Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City cop kills pit bull after it bites woman
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Resized Image

"The damage above is reportedly the work of four pit bull terriers were were trying to reach a stray kitten camped out in the engine compartment of a Dodge minivan belonging to the dogs' owner."

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20120 ... dyssey=mod_sectionstories

No different from other dogs, huh?

A relative of mine has two German Shepherds who as puppies ate a pizza sized hole in the drywall when left unattended for a few hours, so while Pits do have more powerfull jaws, chewing large holes in stuff not unique at all.

I'd wager that drywall is a tad easier to get through than steel and galvanized rubber.

That bumper is not steel, it is plastic. I wouldn't be surprised if the fender is also plastic.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
A relative of mine has two German Shepherds who as puppies ate a pizza sized hole in the drywall when left unattended for a few hours, so while Pits do have more powerfull jaws, chewing large holes in stuff not unique at all.

National Geographic measured "bite force" of various dogs and came up with the following:

Mastiff: 556 pounds
Grey wolf: 406 pounds
Rottweiler: 328 pounds
American bulldog: 305 pounds
AWD: 317 pounds
German shepherd: 238 pounds
Apbt: 235 pounds
Dutch shepherd: 231 Pounds
Malinois: 195 pounds

Also have a look at the Swedish study under http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/9333832/1/

APBTs are not that special when it comes to jaw strength and bite force.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FDS_JC wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Resized Image

"The damage above is reportedly the work of four pit bull terriers were were trying to reach a stray kitten camped out in the engine compartment of a Dodge minivan belonging to the dogs' owner."

I'd wager that drywall is a tad easier to get through than steel and galvanized rubber.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 22:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/9/4 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps it is time to start fining or even jailing negligent owners of dangerous animals.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, it's falling on deaf ears!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/8/28 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

No dog owner is ever surprised at their dog's ability to chew stuff up. So, yes - I'd expect most med-large sized dogs capable of the same. It wouldn't be newsworthy if it didn't have the "pit bull" caption.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/8/28 0:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
FDS_JC: The practical difference is that when a chihuahua decides you're the one to bite, he can't tear your head off and a pit can.

I think FDS_JC's point was pits aren't the only breed that can be dangerous, not that every breed is equally dangerous. Lots of breeds have the capability of killing or seriously hurting people, including

- German Shepherds
- Any type of Mastiff
- Dobermans
- American Bulldogs
- Rottweilers
- Most bull terrier breeds
- Cane Corsos

Heck even family favorites such as labs, retrievers and boxers could cause serious injuries.

Exactly what I was thinking. Pits are more attractive to idiots who want a tough looking dog, so probably more of them are raised wrong, compared to other breeds. Being attacked by a german shepherd could be just as bad, but there just aren't as many wannabe Michael Vick's out there breeding Shepherds.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/8/8 19:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/25 4:58
Group:
Registered Users
Well,Brooklyn,as for me spewing my narrow minded crap{as you so gently put it} I have good reason.There are idiots out there that own other breeds of dogs besides pit bulls and most of those dogs still don't get that violent reputation as much as pit bulls do.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mjcbklyn wrote:

with a name like 'fedupman' i'd expect nothing less than the narrow minded crap you spewed here.

That is just really silly. That would be like me saying that your name is proof that you are an annoying jerky hipster from brooklyn.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 20:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
right, it comes down to the irresponsibility of people. that was basically my point. and i do stand by what i said about knowing pit bulls who are not aggressive, and obviously i can't predict their entire lives but they have responsible guardians who know them well. sadly too many idiots can easily get a pet.

i don't however agree that any specific breed is inherently violent and guaranteed to lash out at some point. i have known some nasty small dogs that bit multiple children. they probably should never have been around children in the first place, the people in charge of the dog should know better.

http://doggonesafe.blogspot.com/2012/ ... arn-to-read-dog-body.html

maybe you should talk to the folks at liberty humane about the dogs they care for.

with a name like 'fedupman' i'd expect nothing less than the narrow minded crap you spewed here.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 16:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/25 4:58
Group:
Registered Users
If any dog could be violent why do pit bulls have that biggest reputation.Simple.Because they are the most violent.With all the cuter gentler dogs out there why would anyone choose a pit bull for a pet. I'm glad the cop shot it as it could have done serious harm to the woman and child.These stupid owners should be hypervigilent when it comes to watching their pit bulls otherwise they could have some lawsuit on their hands.

