Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Port Authority police car, JCMC ambulance in collision in Downtown Jersey City
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
We will likely never got an honest account of what happened, but to flip a car I'd guess you have to be going 45 or over. I just don't see it at 25-35MPH... Anyone with stuntdriving experience care to weigh in?

Nah, depending on how it happened you can be going much slower and still be able to flip a car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2qzjdH46gY

Posted on: 2012/4/5 20:04

Re: Port Authority police car, JCMC ambulance in collision in Downtown Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
From the pictures, this is to me what it looks like happened:

PA vehicle was traveling on 8th street, went through intersection, and was hit by ambulance, probably in right rear quarter panel to spin the SUV around and also get it up on two wheels, and then over.

Ambulances are heavy vehicles, and besides, sometimes it doesn't take much to tip a high-center-mass vehicle over. I once saw a cargo van get pushed over by a Honda Accord at low speeds (below 25 mph). So, the ambulance could have been driven slowly and still tipped the SUV over.

Did the PA vehicle stop at the stop sign? Well, to get that much farther down the road from the intersection after getting hit, he would have had to have had some significant forward momentum. Maybe he went through the stop sign in one of those typical high-speed rolling stops I see pretty often. On the other hand, maybe he stopped, saw the intersection clear, and then proceeded through, only to see an ambulance barreling down at him at high speed; ambulance hits brakes (folks heard squeals), SUV hits gas to get out of the way, increasing his forward momentum, but still there is a collision.

So, it is a long-winded way of saying that either party could have been at fault. So don't jump to any conclusions.

The only thing I think is certain is that at least one of them did something wrong. . . .

Posted on: 2012/4/5 15:48
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
We will likely never got an honest account of what happened, but to flip a car I'd guess you have to be going 45 or over. I just don't see it at 25-35MPH... Anyone with stuntdriving experience care to weigh in?

Absolutely agree that corner parking needs to be enforced or buy a bunch of those barricades so it is physically impossible to corner park. Drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians all lose with the SUVs inevitably parked up against a corner...

Posted on: 2012/4/5 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Hmmm? Both vehicles are very heavy indeed but how fast does one or both have to be going to flip one over onto its roof? And it truly is a miracle that no child has been injured or killed yet by these careless accidents. The JCPD aggressively ticketed corner parkers in the Hamilton Park area for about 2 days and then stopped. Also, the speed limit should be 20mph on JC streets and strictly enforced.

Posted on: 2012/4/5 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
saw about 4 cruisers go hauling west past Hamilton Park so figured that wasn't a good sign.

My guess is the usual pulling out to try and see if it is clear while someone is flying along Brunswick...

My first guess as well. As someone who uses this intersection fairly often, it's another example of where cars are parked too close to the curb, and you're often in an unsafe position before you are able to see if the Brunswick traffic is clear.

Posted on: 2012/4/5 11:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
saw about 4 cruisers go hauling west past Hamilton Park so figured that wasn't a good sign.

My guess is the usual pulling out to try and see if it is clear while someone is flying along Brunswick...

Posted on: 2012/4/4 23:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users
So this happened literally half a block away from the Mr Softee truck that was parked at the 8th Street entrance to Enos Jones Park, with tons of kids around.

I heard screeching tires and a big crash (but no sirens, mind you) and my heart sank, knowing this is an area full of kids going to baseball practice, skateboard or play in the playground.

Luckily no one was hurt but come on, this is just a few weeks after the other Brunswick Street JCPD cruiser incident - which took place half a block away from a very busy school about an hour after school usually starts. I don't think there were any sirens that time either, but can't be sure. http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... p?topic_id=26382&forum=10

I think it's time to start going to those Captain's meetings, even though I realize that today's crash involved a PAPD car....

Posted on: 2012/4/4 23:45

Port Authority police car, JCMC ambulance in collision in Downtown Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
An Jersey City Medical Center ambulance and Port Authority police car collided in Downtown Jersey City late this afternoon, authorities have confirmed.
The crash between the two emergency vehicles happened at Eighth and Brunswick streets, said Mark Rabson, a spokesman for the Jersey City Medical Center.
An eye witness said that the police cruiser flipped on its roof.
No serious injuries were reported but one officer was taken to Jersey City Medical Center for evaluation, Rabson said.
Rabson said that the hospital and Port Authority "will do a full investigation" to looking into what caused the accident.
Rabson said that the ambulance suffered minor damage, which he said is able to be driven.
It is not clear at this time whether either vehicle was responding to an emergency at the time of the crash.
A Port Authority spokesman said he had no information regarding the accident at this time.
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rity_police_car_jcmc.htmlResized Image

Posted on: 2012/4/4 21:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017