Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Re: Stop Signs on Erie Street - Steven FUlop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
What some people worry about in the historical areas are structural damage to their older homes if the speed bumps are taken a little too fast. I don't know if there is any fact to this.

When I first started asking about speed bumps in 2006 the City policy was that they were illegal. I asked Hoboken's Ian Saks who handles traffic issues among other things about this and he said that they (meaning Hoboken) were going to do whatever it takes to slow traffic down and keep pedestrians safe.

Hoboken is a lot smaller. I think Jersey City balked because once one person got one then everyone would want one and the cost of this added up quickly. This was back when the economy was doing pretty well. I had felt that they should roll it into every time they pave a new road.

They do make a lot of noise when an empty truck rolls over them. I think rumble strips are a waste of money. I don't think Harsimus Cove, The Village, and Hamilton Park should be used to cut through Jersey City to get to the Holland Tunnel. I think stop signs and speed bumps are needed.

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Rumble strips make noise, as their name implies, and don't achieve much. Hopefully speed-bumps don't make as much noise as rumble strips, and unlike rumble-strips they actually slow down traffic.

Robin.

speed bumps make a little noise - not nearly as annoying as rumble strips - and are a proven traffic-calmer.

they're used without incident in Hoboken, so I don't know why Jersey City gets its collective knickers in a twist every time the subject is brought up here.

I would happily choose the muffled thump-thump of tires on speed bumps, over the screeching brakes and subsequent smash I hear on a regular basis outside my Erie St window.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 3:24
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
When acknowledged speed bumps work great but otherwise are very noisy when moronic drivers speed over them. While not totally against them I prefer the JCPD step up enforcement and collect some money to pay for them. Two birds.....

Why have a human do something that a pile of road can do?

Sound proof your apt or move to a less noisy area.

Don't live near them but I don't automatically take a NIMBY attitude either. Cops writing tickets means more money and drivers perhaps actually obeying traffic laws as they learn to fear breaking the law.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
When acknowledged speed bumps work great but otherwise are very noisy when moronic drivers speed over them. While not totally against them I prefer the JCPD step up enforcement and collect some money to pay for them. Two birds.....

Why have a human do something that a pile of road can do?

Sound proof your apt or move to a less noisy area.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Rumble strips make noise, as their name implies, and don't achieve much. Hopefully speed-bumps don't make as much noise as rumble strips, and unlike rumble-strips they actually slow down traffic.

Robin.

speed bumps make a little noise - not nearly as annoying as rumble strips - and are a proven traffic-calmer.

they're used without incident in Hoboken, so I don't know why Jersey City gets its collective knickers in a twist every time the subject is brought up here.

I would happily choose the muffled thump-thump of tires on speed bumps, over the screeching brakes and subsequent smash I hear on a regular basis outside my Erie St window.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
There is an obvious, low-cost solution to stop speeding - speed bumps. But [supposedly] the Jersey City department responsible opposes them for unspecified reasons.

Injuries saved through reducing speeds will surely outweigh any posited increases due to slowing down emergency vehicles.

The other reasons I have heard is that they damage old buildings, cause noise for residents, damage plows. Basically a load of pathetic excuses.

I'd love to understand the real reason.
Robin.

Damaging buildings and constant noise for residents is not pathetic. I know people who had rumble strips removed because they were so disruptive to their lives.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There is an obvious, low-cost solution to stop speeding - speed bumps. But [supposedly] the Jersey City department responsible opposes them for unspecified reasons.

Injuries saved through reducing speeds will surely outweigh any posited increases due to slowing down emergency vehicles.

The other reasons I have heard is that they damage old buildings, cause noise for residents, damage plows. Basically a load of pathetic excuses.

I'd love to understand the real reason.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
can anyone point to any serious effort or reasonable response to the traffic safety issues in DTJC? As near as I can tell all our complaining falls on totally deaf ears. And no, that ridiculous speedometer thing they move around does not count...

Posted on: 2012/10/10 13:36

Re: Car crash at 4th & Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
DC may have found the right traffic calming solution: traffic cameras at stop signs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/n ... 2-3cfc842a6d89_story.html

If Jersey City did that, they'd have to do a triple recount of the number of zeros on the total amount of fines they'd make the first month. If they put a camera at every stop sign, charging $50 a pop per run stop sign could probably pay the city's whole budget for the year in a couple of months.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 5:06

Re: Car crash at 4th & Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
DC may have found the right traffic calming solution: traffic cameras at stop signs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/n ... 2-3cfc842a6d89_story.html

Posted on: 2012/10/10 3:32

Car crash at 4th & Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Fairly serious crash happened at the intersection of 4th & Jersey around 9:30pm last night. I couldn't tell exactly what happened, it looked like a common two-car collision that we see at many of these intersections. One of the cars ended up jumping the curb and plowing into the side of the real estate agency on the NW corner. A woman left one of the cars with a serious limp and was carried into the Baptist church to await the ambulance.

