Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Any thoughts on Bakery Lofts and surrounding area (Sherman Ave. between Bowers and South Street)?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
I live on Beach St. so can't say much about your particular block. However, I see some positive changes in the area despite the bad economy.
One more neighborhood resource is the Heights Hope Neighborhood Association.
Web: http://heightshope.webs.com/
Meetings Schedule and Location: 7:00 pm on the 3rd Thursday of the month in the Auditorium of PS #28 School
The first part of the meeting includes feedback from the local precinct. We have a great Police Community Relations Team.

Posted on: 2012/10/9 23:47

Re: Any thoughts on Bakery Lofts and surrounding area (Sherman Ave. between Bowers and South Street)?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/6 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I and our three children live on Sherman near the Bakery Lofts. We are "transplants" from downtown and have lived here since 2002. I concur with my neighbors, this is one of the best blocks to live on in the Heights! Crime has not impacted our lives directly (thankfully). I'd say the litter/trashy streets are more of a concern. This location is ideal for commuting into the city or to Hoboken, downtown, or Journal Square. A bike is definitely key if you do not own a car. The Shoprite in Hoboken, down by the Lightrail stop at Congress St., is the best for grocery shopping. And the Farmer's Market on Sunday's in Riverview Fisk Park has been a wonderful addition to the neighborhood. Best thing about Sherman Ave is having nice neighbors who look out for each other. Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/10/6 1:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived nearby for several years now and I feel that this area of Sherman is quiet and I feel safe here. There are muggings etc... in the Heights but also quite a few in downtown Jersey City, as well so I think it's inescapable in an urban area.
You can walk to Hoboken via Mountain Road (not at night) for downtown or walk north to Congress via Ogden Avenue and take the elevator. A bicycle is handy for getting around and a cab from Hoboken path is around $8.00. I see more and more young couples walking their dogs or with the baby stroller so I would say the area is trending upward but it is a SLOW process. On the other hand, this crappy economy has not worsened the neighborhood--it's still improving.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 23:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/4 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Many thanks for your replies!

I viewed the location last night and got the opportunity to chat with some potential neighbors. Their views seem to be very much in line with yours.

The immediate surrounding area is nice and peaceful but veer out a bit and the area may not be so safe.

Once I'm closer to making a decision I'm definitely going to PM the both of you and get a better feel of the neighborhood generally.

Until then, if anyone else would care to chime in, please do so; the more information I have to base my decision on the better so keep it coming!

Thanks again, all.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Newcomer wrote:
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. I grew up in Bayonne and am considering a purchase in Jersey City.

I was wondering whether anybody had any thoughts on Bakery Lofts on Sherman Avenue (between Bowers and South Streets).

How's the surrounding area? I don't mind that it's not a bustling urban area obviously but how's the crime?

Trulia has healthy shades of red all over that location. However, many of the crimes indicated on the site are not all that current.

I also used google street view to check out the area and it doesn't look all that bad aesthetically.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance, guys!

I have lived in the Heights for not quite 60 years. The neighborhood you are looking at is one of the nicer blocks. You have some great neighbors there. Crime is rampant all over Jersey City despite the best efforts of our police dept. Drugs are a problem as are gangs. Walking Central Ave. after dark is problematic. Neither Riverview-Fisk or Washington Park are that convenient to your location. PM me & I will let you know of the excellent one in your own neighborhood. The president & vice-president are personal friends & two of the best people you can know. I am also friends with the president of the Washington Park Assn. Like I said, PM & I will get you hooked up. Let you know best pizza, chinese, cleaners, etc.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
1) One of the better blocks and 99% of the people on this block take very good care of their properties.

2) Basically a very quiet block.

3) Very little crime and the homeowners keep a good watch and look out for each other.

4) Good mix of folks, many lifers, newbies, downtown transplants etc.

5) Lots of new people moving in and renovating the homes on the surrounding blocks.

6)Kid and dog friendly.

7) Two blocks away from Riverview and Washington Park that has a very good neighborhood association.

8) Farmers market every Sunday at Riverview Park

any other question please feel free to PM me.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 23:22

Any thoughts on Bakery Lofts and surrounding area (Sherman Ave. between Bowers and South Street)?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/4 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum. I grew up in Bayonne and am considering a purchase in Jersey City.

I was wondering whether anybody had any thoughts on Bakery Lofts on Sherman Avenue (between Bowers and South Streets).

How's the surrounding area? I don't mind that it's not a bustling urban area obviously but how's the crime?

Trulia has healthy shades of red all over that location. However, many of the crimes indicated on the site are not all that current.

I also used google street view to check out the area and it doesn't look all that bad aesthetically.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance, guys!

Posted on: 2012/10/3 21:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017