Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 55

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Red light traffic camera
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
After paying fees to the state and to the private company that monitors the cameras at the profitable intersection, the City of Jersey City pocketed $658,765 while the county collected $354,553, the records show.

Now if they can give out tickets for double parking, loitering, littering, and all the other JC nonsense we can hire more cops, and clean up the city. I am all for the cameras and for JC enforcing laws!!! Its not that hard to clean up the city.

Posted on: 2012/5/28 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Red-light camera is cash cow for Jersey City and Hudson County

May 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal

"The ones (red-light cameras that) I know that have been installed enhance safety in area as well as generate revenue," said Hudson County Freeholder Bill O'Dea.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... camera_is_cash_cow_f.html

Enhance safety... uh huh. Fortunately they haven't generated any revenue from me.

Posted on: 2012/5/28 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Red-light camera is cash cow for Jersey City and Hudson County

May 28, 2012, 12:33 PM
By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal

Drivers caught on camera running red lights at Kennedy Boulevard and Communipaw Avenue in Jersey City over the past year were issued 20,000 traffic tickets and shelled out $1.7 million in fines, county records show.

After paying fees to the state and to the private company that monitors the cameras at the profitable intersection, the City of Jersey City pocketed $658,765 while the county collected $354,553, the records show.

The records pertain to the period of May 2011 to April 2012.

"The primary purpose of the cameras is to slow up traffic and to ensure that drivers abide by traffic signals enhancing the safety of the driving public," Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said in a statement.

"A secondary and incidental benefit of the red-light cameras is certainly the funds they generate for the municipalities in which they are placed, many of which have seen drastic budget cuts and reduced revenues."

Jersey City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said that based on $979,348 collected so far this year from cameras installed at eight intersections in Jersey City under a state Department of Transportation pilot program, the city expects to collect $3 million in fines this year, of which the city will net roughly $1 million.

About a third of the money is kicked backed to the state and pays American Traffic Solutions, Inc. for monitoring the cameras, Morrill said, noting the city plans to install red-light cameras at six more intersections.

Gary Biller, president of National Motorists Association, an advocacy group for motorists, believes the decision by municipalities to install red-light cameras is driven by the devices' lucrative payoff.

"The fact that one camera made $1.7 million over one year and the city is adding more cameras shows that it is clearly about increasing revenue," Biller said. "If the aim is to improve traffic safety there is no need for the cameras."

Biller argues that other measures, such as increasing the amount of time a light remains yellow and improving the visibility of the lights have proven "time and time again" to reduce traffic-ticket violations and make intersections safer.

Hudson County and the City of Jersey City share the income generated by red-light cameras installed at four intersections along Kennedy Boulevard, which is a county road.

"The ones (red-light cameras that) I know that have been installed enhance safety in area as well as generate revenue," said Hudson County Freeholder Bill O'Dea.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... camera_is_cash_cow_f.html

Posted on: 2012/5/28 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
These Camera needs to turned off until every motorist is treated the same.

I have seen cars with SG,MG,CG and PAPD plates run these lights and non of them are responding to sort of emergencies as they have to stop at the next light.

Since they are the government they do not have pay, but everybody else has to..

That's some of the most strained reasoning I've seen in awhile, or at least this week. Gov't agencies like the PA don't pay RE tax either. want to go on tax strike?

It's kinda amusing how this thread divides into those indignant about getting ticketed and those cheering enforcement. I cheer enforcement even though I got stopped for a rolling stop at the end of my block. I'm more careful now!

Posted on: 2012/5/18 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
These Camera needs to turned off until every motorist is treated the same.

I have seen cars with SG,MG,CG and PAPD plates run these lights and non of them are responding to sort of emergencies as they have to stop at the next light.

Since they are the government they do not have pay, but everybody else has to..

Posted on: 2012/5/18 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Whenever I'm near an intersection with one of those cameras and I see the strobe of light from the flash, I break into a smile. Another bad driver is getting zapped! It may not make me more safe as I go about town, but its better than it was before. I'm really pleased the bad drivers have something to worry about for a change.

Same with me but I stop short as well, this way I won't get zinged by the strobe and I can collect off the guy behind me if he's tailgating.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 12:42
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Saw lots of people being pulled over today for speeding, jumping Stop signs etc.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Is it confirmed that the Red Light system does NOT capture those travelling east or west on CCD at the Jersey Ave intersection?

