Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Parking Authority

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/14 1:02
Group:
Registered Users
I had TWO cars but just sold the old one I never drive. I got a boot on it then towed because I was out of town for several days when all this happened! Cost me close to 400 bucks! Got it back then sold it for 600 bucks just to avoid the possible headache of it happening again. JCPA said it was from tickets from 9 years ago. No matter how I look at it I got I got fleeced by city govt!

Posted on: 2012/10/14 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TurnSignal wrote:
From what I've seen, you can also park all nights and weekends directly in front of fire hydrants, in crosswalks, on corners painted red...basically, wherever the heck you want. No laws apply when the PA isn't patrolling. Police don't care. THOSE laws aren't their concern. But come 9AM, if your bumper is 6 inches in the red or in a zone that is literally across the same street from your own zone (e.g. parts of Coles are 6 on one side of the street and 5 on the other) BINGO! TICKET!

9AM are you insane ! The J.C. PA starts at 6am finishing at 11pm Mon - Fri and 8pm on Saturdays, they don't work on Sundays. Metered parking ends at 6pm, Sundays are free. And by the way next to the tax department this is the most important department in the city.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 14:56
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/9 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
If you park in Reserved Parking without the proper permit they will ticket AND boot you so fast - HUGE JCPA money maker for improper parking on Reserved Parking space.

They love these parking zones. If you've been parking somewhere for years and they make a new zone, they just add the residential zone sign to the alternate side signs and if you don't notice the change - BANG! At least half a day and a couple of hundred bucks down the drain.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TurnSignal wrote:
From what I've seen, you can also park all nights and weekends directly in front of fire hydrants, in crosswalks, on corners painted red...basically, wherever the heck you want. No laws apply when the PA isn't patrolling. Police don't care. THOSE laws aren't their concern. But come 9AM, if your bumper is 6 inches in the red or in a zone that is literally across the same street from your own zone (e.g. parts of Coles are 6 on one side of the street and 5 on the other) BINGO! TICKET!

I've addressed this with law enforcement several times. I am totally sympathetic to their manpower shortage & all but for pete's sake, when it's a slow night, please. Another one is the illegal parking of commercial, taxi & limos on the street overnight.

The police, like the parking authority will tell you that if you call it in, they will come & ticket. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And forget about getting justice if the car has 'LE' plates & shield or one of those 'Official Business for Jersey City' placards.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 14:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/13 13:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/10/13 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Zone 4 is from Morgan > Second between Marin Blvd > Washington St. On Bay St. it extends east to Greene St and on Second St extends to waterfront. THEN Zone 4 jumps over JCPA's "Reserved Parking" from Montgomery > Grand St between Warren > Greene St. Marin Blvd between Morgan > Second St is Zone 4. Unfortunately for Zone 4 permit holders much of Zone 4 has been gobbled up by day-time parking meters and JCPA Reserved Parking. Beware - Extra enforcement in Zones near Grove Street PATH - cracking down on expired permits and those with no permit or wrong permit right now. Street Cleaning is spotty in Zone 4 - but if signs says street cleaning they will ticket.
If you park in Reserved Parking without the proper permit they will ticket AND boot you so fast - HUGE JCPA money maker for improper parking on Reserved Parking space.

Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
Essex street has special rules all to itself. Essex street residents have dedicated permits for Essex Street, other folks can park there in the day if they have the correct zone permit, but cannot park there after 5pm.

Robin.

Hmmm. Thanks for the info. I thought only Morgan & Bay had the special rules. Residents on those two streets have a horrible time with street cleaning because the cars that are parked there are by permit.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Essex street has special rules all to itself. Essex street residents have dedicated permits for Essex Street, other folks can park there in the day if they have the correct zone permit, but cannot park there after 5pm.

Robin.

Hmmm. Thanks for the info. I thought only Morgan & Bay had the special rules. Residents on those two streets have a horrible time with street cleaning because the cars that are parked there are by permit.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 11:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
You can park in any zone after 5 or 6 pm, Saturdays, Sundays & Holidays unless posted for some reason. Just make sure you're out of there by 8 or 9 am. The only exception to the rule is Zone 8 which is around NJ University. They would ticket/tow God from there. Also the only other exception is Bay & Morgan Sts. I think. They are permit parking.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You can park on Essex during the day, you just need to be gone by 5pm.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I think this has happened to many people, I myself wrongly parked my zone 3 car on essex (which is actually private parking). However, to miss a part of the work day for $277 does not seem worth it...

Posted on: 2012/10/4 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, the OP is doing a lot more than questioning the reasonableness of the ticket.

His post shows an unwillingness to fully acknowledge fault by saying things like : "I guess", "technically", "not always easy to check signs". In short, the OP is pissed that he was booted for parking in the wrong zone. And, yes, that really sucks. But, his contention that checking street signs is not easy is almost laughable. That may be the case if you are in a hurry and don't want to bother doing so. Unless, of course, signs are missing, or defaced, or worn out. Like I said, in those cases a person should fight the ticket.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
As others have pointed out, the responsibility for reading street parking signs, and complying with all rules, lays squarely with the driver. I understand we live hurried lives, but that doesn't absolve anyone of their responsibilities. Read the signs, heed the instructions, avoid the tickets.

