Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
26 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 25

Webmaster, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Modern American Eatery (MAE) - Lafayette
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

colleen wrote:
I love the neighborhood, where else do you see cobblestones and 160 year old Dutch farmhouses next to repurposed factories and beautiful parks?

.... I'm missing something perhaps. Where are these?

Clearly you have no idea what area you are speaking of, or have no general knowledge of the area because you are too scared to venture out of downtown. Don't down our side of town because you are not cool enough to have had the pleasure to enjoy what we have to offer.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 23:34
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Shill,

Weather machine ordered ;) See you on the sunny side of the street.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 22:31
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Parking is street parking but I never have trouble finding a spot and if you are especially nice I may even give up my spot for you :)

Posted on: 2012/4/25 22:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:
I love the neighborhood, where else do you see cobblestones and 160 year old Dutch farmhouses next to repurposed factories and beautiful parks?

.... I'm missing something perhaps. Where are these?

Posted on: 2012/4/25 22:21
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Went Saturday night on a spur of the moment invite, in between rain showers. And we walked down from a friend's place by the Beacon. I guess everyone has a different sense of comfort based on their experience or fears. I love the neighborhood, where else do you see cobblestones and 160 year old Dutch farmhouses next to repurposed factories and beautiful parks?

Dinner was fantastico, service friendly, attentive, and th food was unpretentious yet still interesting. Great atmosphere, nice space and the crowd was much more Jersey City than downtown. We will def. be back

Posted on: 2012/4/25 17:37
Print Top

Hide User information
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I want to wish MAE the best. Personally, I'm really excited by the fact that good restaurants are expanding past the downtown area and that these new restaurant owners aren't underestimating JC residents and our hopes for food that goes beyond sliders and bar food.

We're in the heights and have to drive everywhere anyway, so I hope to try it out next time we're at liberty state park. How's the parking situation?

Posted on: 2012/4/24 23:09
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HankMcSchnitt wrote:
No taps?

Taps as in beers? Several craft beers on tap: Jever, Dale's Pale Ale, Six Point, Dogfish, a few others. They're all $5-$6.

Had a nice brunch on Sunday: the eggs benedict and french toast were both ferociously tasty. Great smoked pork & home fries with the eggs. We hung out for a long time reading the paper and enjoying their playlist and were never pressured to hurry.

Since I've been accused of "shilling" earlier in this thread, I hasten to add a potential area of improvement. The weather on Sunday was awful: freezing and torrential. I expect MAE to work on this in the future.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 21:12
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
No taps?

Posted on: 2012/4/24 19:37
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I was prepared to check it out on Sunday (4/22); however, I checked their website for the hours, and the only thing mentioned regarding brunch was that they were open on Saturday for brunch, with no mention of Sunday.. Perhaps other people saw that too, and figured Sunday brunch wasn't up and running yet.

Definitely will try again!

Posted on: 2012/4/24 15:10
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
SO excited to have a nice sit down restaurant in the area! Also, love seeing other residents of the Bergen-Lafayette all fired up about this, I can't wait to try! Supporting this restaurant will only attract more like-minded businesses and help make the community even better. See you soon MAE!

Posted on: 2012/4/24 14:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meowmix wrote:
Just returned from brunch - WOW! I loved it. I had the french toast, which was brioche with really delicious thick cut bacon on the side. My husband had biscuits and gravy, which he enjoyed very much. And at $12 pp it's a steal.

I appreciated the obvious focus on quality ingredients. There were many places they could have cut corners but didn't. Like the prosecco in the mimosa, and the maple syrup for the french toast. They used quality stuff, and it makes a difference.

I was sad to see that it wasn't that full. This is the same price as the Brownstone and not even the same planet in terms of quality. Everyone please visit this restaurant to make sure it sticks around!!

Hi Meow, I wholeheartedly concur with you and think you were seated down from my friend/neighbor and me as I was there today as well for brunch. The food/portions were good as well as the coffee and bloody mary that I had. My friend and I both had the eggs benedict and shared a half-order of the biscuits and pork gravy. I attributed it being somewhat empty because of the dismal weather and some people who erroneously think it's either out of the way or in an unsafe part of town. In any event, I live downtown and I drove up Grand, turned on Pacific and then on Communipaw, between 5-10 minutes door to door. When the weather is nice, one could easily take the light rail. In addition to the great food, I appreciated the atmosphere - the recycled salvaged furniture/theater seats, the old world bar, etc. and the music -- they were playing Louis Armstrong, Andrews sisters and maybe some Billie Holliday when I was there this afternoon.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 16:05
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Great place. Very good food, but the reasonable prices do come at the expense of portion size. Appetizers are mandatory if you want to leave satisfied. I do wonder at the location, I cant help thinking JSQ would be a better location; though admittedly I am biased since we in JSQ live in a culinary wasteland as well (though maybe not as bad as lafayette, we do have several lackluster chinese places to choose from). I will stop by once in a while, partially because I want to to support a good restaurant in an out of the way part of JC. I just wish it was closer, its the same distance from me as downtown is, 1.5 mi.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 13:12
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
Quote:

RebeccaS wrote:
..The Chinese takeout that the article in The Independent mentioned? We don't have one, I don't know where the author got that...

