Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Lets Rally To Keep Police Presence Down Here Since Police Office Is Moving From Erie Street
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:Living in JC is pretty great, but would be better if folks would do a little research into neighborhood goings-on before sounding the alarm. There are plenty of legitimate causes for concern in this city. screaming that the sky is falling when it's just a little rain only serves to distract attention from real, possibly fixable problems.

+1

Posted on: 2012/7/14 2:28

Re: Lets Rally To Keep Police Presence Down Here Since Police Office Is Moving From Erie Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JamesBeard wrote:
Quote:

Onthemove wrote:
the other precinct is also located on 7th Street. Now they are moving.

The OP made it sound like the the 7th Street station was moving too.

What a bunch of rude jerks on this site. No wonder living in Jersey City sucks with neighbors like the posters on here.

Here is where we will have to agree to disagree. Living in JC is pretty great, but would be better if folks would do a little research into neighborhood goings-on before sounding the alarm. There are plenty of legitimate causes for concern in this city. screaming that the sky is falling when it's just a little rain only serves to distract attention from real, possibly fixable problems.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 5:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Onthemove wrote:
the other precinct is also located on 7th Street. Now they are moving.

The OP made it sound like the the 7th Street station was moving too.

What a bunch of rude jerks on this site. No wonder living in Jersey City sucks with neighbors like the posters on here.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
One more inconvenience. Before when your car got stolen, you could at least walk to the precinct, station, hovel, or whatever you feel like calling it. Now when your car gets stolen, you'll have to chug it to Journal Square. It's probably a strategic move in hopes less people downtown will report crime because of the hassle it will take to get to the place where you need to file the report.

or....you could walk over to 7th street, where the downtown police station has been and will remain.

reading is fun.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 23:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
One more inconvenience. Before when your car got stolen, you could at least walk to the precinct, station, hovel, or whatever you feel like calling it. Now when your car gets stolen, you'll have to chug it to Journal Square. It's probably a strategic move in hopes less people downtown will report crime because of the hassle it will take to get to the place where you need to file the report.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Don't you ever get the feeling they are going to twist the statistics any way they want so the cops and our lamebrain Mayor look good ?

Posted on: 2012/7/11 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Neverleft,

You won't see them sharing that kind of detailed info because we'd then ask hard questions, like "why was that crime not charged as a felony?" or "what about that string of unsolved burglaries?" or "you've gotten calls about violence at that bar every night, what have you done about it?"

Posted on: 2012/7/11 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Just one more thing with my above JCPD website post. (I missed the dang edit deadline) The old JCPD website had half page descriptions of each district. District population, schools, hospitals, places of interest, shopping area?s, historical area?s, district boundaries, etc. Now is has squat or close to squat. Hey JCPD webmaster put back the meaty descriptions ..please.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
If you didn?t know..this is the ?new and improved? JCPD website.

http://www.njjcpd.org/

These are the JCPD ?offices? around the city.

http://www.njjcpd.org/node/8

(I guess the term ?precinct? is pass?, especially since most cops now make as much as the suits on Wall Street. )

Here are the JC COMPSTAT reports by month and precinct?err I mean district..err I mean office.

http://www.njjcpd.org/node/5

(interesting the older reports went missing with the move to the ?new and improved? website. But with a little push from the online community they reappeared.) (also interesting are the number of monthly arrests at the bottom of some of the reports?what the heck? Near 700 a month?)

Wouldn?t it be great if the JCPD website had a real-time or close to real-time crime blog? I swear one was promised by the Chief, maybe not. Anyway just think if the JCPD posted the crimes with location and time we could all log in every day and see what was really going on in JC. Or maybe even get a daily email with the log of crimes for just your hood.

It would also be a help to bring down crime in JC. How many times have you heard months later that a house or apartment was robbed around the corner from you? Or even right next door? (people get to know your neighbors) If you knew the day it happened you may have just witnessed something strange in your hood that would help catch the thugs. A description to give to the coppers or at least you would know to go down to Home Depot and buy a stronger lock.

The crime blog doesn?t have to give full addresses?and a clerk wouldn?t need to be hired to retype the crimes into a database. Just pull some of the data off of whatever database the cops are typing their reports into. Have some kind of filtering code to block out the actual street number of the address. Just pull off a few things..Crime , location, date, time, description. Something like this?..

Crime: Apartment burglary, Location: 4** Grand Street, Date: Monday July 9, 2012, Time: between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Description: Stolen items include a 58 inch television and assorted Xbox games.

