Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Illegal apartment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Why have any zoning laws, and while we're at it lets end licenses, passports, rules, insurance, heck we'll just wing everything.

There's a difference between zoning laws that keep a smelly slaughterhouse or noisy factory from opening on a residential block, and zoning rules that decree infill construction on a block of 4-5 story, 4-10 family buildings can only be 2 family 35 ft high. The former is safety & quality of life, the latter social engineering deliberately lowering the density of our city, even though density is what creates the kind of city we all want, rather than a suburb.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Why have any zoning laws, and while we're at it lets end licenses, passports, rules, insurance, heck we'll just wing everything.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 17:33
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Do a google on " nj tax records search" that Monmouth county tax website will popup.

Put in the address of the building in question and look at the Bldg Desc.

Example: Bldg Desc: 2S-F-D-2U-H (I recall it?s read... 2 Story, Frame, Dwelling, 2 Units, Heat)

If it doesn?t match up with what you are seeing in the actual building?..REPORT IT!

I did once.. the guy next door secretly turned his finished basement into an illegal apartment with an outside entrance. All kinds of people going in and out. New faces showing up every other month. What really tipped me off was that they seemed to always be bringing in or taking out mattresses. Why would I not report it and risk having my house burn down because the a-holes next door left a hot plate on all night. Also why should he pay the same property taxes as me while getting the extra rent money? Screw that.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
hat is an illegal motel?

Posted on: 2012/9/21 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
So those of you who are OK with possible illegal apartments and possible illegal rooming houses and possible illegal motels are OK with violations of zoning laws? That's scary. Even scarier is that Mayor Healy and his administration would allow zoning violations to continue as long as the offending party pays. Wouldn't that be a bribe?

Posted on: 2012/9/21 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
it all boils down to N.I.M.B.Y.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
If a property is zoned as R-2 does that automatically mean that property is or can be made into a 2 family dwelling?

Surely you can figure out that nothing is automatic, and as I said, R-1 is 2 family anyway. For an existing structure: "it depends". For increasing units in any zone depends on many things, like the square footage and how well connected is your attorney. I've heard they can be tough on splitting units though.

I'm not sure where you get your info but it's wrong. Existing structures don't "depend" any more than new ones do. Existing 2 families in an R-1 zone are allowed to remain 2 families. Period. Anything else has to go to the ZOning Board and ask for relief (which is rarely granted).

I believe you misunderstood his question and my answer. He was asking if an R-2 single family could be increased into a 2 unit "as of right". I said no, that "it depends", and you agree & clarified it depends on the zoning board, which as I said can be tough. I said nothing about existing multifamilies of any number not remaining as is. I mentioned that there are 8 unit buildings in R-1.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
If a property is zoned as R-2 does that automatically mean that property is or can be made into a 2 family dwelling?

Surely you can figure out that nothing is automatic, and as I said, R-1 is 2 family anyway. For an existing structure: "it depends". For increasing units in any zone depends on many things, like the square footage and how well connected is your attorney. I've heard they can be tough on splitting units though.

I'm not sure where you get your info but it's wrong. Existing structures don't "depend" any more than new ones do. Existing 2 families in an R-1 zone are allowed to remain 2 families. Period. Anything else has to go to the ZOning Board and ask for relief (which is rarely granted).

Posted on: 2012/9/19 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
They don't meet fire code - 3 families require sprinklers.

Utterly untrue for older buildings. There's so much BS on this thread on both sides. Yes, people are breaking the law to have unzoned apartments, but they are not hazardous by definition, many are up to any code standard, but simply not zoned. However, since the construction cannot be done under permit with inspections, this increases the incentive for the unscrupulous to do substandard or dangerous work.

What creates this problem is the absurd, virtually suburban, R-1 zoning passed by Schundler over almost all of older residential JC. On a full sized 25x100 lot one can only construct a 2 family with a height of 35 ft. JC is full of lots of this size with older 8 unit buildings! This zoning amounts to a move to lower the density of JC everywhere but the redevelopment zones. But "new urbanist" philosophy cites density as a good thing, high density brings services & commercial development that improves quality of life. Car parking gets more difficult, and for some people that's the only issue that matters, but we can't let city life be ruled by cars, that's for the suburbs.

One of the few sensible things to come out of the Healy camp was the idea to inspect and put the apartments that are up to building code, but not zoned, on the tax rolls.

Both older buildings converted into 3's and new buildings have fire code requirements. Yes, old buildings have to follow rehab code but they still have to be retrofitted.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
So yeah, if you've actually spent part of your day to report an illegal apartment, you might want to reassess your priorities or look for a productive hobby. I bet there's at least 100 other ways to spend that time in which you could more efficiently benefit your life.

But nah, you'd rather mess with someone else's living situation. What are you avoiding in your life?

Not so black and white. Although as I said illegal does not equal unsafe, it opens the door. If I knew there were people living in clearly unsafe conditions like some of these immigrant barracks with hotplates, portable electric heaters & no windows I might call. But not for a "mother in law" apartment that is otherwise safe. And don't think that because it's legal it IS safe. I've seen plenty of older kitchens & bathrooms in legal, green carded buildings without even GFCI outlets.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
So yeah, if you've actually spent part of your day to report an illegal apartment, you might want to reassess your priorities or look for a productive hobby. I bet there's at least 100 other ways to spend that time in which you could more efficiently benefit your life.

But nah, you'd rather mess with someone else's living situation. What are you avoiding in your life?

Posted on: 2012/9/19 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

petey8 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/9/18 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/9/18 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Wow just wow.

You're gripping because you "assume" they are not paying taxes and that tax burden gets put on you? Well, let me put it this way. Mitt Romney, who most likely earns much more than all of us on this board COMBINED pays less taxes than most of us. Oil, Electric, Big Agriculture companies, and many more get millions in subsidies and pay less in taxes. They siphon much more taxes and put much more burden on you than some family that has decided to finish a room and rent it out.

And even if they don't pay the taxes, they pay the mortgage right and the property tax?

In any case, it's fine that everyone here is all angels but I hope you also report people who are jaywalking because that can cause

FATAL car accidents. Actually, people who get hit by cars at high speeds do not have a good chance for survival.

Also, what if that person has no insurance then WE will have to pay for their ambulance ride to the hospital and their treatment.

So jaywalking is totally dangerous and we should report everyone who jaywalks also.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
They don't meet fire code - 3 families require sprinklers.

Utterly untrue for older buildings. There's so much BS on this thread on both sides. Yes, people are breaking the law to have unzoned apartments, but they are not hazardous by definition, many are up to any code standard, but simply not zoned. However, since the construction cannot be done under permit with inspections, this increases the incentive for the unscrupulous to do substandard or dangerous work.

What creates this problem is the absurd, virtually suburban, R-1 zoning passed by Schundler over almost all of older residential JC. On a full sized 25x100 lot one can only construct a 2 family with a height of 35 ft. JC is full of lots of this size with older 8 unit buildings! This zoning amounts to a move to lower the density of JC everywhere but the redevelopment zones. But "new urbanist" philosophy cites density as a good thing, high density brings services & commercial development that improves quality of life. Car parking gets more difficult, and for some people that's the only issue that matters, but we can't let city life be ruled by cars, that's for the suburbs.

One of the few sensible things to come out of the Healy camp was the idea to inspect and put the apartments that are up to building code, but not zoned, on the tax rolls.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
You people are all assholes.

You are basically #OOPS#ing over the tenant who presumably found a slightly less over priced rental unit.

Congratulations on being the worst neighbors ever.

The woman mentioned in this article nearly paid with her life for for a "less over priced rental unit."

Jersey City woman rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning; landlord likely to face fines for 'illegal' units
Published: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 3:00 AM
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

A WOMAN was rushed to the hospital yesterday with carbon monoxide poisoning at 101-103 Magnolia Ave. in Jersey City. Firefights say they found three illegal units in a basement at the two, six-unit buildings. Here, the owner of the buildings, right, talks with authorities.
A Jersey City woman was rushed to a hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning yesterday afternoon and officials later shut down all hot water heaters at her address and in a second building, officials said.
When firefighters responded to the two, six-unit buildings at 101-103 Magnolia Ave., they found three illegal units in a basement, Fire Director Armando Roman said.
Responding Public Service Electric & Gas workers inspected the buildings and shut down the water heaters, Roman said.
The woman who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning was taken to the Jersey City Medical Center and she was expected to be OK, Roman said.
The owner, who lives in one of the buildings, will likely face fines regarding the illegal apartments, Roman said.
? 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

You're right. No one has ever died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a legal apartment.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Family members of Bayonne resident Bahgat Mosaad mourn his death in July 2007. Mosaad, 33, was found dead in an illegal attic apartment on 11th Street.

Link to Article

Posted on: 2012/9/18 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

You are basically #OOPS#ing over the tenant who presumably found a slightly less over priced rental unit.

The woman mentioned in this article nearly paid with her life for for a "less over priced rental unit."

