Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fulop, Lavarro backing ordinance to boost pay of low-level city contractors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Nah. I don't have that overwhelming urge to force other people to do what I think is best for them. Not a politico material.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean borisp!
Just like you, I am sick of these G..D... conservative politicians telling us what we can, and can't, do with our bodies, Who we can, and can not, marry, telling us we have to spend tax dollars we send to start wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (can you believe the Republican nominee has surrounded himself with advisors that want to start a war with Iran?). Praise the Lord we have Liberal politicians that balance things out and keep those conservative politicians from forcing us into even more of what they think is best for us.

Not sure what you are talking about.

You can take you beloved one to the nearest notary public and sign a "marriage contract" exchanging a power of attorney, living will, and all other items that is normally afforded to spouses. There. Done.

No conservative or liberal politician will stop you.

Now, from your comment about Aphganistan, - I conclude that you are an Anarchist, and are against any form of government. Is this true?

As for me, I am what nowadays are called "libertarian". I.e. I think that people do need to institute government in order to secure their rights. Basically, same ideology you will find in the Declaration of Independence. So, from that I conclude that the government must have power to decide when to declare war - in the name of protecting my rights. Definitely not as "telling me what to do", as an anarchist would think.

Did it make things clear?

P.S. BTW, isn't it nice that our President Obama finally voiced support for the gay marriage issue? I mean, what a COURAGE! Not even two years since Dick Cheney voiced his support, and Obama decided to join in. He is true leadership material, he!

Posted on: 2012/5/13 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Question:

Do the union worker's contracts have an 'escalator clause' of sorts in their contracts? This is where the next level of wages are set by the lowest wage. For example, a Class A laborer must be paid X dollars above the lowest wage paid?

Just curious because I know contracts often have these clauses. So when the minimum wage goes up, it causes all the other wages to rise right up to the highest paid trades.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 13:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Nah. I don't have that overwhelming urge to force other people to do what I think is best for them. Not a politico material.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean borisp!
Just like you, I am sick of these G..D... conservative politicians telling us what we can, and can't, do with our bodies, Who we can, and can not, marry, telling us we have to spend tax dollars we send to start wars in Afghanistan and Iraq (can you believe the Republican nominee has surrounded himself with advisors that want to start a war with Iran?). Praise the Lord we have Liberal politicians that balance things out and keep those conservative politicians from forcing us into even more of what they think is best for us.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 6:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Again, and again, and again.

Is it so hard to figure out? Mayor, councilpeople - are hired by us, the taxpayers. When they are buying some services for the City, they are supposed to represent us, the taxpayers, and try to get the best conditions and the best price from our point of view!

If Fullop, Healey, Lavarro and others and want to represent them - they ought to resign their city offices and seek employment with those contractors, - as lobbyist, or negotiators, or whatnot.

P.S. Same about "let's do something for the unions!" idea. You want to benefit the unions, - you should seek employment with the unions, and draw your pay from the unions.

Then in turn you should run for political office as others have done in the past, or at least get appointed to a board.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

Is it so hard to figure out? Mayor, councilpeople - are hired by us, the taxpayers. When they are buying some services for the City, they are supposed to represent us, the taxpayers, and try to get the best conditions and the best price from our point of view!

If Fullop, Healey, Lavarro and others and want to represent them - they ought to resign their city offices and seek employment with those contractors, - as lobbyist, or negotiators, or whatnot.

P.S. Same about "let's do something for the unions!" idea. You want to benefit the unions, - you should seek employment with the unions, and draw your pay from the unions.

Then in turn you should run for political office as others have done in the past, or at least get appointed to a board.

Posted on: 2012/5/7 16:43
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
2 Jersey City Council members plan to introduce measure requiring certain city contractors to raise the wages of their workers

May 07, 2012, 3:00 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald - The Jersey Journal

Two Jersey City City Council members are set to introduce a measure that would require some city contractors and businesses who receive city subsidies to pay some low-wage workers at a rate significantly higher than the federal minimum wage.

Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop and Councilman at large Rolando Lavarro, sponsors of the proposed ordinance, say the requirement would allow the workers to ?climb out of poverty? and ?level the playing field? between workers and employers.

?Creating new jobs is important but it is equally important to make sure that those jobs pay enough for working people to climb out of poverty and join the middle class,? Fulop said in a statement.

