Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What does Downtown Jersey City need in a new restaurant?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Hey ladybert,
What if poor Mom And Dad are vegetarians? Doubly screwed then!

Posted on: 2012/3/26 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
a lot of the 'nice' restaurants in JC are very meat-heavy restaurants. i could take mom and dad out to dinner with no problem, but not so much a visiting vegetarian or vegan friend.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The lack of high quality dining probably has a lot to do with the type of people that serve as the customer base. Half the people here are advocating for crap like White Castle and Lone Star or yet another east Asian fusion hell hole. Given that most of the people here seem to have the palate like a horse's backside, I'd recommend deep frying everything and serving it on a bed of fresh beef steak with a side of sweet and sour sauce.

I agree, no one is asking for a real upscale place and if one was here all you'd hear on this site is "it's too expensive so I'll only go there on special occasions maybe". I think you've nailed the JC demographics, the price point is $10.00 or less per meal, the dollar store equivalent in dining.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Open up a White Castle you know you all want one closer to you. The Harold & Kumar trips to the JScare WC are getting a bit much. Your mouth is watering reading this isn?t it? You got the craving for a Crave Case right now don?t you?

Ok if the name is a little harsh for you DTJC elite just change the sign to Castillo Blanco that will class it up a bit. Everything sounds classier in a foreign tongue. Like wine and vino, beer and cerveza, Snooki and err ..Snooki ok so some words sound more classy.

Back in the day of my closing bars on LI, my personal preference was for a 4am assault on "Le Fortress Blanc". But one Downtown would be awful for my waistline. Have you tried the fish nuggets? they're simply amazing!!

Posted on: 2012/3/26 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The lack of high quality dining probably has a lot to do with the type of people that serve as the customer base. Half the people here are advocating for crap like White Castle and Lone Star or yet another east Asian fusion hell hole. Given that most of the people here seem to have the palate like a horse's backside, I'd recommend deep frying everything and serving it on a bed of fresh beef steak with a side of sweet and sour sauce.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
How about an affordable char-broil steak & chops place that serve big hearty oven baked potatoes. Years ago the Bonanza/Rodeo on 440 served that type of menu you grabbed a tray, ordered your food...cooked to order, paid and sat down with tray in hand. Kind of like the Lone Star or Long Horn without the wait staff. Simple, cut and dry no hastle dining.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 11:40
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
There is a great halal Chinese restaurant called Amins....just off of India Square.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 8:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
A kosher chinese restaurant.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 7:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
A solid, affordable Korean place. A consistent Caribbean place that makes awesome doubles.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 5:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to see a late night or all night place. A really nice Japanese/sushi place, Korean BBQ, regular BBQ, seafood, an Iberian peninsula place with some dynamite paella (porto is OK but falls short) and rodizio, a quality greek place, same with italian... all of those are missing from here.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Open up a White Castle you know you all want one closer to you. The Harold & Kumar trips to the JScare WC are getting a bit much. Your mouth is watering reading this isn?t it? You got the craving for a Crave Case right now don?t you?

Ok if the name is a little harsh for you DTJC elite just change the sign to Castillo Blanco that will class it up a bit. Everything sounds classier in a foreign tongue. Like wine and vino, beer and cerveza, Snooki and err ..Snooki ok so some words sound more classy.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
A 24-hour diner.

It can have some fresh food (daily specials), but it needs the basics, breakfast at anytime would be nice - BUT it needs to be open after 11p and NOT close. Ideally it should be near Grove St PATH to catch all those coming back from the city.
It's impossible to get a cooked meal after 10:30p without having to hurry up with eating and enduring the smell of the kitchen getting cleaned up.

Will the renovated Flamingo still be 24 hour and have its liquor license??

Posted on: 2012/3/26 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Anybody remember Exterminator Chili on Church St? 4 varieties of chili every day, including 1 vegetarian. It's a great model for both a lunch & dinner crowd, and is obviously expandable in the tex-mex or fusion direction. Many of the nicer dinner places downtown are way too pricey for most working folks to lunch.

But it sounds like you have your heart set on another quasi-euro-fusion and likely overpriced and too loud place. Excuse me, I've go to go chase some kids off my lawn....

Posted on: 2012/3/26 1:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/25 15:12
Group:
Registered Users
Not too specific on the type of cuisine, cause there is so much variety out there, but somewhere with a rotating menu based on what is available and in season. When I go to Lee's food market and pick out what I'm going to make for dinner that week, I look and see what vegetable is freshest. If I see a good looking bunch of asparagus, I'm making asparagus. If I see nasty looking roma tomatoes, I'm not going to buy them.

What if one day you had the option of a stewed tomato, onion, and shredded chicken breast served in a corn tortilla w/ a side of jicama w/ corn, black beans, red pepper, cilantro, scallion & lime

or a roasted filet of salmon w/ Ginger & Lime paired with Quinoa with fresh cucumber, tomato, lemon & parsley & mint.

Where can I get anything in Jersey City that's that fresh?

Where the crispness of the vegetables snaps in your mouth and tantalizes my taste buds.

Where can I find a mixture of cooked and raw on the same plate, that will provide all the nutrients that my body needs to function daily?

Posted on: 2012/3/26 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
how about a donut factory type place

Posted on: 2012/3/26 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Enitsirk67 wrote:
I would really like to see some healthy options (NOT SALADS!). I am studying to be a dietitian, I cook dinner for my boyfriend and I every night. Sometimes, life gets hectic and I would prefer to order food, but I have no options. I like Gypsy Grill/Ibby's or Subia's even though I am not vegan. But, what else is there?

