Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hey anyone in Dixon Mills with a bike; or anything you value.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Just getting the word out.
Wasn't my bike but that of a neighbors so I'm not sure what kind of lock they had. I use a kyrptonite evo mini. I lock to a wrought iron fence. I've been lucky so far. Yes, to lock outside long term is foolish. It's a matter of convience for me. I felt that with a good lock and "security" I was safe. I do typically carry my 30lb bike up three flights.

As for the car, it was about 10 years ago. That night appx 14 cars were broken into in the lot by Ferris. Getting into those lots are easy. All you have to do is wait for someone to drive out and then walk right in. Put a piece of paper in front of the laser and the gate stays open.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Dixon Mills explicitly states that the security guards, gates etc there are to protect THEIR property and not you or your property. It gives the illusion of security, but unless something is specifically happening to their property, they could care less. A woman got her purse snatched right in front of the security guard office and they did nothing. A passerby had to call the police for her. One of the many reasons I chose to not ever rent or buy there.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:
What maintenance guy had the key to your place ?

When I rented there management had keys to all the renters apt, in case you were locked out, they needed to do repairs etc.

Bikes are kept in the underground parking garage not outside.

Any place to securly lock the bikes up in that garage ? I guess if you rent there you should have cameras installed because free access breeds temptation. Do you at least get notified when they are entering the apartment. This is what I don't like about condos as opposed to co-op buildings where you need an approval for everything. I think buildings should be either all owners or all renters mixing it up causes problems.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 17:35
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
It's not the victim's fault that their bike is stolen..what the hell, especially if it is LOCKED.

I'm assuming you pay a monthly condo fee for "shared space" so why pay it if you can't store stuff there?

If maint is stealing stuff, I think it's a good time to hold a condo meeting and change companies...

Posted on: 2012/8/24 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

When I rented there management had keys to all the renters apt, in case you were locked out, they needed to do repairs etc.

Bikes are kept in the underground parking garage not outside.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
In this city, or any city for that matter, there is no valid reason to leave your bike locked up outside for any extended period of time. If your bike is too heavy to carry up/into your apartment, then you own the wrong bike for city living. I carry by 24lb bike up/down three floors for the simple reason that the safest place for it to be is in my apartment. Shit, I even keep a lock on it while I'm away since burglary is on the boom in our hood. I bought one of these bad boys and it is the best storage solution for keeping your bike in a smallish apartment:

http://www.amazon.com/Feedback-Sports ... ords=feedback+sports+velo

If you live in a closet, at least buy a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain AND u-lock to better your chances of your stuff staying where you left it.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Serious question: how many park their bikes long-term outside? If you live in DM and have a bike, why not keep it indoors if this is a reoccurring problem? I have mine in my kitchen. I'd rather trip over it at night than have it consistently stolen outside.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Yes, I had a Mac laptop stolen from my apt, I still think it was the maintenance workers or security guards. I lived on the first floor so my apt was street level.

The cameras there are a joke. That place gives the illusion that its gated and safe.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Bikes that are locked outside are being targeted. Forget about being "gated" - bikes are stolen. The cameras do not help you recover a lost bike. Police do not care. Dixon does not care. There is no recourse. Now I've brought my bikes that are in my "gated community inside"/ I won't be fooled again.

How and where were the bikes stolen ? Meaning what locks were used and where were the bikes secured to ?

Posted on: 2012/8/24 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I had a Mac laptop stolen from my apt, I still think it was the maintenance workers or security guards. I lived on the first floor so my apt was street level.

The cameras there are a joke. That place gives the illusion that its gated and safe.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Care to elaborate a little bit more? Did you have a bile recently stolen that was locked up outside? I'm curious how someone stole your car twice from a gated lot that requires a key fob to open the gates.

Full disclosure I live at DM.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 9:49

Hey anyone in Dixon Mills with a bike; or anything you value.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Bikes that are locked outside are being targeted. Forget about being "gated" - bikes are stolen. The cameras do not help you recover a lost bike. Police do not care. Dixon does not care. There is no recourse.

I've had a car stolen from "secure" dixon mills lots...twice. Hear my warning. I thought it was better until the past few nights. Now I've brought my bikes that are in my "gated community inside"/ I won't be fooled again.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 4:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017