Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Surf City Restaurant & Megabar
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/22 22:59
Group:
Registered Users
Went there a couple of years ago when they first opened, I was wondering how they would change the Sand Bar space. Overall it looked like a good place to come with the family eat and relax but the food was just bad everything was fried and greasy.
Would like to go back once and if they change their menu, we need a good seafood place/crab shack here in JC.

Posted on: 2014/5/10 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Surf City Re-Opens for the Season on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Posted on: 2014/5/10 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Faith wrote:
Low key fun place to hang out could have quickly become complete mayhem had it not been for their proactive bouncers who protected us against a band of gypsies that showed up and tried to thieve our IPads from our kids. It was the atmosphere that made us feel comfortable enough to bring our kids there that saved us. Hats off to the security there! 5 more minutes and the S.C.U.M. (as their boat was titled) would have been off with our IPads and who knows maybe a kid. Crazy but just sayin. Surf City is and was great! Just a shame our beautiful night had to be ruined by an ugly confrontation. Luv u JC!

THIS.....hahahahaha

Posted on: 2012/8/25 7:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/25 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Low key fun place to hang out could have quickly become complete mayhem had it not been for their proactive bouncers who protected us against a band of gypsies that showed up and tried to thieve our IPads from our kids. It was the atmosphere that made us feel comfortable enough to bring our kids there that saved us. Hats off to the security there! 5 more minutes and the S.C.U.M. (as their boat was titled) would have been off with our IPads and who knows maybe a kid. Crazy but just sayin. Surf City is and was great! Just a shame our beautiful night had to be ruined by an ugly confrontation. Luv u JC!

Posted on: 2012/8/25 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Was there for a 2nd time last night. I'm starting to be convinced that none of the food is a good value (or even good, for that matter) except the peel & eat shrimp, which is the one thing on the menu that requires virtually no preparation.

The mixed drinks are small and weak compared to what you receive for the money at other establishments in town.

It's a fine place for drinks and gatherings; probably the nicest outdoor atmosphere in Jersey City, just stay away from the kitchen until they either lower their prices or offer bigger portions.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Checked it out last night. Pound of peel and eat shrimp and a G&T. Sat at the rail watching the boats. Music not too loud, and heard at least 3 Jimmy Buffet songs. It was a very pleasant dinner. Lots of people pulling up in boats, mult-generational family parties. We plan to come back with friends.

Posted on: 2012/7/15 12:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
The place really hasn't changed much since the Sand Bar layout. In fact it hasn't changed at all, except for a paint job, new bar and a frozen drink trailer. Minimal renovations. The music wasn't fist pumping when I was there at least. The food I had was decent and reasonably priced. Typical bar food with more seafood options. Much better selection of beer from the Sand Bar (craft beer or not). The one thing it doesn't have is "Key West attitude." When I picture Key West, I envision calm beaches, drinks on the beach and overall a pretty relaxing atmosphere. I don't see huge, intimidating bouncers every 10 feet eyeballing everyone as if they work for the TSA. There were probably 25 security guards there. Maybe if the crowds stay tame and they truly don't allow it to become the Sand Bar II, they might lighten up on the security and the overall mood might be a bit more relaxed.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Well, the Surf City bar is run by the same people behind the Beer Garden and their policy is posted right by the entrance: Dogs (20 lbs, or under) are welcome. Having said that, they will turn a blind eye to a dog that is above that weight limit based on your attitude, whether or not they know you, or recognize you, how crowded the place is, and how well-behaved your dog appears to be. To date, I have always been welcome with open arms, and they are REALLY welcoming to my guy. They usually bring him water and pet him and it has never been an issue. Then again, I have been bringing him along since he was a 9-week old puppy. He is now close to 30 pounds, and well over the limit, but I keep him curbed, and never let him roam or bother people. In short, my experience has been that if your dog is well behaved, they will welcome him. I have see all types of breeds, so no issues there. And, I have been there during happy hour time, and late evening hours, and no issues either. Heck, I showed up at the Surf City Bar around 11 PM and no one batted an eyelash about the fact that my dog was along for the fun.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 16:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Poor service and warm beer are things that might get fixed, particularly after the brutal heat. But, attracting the "megabar" crowd is likely irreparable damage. As someone who lives in the area and used to keep a boat there (pulled out last year - tommy, nice to hear you got the outdrive resolved), I'm wasn't looking to make it part of my circuit.

Until I hear that dogs are welcome. What's the story? Can a fellow amble up to the outdoor bar with his dog?

Seems like my critter might be getting some more later night walks if this is the case.