If that is the case, Fulop needs to get on it immediately. People are maniacal about gunning that light and those are no brainer tickets...

Posted on: 2012/5/18 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Bad Drivers cause accidents.

I think that transcends "bad driving", it illustrates stupidity on many levels, foremost mistaking a vehicle for a penis. People need to repeat this mantra: "I am not my car, my car doesn't define me". They would save a lot of money.

My favorite "poor vehicle choice" is the morons who get giant wheels with low profile tires and then bash the crap out of their rims on 3rd world JC roads. The only thing stupider is low profiles on an SUV! Talk about missing the point...

Posted on: 2012/5/17 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Bad Drivers cause accidents.

Posted on: 2012/5/17 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Saying that some cams are improperly administered doesn't make them a bad idea, just like some bad cops doesn't make me want to get rid of the entire PD. Sure, there's an inherent conflict between compliance and revenue in their implementation that should definitely be resolved in favor of compliance rather than max cash for the vendor & city. Perhaps there should be signs at ALL big intersections warning of traffic cam enforcement. I would guess that would get rid of this dubious higher accident rate artifact. Those "new" accidents are rear enders, not the far more dangerous T-bones from light runners. Besides, anyone that jams on the brakes AFTER the flash is a moron.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 23:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
A Comment by Janice Geldhauser Bollmann in FB...

My Red Light Camera ticket in Edison on Rt. 1 and Plainfield Ave. was dismissed by the Prosecutor last month because I found evidence that Edison was NOT following the law for having the camera's. See the following:
People who receive a Red Light Running Camera ticket should plead not guilty and ask for the following information through that town's clerk in an OPRA (Open Public Records Act) request. She will help you with the OPRA papers. Or look up the form online on the town's website you received your ticket. Most likely all New Jersey Red Light Running cameras are not complying with the law.
This is the part they are not complying to - Signal Timing Certification (The paragraph below is the important information to ask the town for.)
*A certification by the municipal engineer that (a) the intersection or intersections in question have a minimum duration of the amber light at the traffic control signal of 3 seconds if at least 85% of the vehicular traffic approaching the signal is traveling at a speed of 25 mph or less; and (b) for each five mile increase in the speed of vehicular traffic referred to in subparagraph (a) of this paragraph above 30 mph this minimum duration of the amber light shall be increased by ? second. * This part of the law is most likely NOT being complied with by any town in the RED LIGHT CAMERA program throughout the state of New Jersey. You can also ask for the same information from the NJDOT.
Some towns may not be doing the following either - the law states - e. A traffic control signal monitoring system shall be inspected and certified at least once every six months by the municipal engineer from the date of its installation for the duration of the five-year pilot program.

Do the following to obtain information for contesting your ticket: Get OPRA forms online or in the town you received the ticket. Request ALL information to be sent to you by email only, otherwise there will be a cost to make copies. Copy and paste the following onto the forms and add your information where needed-
I am requesting the following:

1) The "Intersection Traffic Signal Timing & Certification" submission that was part of the "Application for Red Light Running Automated Enforcement - Intersection Request" for the (insert the street names at the intersection) intersection that was sent to the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) for approval. This is the third item in the "Checklist of items for submission" shown on the last page of the application. The requirements for this submission are defined in the "Signal Timing Certification" section of the application.

2) If not already included in item 1, the most recent traffic speed distribution and associated statistics for (insert the name of the road as close to the intersection with (insert the name of the intersecting street) as possible.

3) Date of installation of the red light camera system at (insert the street names at the intersection where you received your ticket) intersection.

4) The two most recent traffic control signal monitoring system inspection and certification reports by the municipal engineer as prescribed by Section 3 of P.L. 2007, c.348 (C.39:4-8.14).

5) A copy of (insert name of the town) "Application for Red Light Running Automated Enforcement - Intersection Request" submitted to NJDOT.

You need to request the following information on an OPRA form from NJDOT (New Jersey Department of Transportation). You can do this online through their website - http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/opra/.
I request the following:
The most recent of the Daily Average Speed Data/85th percentile speed for (insert name of the road you were travelling) nearest to (insert the intersecting street the camera was at) In the Township of (insert town): (1) For both directions of traffic: approximate mileposts (insert milepost numbers from the road you were driving on from a couple of miles before and after the intersection). (example such as milepost 45.6 to 50.3).