Posted on: 2012/8/3 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mjcbklyn wrote:

my point was really just how unfortunate it is that people abuse and exploit these animals and they get stuck with this reputation.

that may have been your point, but your words were, "i know many sweet, loving pitbulls who would not "lose their temper" and lash out because they are loved and properly cared for."

and it's that attitude of "but my dog would NEVER hurt anyone!" that leads to slack oversight and....dogs hurting someone.

in the pit rescue community you find plenty of well-meaning people who truly believe that their love and affection is all a dog needs to become the perfect pet. my dog had his ear nearly removed by one such success story. the pit owner was almost as horrified as I was, because of course, her sweet dog "had never done that before."

they're dogs. not robots. you can train them and love them, but you cannot predict their every move. and if your dog has jaws that can crush a can, it is your responsibility - yours, not the dog's, not your neighbor's, not the cop's - to make sure that animal is secure.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 5:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
whatever, i obviously did not say no dog in the history of dogs would ever do that. but i don't know how accurate it is to use the word "temper," not sure that it applies to dogs as we think of it with humans. and with kids you have to be cautious. some dogs just don't react well to them. and kids need to know how to act around dogs. obviously some dogs have aggression issues, i see dogs out being walked with muzzles, and while it sucks to have your dog need one, those people are taking responsibility by doing that, because god forbid their dog does bite someone, they might be forced to put the dog down.

nice how sweet and loving is "crap." i don't know many dogs i'd describe as complete or partial assholes. applies to plenty of people though.

my point was really just how unfortunate it is that people abuse and exploit these animals and they get stuck with this reputation.

Posted on: 2012/8/2 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mjcbklyn wrote:
its really enraging and unfortunate that these dogs get such a bad rap, its not their fault. i know many sweet, loving pitbulls who would not "lose their temper" and lash out because they are loved and properly cared for.

this is bullsh*t. ANY dog, pampered or not, can lose its temper and lash out.

my mellow shih tzu enjoyed an entire decade without showing her temper, until my nephew discovered her last nerve and she bit him. it was a tough lesson for everyone (never leave a dog and small child unsupervised, ever) but that lesson would have been devastating had my dog possessed the jaw strength of a pit bull.

so stop with the "sweet, loving" crap already. they're dogs. some are great, some are assholes, most are a little bit of both.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 15:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
its really enraging and unfortunate that these dogs get such a bad rap, its not their fault. i know many sweet, loving pitbulls who would not "lose their temper" and lash out because they are loved and properly cared for.

dogs can be rehabilitated from aggressive or fighting dogs to become the sweetest companions you'll ever know. those lucky enough to have that opportunity, at least. its irresponsible people who want a dog as a status symbol or for "protection" or whatever who are to blame. not to mention people breed pit bulls and sell them to just about anyone regardless of if they are fit to care for an animal or not. i often see female pitbulls being walked who look like they have been bred at least once. there is nothing to stop them though, and dog and cat overpopulation is a horrible problem, millions of animals are either gassed or euthanized every year.

it all comes down to people's selfishness and irresponsible behavior. thats why there is such a crisis of homeless animals in this country, shelters are full and overwhelmed, etc.

sadly the animal always has to pay the real price for the stupidity of some humans.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 12:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
FDS_JC: The practical difference is that when a chihuahua decides you're the one to bite, he can't tear your head off and a pit can.

I think FDS_JC's point was pits aren't the only breed that can be dangerous, not that every breed is equally dangerous. Lots of breeds have the capability of killing or seriously hurting people, including

- German Shepherds
- Any type of Mastiff
- Dobermans
- American Bulldogs
- Rottweilers
- Most bull terrier breeds
- Cane Corsos

Heck even family favorites such as labs, retrievers and boxers could cause serious injuries.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

this. a thousand times this.
every breed of dog can lose its temper, sure. but when that happens, I'd like to be standing next to the beagle.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 5:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Like most cases with Pits or any dog that can become dangerous it is the owners fault.

I wonder which one of this ladies great family members is the owner of these dogs. I'm willing to bet since he was never named he is one of the locked up ones.

The one convicted of murder known for selling drugs and robbery that too many witnesses were scared to testify against so he only received 11 years?
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8644

The one locked up as a "street level supervisor" for a drug operation in Greenville which he is member of the Sex Money Murder Bloods gang? (A female member of this family was also arrested)
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=269599#forumpost269599

The one locked up for assault after a fight involving family members?
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... 2/06/police_briefs_1.html

This family is full of career criminals.

+1! You win the internet today, narrowly edging out "No pitbull ever shoveled my sidewalk."

