Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: May 12: How Do We Assess Teachers Forum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
PS:

I think NJEA are scared out of their wits about testing of teachers. I fundamentally disagree with this teacher testing, but for a different reason than NJEA. Results shouldn't be measured on passing tests. It should be measured on "real world" jobs created for the students. And I think NJEA need to focus more on students and less on their teachers.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 10:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The one thing that hugely motivated me as a kid, was working as an intern in a real job. In JC we have plenty of opportunities. The kids could have their pick of jobs if people got out of their way.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/index.htm

Posted on: 2012/5/10 9:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users
Education is a joke. The media throws around the word "reform" like something has actually changed in the last 200 years. Teaching today is much like it was a 100 years ago. We still stuff 34 kids in a room with 1 ill-equipped teacher paid a peasants wage and expect miracles. Through the years we've seen government legislation, congress signing bills into laws, and millions of dollars thrown into the mix that never reaches our children, classrooms or the teachers. You change nothing, you get no changes. That's pretty damn simple to me. I've been teaching for almost 20 years and all I've seen is a revolving door of "leaders" pretending to know what the #OOPS# they're talking about and never once asking the professionals who have been on the front lines fighting the battle how to "reform" education. The problem is not how to assess teachers, it's how to assess the politians pretending to know how to reform education. Why is that everyone wants to hold teachers "accountable" for society's problem? Education is a community issue but the teachers are the problem, not the parents, or the system. There's no other occupation I know of where we hold the one person accountable for the actions of others. There are entirely too many variables that go into test results to hold the teacher responsible. In fact, there is a library of research supporting that statement but again, no one wants to say it. Poor children with low socio-economic status do worse on standardized tests. No Child Left Behind signed into law in 2000 was supposed to change that but failed miserably. Anyone talking about that and why? No, in fact we continue to test the shit out our poor kids who get nothing from school anymore except how to take tests. If that's how I will be judged, then I'll create the best test-takers you've ever seen. They'll hate school, hate me, hate their parents, and won't leave me with the slightest thirst for knowledge. Amen!

Posted on: 2012/5/8 22:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/6 0:32
Group:
Registered Users
+1 dtjcview

What a waste of time and money. Why don't they invite private and charter school representative? Because they are not really interested in reform. Only in how to suck even more $so from you

Posted on: 2012/5/8 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Education is a means to an end. If you can get students, colleges, and hiring businesses engaged as well, this would be hugely beneficial. I'm not sure what a bunch of educators, parents and ed admin can achieve alone.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 1:49

May 12: How Do We Assess Teachers Forum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Looking toward the future of Jersey City, I know that improving the school system is going to be the cornerstone of reducing crime, increasing employment opportunities, improving property values, and providing a path to success for all children. With that in mind, I hope you can join us THIS Saturday, May 12 - 930AM at City Hall for a very special FREE forum about important changes for our schools.

The forum is sponsored by the NJEA (the largest statewide teachers\' union), Better Education for Kids, Jersey City Parents for Progress, and the N.J. Principals and Supervisors Association. I believe this kind of diverse partnership--between educators, administrators, parents, public officials, and the community--is the key to unlocking the huge potential we have here in Jersey City. Featuring top educators from across the state and moderated by veteran journalist John Mooney, this event will be a great step forward in public involvement towards our commitment to better education. I hope to see you there and please forward this email!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/5/7 21:01
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact