Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Wayne Street Issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Nah - I just don't go there any more...

There are going to be people who suck anywhere... I managed to find one of them... it happens.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
If you watch the video posted earlier in the thread you will see that the cops basically have a shrug o' the shoulders "You think Wayne Street is bad? HA!" attitude. The only time you will get a quick police response is when bullets are flying. The other choice, which is illegal, is to overstate the urgency of calls made to the JCPD. Until those lowlifes are moved along to Allentown PA or Peekskill, NY you will always have problems. You could chalk it up to "city living" as so many other complacent people do. By the way, Does that "city living" thing apply to rape, your kid getting run over, a drunk Mayor etc.? I guess every "world class" city should hold the promise of those events for future residents.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 15:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 17:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexanderHamilton wrote:

Landlords are not in control of the rents and low-rents attract scumbags. No one wants to be a respectable family in a building of section 8's - So even if the unit is vacated, the state of squaller continues.

According to the JC gov web site, this is not section 8 housing. It is very likely to be rent-controlled, however.

Either way, for the most part, the people there don't seem to be dangerous. But if there are drugs and guns involved, JCPD should spend more time hanging out there.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 15:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/2 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
The Police have limited effect with persistent troublemakers because THEY LIVE THERE. Its a tenant problem caused by Jersey City's appalling rent control ordinance.

Landlords are not in control of the rents and low-rents attract scumbags. No one wants to be a respectable family in a building of section 8's - So even if the unit is vacated, the state of squaller continues.

Wayne Street or Christopher Columbus Avenue. They are all multi family dwellings under rent control.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
What is JCPD doing about this long standing issue?

Posted on: 2012/8/23 11:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
I have been on Wayne for 4 years now (at Dixon between Monmouth and Varick). I should have made this vow a LONG time ago, but based on the "characters" described, the park, etc I have recently decided to NEVER walk down Wayne St. from Grove PATH- always use Columbus or Mercer- not the crap that is Wayne St! I don't do this daily (than goodness), but frequently enough for it to be a pain in the a$%.

While I'm a fairly strong, middle-aged guy, I feel unsafe even when with my parner (another fairly strong, middle-aged guy). The latest is the delinquints "intimidaion" tactics or taking up the entire sidewalk with antics- god-forbid you should interrupt them- watch out!

Posted on: 2012/8/22 20:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 17:05
Group:
Registered Users
back to "wayne street issues," does anyone know what the actual situation is with the folks who live on wayne (and columbus) between jersey and barrow? It appears that some are retired older persons who generally spend their days outside, but there are a lot of younger people who also seem to spend a lot of time hanging out on the streets. Having just spent a month shopping around for apartments downtown, rents are not inexpensive. I think I am asking how it is possible that sizeable numbers of seemingly unemployed people can afford to live around there when this is not a cheap place to live.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The fact is that years ago when Hamilton Park was still somewhat sketchy it was the dog owners who slowly won back the park from the undesirable elements. The constant presence of walkers and their dogs very much unsettled those who basically used the park as a place to hole up and be out of sight of the cops. We were the eyes of the community and most of the riff-raff were afraid of our dogs. Nowadays the riff-raff stick out like a sore thumb and don't linger there too long. Of course, with the housing issues around the Wayne Street park it's going to take extraordinary efforts by residents to "occupy" the park and win it back for the kids and families.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I think I mentioned run down parks and called out lincoln park and pershing field but I forgot to mention the park by wayne street....

If only ever park was like newport green, the world would be a better place

Posted on: 2012/8/21 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
how does this have anythign to do with OWS?

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I've been called a 'faggot' while walking on Wayne and then the effer attempted to spit on me... it landed maybe a foot from me. In short - I don't walk through there any more.

How long ago did this incident occur, did you report it, mention it to your local block association and at your Captain's meeting ? This should have been nipped in the bud from day one. Sounds like another occupy situation like OWS. Incidents like these could incite a riot maybe that is when the city will enforce some rules around there.

It seems that these so called residents are taking over the park by occupying it's space for their own purpose.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 17:23
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Wayne street and the buildings next to the new Key food (The old C-town) are just reminders of how JCDTWN use to be.

There is need to fear it. I walk up and down that street without ever having a problem.

Feeling safe and being safe are two different things and no one is completely safe, no matter what road or street they are traveling on. Use common sense, and you will be fine.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
how does this have anythign to do with OWS?

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I've been called a 'faggot' while walking on Wayne and then the effer attempted to spit on me... it landed maybe a foot from me. In short - I don't walk through there any more.

How long ago did this incident occur, did you report it, mention it to your local block association and at your Captain's meeting ? This should have been nipped in the bud from day one. Sounds like another occupy situation like OWS. Incidents like these could incite a riot maybe that is when the city will enforce some rules around there.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 17:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/12 3:03
Group:
Registered Users
There was no need to preface 50 yards with "literally" as who in their right mind would have thought you where speaking figuratively after all!

Posted on: 2012/8/21 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
That block, specifically the north side, is a small pocket of lowlifes in an otherwise very nice area. I doubt they're dangerous but I purposefully avoid that block if I'm coming home late night and walk up Columbus or Mercer instead on the off chance someone wants to play tough guy that night.

I know there's been some attempted shootings at the playground and I'm surprised there isn't more being done to clean up that spot. In reality you'd mostly just be dealing with quality of life issues like trash being strewn everywhere, loud music, people loitering at all hours, etc. It's literally just that 50 yards from the playground to Jersey that's a problem.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:38
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've been called a 'faggot' while walking on Wayne and then the effer attempted to spit on me... it landed maybe a foot from me.

In short - I don't walk through there any more.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/27 23:37
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived on Wayne Street for several years now.
The mini-park as well as the apartments next to them are inhabited with (for the most part) unemployed, drunken, drug dealing lowlifes. Disturbing? Yes. However these lowlifes are generally harmless. Yes they may make lewd comments to attractive women walking down Wayne street but thats about the extent of it. Cars do get broken into in this area but no more or less than other areas of downtown Jersey City. There's a gay bar on the corner of Wayne and Grove but it's nothing raunchy. I pass by it every day on the way to the Path Station and it took me a few months to realize that there are always tons of guys dressed in business casual hanging out there but no women. Lowlifes do pass through the area from other areas so (just like any urban city) you have to keep you wits about you. There has been on rare occasion "gun play" on Wayne street. But the targets didn't live here and most likely did something to get targeted. Not too bad as you will find soccer moms pushing strollers down this street during the night. Grimier than Newport or Exchange Place but still a good neighborhood.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 9:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/21 6:49
Group:
Registered Users
I had a question around the neighbourhood on Wayne between Jersey and Barrow. I am quite close to moving there but am a little concerned about safety. I have driven along the street later in the evening (after 10pm) and there are many people outside near the Park and closer to Jersey Ave. Based on info on this board, there were issues in 2007-2010 - but has it now improved ? From people who live there - any issues in the recet past ? Thanks

Posted on: 2012/8/21 6:55

Park on Wayne
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if there are plans for that spot? The benches were removed, which slightly improved the noise/drinking/drug dealing at night, but I'm really praying that someone saws off those basketball hoops. Or at least installs those noise reducing panels they have in Hamilton park.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 21:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
I live next to the park and is why I have earplugs next to my bed.

I've called the police on them a couple times when my patients is really tested. The park is supposed to close at 10 but no one monitors it and kids play out there all night.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 2:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/30 1:48
Group:
Registered Users
its safe.it just might be loud because of the highschool in the area but perhaps you work days? the only scary block is my block. wayne between jersey and barrow.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 20:40

Wayne Street

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/7 3:59
Group:
Registered Users
I'm looking at moving to Wayne Street, between Brunswick and Monmouth and I'm just wondering what I could expect in terms of safety, etc.

Currently live near Union & Ocean, and trying to desperately to get out of there.

So I'm thinking no where else could be much worse :)

Posted on: 2010/8/23 17:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/14 0:51
Group:
Registered Users
Wayne Street Girl: You can't change ignorance. Punks on Wayne Street have been wreaking havoc for years, long before 99% of the people moved here. At least it's not as bad as it was in the 70's, however. My father and his family lived on that block in the 30's-40's, and was a wonderful neighborhood. Family still has photos. Since the late 60's/70's, Wayne Street, like most of downtown JC, was sketchy, some of those attributes remaining today. Those punks that poisoned a dog are not worthy of trying to establish relations in the name of getting hipster cred. Having grown up here, newcomers don't have insight to the thought process of locals, and are mostly clueless in that regard. And I don't mean newcomer locals. The past 10-15 years have seen much progress, but bad elements remain. Keep an eye on them, and report trouble to the police, or Stephen Fulop.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bm40 wrote:
not sure how much drug dealing is still going on there..i would bet there is more pill popping and wine guzzling among the white housewives of hamilton park..i dont quite understand hamilton park. it is a beautiful area but i thought people moved to jersey city for its convenience and to be in a "city" or urban area..the path is not that close and there isnt much to do..call dina reilly if you want more police activity on wayne st.

I live by Hamilton Park and have for 20+ years. "Pill popping"? That's funny, like it's one extreme or the other?
An extra 5 minute walk to the PATH to live in a nice area is reasonable. What exactly are you looking for as an "urban, city" experience? Because I think you may have found it on Wayne Street. Money talks and that is why there are more cops in Hamilton Park. BTW? One drug dealer is one too many and if you people want to allow it to continue then you do so at your own peril. I just find it HILARIOUS that people have prioritized dogs over drug dealers. Meanwhile, YOUR quality of life suffers. I think it's YOU who needs to call Officer Reilly.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bm40 wrote:
..i would bet there is more pill popping and wine guzzling among the white housewives of hamilton park...

Once again I loathe what this place has become.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bm40 wrote:
..i would bet there is more wine guzzling among the white housewives of hamilton park..

Hamilton Park: Jersey City's "Whine Country".

Posted on: 2010/8/1 16:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
not sure how much drug dealing is still going on there..i would bet there is more pill popping and wine guzzling among the white housewives of hamilton park..i dont quite understand hamilton park. it is a beautiful area but i thought people moved to jersey city for its convenience and to be in a "city" or urban area..the path is not that close and there isnt much to do..call dina reilly if you want more police activity on wayne st.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Ironic that one park is run by drug-dealers and there is barely a peep of protest. Just give them a "nod and a hello" and everything will be fine. If there are dogs on the grass in the other park (which is legal) they scream like hysterical children and wanna call out a SWAT team. Nice priorities.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bm40 wrote:
..teenagers linger at night and will play b-ball til 3am.....now they ask me how i am doing..

That's great! Next time you are talking with them, be sure to let them know there is a beautiful, brand new, full b-ball court over at Hamilton Park with bleachers, bright lights and a scoreboard!

And getting there couldn't be easier! Tell them to hang a right at Jersey Ave and just keep walking until you get to the big park where the dog owner's are fighting...

Posted on: 2010/8/1 15:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i live above the bodega on wayne between jersey and barrow...unemployed and disabled crazies hang outside the park all day but everyone is gone by 7 or 8pm..teenagers linger at night and will play b-ball til 3am but i dont think you will get messed with..i got a bunch of cat calls when i first moved in but once they realized i lived here they backed off..now they ask me how i am doing..if living on this block means your 1000 sq. ft 2 bedroom is going to be $1000 a month rather then $2000 i would say its totally worth it..2 blocks to the path and many good restaurants/shopping..

Posted on: 2010/7/31 14:53

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017