FDS_JC: The practical difference is that when a chihuahua decides you're the one to bite, he can't tear your head off and a pit can. And who cares whether it's a pure pit or not, it's the physical characteristics combined with a robotic determination that make them so dangerous when some thug trains them to be viscous.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 0:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Whenever there's an incident involving a "pit" some idiot has to comment on how they should be banned. In terms of aggression on people they're no worse than many other breeds. Unfortunately they're a popular breed for another kind of idiot to own, and many owners have no idea how to properly train or care for any kind of dog. It also bears mentioning that not every dog labeled a "pitbull" in these report is actually a pitbull.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 0:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Like most cases with Pits or any dog that can become dangerous it is the owners fault.

I wonder which one of this ladies great family members is the owner of these dogs. I'm willing to bet since he was never named he is one of the locked up ones.

The one convicted of murder known for selling drugs and robbery that too many witnesses were scared to testify against so he only received 11 years?
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8644

The one locked up as a "street level supervisor" for a drug operation in Greenville which he is member of the Sex Money Murder Bloods gang? (A female member of this family was also arrested)
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=269599#forumpost269599

The one locked up for assault after a fight involving family members?
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... 2/06/police_briefs_1.html

This family is full of career criminals.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
The problem isn't the breed, it's the thugs/idiots that own them.

I was fostering a young pit for 6 months and she was the sweetest dog I've ever known, and never showed the least bit of aggression toward a person.

Go after the owners, not the dogs.

Quote:

JamesBeard wrote:
How many incidents must we have before people wake up and realize that Pit Bulls should not exist in our city?

Posted on: 2012/7/30 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
"Rush said the dogs meant no harm to the woman who police say got bit, but the woman panicked and screamed and that further excited the dogs.

?They were playing but she had no idea they were playing,? Rush said. ?I kept telling her, they ain?t going to bite you.? "

oh, eff-you, lady, and your too-many effing playful dogs. my biggest complaint with pitbulls is that, in this town especially, they are the number-one dog choice of idiots.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
My neighbors have a pitpull. So far, it has destroyed two screen and set the alarm off twice (slamming against the window). It was trying to eat my tenant's cat.

I am so glad they are moving today.. taking Dogzilla with them.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 18:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
How many incidents must we have before people wake up and realize that Pit Bulls should not exist in our city?

Posted on: 2012/7/30 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
No pitbull ever shoveled my sidewalk.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
The dog was never a problem. That's like when you see on TV neighbors saying the man next door cannot be a murderer. He was so nice. He even shovled my sidewalk last winter.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 16:45

Jersey City cop kills pit bull after it bites woman
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City cop kills pit bull after it bites woman, police say

July 30, 2012, 3:03 AM
By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City police shot and killed a pit bull yesterday afternoon after the dog attacked a woman and her child, an official said.

But a relative of the dog?s owner insisted yesterday the dog was just being playful.

Officers were called to Wegman Parkway near Van Cleef Street around 1:35 p.m. on a disturbance complaint involving three pit bulls, Police Lt. Edgar Martinez said.

As police were arriving, three unleashed pit bulls charged at the woman and her young child and one of the dogs bit the woman on her arm, Martinez said.

A police officer fired multiple shots at the dog that bit the woman and the animal collapsed in the driveway of an apartment building, Martinez said.

Jersey City Animal Control and Emergency Services Unit officers responded to the scene and secured the other two dogs, which were unharmed, reports said.

The woman was treated at the Jersey City Medical Center for the bite to her arm and the child was also taken for observation after being traumatized by the incident, Martinez said.

The police officer was also treated for post-traumatic stress after the shooting, Martinez said.

Martha Rush, whose nephew owns the dogs, told The Jersey Journal yesterday that she was moving the dogs from the backyard of her home to the garage in the front when the dogs got loose.

Rush said the dogs meant no harm to the woman who police say got bit, but the woman panicked and screamed and that further excited the dogs.

?They were playing but she had no idea they were playing,? Rush said. ?I kept telling her, they ain?t going to bite you.?

Rush said a police officer arrived, fired a couple of warning shots in the air and then fired at the male dog, Simba, several times. Neighbors said around five or six shots were fired. Rush said she did not see the dog bite the woman.

Rush and another relative brought the two other female dogs, Nicky and Free, into the house, they said.

?The dogs were no problem at all, they were only barking,? said Fakher Fahmy, owner of a neighboring property. ?I feel sorry for the dogs.?

Family members said they are distraught about Simba?s death.

?That was our family dog,? said Ty?Jahnal Rush, 12, a cousin of the owner. ?He was a good dog to us ever since we got him. He played with us. He never bit us.?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_cop_kills_pit_bull.html

Posted on: 2012/7/30 16:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017