Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Signs / Billboards in Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I've been told that the difference between the signs on the embankment and your windows and the billboard that started this whole thread is:

Things that existed before the law went into place (and I'm assuming before the neighborhood was officially historic) are allowed to remain. So you are allowed to have inappropraite windows if they've been there for a long time. Once you go to replace them, you have to put the right things in. Same with the signs on the embankment. THey were put up when they were allowed. Now that they aren't allowed, they are allowed to stay. But nobody is allowed to replace the structure/frame. Once they do that it's gone for good.

The difference between that and the cunningham billboard is that the cunningham billboard isn't "grandfathered" to exist like the embankment signs. Also the cunningham sign is not in a historic area so it is not allowed on the grounds that billboards are prohibited, not on historic issues.

Old nasty stuff can remain until it is replaced/removed. New stuff has to be legal and appropriate.

So you can't do much about the embankment signs unless you see them being taken down and put back up (this doesn't include the ad in the frame, just the frame).

Posted on: 2012/4/17 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dwntowntrain wrote:
They are changing the billboards at Coles and 6th right now. Let's confront them! CBS

I spent a bazillion $$ on "historically correct (Marvin) windows so as to preserve the neighborhood aesthetic." I cannot understand why the CBS sponsored signs are allowed all along the 6th Street Embankment ~ they're an eyesore.

Who specifically should we call and complain to?

Posted on: 2012/4/17 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Found this from April 7, 2011 , so if this signage is still up I guess it comes down on Saturday.

Case: P 06-018 475 Washington Blvd ? Monaco Approval for one (1) year interim use signage for banners and adjusted signage.

If these signs are up longer than they are allowed, the zoning office needs to write a violation and fine. I think the online complaint section of the city website has a place to report this.... I'll look into it. These signs are hideous.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Why not just deface the hell out of this shit instead?

Posted on: 2012/4/17 13:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
They are changing the billboards at Coles and 6th right now. Let's confront them! CBS

Posted on: 2012/4/17 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
That is interesting about the Cunningham sign. I did some digging on some other DTJC signage.

If you want to do searches on a property in the jc planning board minutes ?in Google type in an address and jersey city planning board after it.

Found this from April 7, 2011 , so if this signage is still up I guess it comes down on Saturday.

Case: P 06-018 475 Washington Blvd ? Monaco Approval for one (1) year interim use signage for banners and adjusted signage.

Didn?t find anything about the massive Liberty Harbor sign on Grand in the JCPB minutes but did find these two pieces about LH in other sources?.

Wednesday September 17, 2008, 6:55 PM

According to Planning Director Bob Cotter, Mocco sought and received Planning Board permission to have a temporary parking lot. But that was eight years ago and Mocco was only given permission to have the lot for three years, Cotter said.

Cotter said he didn't believe Mocco needed site approval from the Planning Board for the sign and temporary sales office since they are both temporary structures.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2008

Finally, an advertising billboard on Grand Street violates city codes, and the city is fining the developer more than $1,000.

???? is it the same massive sign that is up now???

Nothing on the 6 ugly non-historical signs on the JCMC (old JC museum) building at 350 Montgomery. The planning board should really get after them for that mess.

Posted on: 2012/4/6 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jklm wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
FYI: the planning board approved it.

Approved with conditions to a second review - there are conditions to make it more historical to the legacy of Mayor Cunningham and 10-Year-Anniversary (May 2012) of Foundation for kids. The design of the synthetic-cloth-like billboard (will be draped over sides of warehouse) was horrible according planning board member Leon Yost. A subcommittee will meet next week to review new design, color scheme and new body copy that was recommended by the board. The size will be reduced to 20x30, and the amount of time it will be up could be as little as three months to a year (no one stated time frame by the end of the discussion). Two people abstained from vote. The less time the better (imho) - the person submitting request was willing to have it up for only three months. Leon Yost said it wouldn't be up one day if the design wasn't improved.

Thanks for the thorough report, JLKM.
The problem is that if the Board didn't put an expiration date on it, they can say "3 months" or "1 year" until they're blue in the face but there is no legal means to make them take it down. The Board should have put that on the record and made it a requirement. Otherwise, let's see if a year (or two) from now it's still up. I sure hope not but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted on: 2012/4/5 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Approved with conditions to a second review - there are conditions to make it more historical to the legacy of Mayor Cunningham and 10-Year-Anniversary (May 2012) of Foundation for kids. The design of the synthetic-cloth-like billboard (will be draped over sides of warehouse) was horrible according planning board member Leon Yost. A subcommittee will meet next week to review new design, color scheme and new body copy that was recommended by the board. The size will be reduced to 20x30, and the amount of time it will be up could be as little as three months to a year (no one stated time frame by the end of the discussion). Two people abstained from vote. The less time the better (imho) - the person submitting request was willing to have it up for only three months. Leon Yost said it wouldn't be up one day if the design wasn't improved.