Since I am such a nut about food, I am truly disgusted with the dining in Jersey City, quality, creativity, cleanliness. I've actually waitressed at a few restaurants, who shall remain nameless, and I guarantee you, it's nasty (nicer restaurants) you'd be surprised, I've brought up sanitation issues to them, and they Don't care!

I just really wish I had some clean eating, you know, real food, made thoughtfully, healthfully, perhaps something that still has some nutrients left in it after you're done with it. I really feel desperate, I often wonder how I live in such a great city, with such bad food?

Help!

P.S. No more sandwiches...Please

like wut tho

Posted on: 2012/3/26 1:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i like ethiopian and moroccan but i doubt djc could support these. there was a moroccan resto (casablanca) on grove street. i think hoboken could support them but it has a masse of people who dine lovcally

Posted on: 2012/3/26 0:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/3 22:10
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
If something was on Newark Ave and stayed open all night, you could make a killing off of the after-bar crowd

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/3/26 0:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/25 15:12
Group:
Registered Users
I would really like to see some healthy options (NOT SALADS!). I am studying to be a dietitian, I cook dinner for my boyfriend and I every night. Sometimes, life gets hectic and I would prefer to order food, but I have no options. I like Gypsy Grill/Ibby's or Subia's even though I am not vegan. But, what else is there?

Since I am such a nut about food, I am truly disgusted with the dining in Jersey City, quality, creativity, cleanliness. I've actually waitressed at a few restaurants, who shall remain nameless, and I guarantee you, it's nasty (nicer restaurants) you'd be surprised, I've brought up sanitation issues to them, and they Don't care!

I just really wish I had some clean eating, you know, real food, made thoughtfully, healthfully, perhaps something that still has some nutrients left in it after you're done with it. I really feel desperate, I often wonder how I live in such a great city, with such bad food?

Help!

P.S. No more sandwiches...Please

Posted on: 2012/3/26 0:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/23 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
A few more dynamite sandwiches are always welcome.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCfulrod wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think the consensus so far is the need for high quality fine dining which is lacking right now in JC. Although there are a couple places like Satis which I think do have high quality food and wait staff, I do agree that its one of a very few. If and when we're able to open a restaurant, it will be casual fine dining with emphasis put on consistently high quality food and service with a seasonal menu. It likely won't be a seafood restaurant, but will have a significant number of seafood dishes. Please keep the suggestions coming.

All the wish list suggestions are good but before you invest your cash and time you should get statistics on the demographics of JC for income and makeup of the various neighborhoods to see what type of restaurant will be supported. If you do this I think you will be able to created a focused business model to support your concept. I hate to see people with good intentions open a business to see it fail 6-8 months later.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I think a good Gastropub/microbrewery would be a hit, or a Spanish-style Tapas bar.

And both have options for drawing in customers in multiple ways...new beer tastings, salsa nights.....

Posted on: 2012/3/25 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I've only eaten at Satis once, but I wouldn't even call it great. It's definitely better than average for downtown JC, but again, it's not a restaurant you'd travel to Jersey City to patronize. But I do give Satis credit for being pretty good. Better than decent.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 18:14
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think the consensus so far is the need for high quality fine dining which is lacking right now in JC. Although there are a couple places like Satis which I think do have high quality food and wait staff, I do agree that its one of a very few. If and when we're able to open a restaurant, it will be casual fine dining with emphasis put on consistently high quality food and service with a seasonal menu. It likely won't be a seafood restaurant, but will have a significant number of seafood dishes. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Downtown JC is missing the following (IMO):

But, as stated above, what we're really missing is quality. We have a lot of places that are OK a few that are pretty good and a lot of places that are meh. We don't actually have any restaurants downtown I would travel to JC to eat in if I didn't live here.

Although the real restaurant attractions are outside of the Downtown area in other parts of J.C.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:25
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown JC is missing the following (IMO):

Real Mexican
good Italian (but we have a million pizza places)
Someplace that does seafood well
BBQ
Something our of the ordinal Ethiopian, Moroccan etc.

But, as stated above, what we're really missing is quality. We have a lot of places that are OK a few that are pretty good and a lot of places that are meh. We don't actually have any restaurants downtown I would travel to JC to eat in if I didn't live here.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/21 13:30
From jsq
Group:
Registered Users
Actually J.C could use a seafood place that specializes in Oysters,Clams etc.. but is moderately priced.Kind of like Hanks in D.C.,but not a chain restaurant like Crab Shack.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with a lot of these comments. JC has a lot of comfort food already. Bar food, whatever you want to call it. Enough with the sliders and mac and cheese. I'd love to see something really interesting and unique.

And quality-wise I'd love to see something better than "decent." There is truly a lack of really great restaurants in this town. Get yourself a creative chef.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
attentive and responsive wait staff?????

Posted on: 2012/3/25 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is missing QUALITY above everything else, but if you're talking in terms of a kind of restaurant, my wish is to see an izakaya style Japanese restaurant open up (probably about the same time Trader Joes and Whole Foods arrive lol), but in the meantime we have about six mediocre-at-best sushi restaurants in the area, and knowing Jersey City they will all thrive because they are good enough, and sushi is authentic enough for Jersey City. Whatever you are intending to open, all I ask is that you serve quality food. If you can do that you'll be head and shoulders above everyone else, because mediocrity truly reigns in this city.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 19:43

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017