Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Save the Food Trucks of Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Perhaps it is a parking issue. Sanitary conditions are hard to come by as well. And remember the "extra" 400 food vendor permits that were given out. What is the main reason for the lack of truck vendors, is it permits, licenses, zoning, or location, location, location. What are you looking for ?

A parking issue? With some of the best mass transit access in the state and huge, empty parking garages all over the downtown, there is no dearth of parking in Jersey City.

Food trucks and bike lanes a Portland Or. we ain't. Although I wish we were. Can the food trucks be trusted though ?

Posted on: 2012/5/23 15:22
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Perhaps it is a parking issue. Sanitary conditions are hard to come by as well. And remember the "extra" 400 food vendor permits that were given out. What is the main reason for the lack of truck vendors, is it permits, licenses, zoning, or location, location, location. What are you looking for ?

A parking issue? With some of the best mass transit access in the state and huge, empty parking garages all over the downtown, there is no dearth of parking in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 15:13

Re: Where'd all the Food Trucks Go?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Another real loss by JC. In cities all across the country, including right across the river of course, food trucks are offering amazing creative food options and making the streets a more vibrant place. JC is discouraging this. Shame, shame, shame. And the consumers/residents of JC are the ones who lose.

Agreed.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/23 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Another real loss by JC. In cities all across the country, including right across the river of course, food trucks are offering amazing creative food options and making the streets a more vibrant place. JC is discouraging this. Shame, shame, shame. And the consumers/residents of JC are the ones who lose.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 14:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Could it be that there was no parity on competition (its far cheaper to run a food van) or maybe it was a health standards issue.

If a restaurant with a full kitchen, unlimited gas, unlimited water, and a dining area cannot compete with a food truck, the restaurant is doing it wrong.

I still go with the health standards issue. I guess the city used the off limits approach. Amazing what a little enforcement can do.

You trust the politicians. lulz.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 11:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Could it be that there was no parity on competition (its far cheaper to run a food van) or maybe it was a health standards issue.

If a restaurant with a full kitchen, unlimited gas, unlimited water, and a dining area cannot compete with a food truck, the restaurant is doing it wrong.

I still go with the health standards issue. I guess the city used the off limits approach. Amazing what a little enforcement can do.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 8:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Posted on: 2012/5/23 4:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Are you talking about the Food Trucks and Carts found near Exchange Place or Newport in the evenings?

Posted on: 2012/5/23 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/23 0:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering that as well

Posted on: 2012/5/22 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The local restaurant mafia, afraid their mediocre food couldn't compete with food cooked in the back of a truck, complained to the city. And by complained, I mean, paid someone off.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 20:56

Where'd all the Food Trucks Go?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/1 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
They used to line up on the side street to the north of Harborside -- now they're all gone! Any news?

Posted on: 2012/5/22 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The food trucks near New Jersey City University on Kennedy and Audubon, were removed by the police this afternoon.
There are no brick and mortar food purveyors near these food trucks, and the campus community depends on them.

The ordinance covering the food trucks will be heard today (and voted on?)in the City Council meeting starting at 6pm at City hall on Grove Street.

If you do not agree with this call your Council Member and the Mayor's Office!
http://cityofjerseycity.com/citycouncil.aspx
http://cityofjerseycity.com/mayor.aspx?id=36

Posted on: 2011/12/14 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
What is the purpose of making them close at 9pm? I was hoping for more options after 10pm when most restaurants close!

Posted on: 2011/11/23 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Is this all really for the votes of the brick and mortars? How many of them brick and mortar owners near the food trucks live in Jersey City? Are they registered to vote? Are they U. S. citizens?

The food served from the food trucks are different than the food at the brick and mortars. How do you compare Korean tacos to Subway sandwiches? Besides, I prefer Gypsy Grill's falafel sandwich to Two Pitas in a Pod.

I don't know what you gain, Steven. You may lose some votes.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Food truck operators should pay a fee to the city equal to that of property tax on a similar square foot property.

Space is space. They should pay a fair price for it. $200 is far too little.

It is also fair to regulate their locations and operating hours. They are a nuisance if outside your home or business.

The background checks, however, seem out of place, especially when not required with other food operations without alcohol.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is just stupid. So a food truck has to move every 2 hours? And cannot operate near

I guess we can no longer expect the food trucks at Groove on Grove next spring/summer? Because that would be within range of several licensed restaurants.

In JC there is a lot of time wasted on ridiculous, stupid legislation that does not benefit the residents at all.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I can understand the classes, given some of the disgusting conditions some trucks have had, but criminal background checks? What the hell? I like Fulop a lot but I think he's watched Cheech & Chong's Nice Dreams too many times.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Good job, jc, make small businesses not want to come here. FOOD CLASSES FOR PEOPLE WHO WORK IN A FOOD TRUCK. what bs. Bunch of asinine regulation because some of the crappy eateries are losing money to good inexpensive food. How in the hell are food preparers supposed to pick up and move every two hours safely? Pack up all their food prep which cuts into sales and takes more time and money?

What a load of crap. Guess I'll stop by the food trucks more often before these regs go into effect and they decide it isn't worth the hassle dealing with the incompetence that is JC.

