Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Judge Gallipoli brings case for building new courthouse to Hudson freeholders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
im not saying this is beautiful architecture worth saving but is the problem really the building or the complete lack of city maintenance for it? What happens when they tear it down? Another giant parking lot i assume? just saying.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 19:37

Re: Judge Gallipoli brings case for building new courthouse to Hudson freeholders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I've always refered to that building as "60s Soviet chic."

Posted on: 2012/8/8 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone here had jury duty in that building? It's fun when only one of the 6 elevators work, yet 200-300 people are all arriving at the same time, to go up to the 6th (if I remember correctly) floor to wait to be picked. And it's even better if you get on a jury, and you have to fight with all of that - and actually have a courtroom full of people waiting around for you because you've been stuck downstairs for half an hour.

Oh, and the men's bathroom had one urinal, and the stall just had a hole (no commode).

The bathrooms in the jury room were only slightly more functional.

I could go on and on, but I was honestly surprised at how run-down the place is.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't seen the studies. Is it feasible to do repairs in the administration building? It is very convenient to have the 2 buildings next to one another. And although the administration building isn't nearly as attractive as the historic courthouse, I actually enjoy the contrast of the historic building with the International style of the administration building.

I know a lot of people dislike Modern architecture. And I admit the Administration building is pretty ugly. But it is not a bad example of the style and I like the contrast of the two side by side.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Light looks green for freeholders resolution to begin property dealings for new courthouse

August 08, 2012, 3:00 AM
By Agustin C. Torres/The Jersey Journal

The Hudson County Board of Freeholders is expected to approve a resolution Thursday authorizing the county Improvement Authority to begin negotiating for the acquisition of property for the construction of a new courthouse in Jersey City.

A new facility will replace the courts located in the county Administration Building at 595 Newark Ave. but not those in the adjacent William J. Brennan Courthouse, which is listed on both the state and federal register of historic places.

Former Superior Court Assignment Judge Maurice Gallipoli told the freeholders in 2010 of leaking problems at the Brennan Courthouse, which also contains the Civil Division and of the need to replace the Administration Building's court facilities, which houses the Criminal and Family divisions.

The freeholders have commissioned studies since 1988 that have labeled the administration building inadequate, calling for it to be replaced. In 1993 the projected cost was $60 million. In 2010, Gallipoli said the cost is more in the range of $291 million to $366 million. He asked the freeholders to at least agree on a site for the new courthouse and establish a realistic timetable for construction.

The location of interest for a new courthouse has not been revealed but county sources say there are tracts of land available not far from the present court complex, near Central Avenue. Any eventual purchase of property will be made on recommendation by the county executive and a vote by the freeholders.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... green_for_freehold_1.html

Posted on: 2012/8/8 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Just because we are facing an "economic climate that is hurting all municipalities and government" doesn't mean we don't need to invest in our infrastructure.

"Investment" is literally the last adjective that could be used to describe the construction of a new court house. I think a bunch of concrete bunkers and double-wide trailers would do just fine.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
They are not talking about knocking down the historic building, which is, in part why finding a new suitable site for the courthouse is the first issue that must be resolved.

Just because we are facing an "economic climate that is hurting all municipalities and government" doesn't mean we don't need to invest in our infrastructure. It was determined the buildings were inadequate 17 years ago; the country enjoyed the longest period of economic expansion in the 1990s and still they didn't build new facilities. Yes, the county should have built the facilities then. But they didn't. And now they are even worse.

Also, the building most talked about as needing either refurbishment or demolition is the court facilities next door:

Google Maps

Posted on: 2010/4/22 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
The Criminal and Family one does need to go, but I don't think a new site is the answer. It's good that they are next to each other.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
This building is magnificent I hope they never tear down this structure. When I attend the monthly folk music gigs I am always in awe if the Sistine like ceiling with its awesome paintings of the angels and pictures of the Zodiac signs. Teddy Conrad, Morris Pesin, and J. Owen Grundy would turn in their graves if this building was razed, and their efforts would have been for naught.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Letter: Give this judge a new address
By The Jersey Journal
April 22, 2010, 12:01AM

Resized Image
Reena Rose Sibayan/The Jersey JournalThe Brennan Courthouse in Jersey City is undergoing masonry and roof work to address water leak problems.

How fitting that imperious Judge Maurice Gallipoli, Hudson County assignment judge, demands that the county build a new courthouse in this economic climate that is hurting all municipalities and governments.

As if the restored Brennan Courthouse is inadequate for his majesty!
Based on this philosophy, we should replace all historic buildings like the White House or Independence Hall. I remember when the late freeholder Morris Longo fought to preserve this county treasure. Retired New Jersey Supreme Court Justice Marie Garibaldi, still a Hudson County resident, found the building fitting for her own personal office.

I think repairs can take care of all that is needed for that beautiful structure to continue to inspire the residents of Hudson County, if not the top judge.

Perhaps Judge Gallipoli can request that Supreme Court Justice Stuart Rabner transfer him to palatial quarters in some other county that is suitable for him. Or maybe the people of Hudson County, who pay Gallipoli's salary, can do that for him.

REV. ALEXANDER M. SANTORA,
HOBOKEN

Posted on: 2010/4/22 5:15

Judge Gallipoli brings case for building new courthouse to Hudson freeholders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Hudson County Superior Court Assignment Judge Maurice Gallipoli wants a new courthouse, and he's threatening to take his case to the chief judge of the state Supreme Court to get it built.

"The county is statutorily responsible for providing suitable facilities and security to the Superior Court for the totality of its operations here in Hudson County," Gallipoli told the Board of Freeholders at its April 6 caucus meeting.

Gallipoli spoke about the need to address problems at the historic Brennan Courthouse on Newark Avenue in Jersey City, which houses the Civil Division. He also reminded the board of the need to replace the adjacent administration building, which houses the Criminal and Family divisions.

"Quite simply, conditions have become intolerable, they defy correction," Gallipoli said.

The issue is not a new one. The freeholders have commissioned studies since 1988 that have deemed the administration building inadequate and called for it to be replaced.

Gallipoli said when the board endorsed building a new courthouse in 1993 the projected cost was $60 million. He said that cost is now mushroomed to $291 million to $366 million.

The judge threatened to take his concerns to Chief Justice Stuart Rabner and asked the freeholders to at least agree on a site for the new courthouse and establish a realistic timetable for construction.

Gallipoli also showed images of damage caused by leaks and burst pipes at the Brennan Courthouse.

Helena Ruman, an architect who works for the county, told the board the water issues are being addressed through ongoing projects. The board also approved a $1.7 million window replacement contract last week.

Freeholder Bill O'Dea urged the board to decide on a site over the next three to six months and then figure out how to finance the project.

Freeholder Albert Cifelli said a new standing committee would meet monthly to discuss the courthouse issue.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 5:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017