Posted on: 2012/4/5 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/4/4 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
FYI

Article V sec 345-68 B 4a

The following signs are prohibited:
No billboards or other off-site advertising signs shall be erected, used or maintained within the City of Jersey City except in the CBD Central Business District.

...guess this gets to be the exception to the rule.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
FYI

Article V sec 345-68 B 4a

The following signs are prohibited:
No billboards or other off-site advertising signs shall be erected, used or maintained within the City of Jersey City except in the CBD Central Business District.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
as an update, I never got an official follow up from Councilman Fulop. I never heard a peep from Councilwoman Richardson (how do you get elected if you ignore your constituents?), and I only got an acknowledgement email from Councilman Lavarro.

Nevertheless, I did glean the info that was mentioned in an earlier post from a chain of emails I was privy to.

I hope to attend the meeting on Tuesday but the 5:30 start time is difficult.

Will anyone else be present?

Posted on: 2012/4/1 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ok sorry I thought it was near the powerhouse.
There are two signs so I imagine it faces oncoming traffic from both streets.

Posted on: 2012/3/30 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Is anyone on here in the Powerhouse Artists Group? I wonder how they feel about this since it is in their backyard.

580 Marin Blvd. is at the exit of the Holland Tunnel - nowhere near PAD.
So which direction will the billboard be facing? Those people driving on Marin toward Hoboken? Drivers exiting Holland Tunnel wouldn't be able to view it.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Is anyone on here in the Powerhouse Artists Group? I wonder how they feel about this since it is in their backyard.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
heck you're right. I can't blame the owners, if someone offered to pay me the rent I bet this takes in I would want to do it too!! (legally, of course)

Quote:

neverleft wrote:

Wonder who makes up THE FOURTEEN FLORENCE STREET CORP they are the owners of the property.

If they get one I want on my roof, I heard you can get big bucks for renting billboards and cell transponders.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've gotten a chain of discussion emails between city officials and Councilman Fulop. None were addressed directly to me but I have been included in the conversation. From what I can tell, Fulop opposes it but the Planning Board or Planning Officer supports it for a year or so. I also read that billboards nearby were opposed in the past but this time it is "different". Perhaps because the Cunningham foundation is a non-profit (but, Ms. Cunningham is a politician and I've heard she might run for mayor!). Even if it is the best most beautiful and generous and well-regarded non-profit on the entire planet, why would we want a billboard? Aren't there more tactful and attractive ways to advertise yourself? And if you were really that great why would you want to do something that is not allowed?

I wonder if it would be useful to contact the cunningham people and tell them they suck? (nicely, of course)

Posted on: 2012/3/29 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Great.

This is from the planning board site...

9. Case: P12-017 Minor Site Plan ? Interim use
Applicant: Sandra & Glenn Cunningham Foundation
Attorney: George Garcia
Review Planner: Kristin Russell
Address: 580 Marin Blvd.
New Block: 7201 Lot: 1
Zone: Newport Redevelopment Plan
Description: 40?x40? Billboard

Wow I guess it will be going up on the roof of 580 Marin.

Put the address in google map, nice high traffic location.

Wonder who makes up THE FOURTEEN FLORENCE STREET CORP they are the owners of the property.

If they get one I want on my roof, I heard you can get big bucks for renting billboards and cell transponders.

(speaking of cell transponders?do some digging into who owns 430 Danforth Ave. that?s the property with the massive cell towers on Rt 440. ) (that one tower is so big it even has it?s own listing in the JC Online Tax inquiry) (hmmm)

Posted on: 2012/3/29 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I emailed the councilpeople (Ward E and at large) and they are investigating. I will let you know what happens.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm going to try to go to the meeting on Tuesday but it apparently starts at 5:30 and i can't always get home from work by then. But I'll try my best. Is anyone else going? I am going to email Fulop now. From what I can tell he's not on the planning board but does he get a say?

Posted on: 2012/3/28 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I?ll throw in two more DTJC signs?

1- The Liberty Harbor free standing "for sale" sign on Grand and River streets across from the Brownstone. That thing is 3 stories tall and 50 feet wide. Who approved that sign being there? It would most likely fail any safety inspection it is supported by steel girders jerry rigged together.