The roads were wet at the time but I did not see any cars blocking the intersection on Jersey (as they often are.) Note that this is the second time in a few years that the building has been hit by a car--the last time put the old "Public School" boutique out of business for good.

Posted on: 2012/10/8 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
2-car collision at 3 PM. Did seem to be any injuries but the front of one of the cars was bashed in pretty good. A stop sign on Manila at 8th is more desperately needed than ever.

Quote:

tern wrote:
I have never heard of a police department opposing a traffic calming measure! "Not needed"!

WHere a stop sign is needed most is on Manilla at 8th street. That junction is dangerous as the parked cars mean it is very difficult to see the traffic speeding along Manilla, you must slowly ease forward in your car until you can see, and then a car will invariably come speeding towards you.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Another big accident at First and Erie. The car that ran the stop sign is spun completely around, while the speeding car that hit it is in pieces on the sidewalk. No injuries, thankfully, and no ticket on the car parked in the fire lane, blocking the view of both drivers.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
It's amazing that cars are going so fast through these small streets that they are wrapping around telephone poles and smashing through peoples fences etc. It is so obvious that the city could be collecting major bucks from these people who are endangering residents and their children. Last night our neighborhood was filled with hundreds of kids and yet people were speeding and jumping Stop-Signs all over the place. Unfortunately it's going to take a tragedy to get any real action. Until then cue the portable, blinking sign.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
another week, another accident at 1st and Erie. this one wrapped a car around the telephone pole, resulting in serious injury.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 14:41

Re: 2 Accidents on Erie and 1st in ONE WEEK
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

I contacted Councilman Fulop and in his reply he basically said the following:

"Councilman Fulop and his office have written memos and communicated this to Chief of Police, Comey, along with the Harsimus Cove Neighborhood Association. Comey and his office have communicated they will correct this but unfortunately per NJ Faulkner act, all police personnel report to the Mayor and not the Council. So it is limited what either Councilman Fulop or the City Council is able to do in this situation.

My suggestion is call the Mayor's office and complain of this problem: 201-547-5200

Does the Parking Authority report to the Mayor as well? I would think a little enforcement will go a long way towards solving this issue. They are now ticketing cars with handicap placards for not depositing the 1st quarter. The city would make more money and be better served if they ticketed these cars parked to close to the corners/crosswalks, instead of potentially forcing a handicapped person to go to court.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Comey and his cronies gather like basking seals in front of police headquarters on Erie, watching people speed past, while others run the stop sign mere yards away on Bay Street. He doesn't even reach for his pen. And the majority of illegally-parked cars on that corner belong to police officials, despite the fact that they have their own parking lot right behind the building.

What do the 4 council persons (Fulop and the 3 at large) have to say about this matter with the police car parking ?

I contacted Councilman Fulop and in his reply he basically said the following:

"Councilman Fulop and his office have written memos and communicated this to Chief of Police, Comey, along with the Harsimus Cove Neighborhood Association. Comey and his office have communicated they will correct this but unfortunately per NJ Faulkner act, all police personnel report to the Mayor and not the Council. So it is limited what either Councilman Fulop or the City Council is able to do in this situation.

My suggestion is call the Mayor's office and complain of this problem: 201-547-5200

Posted on: 2010/9/20 16:26
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkinghallofshame wrote:
The intersection of Bay and Erie intrigues me and I have noticed that cars are always parked there despite the striping. If the cars that park there are indeed police officers, I wonder why they don't utilize their parking lot in the back of the building.

I have seen it myself, Policemen with ID hanging around their necks just parking there without giving it a second thought. In fact today is street cleaning on the right hand side. The cleaner comes between 1:30 and 1:40. Hang out on the corner of Manila and Bay, and you will see the Parking Authority scooter and the street cleaner completely bypass Bay between Manila and Erie, making a left on Manila. This is because its well known that the bulk of these cars belong to Policemen, and they are "exempt" from parking enforcement.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 12:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/16 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
>> Similar problem on the corner of Bay and Erie, there the corner spaces are striped, yet cars are always parked there.

The intersection of Bay and Erie intrigues me and I have noticed that cars are always parked there despite the striping. If the cars that park there are indeed police officers, I wonder why they don't utilize their parking lot in the back of the building.

Posted on: 2010/9/20 0:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

soulman wrote:

One thing everyone is failing to say is that this location is about 200 ft from Internal Affairs. What are they odds that most of these people, if not all of them are Police Officers? Pretty good, I'd say. That would explain the lack of enforcement. Why not photograph the same block on street cleaning days, the cars that don't get tickets (and there are many), belong to policemen. Similar problem on the corner of Bay and Erie, there the corner spaces are stripped, yet cars are always parked there.

it's been said. several times. street-cleaning days on that corner are a joke. no one gets ticketed, and as a result, 1st street is always swimming in trash.

You missed the point, the violators are the Police, park your car there on those days, and you will get ticketed. The street cleaner simply drives around the cars known to belong to Policemen. Its an enforcement issue that puts public safety at risk.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soulman wrote:

One thing everyone is failing to say is that this location is about 200 ft from Internal Affairs. What are they odds that most of these people, if not all of them are Police Officers? Pretty good, I'd say. That would explain the lack of enforcement. Why not photograph the same block on street cleaning days, the cars that don't get tickets (and there are many), belong to policemen. Similar problem on the corner of Bay and Erie, there the corner spaces are stripped, yet cars are always parked there.

it's been said. several times. street-cleaning days on that corner are a joke. no one gets ticketed, and as a result, 1st street is always swimming in trash.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 16:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
>>while I appreciate the sentiment behind the creation of this site, many of the cars you posted were parked a good distance from the stop signs. it's the jerks who park right-up-to the corner who are creating a dangerous situation.

In most instances there are two state laws that are being broken:

New Jersey Statute Annotated 39:4-138(e) prohibits parking within 25 feet of a crosswalk.

New Jersey Statute Annotated 39:4-138(h) mandates that cars need to be parked further than 50 feet from a stop sign.

Of course I realize that in a city both of these distances are unrealistic. All of the cars listed on the site are less than 15 feet from the stop signs, which obscures the signs from being seen in time by traffic moving down First Street.

Additionally, there is only one stop sign at the intersection of First and Erie Streets.

Is there a specific car you were concerned about?[/quote]

Bravo for the creation of the web site, hope you can shame the offenders into doing the right thing, or at least get the city to step up enforcement.

Should an accident be caused because a driver did not have visability due to the fact that a car was parked too close to the corner or crosswalk, then the owner of the parked car (if its not legally parked) should be held liable.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Most of those cars are way too close to the intersections. I think that 20 feet or a car and half length from the intersection is reasonable most of the time in this crowded area. I think it would be great to post photos of the cars/people who blatantly take 2 spots. It's amazing that the people on my block, many who have known each other for years, will blatantly block their neighbors from getting a spot. No they are not "reserving" spots. They are just selfish pricks.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 2:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
>>while I appreciate the sentiment behind the creation of this site, many of the cars you posted were parked a good distance from the stop signs. it's the jerks who park right-up-to the corner who are creating a dangerous situation.

In most instances there are two state laws that are being broken:

New Jersey Statute Annotated 39:4-138(e) prohibits parking within 25 feet of a crosswalk.

New Jersey Statute Annotated 39:4-138(h) mandates that cars need to be parked further than 50 feet from a stop sign.

Of course I realize that in a city both of these distances are unrealistic. All of the cars listed on the site are less than 15 feet from the stop signs, which obscures the signs from being seen in time by traffic moving down First Street.

Additionally, there is only one stop sign at the intersection of First and Erie Streets.

Is there a specific car you were concerned about?

Posted on: 2010/9/19 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The Jersey City Parking Hall of Shame has been established to raise awareness of the parking issues in our neighborhood.

While we won't be suing anytime soon, this site clearly shows the need for enforcement and improvements at the intersection.

Jersey City Parking Hall of Shame

while I appreciate the sentiment behind the creation of this site, many of the cars you posted were parked a good distance from the stop signs. it's the jerks who park right-up-to the corner who are creating a dangerous situation.

Posted on: 2010/9/18 16:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
>>Yes, I've noticed that and all the more reason to record and photograph any illegally parked cars. Sue the owners of those cars and the city too for not enforcing the parking regulations thus endangering pedestrians and drivers.

The Jersey City Parking Hall of Shame has been established to raise awareness of the parking issues in our neighborhood.

While we won't be suing anytime soon, this site clearly shows the need for enforcement and improvements at the intersection.

Jersey City Parking Hall of Shame

Posted on: 2010/9/18 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Comey and his cronies gather like basking seals in front of police headquarters on Erie, watching people speed past, while others run the stop sign mere yards away on Bay Street. He doesn't even reach for his pen. And the majority of illegally-parked cars on that corner belong to police officials, despite the fact that they have their own parking lot right behind the building.

What do the 4 council persons (Fulop and the 3 at large) have to say about this matter with the police car parking ?

Posted on: 2010/9/12 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Comey should be listening. My dogwalker's car was T-Boned last week and totalled by a guy driving with a suspended license. I would like to see more and more speed traps and enforcement of the Stop-Sign law. Get the cops out in force making our streets safe, pulling in outstanding warrants and filtering out the criminal element who use our streets as a super-highway. The person you saw get hit should document the illegally parked cars license plates and include them in any litigation.

Yes, I've noticed that and all the more reason to record and photograph any illegally parked cars. Sue the owners of those cars and the city too for not enforcing the parking regulations thus endangering pedestrians and drivers.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
How long before somebody dies? Is that what it's going to take to get a 4-way stop sign here?

You don't need a 4-way stop. Those are both one-way streets, so you only need a "two-way" stop. For that, you only need to add one sign.

oh, right. sorry.

math is hard.

Posted on: 2010/9/12 20:54

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact