Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Charge for new 'picnic pavilions' at Liberty State Park in Jersey City sparks controversy

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/16 18:48
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see what the big deal is. Other parks charge a fee as well. I paid $110 for a site at South Mountain Reservation that wasn't nearly as nice as the view from LSP.

Posted on: 2012/9/16 18:49

Re: Charge for new 'picnic pavilions' at Liberty State Park in Jersey City sparks controversy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
next they will be charging to use public trash cans and a toll to use the sidewalk !

Posted on: 2012/9/16 4:24
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/4 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
my church recently held an event at the 120 person pavillion, and we had a beautiful time, it was worth every penny we paid. it was not difficult to rent the area and the rules to rent are very easy to follow. i think the pavillions would make LOVELY wedding reception areas or retirement party areas, etc.

the bathrooms are very clean and the grassy areas are well kept too. there is plenty of parking and the area is off from the main road, so traffic is nil.

my only complaint is the grills. they are strong, but aesthetically unpleasing and very inefficient. but its a small price to pay, especially if food will be catered to the area.

i definitely think the price they're asking for all day availability is fair. and liberty state park is so beautiful, it's worth it.

Posted on: 2012/9/15 8:49
no matter what, i'm luvin my jc!

Charge for new 'picnic pavilions' at Liberty State Park in Jersey City sparks controversy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Charge for new 'picnic pavilions' at Liberty State Park in Jersey City sparks controversy

September 09, 2012, 6:40 PM
By The Jersey Journal

Responding to a need for picnic areas for larger groups at Liberty State Park in Jersey City, state and local officials cut the ribbon on two sheltered "pavilions" at the park Thursday.

One pavilion accommodates a maximum of 80 people and the other, 120 people, officials said.

"These pavilions will enhance a location which is already a jewel in the New Jersey State Park system," state Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Bob Martin said in a release.

Sam Pesin, president of the Friends of Liberty State Park, the nonprofit volunteer group dedicated to improving and protecting the park, praised the "Freedom Field" pavilions.

The new amenities will bring together people of all backgrounds so they can relax and enjoy life behind Lady Liberty, "the world's greatest symbol of democracy and freedom," said Pesin.

The spaces will also be equipped with lights, electrical outlets, and charcoal grills and are wheelchair accessible.

But not everyone was singing the praises of the new $1.8 million mostly state-funded project.

Jeff Tittel, president of the NJ Sierra Club, welcomed the facility but blasted the state for instituting a fee for their usage.

New Jersey residents would be charged $175 for the day to reserve and use the 120-person pavilion and $125 a day for the 80-person picnic area. Out-of-staters would be charged $225 and $175 respectively.

"We are concerned this new picnic area will not serve the public," Tittel said in a release. "The Governor has already opened Liberty State Park up to more concessionaires and we fear this new picnic area paid for with tax dollars will be leased to a private corporation that will then rent it to the highest bidder and exclude public access."

DEP spokesman Larry Ragonese said the fee was fair and noted Gov. Christie's push to have the state's park system sustain itself financially. State parks generate $8 million a year but cost $35 million to operate, he said.

"The point of the fee is we are going to have bathrooms operating there, an extra eye on security, and that's really the reason," Ragonese said. "It would be the type of fee you would pay anywhere you would go for that type of activity." Ragonese said if the pavilions aren't being used, visitors to the park can use the areas at no charge.

Pesin said the fees are fair and justified.

"The vision of my father, Morris Pesin, Liberty State Park's 'father,' of an urban waterfront family park is further implemented by this wonderful new amenity," he added.

Pesin said his group turned over $200,000 it received from the Hudson County Open Space Trust Fund to help pay for the new pavilions.

By Journal staff writers Ken Thorbourne and Ana Ferrer

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _new_picnic_pavilion.html

Posted on: 2012/9/10 2:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017