Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Kayaking in JC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/5 16:27
Group:
Registered Users
There is one at liberty state park. Near the golf course.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 16:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/15 14:31
From Coles St.
Group:
Registered Users
Been kayaking up north and was hoping some of you would inform me where there are launches near downtown jc and bayonne area. I was hoping to be able to go out along the hudson closer to jc but I am not familiar with kayaking in this area.

Posted on: 2012/5/2 18:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/5 16:27
Group:
Registered Users
Hello Brian,
Did you find a place to store your kayak?
Thanks,
Philip

Posted on: 2012/5/2 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I've paddled past the monument, and thought there should be a launch there. It's pretty ugly though, I'm glad JC turned it down. But it would have been preferable to what LSP got saddled with.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
brewster wrote:
Well, that's classic Hudson County, builder puts a required kayak launch 1/2 mile hike from parking and it's accepted as compliance!! Could it be someone got a yellow envelope?

Yeah as usual. I know people have said with Liberty National and BGC that the land was way too contaminated for the cities or county to clean up. Too much money to do it all. That?s why is was a good thing that developers purchased the land and built the clubs. "At least something is there" still doesn?t seem right. In the BGC all they really did was bring in tons of dirt and cover what was there.

I know the BGC walk has the launch I was standing on it last week. But from reading the HR piece I wonder if Bayonne is/was trying to get a launch built at the end of MOT. Down by the tear drop monument park. (to the struggle against world terrorism) It is a little park and it does have parking. The next time I go I will check it out. I don?t know if anyone has ever trekked to the tear drop. Even by car you just drive and drive and drive to get to the end of MOT. But I must say it is really impressive. Sad. It cry?s in the winter wind.

That whole ?peninsula city? at the old MOT really had bad timing. It would have been a really interesting community. Maybe it will pick up in the future again.

Put 14 port terminal blvd bayonne nj in Google map to see the end of MOT.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
After looking at Google map that is a longer walk than I thought. If you look the square in the water it is the little gray gravel peninsula that is sticking out at the lower right hand corner. By the bend with the word ?Hudson??

I recall there was a controversy between the city of Bayonne and the BGC. They wanted the launch out even further then it is. But the city said it was too far to walk with a kayak. Doesn?t seen like they listened.

Well, that's classic Hudson County, builder puts a required kayak launch 1/2 mile hike from parking and it's accepted as compliance!! Could it be someone got a yellow envelope?

Posted on: 2012/4/22 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
After looking at Google map that is a longer walk than I thought. If you look the square in the water it is the little gray gravel peninsula that is sticking out at the lower right hand corner. By the bend with the word ?Hudson??

I recall there was a controversy between the city of Bayonne and the BGC. They wanted the launch out even further then it is. But the city said it was too far to walk with a kayak. Doesn?t seen like they listened.

Here?s a 2006 Hudson Reporter piece ...

In addition, Dietrick cited the golf club for failing to construct a kayak launch as agreed to as part of the waterside development, unaware that the Bayonne Planning Board had asked the club to relocate the launch to a section of the former Military Ocean Terminal where parking exists nearer the water.

"If we constructed the Kayak launch where they original wanted it, people would have had to carry their kayaks - presumably on their backs - from the parking lot to the launch," D'Argenio said.

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... ing-government-regulation

It is still a nice walk...but I guess not with a kayak on your head. Maybe there is one planned closer to lot but I have not seen it.

Just another bit of history. That piece I put in about rt 440 not connected to rt 169 yet. The plan was to extend rt 440 along the Bayonne water front including Bayonne park all the way to the Bayonne Bridge.

It started to get expensive and the public started to say no. So the plan was then switched to connect rt 400 to rt 169 which goes to the Bayonne Bridge.

http://www.nycroads.com/roads/NJ-440N/

The cost of the northern section of the NJ 440 Freeway, which was estimated at $46 million in 1967, had skyrocketed to $133 million by 1976. A small, 0.5-mile-long section of the Bayonne Freeway between NJ 169 and West 63rd Street in Bayonne was constructed between 1968 and 1971.

By the mid-1970's, the NJ 440 Freeway had encountered significant public opposition. Some factors leading to the freeway's eventual demise were its potential adverse effects on the ecology of Newark Bay, infringement upon three parks in Bayonne, and restricted waterfront access.

In 1976, the NJ 440 Freeway proposal was offered in conjunction with an NJ 169 surface arterial along the east side of the Jersey City-Bayonne peninsula. Realizing the difficulties in completing the freeway, the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) stated the following in its draft environmental impact statement that year:

Further work on this project has been postponed pending comprehensive study of providing alternative means of providing this north-south link between existing NJ 440 and the Bayonne Bridge.

Citing inadequate traffic volumes for both routes to be constructed, the NJDOT dropped the proposed northern section of the NJ 440 Freeway in 1977. However, the road appeared on maps as late as 1990. On June 30, 1999, Governor Christine Whitman signed Chapter 150 of the laws of 1999, which officially de-designated the Bayonne portion of NJ 440 by repealing the law that originally designated the route. The statement submitted with the bill by its sponsors (one of whom, Assemblyman Joseph Doria, is also mayor of Bayonne) declared the following:

This bill repeals P.L.1959, c.57 that designates State Highway Route 440 in the city of Bayonne. Plans to construct Route 440 in the city of Bayonne were abandoned quite some time ago. This bill would thus act to delete what is essentially an obsolete reference in New Jersey's statutory law and permit the area of the proposed route to be available for other purposes.

At the site of the northern terminus, a new park may be developed on the vacant land (classified as "North 40") adjacent to the existing Stephen Gregg Park.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
You can park in the South Cove Plaza parking lot of Stop & Shop and Frank?s Theater. Over by the ?out of business? Ten East Restaurant.

It is not a long walk on the walkway to get to the launch.

I looked on Googlemaps and didn't see the launch path. Why can't one put in right next to the parking lot and skip the walk? When I kayak fish I got lots of crap with me.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I have not read the whole thread..don?t know if this was mentioned. Did you know there is a kayak launch in Bayonne I think one of a few. It is on the public water walkway along the Bayonne Golf Club Course (another pricey golf club like Liberty that the majority of JC/Bay will never enter).

You can park in the South Cove Plaza parking lot of Stop & Shop and Frank?s Theater. Over by the ?out of business? Ten East Restaurant.

It is not a long walk on the walkway to get to the launch. You can?t miss it there is a little path right off the main walk. Also a sign that says ?kayak launch?. Not to be confused with the yacht dock or helicopter pad that is further down the walk. They are for the BGCC members. (well excuse me)

For those of you who have never walked the walk it is really nice. Nice views of NYC, the golf course, the club house is spectacular. (I wonder what it looks like inside?) Nice walk over a few foot bridges. Go for a walk but watch out for errant golf balls as the signs warn.

Just a bit of kayak history. Any old-timers from JC or Bay remember Brother Cunningham aka Brother Ugh? (don?t ask) He?s the guy you saw kayaking every morning in Newark Bay in the 70?s at 6:00 am. He was a Brother at Marist High School in the 70?s. Great guy. He would put-in directly behind Marist. All of those roads that are active now were built but never used back then. They were waiting for money and plans to connect rt 440 to rt 169. Really cool play ground for the Marist kids.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

paulushooker wrote:
I'm headed for a paddle Sunday at 10AM off of Liberty State Park in the put-in on Morris Pesin Drive if anyone wants to join me.

It will likely rain at some point so bring some rain gear.

I think it's supposed to be REALLY nasty tomorrow; you might actually want to reconsider.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 2:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'm headed for a paddle Sunday at 10AM off of Liberty State Park in the put-in on Morris Pesin Drive if anyone wants to join me.

It will likely rain at some point so bring some rain gear.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 22:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/15 22:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone who is interested, please contact me directly at effy7@verizon.net

The offer we have is for year-round locked storage and a private launch. I will see about a water supply.

Most of you know space is at a premium on the downtown Jersey City waterfront. The kinds of amenities we are talking about may not come cheaply. The land-owner was interested to know if there was any interest at all, so I'm doing the research. If there are enough of us it may be doable.

Stephanie

Posted on: 2012/2/21 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
In for 2 maybe 3 spots...

Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/8 14:59
Group:
Banned
I'm definitely in for this. Its a canoe, but I'd probably get kayaks too if there was a place to keep them. What would be a fair price for one year? $100-200?

Posted on: 2012/2/17 18:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/17 11:12
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,
I am soon moving to Hoboken (next month) and I have 2 yaks. A 14 ft (sea) and 8.5 ft (whitewater) and I will obviously need a place to keep them now (no more garage, sniff sniff)

I was looking at NYKC, but is a bit expensive to store boats, plus it will be accross the Hudson.

So Stephanie, I would be interested for 2 spots depending on price and hours of operation. As I read earlier in the thread, times may be an issue, I do need to be able to get in and out during the night or early morning since I usually don't get back until late (if I am kayaking in PA or CT)

Also any kind of accomodation for rinsing kayak and gear would be awesome.

A friend send me this thread, so don't know much about the area but have kayaked the hudson several times and know some of the restrictions and safety measures to take.

Keep me updated.

Cheers,
Doris
(currently in Ireland for a few more weeks)

Posted on: 2012/2/17 11:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Would be interested if price is reasonable. Also, would be interested to know if there'll be a price that includes storage, and another price for no storage.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It's tempting, even though storage isn't a problem for me. If it was down there I might paddle the Hudson more often. I guess it would depend on the price, but obviously what I would be willing to pay is less than someone without any boat storage.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 0:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Steph, as you know, we're in with at least one boat

Posted on: 2012/2/16 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stephanie wrote:
I'm a novice, but thoroughly addicted kayaker. I'm in conversation with the folks over at Liberty Harbor North, and there is some willingness to get something going in the way of year-round, locked storage with key access to the marina 100 feet away. A ramp would be constructed off the existing dock. Roll your kayak into the water.

I'm trying to gauge the following:

1. interest in year-round storage with private access to the water
2. how much would you pay for this service

Clearly it has to be worth it for him, so it will take critical mass to accomplish this. There is room for around 30 kayaks.

Stephanie

I'm in.

Posted on: 2012/2/16 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Rutherford has a very active Kayaking club. Very big kayak house. Right off of Rte 3 & River Road in Rutherford. It is always very active. I know nothing about Kayaking, but, when I pass by there always a bunch of people in the River. Google it!

Posted on: 2012/2/16 22:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/15 22:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a novice, but thoroughly addicted kayaker. I'm in conversation with the folks over at Liberty Harbor North, and there is some willingness to get something going in the way of year-round, locked storage with key access to the marina 100 feet away. A ramp would be constructed off the existing dock. Roll your kayak into the water.

I'm trying to gauge the following:

1. interest in year-round storage with private access to the water
2. how much would you pay for this service

Clearly it has to be worth it for him, so it will take critical mass to accomplish this. There is room for around 30 kayaks.

Stephanie

Posted on: 2012/2/16 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
the hackensack riverkeeper is the bomb.

Posted on: 2011/8/17 2:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/16 21:12
Group:
Registered Users
I'm so glad people have mentioned Hackensack Riverkeeper on this thread! Our Paddling Center in Laurel Hill County Park in Secaucus is open every weekend from Earth Day to the last weekend in October.

We recently expanded our kayak fleet which the Jersey City Independent covered today: http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... ks-for-rentals-and-tours/

Finally, if you are in the market for a kayak we are raffling one off for the price of a $10 ticket! Tickets are available at the Paddling Center and we will soon be selling them online as well. I'll post the link on this thread when we are up and running!

Hope to see you on the River!

Posted on: 2011/8/16 21:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/21 6:06
Group:
Registered Users
my first paddle was last year. This year i have gone out on the Delaware a gaggle of times. Now im addicited! Im happy to see that there are fellow enthusiast paddlers roaming JC!!!

thanks for all the links. Im going to give the Hack a try soon.
This weekend (hopefully) LSP will still have the free Hudson River Tour i signed up for months ago.

We should start a GROUP!!

I need to buy a kayak though.
Craigslist has a few used kayaks that look reasonable. Any tips on avoiding on buying a LEMON?

Posted on: 2011/8/16 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Gotta be careful out there. I was out in Riverhead this weekend and went for a fishing paddle on the Peconic River's mouth. I made the mistake of going where I wanted to fish rather than upwind & tide. Sure enough, the wind really came up and I had a hell of a paddle getting back to my put in. Sore arms.

No bites. Water temp was 90!!

Posted on: 2011/7/18 3:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/19 15:00
Group:
Registered Users
Hey now that I have my boat in storage at Liberty Harbor Marina, if anyone wants to paddle together we should try to meet up! I can be reached at briandifeo[at]yahoo[dot]com.

Posted on: 2011/7/17 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://new.jcreservoir.org/
It's not much but The Reservoir up in the Heights has kayaking twice a year. They are open on Saturdays and fishing is open on Saturdays and on afternoon weekdays. It is next to Pershing Field Park

Posted on: 2011/7/10 2:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/19 15:00
Group:
Registered Users
Update: I am not going to use Liberty Storage on the south side of LSP because they close weeknights at 7pm and Sundays at 5pm - not very conducive to my paddling schedule.

Good News: I called Liberty Harbor Marina a few times over the weeks with no leads, so I stopped by there today. I met with the right person and he is happy to accommodate me and my kayak. Finally! I am waiting to hear back from him on the monthly cost but I am sure it will be less than the storage facility.

The spot will work out nice, it is their dry-dock area. They actually have an abandoned container/trailer that I can lock it up inside. I will be able to drive right up to my kayak any day until 9pm - perfect.

Also, the person there is very interested in accommodating a group of us if we wanted to band together and get a container or an actual structure very close to the water. Once I know what the price is for my kayak and begin keeping it there, I will start a new thread in hope of finding other Jersey City kayak enthusiasts that would be interested in organizing some sort of kayaking club.

Brian

Posted on: 2011/7/9 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bdif wrote:
dtjcview and brewster,

Thanks for the great idea and support! I like getting things like this done. I plan on visiting downtown boathouse and the brooklyn bridge kayak program this weekend and learn what I can about storage.

Cheers,

Brian

You might try getting through to the park director. I remember chatting with a ranger a few years ago as I was putting in, and he told me that the designated "car top launch" area was a result of the director being very supportive of kayaking. A thought: locating a container at the current cartop launch rather than at the boat launch would be more convenient and cut any possibility of launching interference between powerboats and kayaks.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
That is a great idea. If someone gets motivated enough to make the PODZ thing happen I will almost certainly take 2-3 spots (as long as it isn?t astronomically priced). I have wanted to buy kayaks for a while, without a place to store them I haven?t popped on the purchase.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 19:03

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017