Crime: Stolen car, Location: 2** Westside Ave, Date: Tuesday July 10, 2012, Time: between 10 pm and 11 am, Description: Make: Ford Taurus, Plate number : ABC123. Color : faded blue, Year: 1990, missing side window and duct tape holding bumper on

Crime: Stolen car, Location: 5*** Sussex St, Date: Wednesday July 11, 2012, Tme: between 12 pm and 7 am, Description: Make: BMW 750i , Plate number : IAMRICH. Color : black, Year: 2012

Someone in the area could read that and say holy crap I saw a guy walking down the street with a big tv on his back. Or shi* a guy tried selling me Xbox games over on Monmouth. Or hey a stripped black 2012 BMW 750i with a plate # IAMRICH is in a lot where I let my dog do his duty.

Get the idea?????

JCPD just do it?give a few bucks to an out of work IT guy whose job was outsourced to India and let him lose.

If you don?t want to go the hi-tech route because not all of the 250K people of JC are connected. (or know what a computer or smart phone is) Then buy some daily space in the JJ and print the information in a JCPD crime section.

Let?s do some math from looking at the JC COMPSTAT reports for 2102 JC is averaging around 500 crimes city wide a month. 500 crimes / 30 days = 16 ?. so around 16 crimes a day in good old JC. The Jersey Journal Police Beat only picks one or two crime stories a week the ones that interest Charles and Michelangelo. We want to see ALL of the ....robberies, burglaries, car theft?s, assaults, etc.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
You might want to join the neighborhood watch or the van vorst park association to see what is already being done in the area to improve crime. The building on Erie is an administrative office where they keep all the police reports. The actual police station is a 7th street. There are very few actual cops at the Erie street location so it's no big loss. If the city has come up with a solution to consolidate administrative offices and save money without cutting actual police officers and pay then I'm all for it.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Yea i'm with regular on this one. Quite honestly, you just screwed up. You mistook the administrative offices for some sort of precinct, and it isn't. It's nice that you "just wanted to help out the neighborhood", but what you wanted has no bearing on improvement. There's no harm in feeling like you should help, but figure out what needs help first.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Onthemove wrote:
To Everyone, I simply created an opportunity for our neighborhood to be safe. All of you have opinions on whether its a precinct or not and this other stuff that doesn't forward the conversation if we should create a way to have more protection in the neighborhood. Its no wonder things happen if the only thing we can is TALK ABOUT THE SITUATION and not given an alternative thought that we can get with. It doesn't have to be the thought I came up with, but something that forwards our protection in the neighborhood. Does anyone have any suggestions on that? I don't spend time on what I like or don't like about something. If it doesn't sound right you offer another solution; not arguments. it doesn't help anyone and its very petty.

All opinions are welcome but no need for condescending remarks.

I hope you all enjoy your day and I am looking for people who would like to support police protection in the area. Any ideas anyone.

I really don't know what you are looking to do. We are not losing the district building and we are not losing any police officers. Despite what you heard the HQ building never served as a deterrent to crime. Any real criminal knows that.

If you want to do something proactive, join the neighborhood watch. If you want an increase in police presence or force, be ready to pay for it through even higher taxes, because as it stands you're not going to get it.

I grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods in NYC crimewise, and believe you me, the level of crime in JC just doesn't seem to compare. I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything about it, but we do live in a city and crime isn't at all that bad. I'll couch that with I haven't looked at the stats lately so I don't know if it is a real or apparent increase in crime, but it still beats growing up in East New York.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 0:54
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JamesBeard wrote:
There should be at least two real police stations downtown, one near Hamilton Park and one near Grove Street.

Uh James, the East District police station is on 7th between Erie and Manila. Close enough to Hamilton Park for ya ?

Posted on: 2012/7/11 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JamesBeard wrote:

There should be at least two real police stations downtown, one near Hamilton Park and one near Grove Street.

You have to be kidding me. Two stations in one district within 10 blocks of each other? Even NYC doesn't have their stations that close to each other. Check that. I don't think any city in the world has stations that close to each other.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 0:02
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JamesBeard wrote:
Is there going to be no police station downtown?

We need a place that you can physically go to when there is a problem and always get a cop. If you are mugged of your cellphone, what are you supposed to do? Go all the way to Journal Square to report it?

try using the google next time - http://goo.gl/maps/kBgx - before ranting.http://goo.gl/maps/kBgx

Posted on: 2012/7/10 22:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Is there going to be no police station downtown?

We need a place that you can physically go to when there is a problem and always get a cop. If you are mugged of your cellphone, what are you supposed to do? Go all the way to Journal Square to report it?