Jersey City woman rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning; landlord likely to face fines for 'illegal' units
Published: Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 3:00 AM
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

A WOMAN was rushed to the hospital yesterday with carbon monoxide poisoning at 101-103 Magnolia Ave. in Jersey City. Firefights say they found three illegal units in a basement at the two, six-unit buildings. Here, the owner of the buildings, right, talks with authorities.
A Jersey City woman was rushed to a hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning yesterday afternoon and officials later shut down all hot water heaters at her address and in a second building, officials said.
When firefighters responded to the two, six-unit buildings at 101-103 Magnolia Ave., they found three illegal units in a basement, Fire Director Armando Roman said.
Responding Public Service Electric & Gas workers inspected the buildings and shut down the water heaters, Roman said.
The woman who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning was taken to the Jersey City Medical Center and she was expected to be OK, Roman said.
The owner, who lives in one of the buildings, will likely face fines regarding the illegal apartments, Roman said.
? 2012 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/9/18 16:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
How is the illegal apartment affecting your way of life?

if it isn't then you should mind your own business. If the tenants are disturbing you, you should go ahead and report.

They don't meet fire code - 3 families require sprinklers. And as we all know, a house fire in a city can spread quickly. And the building owner's insurance won't cover the fire, because an illegal apartment invalidates the coverage.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Nothing is going to happen as long as the property taxes are paid that is all that matters. And pay those parking tickets as well.

That's completely false.
Missmags is right, though.

I hope you're right I guess with so many illegal apartments it is hard for the city to keep up plus you have to gain entry and have clear proof.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 11:01
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Go ahead and report it.

1. If the tenant has a car, then it will create an extra car spot on the street.

2. It will expose a possible slum landlord exploiting a desperate tenant.

3. Prevent other tenants in the building being exposed to any threat of danger that might come from the illegal apartment.

4. Who is paying for the utilities being used in the illegal apartment ? The power and water supply must be coming for somewhere and costing someone !

Posted on: 2012/9/18 8:14
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

if it isn't then you should mind your own business. If the tenants are disturbing you, you should go ahead and report.

If there are unsafe conditions - carbon monoxide or fire/electrical hazard someone's life could be at risk. Do the right thing and report it to the fire dept.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

driverjase wrote:
What exactly is the definition of an illegal apartment?

Is there any relation between that and a neighbor renting out his 2 bedroom to multiple people while still living there? The people are changing constantly, and when he has been asked about them he says they are roommates (not paying rent) or family (never the same family member twice).

We're a small building and it gets a little creepy sometimes when a random guy comes into the laundry room or the front door, etc. Especially with the uptick of crime in downtown recently.

an illegal apartment is any dwelling that exceeds the number of units registered at that address. something like a refinished basement or attic, or one apartment that's split into two, without the city's knowledge or consent.

your situation sounds like a couchsurfer or airbnb setup. what does your lease say about long-term guests or short-term subletters?

Posted on: 2012/9/18 1:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
What exactly is the definition of an illegal apartment?

Is there any relation between that and a neighbor renting out his 2 bedroom to multiple people while still living there? The people are changing constantly, and when he has been asked about them he says they are roommates (not paying rent) or family (never the same family member twice).

We're a small building and it gets a little creepy sometimes when a random guy comes into the laundry room or the front door, etc. Especially with the uptick of crime in downtown recently.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

I'm generally onboard with the "live and let live" philosophy, but illegal apartments affect neighborhoods in several ways, from the small (more people equals more noise & traffic and fewer parking spaces) to the big (fire hazard).

Plus, bigger picture, a city full of unaccounted-for residents is one whose tax-supported resources get stretched even further than they usually are.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

What jerseymom said.

At the very least, they are shafting YOU on taxes.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/9/17 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
If the apartment is illegal, the landlord can face hefty city fines, fines from the fire department, and a mandatory legal settlement to the tenants they are shafting that could reach up to six times the rent charged.

Likely they are not reporting the rental income on their taxes, so they could get screwed by the IRS also.

The JCFD takes a no nonsense approach to illegal apartments in the city as they are often a fire hazard.

To learn more about what laws protect the tenant, see this link:

LAWS TO PROTECT TENANTS OF ILLEGAL APTS.

Try the Mayor's Action Bureau to see where to report the apartment:

Tel: (201) 547-4900/5555

Posted on: 2012/9/17 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Nothing is going to happen as long as the property taxes are paid that is all that matters. And pay those parking tickets as well.

That's completely false.
Missmags is right, though.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 20:11

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact