Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 38 39 40 (41) 42 43 44 ... 60 »

Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Fare hike just around the corner. If Teddy doesn't get ya, the Port Authority will!

Posted on: 2012/9/5 21:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone notice the machines at Grove take a million years to process your payment? It's uncomfortably long. Just when you start looking around for a station agent it finally goes through. It's hit or miss with those machines.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I corresponded with them last week and they said the site was down. 7 days later and nothing has changed.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 14:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Even more unselfish are shut-ins. Never leaving the house would make the world such an amazing, selfless place.

Posted on: 2012/9/2 14:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Is anyone having trouble with the path smartlink website (adding trips to their card), or is it just me?

My card balance isn't even loading. I get an "unavailable" message.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Someguyinjc your first paragraph was off the CHAIN! I want a copy of your first novel. :)

Posted on: 2012/8/29 3:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/4 2:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Three times in the last week or so I've been bombarded, yes I say bombarded with an aural assault of CRAP music on my ride home... Some idiot with a boom box walks into the car, turns up his boom box and starts rapping the virtues of Christ... Christian Rap... CRAP, not what I need to hear on my ride home. How can this be stopped?

Once, when I was in the second car with the conductor, this fool suddenly started blaring music (maybe noise is the better word choice here) from his boombox. The other passengers, aside from his cackling posse, were visibly irritated at the 20 decibels of aural pollution flooding the car. I grimaced at the thought of sitting for another few minutes with this lovely background music. All of a sudden, the conductor marched over to said hooligan and engaged in a 10 second stare down contest, at the end of which he remarked, "You're gonna turn that off right now!" To this, the sound assassin feigned incomprehension and gestured at the unsightly monitor headphones draped over his ears (why he was even wearing those things I'll never know). "I can't hear you," or some similar gibberish slipped from his lips as he grinned back in defiance. The tension wafted through the air for a few awkward moments as neither side seemed willing to submit. Surprisingly, an all out brawl failed to materialize because the conductor had to return to his position and open the doors for the next stop.

I'm not sure how you can stop scumbags from being scumbags, but we shouldn't give them the satisfaction of imposing their stupidity over us. I wish there were more people willing to stand up to these degenerates. I wanted to shake the conductor's hand and thank him for attempting to impose a nominal standard of decency in the car, but by the time I turned back, the train was already in motion. I wonder if there was a Round 2?

Posted on: 2012/8/28 23:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Three times in the last week or so I've been bombarded, yes I say bombarded with an aural assault of CRAP music on my ride home... Some idiot with a boom box walks into the car, turns up his boom box and starts rapping the virtues of Christ... Christian Rap... CRAP, not what I need to hear on my ride home. How can this be stopped?

Posted on: 2012/8/28 21:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/4 2:19
Group:
Registered Users
In all honesty, I have found the PATH to be a much more reliable means of transportation than its country cousin, NJ Transit. I fondly recall getting stuck on freezing platforms during the winter months and having my snot freeze up while desperately waiting for a train to arrive. I'll take the occasional "signal problem" over the dysfunctional dinosaur called NJ Transit any day, or its even more hopeless neighbor, the MTA... I guess it all really depends on your perspective. Commuting blows in general, but given the choice, I would choose the lesser evil time and again. The PATH runs a shorter route, is somewhat more consistent, and costs less. I'll just have to put up with the scumbag elbowing me in the stomach while jostling for my position on the PATH during rush until someone invents a teleportation device or I get some jet skis to whisk myself over the Hudson.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
The metrocard machines are NOT taking credit or debit cards at the WTC and Grove Street stations. I noticed this first on Saturday coming back to JC from WTC. Same thing this morning at Grove and still at WTC! Not sure about elsewhere. SO, bring cash!

No signs, announcements ...anything. Now THAT is truly pathetic!

Posted on: 2012/8/27 10:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
people who take public transportation are selfish? hilarious.

today i witnessed a nice fender bender at jersey ave and Grand, due to someone who acted out of complete selfishness and impatience because they couldn't wait for the person in front of them to make a right on red.

Posted on: 2012/7/28 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

whiteboy19 wrote:
i think you people are complaining far too much,Its public transportationand thats what you get,the public a bunch of selfish idiots that dont care about one another.