Posted on: 2012/7/10 21:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/10 15:48
Group:
Registered Users
So lets see I make a suggestion about police protection in the area and instead of suggestions I am now looked at as a troll or whatever. This is pure ignorance. What happened to the subject of ways to support people downtown and their protection.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Onthemove wrote:
To Everyone, I simply created an opportunity for our neighborhood to be safe. All of you have opinions on whether its a precinct or not and this other stuff that doesn't forward the conversation if we should create a way to have more protection in the neighborhood. Its no wonder things happen if the only thing we can is TALK ABOUT THE SITUATION and not given an alternative thought that we can get with. It doesn't have to be the thought I came up with, but something that forwards our protection in the neighborhood. Does anyone have any suggestions on that? I don't spend time on what I like or don't like about something. If it doesn't sound right you offer another solution; not arguments. it doesn't help anyone and its very petty.

I hope you all enjoy your day and I am looking for people who would like to support police protection in the area. Any ideas anyone.
tool or troll?

Posted on: 2012/7/10 1:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/7/9 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Onthemove wrote:
And semantics on whether its a precinct or not doesn't really matter. Do you really get caught up in certain things.

If you're going to rally the troops for a cause, you need to get all your facts and details correct. That includes that major details and facts as well as the little ones. If you can't do that, you can't expect people to take you seriously.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Onthemove wrote:
You know I just signed up for JC List today and was simply saying something. This does not need to be a forum to correct people.....

When we speak lets speak from a place of solution instead of trashing someone else's opinion.

wow. you ARE new here.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 5:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
if having police hdqrs downtown is a deterrent, then they really need in bergen lafayette, west bergen, greenville

Posted on: 2012/7/9 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Police HQ at 8 Erie was never a deterrent to any crime. It was an administrative facility with no patrol staff. Most of the top cops at that location left the City for their homes in the burbs each day at 4 PM.

You'll have to be "content" with the East District police facility on 7th St.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 1:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You know I just signed up for JC List today and was simply saying something. This does not need to be a forum to correct people. Everyone has an opinion. I would like it to saty. If many of you feel otherwise that is fine. I live VERY VERY VERY close to it almost on top of it for over 10 years and yes I agree with you all in some ways and some ways no. I have seen first hand that people knowing its there choose not to commit a crime. And semantics on whether its a precinct or not doesn't really matter. Do you really get caught up in certain things.

The bottom line is I have heard young people aay as they walk by better not do anything don't know who is ther or who is not there. A traffic stop verses somewhat getting hurt, stabbed or shot are two different things.

I have, too, had officers let things go. Frankly, I rather have presence than no presence. So I have my opinion you have yours.

When we speak lets speak from a place of solution instead of trashing someone else's opinion.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 1:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Onthemove wrote:
Well they are getting rid of the police presence on Erie Street and that does help the neighborhood with knowing the other precinct is also located on 7th Street. Now they are moving.

One of the detectives suggested we petition the new condos going up since they will have stores one of those stores are made into substation for police officers. What are your thoughts. We are already having break ins in Hamilton Park Area.

It is not a precinct. It is police headquarters. And JCPD does not have precincts, it has districts.

Along the lines of "already having break ins", crime is nothing new to the neighborhood. There have always been break-ins and will continue to be break-ins. You make it sound as if crime has never existed in DTJC.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
I've witnessed drug deals go down in broad daylight less than half a block away (and in view) of that precinct. The homeless druggies live in their shopping cart not even 2 blocks away. I haven't seen that precinct help the community when they are there. What's the difference if it moves?

On more than one occasion, I've watched as Chief Comey and assorted cronies stood idly by as car after car ran the stop sign at Bay and Erie.

Also, at the weekly collision at the First/Erie stop sign, the giant SUV parked in the red, blocking the view (and contributing to the accident) would invariably have a JCP placard in the windshield.

I for one will not miss the "safety" of the police presence on Erie.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 21:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Its interesting we could go back and forth as many do on JC List. We live very very close to that precinct. I tell you yes you are right it does happen. I will tell you though that it doesn't happen as much as the fact that people don't see the 7th precinct and there are problems. THe police can't be everywhere. I would rather have something than to have nothing and quite frankly people begin to go as they say "BUCK WILD". Many of us have lived downtown for over 20 years or are jersey city natives. If we have the attitude something is not worth having, we will attract that same energy and sentiment from others. So I don't disagree with you, yet I think it still warrants having it there or things will be out of control more than you think. I walk pass here every day.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I've witnessed drug deals go down in broad daylight less than half a block away (and in view) of that precinct. The homeless druggies live in their shopping cart not even 2 blocks away. I haven't seen that precinct help the community when they are there. What's the difference if it moves?

Posted on: 2012/7/8 18:58

Lets Rally To Keep Police Presence Down Here Since Police Office Is Moving From Erie Street

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well they are getting rid of the police presence on Erie Street and that does help the neighborhood with knowing the other precinct is also located on 7th Street. Now they are moving.

One of the detectives suggested we petition the new condos going up since they will have stores one of those stores are made into substation for police officers. What are your thoughts. We are already having break ins in Hamilton Park Area.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 18:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017