Hong Kong, on Baldwin just South of Communipaw.

That seems more like McGinley Square than Bergen-Lafayette.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 13:03
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Just returned from brunch - WOW! I loved it. I had the french toast, which was brioche with really delicious thick cut bacon on the side. My husband had biscuits and gravy, which he enjoyed very much. And at $12 pp it's a steal.

I appreciated the obvious focus on quality ingredients. There were many places they could have cut corners but didn't. Like the prosecco in the mimosa, and the maple syrup for the french toast. They used quality stuff, and it makes a difference.

I was sad to see that it wasn't that full. This is the same price as the Brownstone and not even the same planet in terms of quality. Everyone please visit this restaurant to make sure it sticks around!!

Posted on: 2012/4/22 12:20
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
nice place, long/deep bar with plenty of seating and tables along side and in the back area. simple and clean. at least one good euro beer on tap among others, and good food.

many Lafayette luminaries there or passing by ....

to understand the enthusiasm, recall M&P circa 2000 ...

Posted on: 2012/4/21 23:07
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RebeccaS wrote:
..The Chinese takeout that the article in The Independent mentioned? We don't have one, I don't know where the author got that...

Hong Kong, on Baldwin just South of Communipaw.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 20:28
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Shill? No. Cheerleaders? Yes. We have a restaurant desert in this neighborhood. The Chinese takeout that the article in The Independent mentioned? We don't have one, I don't know where the author got that.

And far from downtown it is not. I live exactly ten minutes from the Liberty Park Light Rail station and I live two blocks farther away from MAE. So, get out your walking shoes, get on your bike, and visit.

And the neighborhood? Please. The way with prices are at the restaurant, you could take a cab back to downtown and still come out ahead.

This is a wonderful restaurant with fantastic food, lovely people, reasonable prices, attractive decor . . . We are lucky and glad to have it here.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 18:23
Print Top

Modern American Eatery Brings Upscale Cuisine and Vintage Cocktails to the Bergen-Lafayette Neighbor
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
There’s a new upscale restaurant in Jersey City and it’s not in Downtown.

Modern American Eatery is in the Bergen-Lafayette neighborhood – in fact the only dine-in option in the area that’s not Chinese take-out or fried chicken.

It’s a few blocks away from the Liberty State Park Light Rail stop. Since the restaurant opened last week, it’s helped bring the community together, which is what the owners wanted. Their vision is to become a neighborhood institution, to grow with the community and provide a comfortable place to relax at the end of a hectic day.

“Artists, theater people, live around here. And every interaction has been positive,” says Noah Sexton, an attorney and owner of the restaurant. “This neighborhood has a stigma, but we found a lot of great people.”

He said that a lot of the artistic community, driven from Downtown, have found refuge in cheaper housing prices in the area and have reconnected through the restaurant. “People meetup with people they haven’t seen for years,” Sexton says. “This is a gathering place.”

When designing the restaurant, they sought regular feedback from residents of Bergen-Lafayette, who were very interested in its development. People were concerned that the owners would open a dive bar, says Sexton, and wanted to make sure they would open a business that would be a positive influence in the community.

Modern American Eatery regulars so far include JCI contributor Mamarama Jayne Freeman and “Master Sup” (pronounced “Soup”), a renowned mixed martial arts champion and gang prevention advocate, as well as musicians, actors, writers and other creative types.

“I’m still in shock that there’s an excellent restaurant in my neighborhood,” raves Freeman. “The few dishes I’ve had so far were sublimely delicious, and the staff could not be nicer or more genuinely enthusiastic about their menu. I want to dine there every day.”

The restaurant has a vintage aesthetic, represented in both its interior design as well as its cocktail list and menu.

“We wanted to tip our hats to the past,” says Sexton, who says that includes everything from the menu to the design of the bar – and decor details include theater seats that line the dining room wall, which come from a movie theater in Ohio, plus a dining seat that came from a “snooty” country club, as well as vintage U.S. military surplus shades.http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... n-lafayette-neighborhood/

Posted on: 2012/4/20 14:29
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
This place is excellent. Top three reasons why it is a great place to go.