Riding public transit is one of the least selfish acts. People who drive on the publicly funded highways -- highways we all pay for whether or not we use them -- are far more selfish. Drivers are a higher risk of accidentally killing someone. They spend tax dollars on emergency response when their vehicles crash. Per mile traveled, they cost taxpayers more in new capital projects and maintenance. They use a high portion of global resources. So really it seems to me that the people riding transit are the ones who deserve the praise for their selflessness.

I agree with both statements here. Those of us who do ride mass transit are costing society the least to get from point A to point B, in almost all cases. On the other hand I hear a ton of whining going on, especially on sites like this. The name of this topic includes "PATHETIC" and if there's one thing I have to say about PATH, it is far from pathetic. It may not be perfect, but it is consistently well run most of the time. Most of the time when there are delays, they aren't really all that bad. When you consider the system was built over 100 years ago, and not designed with express tracks or alternate routing in mind, it's amazing how reliable it is.

Quite frankly, most of my problems with my daily PATH commute are some of the A**holes riding it. You know the ones who feel it's their right to block the doors. Or those who refuse to move further into the cars. Or those who hold the car doors. That being said, we have less of these issues then the New York Subway.

Again, the systems isn't perfect, but I can count the days on one hand over the last 17 years that I've been using it, that it has failed to get me to work in a reasonable time frame.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

whiteboy19 wrote:
i think you people are complaining far too much,Its public transportationand thats what you get,the public a bunch of selfish idiots that dont care about one another.

Riding public transit is one of the least selfish acts. People who drive on the publicly funded highways -- highways we all pay for whether or not we use them -- are far more selfish. Drivers are a higher risk of accidentally killing someone. They spend tax dollars on emergency response when their vehicles crash. Per mile traveled, they cost taxpayers more in new capital projects and maintenance. They use a high portion of global resources. So really it seems to me that the people riding transit are the ones who deserve the praise for their selflessness.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 17:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/7/27 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
How do unlimited monthly Metrocards work with the Path system? Is it possible to use them?

It has to be a money Metro card. This way the PATH can get paid by deleting each fare per ride from your account.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 21:44
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
How do unlimited monthly Metrocards work with the Path system? Is it possible to use them?

No.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/7/26 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Yes, I say just stand even if there are open seats unless you have a physical condition that makes it hard to stand. It's not that long a ride even to 33rd St. Also, if you stand from the beginning you're automatically defering to others who need the seats - with no awkward moments deciding if you should get up for someone, while trying not to make a big show out of it.

With your way someone undeserving might get the seat then both people lose. I'd rather sit and then judge who should be worthy of the seat.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 13:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The cars are pretty narrow though. sometimes there is bottlenecking at the door but it's usually too narrow to even fit anyone else in the aisle anyway

Posted on: 2012/5/11 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vagabond79 wrote:
Absolutely agree about people standing by the door and creating a bottleneck. I bet the 12 min ride for most is cut down to 11 or even less if folks standing by the door clear the way at Grove and Newport.

PATH has the signs for 'Do not lean on the doors'. It should add 'Keep entry/exit area clear' when train is approaching a stop. The conductor can make an announcement as well.

If someone is standing by the door, nonchalant, blocking 1/3rd of the entrance, and people at Grove and Newport are trying to board, everyone should just nudge him/her a little bit .... never going to happen I know, of course this is rude, offensive and maybe even against the law ....

I've started just stepping onto the train between them and the door so that we are uncomfortably close to each other and then they usually step further inside the train after they realize I'm not going to push past them.

Its a lot like when I'm trying to get off the train and crowds of people want to push on; its easier for me to just stare at them until they step aside then try pushing through.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 18:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/1 20:58
Group:
Registered Users
Absolutely agree about people standing by the door and creating a bottleneck. I bet the 12 min ride for most is cut down to 11 or even less if folks standing by the door clear the way at Grove and Newport.

PATH has the signs for 'Do not lean on the doors'. It should add 'Keep entry/exit area clear' when train is approaching a stop. The conductor can make an announcement as well.

If someone is standing by the door, nonchalant, blocking 1/3rd of the entrance, and people at Grove and Newport are trying to board, everyone should just nudge him/her a little bit .... never going to happen I know, of course this is rude, offensive and maybe even against the law ....