*You also need to find out what the speed limit was on the roadway you were driving and also the timing of the yellow portion of the traffic light.

Look at your information you receive back and see if the town is following the law as it is written. I hope this helps someone.
Good luck!

OPRA - Open Public Records Act, NJDOT
www.state.nj.us
OPRA - Open Public Records Act - New Jersey Department of Transportation

Posted on: 2012/5/16 22:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Banning red-light cameras nationwide will allow motorists to regain the due process rights afforded all citizens, and will punctuate the conclusion that ticket cameras are about revenue, not safety.
Yet numerous studies, including an investigative report by the Washington Post, have shown accident rates increasing by double-digit percentages after the introduction of cameras.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/article ... -about-revenue-not-safety

Posted on: 2012/5/16 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I agree there?s a real problem with hazardous and otherwise irresponsible driving, but I think we can put a great deal of blame on how easy it is to get a license in the first place. We?re required to demonstrate surprisingly little competence and awareness in order to operate such a potentially dangerous machine on a public roadway. It almost seems that we have to jump through more hoops in order to prove our identities.

Automobile and petroleum corporations and lobbies, and of course politicians, would certainly disagree.

You're right of course. I think they should give a written test every 5 years, and road tests to those over 70. In my observation less than half the drivers in JC know the basic rules of the road. My son and I joke about putting a "stupid crap-o-meter" on the dash, and see how high a count we can observe just getting from school to home.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Yellow lights mean slow down. Stand on Columbus or Grand and you'll hear every oncoming car gun it right as the yellow light comes on.

Your concern is valid. But, each violation is reviewed and a ticket is submitted based on that review. Machines are taking many mundane tasks from humans, and having one officer making $80,000 a year at each busy intersection is costly and impractical. Instead, install a camera and have just one officer review the tapes.

I have yet to hear of a legit reason for disputing a red-light camera ticket ... most are caught (ready for it?) red handed.

I agree there?s a real problem with hazardous and otherwise irresponsible driving, but I think we can put a great deal of blame on how easy it is to get a license in the first place. We?re required to demonstrate surprisingly little competence and awareness in order to operate such a potentially dangerous machine on a public roadway. It almost seems that we have to jump through more hoops in order to prove our identities.

Automobile and petroleum corporations and lobbies, and of course politicians, would certainly disagree.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Do they issue tickets for gridlock as well as actually running the light? Getting across Jersey at 18th after 5 is crazy. I'd love to see a sign that says "if you're in the box on red you WILL get a ticket!"

Posted on: 2012/5/16 20:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I was initially very skeptical on these things, assuming they were solely a money grab. I live near India Square, and the intersection at Newark and Tonnelle is a cluster %*&^ any time there is traffic. People run the light and do crazy things all the time. It is particularly dangerous as a pedestrian.

I have noticed a marked difference since they added the cameras. Most people properly stop at the red now before rolling through a turn-on-red. More people stop properly when the light is changing rather than speed up. Its not all drivers of course, but I think the repeat traffic, the people that are coming off Tonnelle Circle and trying to blow down the street at 50mph are now aware it is an intersection to drive cautiously through. People can debate the effectiveness, but this intersection is now safer in my opinion because of these cameras.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
I usually sigh. Computerized law enforcement, which does not take relevant subjective criteria into account, doesn?t fill me with optimism and glee.

Yellow lights mean slow down. Stand on Columbus or Grand and you'll hear every oncoming car gun it right as the yellow light comes on.

Your concern is valid. But, each violation is reviewed and a ticket is submitted based on that review. Machines are taking many mundane tasks from humans, and having one officer making $80,000 a year at each busy intersection is costly and impractical. Instead, install a camera and have just one officer review the tapes.

I have yet to hear of a legit reason for disputing a red-light camera ticket ... most are caught (ready for it?) red handed.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Whenever I'm near an intersection with one of those cameras and I see the strobe of light from the flash, I break into a smile. Another bad driver is getting zapped! It may not make me more safe as I go about town, but its better than it was before. I'm really pleased the bad drivers have something to worry about for a change.