1. The prices are completely reasonable
2. The food is flawless and unique to any other place in Jersey City
3. The place does NOT have an obnoxious attitude and it has a great mixture of people eating there.

I hope this place is succeeds as the food was flawless. If you go definitely try the lamb ribs. Really can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Also really great tap and bottle beer selection.

It's only a mile from liberty state park, ride your bike!

Posted on: 2012/4/19 21:39
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
MAE wants to thank all of you who have supported us over the last two weeks and we look forward to seeing you all again very soon. How about for brunch...this Saturday? Doors at 11, $12 includes entree, coffee and your first cocktail!

Posted on: 2012/4/19 0:04
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Went to MAE this past Saturday evening and had a delightful meal and drinks. Cocktails were great and the food was more than delicious. It was done in a way that showed a certain level of care and attention that you don't find just around the corner. Will be coming back often. Well done MAE.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 23:42
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
A Place like this has been a long time coming! good luck and great job guys.
will definitely patronize the place.
just because people don't live in downtown doesn't mean we won't want to spend or drink at a nice classy peaceful joint.
You have the backing of the community 100% guys!
There are more good people here than there are bad.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 15:52
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
My friend and I went in for dinner tonight and it was great. Service was done at a nice pace and the food was really enjoyable. I live in Paulus Hook and I was really surprised at how close it was (I do admit I don't get over that direction very often and I must say there were some gorgeous homes on the block!). There was plenty of parking on the street.

And what reasonable prices! My friend and I both had two courses and cocktails and spent about $60. Totally great. We will absolutely be going back.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 22:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I do not think that they are being "shill" honestly living over here we are super excited to have something as great as this place, to start off on such a great foot with good food, reasonable prices and a great atmosphere we can't help but be a little over-joyed for this!! I know I am I hope other people follow suit and open up more places... and for the guy who keeps saying he would not want to leave here late at night after drinks.. you run that risk anywhere and I would think even more so downtown.

See everyone there!

Posted on: 2012/4/15 19:33
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
It's a 5 minute walk from the Liberty State Park light rail.

Maybe with a skate board. It's a solid 10 minute walk, but we won't quibble.

It's refreshing to have a good option in the area. The food is good and just as important to me is that the owners give it a neighborhood feel and are very welcoming and aiming to please.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 15:20
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
getz011, i might be wrong on this but you are coming across as a shill.

That seems a little harsh. Feel free to read other things I've posted on JClist over the years. Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/4/15 13:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
getz011, i might be wrong on this but you are coming across as a shill.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 13:46
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Slowly working our way through the entire menu, but favorites so far include the Cubano (the house-cured pork is so soft it practically dissolves), charred lemon and eggplant spread, and pork stew.

It's also very worth mentioning how seriously reasonable the prices are. Almost everything is $12 or less, and you can pick up a really solid bottle of wine for ~$25. This is restaurant food for the same cost as pub food (or less!).

I've been several times now and remain really impressed by the level of effort and attention to detail displayed by everyone there. They've created an atmosphere that's so conducive to enjoying your food, drinks, and friends - music is great, no TV sports, karaoke nights, etc.

Can't wait for the courtyard, sidewalk dining, weekend brunches, rotating shows by JC artists, live music... did I forget anything?

... and yes, it's a really short walk from LSP light rail for anyone who can't drive/walk/bike here. Come to Lafayette - we won't bite! ;)

Posted on: 2012/4/15 13:25
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
It's a 5 minute walk from the Liberty State Park light rail. But yeah, if you live downtown no one is forcing you to come down here, lol. Also, this is an interesting way of looking at it: "I'm happy any time the expansion of downtown gets another neighborhood." I love how everything in jersey city is seen as an expansion of downtown. It's just a restaurant here in its own neighborhood, it doesn't have to be an expansion of downtown. Is every neighborhood south of Times Square an expansion of Times Square? Every neighborhood in Brooklyn an expansion of some other place? Each neighborhood has it's own uniqueness and developed in it own way. I just moved here from Brooklyn but it seems like most people think downtown is the only place worth talking about in JC...and maybe it is, what do I know...

Back to the topic, I went to MAE on Friday night, the drinks and food were really good, and the staff was super nice. I'm glad to have a place to go around here, it has a good vibe!

Posted on: 2012/4/15 9:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

od49 wrote:
As aside to "carless downtowners," it seems accessible by Light Rail.

Not really. You CAN go to the Garfield Ave stop and walk it, that's certainly within walking distance, ...

The Liberty State Park stop is MUCH closer.

Posted on: 2012/4/15 8:24
Print Top

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014