Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Determining 2 vs 3 family

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/19 19:29
Group:
Registered Users
no, there's two units above me (one on each floor) and then my basement unit.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mightybigminus wrote:
Just of curiosity I looked up the building I rent in and got this code: 2S-BT-F-D-3U-H

I rent the basement unit, so I think that's what "BT" stands for.

Are there 3 other units in the building besides your basement apartment ? There are very few legal basement apartments in Jersey City. I knew of a couple the rented their basement apartment reported the rent on their income tax and it turned out that the basement was illegal they had to move but all of their rent was returned which helped them to find a new place.

Posted on: 2012/2/27 5:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/19 19:29
Group:
Registered Users
Just of curiosity I looked up the building I rent in and got this code: 2S-BT-F-D-3U-H

I rent the basement unit, so I think that's what "BT" stands for.

Posted on: 2012/2/27 1:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think the B means basement, not brick.

i.e. The building above is 3 stories + basement.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/2/13 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Looks like 3Story - Brick - Commercial(?) - 2Unit - No Heat.
All you have to do is bring the above code to the Tax Assessors Office & they will be more than happy to tell you. I would let what the City has on record be my guide before the lender because anything you do in the future with the building will be dealt with by the City.

SMART advice !

Posted on: 2012/2/12 21:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FSJR9 wrote:
I'm experiencing the same situation with a house I'm considering purchasing. City hall and my lender are each telling me the house is zoned differently and it's impacting the type of mortgage I'll need. Can anyone tell me how to read this code: 3S-B-C-2U-NH ?

Looks like 3Story - Brick - Commercial(?) - 2Unit - No Heat.

All you have to do is bring the above code to the Tax Assessors Office & they will be more than happy to tell you. I would let what the City has on record be my guide before the lender because anything you do in the future with the building will be dealt with by the City.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 20:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/29 11:11
Group:
Registered Users
I'm experiencing the same situation with a house I'm considering purchasing. City hall and my lender are each telling me the house is zoned differently and it's impacting the type of mortgage I'll need. Can anyone tell me how to read this code: 3S-B-C-2U-NH ?

Posted on: 2012/2/12 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
My questions/concerns are:
Is it feasible/possible that city will let me change it back to a 3 family in an R-1 zone?
If I am able to get a 3 family zoning, will I need to bring it to "current codes"? Current codes as I understand would mean I need to sprinkle the common areas.

Is it relevant at all that the building was built as a legal 3 family, but is now a 2 fam?

Anybody know or know what city agency I call next for these answers?

Thanks so much!

The bigger question is if you are prepared to play the game it takes. If it seems more complicated than it should when you talk to city officials, remember, some of these crooks make it that way until a fat envelope comes their way.

This isn't a game for civilians, you would need a lawyer who specializes in this. In Real Estate, you're always the sucker at the table, even your own attorney is can only be trusted so far, after you're gone he's still going to be doing business daily with the rest of the players. It's scary how many people hire attorneys referred by the broker!

Posted on: 2012/2/6 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
Is it feasible/possible that city will let me change it back to a 3 family in an R-1 zone?
If I am able to get a 3 family zoning, will I need to bring it to "current codes"? Current codes as I understand would mean I need to sprinkle the common areas.

Is it relevant at all that the building was built as a legal 3 family, but is now a 2 fam?

Thanks so much!

The bigger question is if you are prepared to play the game it takes. If it seems more complicated than it should when you talk to city officials, remember, some of these crooks make it that way until a fat envelope comes their way.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Thanks so much!

You have to go to the Zoning Board. Call the Division of City Planning or go to the City website for an application for the Zoning Board. And yes if you get permission to change it to a 3 family there is extensive fire code (sprinklers, most importantly, and I don't think just common areas but you can find out for sure with the building department) that you have to install.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 16:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Called the assessor's office yes, the codes given by "tern" and "heightsbrat" are correct.

According to the assessor's office the building in question was a 3 family as recent as the '80's. For whatever reason it was downgraded to a 2 family. I suspect owners did not want to go through inspections that were required to maintain the 3 family status.

The person on the phone could not give me info on what it takes to get it back to a 3 family or if it is even possible.

It is in a R-1 zone. There are numerous apartment buildings and legal 3 family homes in the immediate neighborhood.

Thanks so much!

Posted on: 2012/2/6 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
yes, 2U means there are 2 units in the building. If you want to find out what you are ALLOWED to have you should call the zoning officer. They will tell you if you are allowed to add a third unit or not, depending on your location.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
Thanks.
The house I am concerned about has "3S-B-D-2U" as a building description.
There is an identical house next door. It also has 3 floors with an apartment on each floor. It has a current "green card" and 3 tenants living legally in it. I am sure it was built at the same time, it is identical in size, layout and finishes. Its Building description is "3S-B-D-3U-H"
Anybody know the difference?
I will call the assessor's office tomorrow.
Again Thanks!

This is an easy one. "3S-B-D-2U" stands for if I am not mistaken - 3 Story - Brick - Detached - 2 Unit. "3S-B-D-3U-H" I think stands for 3 Story - Brick - Detached - 3 Unit - Heated.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 13:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks.
The house I am concerned about has "3S-B-D-2U" as a building description.
There is an identical house next door. It also has 3 floors with an apartment on each floor. It has a current "green card" and 3 tenants living legally in it. I am sure it was built at the same time, it is identical in size, layout and finishes. Its Building description is "3S-B-D-3U-H"
Anybody know the difference?
I will call the assessor's office tomorrow.
Again Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/2/5 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The tax record tells you, but it is not obvious what to look for.
http://tax1.co.monmouth.nj.us/cgi-bin ... &out_type=0&district=0906

There is a field called "Bldg Desc" which you need to look at. It will say something like this:
Bldg Desc: 3S-BT-B-D-3U

The 3U at the end means it is a three family (short for 3 Unit I presume).

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Call the tax assessor's office at city hall. They have the records you are looking for.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 22:01

Determining 2 vs 3 family
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi,
How do I find out how many family an old home is "rated" for?
Situation is I found a home built in the 1920's here in JC. It is 3 stories tall, plus a basement. Each floor has an apartment on it.
For the last 10 years or so the home has been occupied only on the top floor by the elderly owner. All the other floors have been vacant.
So how do I know for sure that I am purchasing a 3 family? Is there a data base I can access? I checked tax and tax valuation records, did not learn anything that way.
I do not believe any "green card inspections have been done for some time, since only the owner was living in the house.
It is equally obvious that it was built as a three family. there is a kitchen and a bath laid out on each and every floor.

Any help or advice appreciate.
Thanks

Posted on: 2012/2/5 21:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017