Posted on: 2012/7/11 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped in late Saturday night and thought the ambiance was just right. Lots of people, but not rowdy at all. Bouncers all over the place keeping an eye on things, and service was pretty good. I brought my dog with me and was made to feel very welcome. By the time I left, a few "chest thumping" types were starting to show up but things were still pretty chill. Definitely impressed with the place, and how it turned out, and I thought the vibe was great. I will be going back on a regular basis.

Also, about the person complaining about the beer prices, two things: if you happen to go during happy hour, their prices are much lower (which could explain the price difference) and if you were in doubt as to what you were being billed, you could have asked. There is no shame, or losing face, in asking for clarification of a bill. These are the same people that run the Zeppelin Beer Garden, which is why half the bartenders and bouncers were the same as over there. Over at the Zepp, beers are half off during happy hour, so I would think that something similar is true for Surf City.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
In the long run, and it may be very long run, I believe that the plan will be to convert this place to something a bit more high end.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 20:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
I dropped by for a quick drink saturday afternoon. They were playing some mello hippie music. Can't get any more laid-back than that but let's face it, that's not gonna attract a night-time crowd. I was probably the only one in the crowd who recognized the NRPS tune coming from the speakers. It was great to hear but I realize they're not rolling that out for prime time. Let's just hope they can find a happy medium to keep out the chest thumpers.

Posted on: 2012/7/10 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
"Temporary" as in that area is going to continue to be developed and Mocco is looking to wring as much cash out of that site as he can until it's time to shut it down. That won't be this year or next, but if that hotel ever moves forward (in the site adjacent to the south of the apartments currently under construction) - the appetite for a "megabar" could be greatly diminished.

I'm with you - a legitimate low-key yet fun place to hang out with a beer and good casual food on a summer afternoon/evening would be fantastic, especially tied into/catering to the marina. And I say that as a non-boat owner.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
I think once they dropped "BBQ" and added "megabar" to their name it was inevitable we'd reach this point. They put up a huge billboard just south of the light rail tracks advertising the "megabar". At the end of the day, Mocco et al are looking to cash in on what amounts to a limited use, ultimately temporary space and I suspect it's easier to get large crowds from the old Sandbar crowd than the "laid back Key West" demographic.

Are you certain that this is going to be a temporary space?

I agree that the use of the word "megabar" was not a good idea.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I think once they dropped "BBQ" and added "megabar" to their name it was inevitable we'd reach this point. They put up a huge billboard just south of the light rail tracks advertising the "megabar". At the end of the day, Mocco et al are looking to cash in on what amounts to a limited use, ultimately temporary space and I suspect it's easier to get large crowds from the old Sandbar crowd than the "laid back Key West" demographic.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I am saddened to report on my first negative experience at Surf City.

On Saturday, after a day on the water, some friends and I walked over to the bar to grab some drinks and possibly some food. As we came within about 20 feet of the door, we heard and then saw a ruckus breaking out, and about 2-3 bouncers punching and pushing 2 patrons who were fighting, and forcibly removing them from the bar. RIGHT in front of us, the bouncers smashed the kids to the ground and pinned them.

Nevertheless, we still went in (we had run out of beer at the dock!). I told the guy checking IDs that the owners had been broadcasting on Facebook that this place was NOT going to be this kind of place, and he said something along the lines of "that's what we're trying to do and that's why we kicked those 2 out". Well, upon entering the bar and walking through to the outside, the loud thumps of bass music became audible. My face just dropped when I realized that they were blasting the exact kind of music "fist-pumping kind of music" that they said they would NOT be playing. Needless to say, the clientele was collectively pretty trashy. And the music was God awful. I like some electronic music if it's good and creative ... this was just really, really bad.

It's unbelievable that after only a few weeks, they have resorted to the type of music and clientele that THEY specifically said they would not tolerate.

What happened, Surf City?

I really want this place to work. The couple of times I was there in the daytime, I had a great time.

If you don't play hip hop or dance/trance, that kind of crowd will not come, and you will have a successful business. If you play that kind of music and let thugs in, there will be fights and the police will be there every night.

Needless to say, as we headed out, we heard and saw all sorts of loud and flashy vehicles peeling out of their parking spaces into the dark night.

If they don't change their act soon (like within a week or 2), this place will turn off every person who they initially sought to attract, and word will spread in the thug/meathead community of this new hot club, and it will very quickly become infested. It kind of already is too late, after what I saw on Saturday.

Really disappointing.

What time did this all go down? I was there around 9pm or so and it was very mellow. The music was barely audible. Beach Boys, etc. I did see some folks who looked like they might have been looking for the Sand Bar and they appeared confused and/or disappointed. We did not stay real late, though, so I can't say what happened after 11pm.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 14:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users
Went there Friday after work. All in all, good time. Great location. The beers weren't warm, but weren't as cold as i'd like either. Did not have a problem getting beers though, and food came fast and was all-in-all pretty good. The music situation was a bit off initially, as we were listening to talk radio for the first 20 minutes or so, but then came some Bob and other stuff. Disappointed to hear about the last posters Saturday experience. Hope that is not a sign of things to come.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am saddened to report on my first negative experience at Surf City.