Posted on: 2011/11/23 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City City Council gives initial OK to new regulations for food truck, cart vendors

Tuesday, November 22, 2011, 7:31 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald
The Jersey Journal

The Jersey City City Council tonight unanimously introduced an ordinance revising city regulations of food trucks and carts, the third time in six months that the council has attempted to address the issue.

The regulations, which need to be approved a second time before they are adopted, would require vendors to move at least 150 feet every two hours, restrict vendors from operating within 200 feet of any licensed eatery or bar and limit their hours of operation from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The city has been seeking to amend the ordinance governing food trucks and carts since 2009, a process that was delayed when the city learned the Jersey City Police Department was investigating then-Health Officer Joseph Castagna for illegally issuing more itinerant-catering licenses than allowed by city ordinance.

The city?s first attempt to revise the law failed in May when vendors criticized the proposed regulations, saying they would not be able to adhere to them.

A second attempt to introduce the ordinance passed last month, but the ordinance was revised after one council member said the parking-permit fees suggested for the portable vendors were too generous.

The new regulations would require applicants for itinerant-catering licenses to undergo criminal background checks, attend courses on food handling and pay a $200 fee that rises by $100 every year until 2014.

Francesca Saldana, 42, who operates a barbecue and hot dog truck with her husband, James, said she has serious issues with the Constitutionality of the new regulations.

Vendors should not have to submit to criminal background checks, a requirement not made of other business owners who do not sell liquor, Saldana said.

The regulations could keep some current license-holders from applying for renewals, she added.

?Many people will suffer,? Saldana said. ?Families will suffer.?

Downtown Councilman Steve Fulop, who helped draft the regulations, defended the ordinance, saying the original draft would have required all employees hired by the vendors to submit to background checks, and not just the vendor.

?It?s nothing outrageous,? Fulop said. ?It?s nothing egregious. It?s perfectly fair.?

Posted on: 2011/11/23 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
food truck festival would be an awesome idea. The F1 isn't for another 2 years so there's still plenty of time to plan..

Posted on: 2011/11/11 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What about having a food truck festival on Washington in Hoboken ?
Image truck after truck parked along the road for a week-end - Beer trucks, food trucks, ice-cream trucks, pop-corn trucks etc etc. Throw in a music truck and you have a festival.
I can't think of a street in JC that could attract the crowds as Hoboken has or does with other festivals.

If you act fast, we have been given the green light to host the Formula One Grand Prix ..... so JC would be good for the next 10 years if you arrange the food truck festival at the same time !

I can't believe no-one knows that we are getting the F1 here and doesn't take advantage of the potential money making ideas ... start planning now !

Posted on: 2011/11/11 7:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/12 0:37
Group:
Registered Users
btw the quote in the nj.com article that food trucks in jersey city can 'easily make 2K a day' is pretty ridiculous.

maybe in manhattan. not even close in jersey city.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 5:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/12 0:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Given the amount of enthusiasm for your food truck, would you/are you considering opening a restaurant in the downtown Jersey City area?

we have been looking at spaces in downtown jersey city as well as securing financing to open a store for the last 4-5 months :)

the start up costs are far higher than a truck but it takes a lot more hours to run a food truck and you are much more vulnerable to things like weather, temperature and providing amenities so we welcome having the 'problems' of a brick n mortar.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 5:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
which means they need the greater protection from cityhall.

FAB, What are you smoking???LOL. What Jersey City person or business of a sane nature would ever want "greater protection from cityhall"??

Posted on: 2011/10/27 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
...and Obamno and the Dumbocraps wonder why no one is creating jobs - $400/month to JC for what??????? What is JC gov't doing for those food vendors? What about a criminal background check for those working in a bricks & mortar establishment - or better yet a criminal background check for those "working" in City Hall?

Enough REGULATION already!!!!
because clearly Obama told Jersey City to charge food trucks $400 a month.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to see food carts and truck be given a specific area to do trade where they have reserved parking spot away from any bricks and mortar establishments.
This specific area would be no less then 500 feet away from a bricks and mortar food place - This will show whether or not these non bricks and mortar venders are stealing customers and generate competition amongst themselves.

Bricks and mortar establishments have a much bigger outlay to run a business and can not relocate when times are tough, which means they need the greater protection from cityhall.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
... What about a criminal background check for those working in a bricks & mortar establishment?

I assume that the city is doing that to deter drug dealing from these trucks. Sounds like a wise plan -- there are a few brick and mortar bars downtown that do have guys dealing from their places -- but these dealers are not normally on the bars payroll -- they just kind of camp out there -- day after day hooking people up -- with the clear knowledge of the bar owners.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 15:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Updated: Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 8:26 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Owners of brick-and-mortar restaurants also object, according to Tony Kaszuba, a consultant who told the council he represents a number of Downtown eateries. The owners of those establishments pay the city well over $400 monthly to operate, Kaszuba said.

Is this true? Do owners of establishments pay more than $5000/year (excluding property taxes/sales taxes) to the city? I find this hard to stomach/believe.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 15:01

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017