I usually sigh. Computerized law enforcement, which does not take relevant subjective criteria into account, doesn?t fill me with optimism and glee. There?s a spectrum that ranges from an absolutely free society to an absolutely safe society, and straying toward either extreme is dangerous. The prerequisites for a completely safe society include making the job of law enforcement as easy as possible, but in a supposedly free country the policeman?s job should not be easy.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 20:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
It is not that little camera looking device on top of the traffic light poles. If you look back about 20-30 feet from the intersection's that have these installed, you will see a tall metal pole with a box mounted at the top. Thats the camera. It also flashes a light when it senses an infraction may be taking place to ensure that the picture/video it captures is properly illuminated. The flash is not to inform the police.

More info on how it works....
http://www.njjcpd.org/node/7

Posted on: 2012/5/16 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
That's the way it works?
It flashes to alert the police to give chase?
Seriously, I'll have to investigate further. It may be that what I think is a camera is actually the sensor, and the camera is somewhere else.
What I see are a couple of tubes mounted on the arms above the lights. They point north and south, at the traffic running up and down Jersey. There are no similar tubes pointed parallel to Columbus.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
Love the cameras. We need more of them. Bet most of the tickets go to out of towner's who just cruise through our city everyday & don't give a damm.

Really?
What bugs me most is this:
The camera at Jersey and Columbus only photographs infractions on Jersey Ave as drivers cross Columbus.
All those drivers going to and from Goldman Sachs or taking the shortcut to the tunnel can run red lights at 40mph with impunity. And the busses, along with everyone else, can make the right-on-red with no stop to go north on Jersey, completely clogging the block before Newark and preventing northbound traffic on Jersey from entering the intersection.
God forbid local traffic trying to cross CCD on a too-short light should interfere.

Absolutely false. I saw a woman heading west on Columbus run the light, flash went off and then a cop happened to be there and pulled her over further down Columbus.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/16 18:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tell the Legislature to Ban Red Light Cameras in New Jersey! Sign the Petition!

http://www.senatenj.com/index.php/pet ... y-sign-the-petition/11852

Posted on: 2012/5/16 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Heads up,

They are putting up a new camera at Kennedy Blvd and Hoboken Ave (upper road way rt 139)

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8& ... ent=firefox-a&q=40.739667,-74.061572

They started working yesterday and put up two cameras and they still have one more camera to go..

Posted on: 2012/3/20 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
Love the cameras. We need more of them. Bet most of the tickets go to out of towner's who just cruise through our city everyday & don't give a damm.

Really?
What bugs me most is this:
The camera at Jersey and Columbus only photographs infractions on Jersey Ave as drivers cross Columbus.
All those drivers going to and from Goldman Sachs or taking the shortcut to the tunnel can run red lights at 40mph with impunity. And the busses, along with everyone else, can make the right-on-red with no stop to go north on Jersey, completely clogging the block before Newark and preventing northbound traffic on Jersey from entering the intersection.
God forbid local traffic trying to cross CCD on a too-short light should interfere.

Posted on: 2012/3/16 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City installs sixth set of red-light cameras at Duncan Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard

March 16, 2012, 3:00 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald - The Jersey Journal

Jersey City?s sixth set of red-light cameras was activated at Duncan Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard this morning just after midnight, giving motorists 30 days until they start receiving tickets for blowing through a red light there.

The city is in the process of installing the cameras at 11 of the city?s most dangerous intersections. Previous intersections approved for the cameras include Kennedy Boulevard and Communipaw Avenue and Jersey Avenue and 18th Street.

Though city officials expect to net $7 million annually once all the cameras are installed, they have stressed that their primary goal is safety.

?The intent of our road-safety program is to get drivers to obey traffic signals,? said Police Chief Thomas Comey. ?The purpose of this program is to improve public safety and reduce collisions resulting from red-light violations.?

Motorists can also receive tickets for not coming to a full stop before turning right on red at the intersections.

The trial period for the Duncan Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard cameras ends on April 15.

The remaining intersections with activated red-light cameras are: Newark and Tonnelle avenues; Sip Avenue and Routes 1 and Montgomery and Merseles streets.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_installs_sixth_set.html

Posted on: 2012/3/16 19:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/12/2 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Sounds like this will be a great revenue generator and a lot of that money will come from Hoboken residents.

But for whom ? What percentage goes to the state and what percentage goes to the city ?

Posted on: 2011/12/2 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like this will be a great revenue generator and a lot of that money will come from Hoboken residents. Now if only the safety of the intersection was actually improved.

Posted on: 2011/12/2 14:38

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017