On Saturday, after a day on the water, some friends and I walked over to the bar to grab some drinks and possibly some food. As we came within about 20 feet of the door, we heard and then saw a ruckus breaking out, and about 2-3 bouncers punching and pushing 2 patrons who were fighting, and forcibly removing them from the bar. RIGHT in front of us, the bouncers smashed the kids to the ground and pinned them.

Nevertheless, we still went in (we had run out of beer at the dock!). I told the guy checking IDs that the owners had been broadcasting on Facebook that this place was NOT going to be this kind of place, and he said something along the lines of "that's what we're trying to do and that's why we kicked those 2 out". Well, upon entering the bar and walking through to the outside, the loud thumps of bass music became audible. My face just dropped when I realized that they were blasting the exact kind of music "fist-pumping kind of music" that they said they would NOT be playing. Needless to say, the clientele was collectively pretty trashy. And the music was God awful. I like some electronic music if it's good and creative ... this was just really, really bad.

It's unbelievable that after only a few weeks, they have resorted to the type of music and clientele that THEY specifically said they would not tolerate.

What happened, Surf City?

I really want this place to work. The couple of times I was there in the daytime, I had a great time.

If you don't play hip hop or dance/trance, that kind of crowd will not come, and you will have a successful business. If you play that kind of music and let thugs in, there will be fights and the police will be there every night.

Needless to say, as we headed out, we heard and saw all sorts of loud and flashy vehicles peeling out of their parking spaces into the dark night.

If they don't change their act soon (like within a week or 2), this place will turn off every person who they initially sought to attract, and word will spread in the thug/meathead community of this new hot club, and it will very quickly become infested. It kind of already is too late, after what I saw on Saturday.

Really disappointing.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 13:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/11 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Went yesterday for the first time - love the set up and the whole vibe of the place. Tons of seating and a great view. Definitely didn't feel like I was in JC and this place is a great option on a summer weekend when you aren't at the beach.

The main problem was the warm beer from the tap. On a hot day, there is nothing like a COLD refreshing beer. Yesterday the beers were way too warm. The bartender said it was the weather and they were just "getting warm really fast" however they weren't cold out of the tap. I think the owner should make this the number one priority to have COLD BEER. My only other complaint was the amount of bees in the sand. There were hundreds of them and they just swarmed around your feet. We had to move to a picnic table quickly to get away from them. Hopefully they can put something in the sand that will prevent this in the future.

Other than that, it was a good experience overall. The frozen drinks were good (although a mudslide should definitely be added to the menu!) and the fries were great. Will definitely go back.

Posted on: 2012/7/8 12:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
They did a nice job on the space which will require up keep and the view is great... have been there a few times at various hours since it opened. Most of the time the bar service was bad, seems like when you find a good bartender she's great but the bad ones lean on the cooler eating goldfish not seeing people with empty glasses; have no idea what brand of spiced rums they serve, after taking the customer order 3 times and returning saying we don't have that rum; or pour tap beer ignoring customers trying to get thier attention. All about professional experience, but it would be the same service at most Jersey Shore bars this size. They do serve a decently priced burger, but beware the lobster rool, priced nicely is not a traditional lobster roll, it mixed with a fruit/vegatable salsa, our group ordered one and no one offered to finish it... someone in group also offered idea of misters being available?

Posted on: 2012/7/7 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I generally like the design of the place, but the one thing that looks super cheap is the asphalt walkways painted blue. In about a month it's going to look awful as the paint fades with foot traffic. They should have invested an extra couple of bucks and put in nice light-colored brick pavers, that would look awesome. Oh, and they should bring in real palm trees a la some of the shore bars, or just not have anything ... I think the fake palm trees are super tacky. I mean, if a 5 year old can tell that they're fake, why even have them?

This is exactly the problem with this place: it has potential to be really awesome but I can easily see it turn into a trash heap. The sand, the blue pavement, the canopy that's sitting in the sand half-built ... all these things need maintenance. Will they keep this place up or let it turn in to a dive and just milk it for the money?

Posted on: 2012/7/6 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, there were definitely some issues with the service at the main bar outside. They either need more or better bartenders, because it took 15 minutes to get a beer and it really wasn't that crowded.

I'm happy to have a spot like this down near the water. I like it. Although, I don't know if it was because it was the 4th of July, but towards the later part of the afternoon on the 4th I did notice the "Ed Hardy" types start to creep in.

