us this Saturday, November 17, at 9 a.m. Give as much time as you can! Wear sturdy boot
s, bring work gloves, water and snacks. Ages 15 to adult can help. Teens must be accompanied by a parent. Directions: Take Exit 14 C to Liberty Science Center, enter the park through Johnston/Audrey Zapp Drive and park in the Central Parking Lot across from Liberty House Restaurant. Registration required, Email: lspoffice@verizon.net Please give your name, phone and number of volunteers.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jzara wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I'm betting they use this event to push through the scheduling for the vehicle bridge that developers want, and hold us hostage by not rebuilding the footbridge till we cave.

I wouldn't mind a vehicle bridge or regular street going into the park, it would actually present a good opportunity for a protected separated two-way bike lane and ped lane alongside it or something of that sort. Jersey Ave is more than wide enough for cars, bikes and peds. Although this being New Jersey they probably won't do that. It could wind up being another Grand Ave.

If you don't know, there's huge, long backstory to this, the gist of which is a vehicle bridge will be used by masses of Tpk commuters to bypass exit 14C and use 14B to Burma/Phillips rd to get to the tunnel & waterfront via Jersey, Grand & the streets of Downtown. B-L residents are for this in the mistaken belief it'll relieve congestion on Johnson & Pacific, Downtowners mostly against.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 23:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I'm betting they use this event to push through the scheduling for the vehicle bridge that developers want, and hold us hostage by not rebuilding the footbridge till we cave.

I wouldn't mind a vehicle bridge or regular street going into the park, it would actually present a good opportunity for a protected separated two-way bike lane and ped lane alongside it or something of that sort. Jersey Ave is more than wide enough for cars, bikes and peds. Although this being New Jersey they probably won't do that. It could wind up being another Grand Ave.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 18:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned
Liberty State Park is still closed until further notice, by the way.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
once things get somewhat back to normal there needs to be a huge push via Fulop's office to get a bridge in place. Totally unacceptable if it gets sandbagged for political reasons. LSP should absolutely not be a reach by car park only...

Posted on: 2012/11/13 17:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
+1 to Brewster's comment... I can see that as a likely unfortunate development.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Lets face it the old bridge WAS the sort of thing that could have been thrown up overnight and I hope some agency will take the trouble to throw up a new one soon. I would be content with a Burma Bridge.

A Bailey bridge would be another cheap & rapid option. Perhaps even better would be a pontoon bridge. Either would be wide enough for pedestrians and bikes. I worked in postwar zones with conditions much worse than what we have now, and they threw those up literally overnight.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
Lets face it the old bridge WAS the sort of thing that could have been thrown up overnight and I hope some agency will take the trouble to throw up a new one soon. I would be content with a Burma Bridge. Or one of those cable car affairs with a chair in a mesh box hanging from a steel cable with some rope and pulleys with which you pull yourself across. Not having access to the park from that location is going to be an enduring hardship. In another thread last summer someone proposed a bridge at the East end of the Morris Canal, one high enough to allow the water traffic to pass under. Rational minds know this would be too expensive but I propose a tunnel. Very expensive no doubt but I feel its an idea that WILL eventually be implemented in the far off future. Unless jetpack technology comes in first.

Posted on: 2012/11/13 14:12

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 15 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017