2- The old fire house across from the old Toasty Bagel place on Bright/Grand. It has a banner with gigantic pictures of the two realtors stretched across one of the buildings. Girls you look horrible in those pictures especially now that the banner is all faded and wrinkled. (time warp to 20 years from now)

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
I was told by the planning officer that the ONLY place in town that billboards are allowed is Journal Square. So this nonsense in historic districts is crazy. Why aren't the neighborhood groups causing a fuss?

Go to their meetings and find out. Call the council.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 12:50
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was told by the planning officer that the ONLY place in town that billboards are allowed is Journal Square. So this nonsense in historic districts is crazy. Why aren't the neighborhood groups causing a fuss?

Posted on: 2012/3/28 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Heights? I don?t know the zoning law?but I looked at the zoning map from 2009. 350 Montgomery is in a historic district and the Montgomery Street Redevelopment area.

Put 350 Montgomery Street Jersey City in Google Map and pull up the street view. Those banner/signs on the (old) JC Museum are cool. They fit into the neighborhood. Very artsy ? the color and style are perfect for the area.

If I lived in that hood I would be on the phone with City Hall telling them to force the JCMC to take down those 6 JCMC advertisements. Freakin? 1-800 number bright blue signs on a beautiful brick and brownstone historical building lined street. Disgusting! Who approved the signs?

jc_dweller speaking of out of place DTJC campaign signs?there is no truth to the rumor that Steve F. is going to sponsor the JCMC building and put up a campaign sign. Someone mentioned it was going to be a group shot of smirking Team Healy with the caption ?.?Have you had a colonoscopy recently? Call for an appointment today at the JCMC. ?

HP ? interesting old school JC idea..or at least get Ron English put one of his cool billboards over it.(and the ones at the JC Museum)

Personal side note: all kidding aside?. I had one a few months ago ..not bad at all. Just do it!

Posted on: 2012/3/27 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
The billboards mounted to 6th Street Embankment are an eyesore - particularly those advertising "Divorce $399 & Spouse Need Not Be Present."

I was under the impression that billboards were banned from the historic district also. Was sharing a laugh with the neighbors last week and they joked about slapping a ladder up, donning a hat and uniform. grabbing a power drill gun and removing them all!

Tell me who to call and complain to and I'll f/up.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Heights, you're right I shouldn't have said the planning board WILL approve it. They vote. I expect they'd approve it since it opens the doors for other politicans to do the same, which would suit city hall and I think city hall at a minimum influences the planning board.

The advertisement is for Sandra Cunningham. Exactly what the words are I have no idea. It was the size as much as the content that offended me. And the fact that private stores can't do this but a politician is given a pass.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Did you see the beautiful new signage at 350 Montgomery Street on the old Jersey City Museum building which is now the new JCMC building? Six massive blue signs draped over the front and sides of the building advertizing the JCMC . Does the JCMC really need to advertize IN Jersey City?

Also isn?t 350 Montgomery smack dab in the middle of a DT historic district? (or very close)

Hey they at least gave the City Council a warning a few weeks ago that they were going to do it? I guess the JCMC advertisements are just temporary until they find a sponsor. Just think in the future you may very well be seeing an advertisement for maybe KFC and the JCMC. ?We give all of our chicken?s breast exams, had one lately? Set up an appointment today at the JCMC.?

?JCMC CEO Joe Scott told the City Council last night that he is seeking a sponsor to pay to have the sponsor's name placed on the building.?

Also what is the zoning law regarding advertising signage on buildings ? I see it all the time on those huge apartment towers down by the river in the Newport section of J.C.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Did you see the beautiful new signage at 350 Montgomery Street on the old Jersey City Museum building which is now the new JCMC building? Six massive blue signs draped over the front and sides of the building advertizing the JCMC . Does the JCMC really need to advertize IN Jersey City?

Also isn?t 350 Montgomery smack dab in the middle of a DT historic district? (or very close)

Hey they at least gave the City Council a warning a few weeks ago that they were going to do it? I guess the JCMC advertisements are just temporary until they find a sponsor. Just think in the future you may very well be seeing an advertisement for maybe KFC and the JCMC. ?We give all of our chicken?s breast exams, had one lately? Set up an appointment today at the JCMC.?

?JCMC CEO Joe Scott told the City Council last night that he is seeking a sponsor to pay to have the sponsor's name placed on the building.?

Posted on: 2012/3/27 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
You are not over reacting. How do you know if the planning board will approve this ? I would go down and protest this to the board. In addition, what type of advertisement is on the billboard ? Have you gone to the zoning board to question how this was applied ?

Posted on: 2012/3/27 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you...I don't want to see billboards all over the place especially in the historic districts. If they want to put it up by the tunnel fine but not in residential areas.

Posted on: 2012/3/27 13:01

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017