I generally like the design of the place, but the one thing that looks super cheap is the asphalt walkways painted blue. In about a month it's going to look awful as the paint fades with foot traffic. They should have invested an extra couple of bucks and put in nice light-colored brick pavers, that would look awesome. Oh, and they should bring in real palm trees a la some of the shore bars, or just not have anything ... I think the fake palm trees are super tacky. I mean, if a 5 year old can tell that they're fake, why even have them?

Posted on: 2012/7/6 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
We were there on Sunday with friends and had a good time. The view is great, and the shaded area outside is nice.

Understanding they just opened, i emailed the owners about our experience. The Lobster Roll was pricey but very tasty. The buffalo shrimp app was disappointing.

The beer from the taps was waaayyyy too warm. That was disappointing.

The girl working the outside bar was just bad. 15 to 20 minutes to get a drink even though there were only 8 other people at the bar (other than our group of nearly 20). I really can't figure out what was taking her so long. Also, strangely, she ignored the women in our group. Repeatedly. She'd go to the men first... it was just weird. And the bar back was on his iPhone the whole time, not helping her at all. Not that that should be an issue when there we so few people there.

When you are trying to build a new business and get the locals to love you, you should try a little harder...

The music was fun, and we will be back, and hopefully the issues will be worked out.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 0:13
Group:
Registered Users
Went last night. The bars were packed and it took twenty minutes to get drinks. Plus the cute bartender was not nice and the wine was a bad pour for my wife. They needed twice the bartenders and to have the inside bar open. Hopefully they will iron out the details since the space is cool. Kinda beer garden meets the shore which I think someone mentioned.

So owners if you are reading this please get more bartenders who seem actually happy to work.

Posted on: 2012/7/4 12:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
We went to Surf City last night, and there were much more people there than I thought would be there on a Monday night. I guess the 4th of July brought lots of tourists via RV, but there was also a local crowd, a mix of what I assume to be neighborhood people and boaters.

Beer selection: about 20 different types of beer on tap, only about half of which were actual "craft" beers. There was quite a few beers in the Sam Adams category that really are not considered craft beers.

Food: I had the fish and chips, and it wasn't authentic fish and chips by any means, but the fries were pretty good.

I really like the layout of the place, and I think it looks like a really fun place to hang out in the summer.

Music was all laid back stuff, like Beach Boys, other oldies, Q104-ish stuff, etc.

Posted on: 2012/7/3 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
There were a couple of tv's over the bar inside. Also there was a side room with a couple of tv's. No one was inside on Saturday, though. I am sure they would put any game you want on.

The menu is still developing. They have burgers, hot dogs, chicken, wraps, and some seafood. A decent selection and variety. They will be adding more seafood to the menu. I just had a hot dog and fries, which were fine. My wife said her lobster roll was very good.

As mentioned above, it is the same set up as the Beer Garden. You order at a counter and they buzz you when it is ready.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Went here Saturday afternoon with the missus and the little one in a stroller. It was a very nice way to relax for a couple of hours. The bars are under canopies, so it doesn't get too hot. A breeze off the water helped, too. The south side bar was full, probably due to no one wanting to stay out in the sunny areas in the heat. The other bar on the east side was filling up when we left. Service was fast and friendly. If you just looked out at the boats in the water, you would think you were in Manasquan or Point Pleasant, so it provides a nice "escape" from the hot city. We left in the late afternoon, so I can't tell you what it was like after dark. I think if they keep playing the Beach Boys and the surf rock, that will be an effective muscle-head deterrent.

Posted on: 2012/7/2 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
I never went here when it was the Sandbar -- wasn't my kind of place -- but I heard plenty speak out loud last night of how Surf City is exactly like its former self.

With that said, how has this place not been sued into oblivion? The entire blue area is a continuous run of uneven pavement. The decking by the sand and the bathrooms is poorly lit and comes to unexpected ends, curves and dips. The lighting that does exist is mood-lighting and that only messes with your eyes. One drink in and I had a hard time navigating in the dark in the back without rolling my ankle.

The space immediately outside the building, with the 1/4-circle curved benches, is at least even and well lit. The perimeter is a little ... rough around the edges. Hopefully they'll continue to improve it in the next few weeks.

It is still a fun place. Definitely has that Zeppelin Hall vibe, same glasses, same food setup and many of the workers are familiar. The music is a mix of 104.3 summer rock songs and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I walked along the Hudson River Walkway afterwards and there was crowd noise immediately across the marina but no loud bass-heavy music. The neighbors should be satisfied.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 14:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/27 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
I live very close and there is absolutely no noise tonight! Let's see how the weekend is.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 0:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Now there's two guys who don't care about being politically correct.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 15:16

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017