And, if the signs were not clear, or missing, then do yourself (and, others) a favor and fight the ticket. Paying for invalid tickets only emboldens the JCPA to keep handing out bogus tickets.

The OP knows he parked illegally. He's questioning the reasonableness of the punishment.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 23:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
And, if the signs were not clear, or missing, then do yourself (and, others) a favor and fight the ticket. Paying for invalid tickets only emboldens the JCPA to keep handing out bogus tickets.

Then it will cost time & money to fight it. Also it would help to replace old and worn out signage by calling the Mayor's Action Bureau (201) 547-4900 or the DPW Division of Traffic (201) 547-4470 They should have three signs one at each corner and one in the middle of the roadside. We all have our homework to do. Many facets affect us so we have to stay on top of it all.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
As others have pointed out, the responsibility for reading street parking signs, and complying with all rules, lays squarely with the driver. I understand we live hurried lives, but that doesn't absolve anyone of their responsibilities. Read the signs, heed the instructions, avoid the tickets.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I guess the $300 sting will make you more attentive as to where you park. $300 is a bargain compared to NYC.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tiger wrote:
None of this makes parking easier or streets safer. It's a shameless way to extort money from the people who have to live here. If you take off work to contest a ticket, what do you see? Mostly people who can't afford the ticket pleading with the judge to cut them a break.

I love the tickets written wrong hoping most people will not take off work and just mail in the fine. Oops sorry !

Posted on: 2012/10/3 16:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/24 2:25
From The Hill
Group:
Registered Users
None of this makes parking easier or streets safer. It's a shameless way to extort money from the people who have to live here. If you take off work to contest a ticket, what do you see? Mostly people who can't afford the ticket pleading with the judge to cut them a break.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
booting without any unpaid tickets eliminates due process.

ticket violations yes, boot with unpaid violations past the court date yes, but boot for just violations no.

besides should not be the purpose - parking management.

the parking authority board is comprised of unpaid volunteer commissioners, they can be lobbied or petitioned. they can be replaced (not reappointed).

Posted on: 2012/10/3 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
I guess technically I was parked in the "wrong" zone, but it seems way extreme to boot someone's car especially when they do have a valid parking pass, especially for property owners.

Not always easy to check signs as street parking getting harder, let alone avoiding street sweeping.

If you lose in court - then you are most likely on the hook for court costs in addition to $110 boot fee, $42 ticket, & $125 towing.

$300 for simply parking in the wrong zone is ridiculous

Posted on: 2012/10/3 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I thought parking in JC - as long as you have a permit - was now zone agnostic? I thought this was somethig that Fulop pushed through in the past year?

That is only for the itinerant stickers which were in place way before Fulop took office as a ward councilman. What you are thinking of is the issue of getting your money back from being wrongly booted and ticketed and successfully winning in court where all money paid towards the incident was to be refunded.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I thought parking in JC - as long as you have a permit - was now zone agnostic?

I thought this was somethig that Fulop pushed through in the past year?

uh, no...

Posted on: 2012/10/3 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I thought parking in JC - as long as you have a permit - was now zone agnostic?

I thought this was somethig that Fulop pushed through in the past year?

Posted on: 2012/10/3 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
I came home yesterday from work to find a boot on my car parked on Grand Street. Apparently, Grand Street is Zone 3 parking even though Grove Street and Van Vorst area is Zone 1. So if your car got the boot placed on at 11:00am, you have until 11:00am the next day to get it removed. Almost impossible if you're trying to fight in court. This seems completely absurd.

You should always check for signs no matter they are hidden or placed. Get the boot removed then go to court, what were you going to do leave the car there until your case was heard and a verdict was decided ? Steve Fulop the current Ward E Councilman and candidate for J.C. mayor tabled for those that got the boot and successfully fought the ticket should also get the fee they paid to remove the boot before that the boot company kept their proceeds. Good luck on getting the tree trimmed. You can cry with the property tax payers 'cause this is all J.C. cares about.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 13:19

Jersey City Parking Authority
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
I came home yesterday from work to find a boot on my car parked on Grand Street. Apparently, Grand Street is Zone 3 parking even though Grove Street and Van Vorst area is Zone 1.

This happened to another person also who lived on Montgomery and had been parking on Grand for a few years. The parking sign which says its Zone 3 near Taqueria is completely hidden by a massively untrimmed tree.

This shows all the different parking zones:

http://www.jcparking.org/pdf/zone%20permits%20all%20zones.pdf

I have been parking all over Jersey City for years and have never seen anyone get a boot on their car for being in the wrong zone - is this something new ?

If you call them, they will say you have the right to fight the charge in court, however -

1) you will probably have to take off work
2) court costs and time to be seen by the judge
3) if you do not have the boot removed within 24 hours your car will be towed, so you will have to pay the $110 to get the boot removed, $125 for tow, and $42 per ticket.

So if your car got the boot placed on at 11:00am, you have until 11:00am the next day to get it removed. Almost impossible if you're trying to fight in court. This seems completely absurd.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 12:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017