Posted on: 2012/5/10 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I say just stand even if there are open seats unless you have a physical condition that makes it hard to stand. It's not that long a ride even to 33rd St. Also, if you stand from the beginning you're automatically defering to others who need the seats - with no awkward moments deciding if you should get up for someone, while trying not to make a big show out of it.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nuyorkster wrote:
What really bugs me how apathetic people are to pregnant women traveling on the PATH. C'mon people! Be human! Give up your seat to a pregnant woman - don't close your eyes and pretend to sleep!

I'm not really sure why people are obsessed with seats. Its not really that much more comfortable and a ride is like 12 minutes.

The problem I find most annoying is the people who stand next to the doors but don't get out of the way or even move to let others on or off, and suddenly the whole train is delayed because some middle aged dbag wants his precious space against the door.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 4:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 14:50
Group:
Banned
What really bugs me how apathetic people are to pregnant women traveling on the PATH. C'mon people! Be human! Give up your seat to a pregnant woman - don't close your eyes and pretend to sleep!

Posted on: 2012/5/10 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The new Path cars are really not climate controlled. It is almost always really hot and humid in these trains. You know when the train comes to a station, and the doors opening lets in a "cool" breeze, that it's hot inside the trains.

I know I've complained about this before, and I really hate sounding like a complainer, but it's really annoying especially considering that these trains are brand new. In my experience, the older trains were almost always comfortable and cool. Not a huge fan of the newer trains ... they consistently smell bad and are not properly climate controlled ... why did they spend all the $$$ on them? Should have focused on the signal system.

Whether you sit or stand the duel air ducts shoot above the seats and on those that stand. I'd rather stand on the ends of the car because the ducts do not go to either end of the car. Also if you sit and someone standing falls down on you sitting you could get crushed. By the way the new seats are uncomfortable too upright with unusual lumbar support. And the train jerks abruptly upon take off.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The new Path cars are really not climate controlled. It is almost always really hot and humid in these trains. You know when the train comes to a station, and the doors opening lets in a "cool" breeze, that it's hot inside the trains.

I know I've complained about this before, and I really hate sounding like a complainer, but it's really annoying especially considering that these trains are brand new. In my experience, the older trains were almost always comfortable and cool. Not a huge fan of the newer trains ... they consistently smell bad and are not properly climate controlled ... why did they spend all the $$$ on them? Should have focused on the signal system.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
I'm relatively new to the Path system but every morning it comes like clockwork every few minutes. I don't think I've waited more than 2 minutes for a train to come. I have to say, so far, it is much more efficient than the subway, which seemed way more irregular when I lived over there.

Not a complaint, but I noticed the Path moves kinda slow and ramble-y, especially between Newport - Christopher st. I get nauseous on it. There must be a lot of twists and turns in the tunnels or something. I'm only on the train for like 10 minutes so I can't complain really but I'm just saying it's something I've noticed.

There are a couple of big turns but its mostly that there are too many trains and every signal block is filled. The jittery feel is coming from the train approaching a red signal and the driver hoping it turns yellow before they reach it -- and sometimes they don't turn which is where the sudden stops come from too.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 0:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm relatively new to the Path system but every morning it comes like clockwork every few minutes. I don't think I've waited more than 2 minutes for a train to come. I have to say, so far, it is much more efficient than the subway, which seemed way more irregular when I lived over there.

Not a complaint, but I noticed the Path moves kinda slow and ramble-y, especially between Newport - Christopher st. I get nauseous on it. There must be a lot of twists and turns in the tunnels or something. I'm only on the train for like 10 minutes so I can't complain really but I'm just saying it's something I've noticed.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BadCircles wrote:
and even then, it's not a priority.

When I first came to Hudson county (1989) that PATH was having horrendous problems with signal failures. Then came the 'Perfect Storm' in October 1991. It flooded the PATH tunnels, wrecking much of the signal system.

The PA had to replace the wrecked equipment. When the PATH resumed operations, the signal system showed a definite improvement in reliability.

Maybe we should say a prayer for another super-storm surge?

Posted on: 2012/5/8 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Anyone else remember the glory days when weekend train service 7 to 7 was like a normal midday schedule 4 routes operating?

yeah, and it was $1.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 18:07

« 1 ... 38 39 40 (41) 42 43 44 ... 60 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017