The proposal would set the minimum wage for contracted security guards who work at city-owned and city-leased buildings at 200 percent of federal minimum wage, which translates to $14.50 per hour, plus benefits. For contracted janitors at those facilities, the new rate would be the standard wage set by the state Department of Labor, which is now $15.70 plus benefits.

The measure would also require developers who receive city subsidies to pay security guards and janitors these wages at a minimum. For contracted clerical and food-service workers at city-owned and city-leased buildings, the new wage would be $10.50 per hour, up from $7.50.

The current federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.
Mayor Jerramiah Healy said in a statement that the city will review the proposed ordinance, stressing that he does not want to ?create impediments? for businesses that wish to work with the city.

Healy, who plans to face Fulop in the 2013 mayoral race, added that the measure seems more like a diversionary tactic for the Ward E councilman, who last week was blasted by dozens of Jersey City Incinerator Authority workers over his move to eliminate the city agency.

?Knowing that Steve Fulop does little to nothing without a political motivation, my initial reaction is that this is his response to the criticism he took at last week?s council meeting regarding his plan that could have cut jobs from workers at the JCIA, particularly the Second Chance program.?

Fulop called Healy?s comments a sign of ?desperation.?

The measure, set for introduction at this week?s council meeting, has the support of SEIU 32BJ, a property-service workers union representing about 9,000 New Jersey laborers. Kevin Brown, the union?s state director, said it would protect taxpayers and spur economic growth.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... city_council_members.html

Posted on: 2012/5/7 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree! for once I would like to see these folks concentrated on the simple things like crime, education and lowering taxes, but they seem to spend most of their time dealing with sh*t that does not benefit the average resident of the city. If they are not meeting about some abatement they are meeting about some union sh*t. It is way passed being pathetic. Election day can't come quick enough.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

City officials are not supposed to work against us, and to represent the interests of our contractors, suppliers and employees. Not while those city officials are in our employ and our payroll.

And, if they think that the City is in a good financial position to afford some charity work, - that charity should be doled out to the most needy residents, - not as a pay increase to the contractors.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 14:28

Fulop, Lavarro backing ordinance to boost pay of low-level city contractors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Two Jersey City City Council members are set to introduce a measure that would require some city contractors and businesses who receive city subsidies to pay some low-level workers at a rate significantly higher than the federal minimum wage.
Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop and Councilman at large Rolando Lavarro, sponsors of the proposed ordinance, say the requirement would allow the workers to ?climb out of poverty? and ?level the playing field? between workers and businesses.
?Creating new jobs is important but it is equally important to make sure that those jobs pay enough for working people to climb out of poverty and join the middle class,? Fulop said in a statement. ?For buildings that benefit from taxpayer subsidies, this is a sensible and equitable measure.?
The proposal would set the minimum wage for contracted security guards who work at city-owned and city-leased buildings at 200 percent of federal minimum wage, which would translate to $14.50 per hour plus benefits. For contracted janitors at those buildings, the new rate would be the standard wage set by the state Department of Labor, which is now $15.70 plus benefits.
The measure would also require developers who receive city subsidies to pay their security guards and janitors the above minimum wages.
For contracted clerical and food-service workers at city-owned and city-leased buildings, the new wage would be $10.50 per hour, up from $7.50.
The current federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.
Mayor Jerramiah Healy said in a statement that the city will review the proposed ordinance, stressing that he does not want to ?create impediments? for businesses that wish to work with the city.
Healy, who plans to face Fulop in the 2013 mayoral race, added that the measure seems more like a diversion tactic for the Ward E councilman, who last week was blasted by dozens of Jersey City Incinerator Authority workers over his move to eliminate the city agency.
?Knowing that Steve Fulop does little to nothing without a political motivation, my initial reaction is that this is his response to the criticism he took at last week?s council meeting regarding his plan that could have cut jobs from workers at the JCIA, particularly the second-chance program.?
The measure, which is set for introduction at next week?s council meeting, has the support of SEIU 32BJ, a property-service workers union representing about 9,000 New Jersey laborers. Kevin Brown, the union?s state director, said it would protect taxpayers and spur economic growth.
"Taxpayers don't want to subsidize employers who keep workers in poverty, forcing them to depend on government assistance such as Medicaid and food stamps,? Brown said. ?When more working people earn decent wages, they will have money to spend at local businesses, boosting the economy."
The council meets for its next regular meeting on Wednesday, May 9 at 6 p.m. at City Hall, 280 Grove St.Resized Imagehttp://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ng_ordinanc.html#comments

Posted on: 2012/5/4 2:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017