Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Attending the J.C. Public Schools
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Heights, Glad you answered. Gave me some things to ponder in my thinking.
Best!

Posted on: 2012/2/28 1:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asdfdf23 wrote:
Heights, I hope you agree these are very hard questions, no good or right answer I think.
*A kid comes to US with parents illegally at 1 years old. Kid is educated and raised in US culture, does well in school.
*17 years later at 18 years old kid discovers he/she is alien and is going to be deported to a culture/country never lived in does not identify with.
*Send the kid back? What is gained? As a country we lost a productive person that was going to enter the workforce, buy things, and pay taxes. Either now, or in in a few short years as a college graduate.
*Would it say good things or bad things about a country that sent the kid away?
Your thoughts?

*As with bad kids as well as good, the parents are at fault here they are using the kid as a ticket to ride into the U.S.A. not a good policy to practice.
*The kid should have been told of the consequences that were bestowed upon him.
*If there is something that denotes for the offspring of the illegal parents allowing the kid upon his adulthood for permanent residence such as a worthwhile contribution to the country while making sure the parents are properly deported then yes let the kid stay.
*It would say bad things about the country if they let the kid stay totally contradicting it's immigration policies.

Posted on: 2012/2/27 14:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

A kid comes to US with parents illegally at 1 years old. Kid is educated and raised in US culture, does well in school.
17 years later at 18 years old kid discovers he/she is alien and is going to be deported to a culture/country never lived in does not identify with.
Send the kid back? What is gained? As a country we lost a productive person that was going to enter the workforce, buy things, and pay taxes. Either now, or in in a few short years as a college graduate.
Would it say good things or bad things about a country that sent the kid away?

.......Regardless, the parent(s) who brought them here illegally, and then never made an effort to become legal, are shirking their parental responsibility of ensuring their kids wellbeing, safety and security. Don't blame the government. Blame the parents.

Bodipooh,
Respectfully I believe you totally sidestepped the question.
Sure, I grant you the parents are at fault. But does that mean the kid should be punished and sent away?
Would you have a kid that grew up under my scenario, was also a long time school friend or maybe even a church (temple, synagogue etc) friend of your kid sent away for the crimes of the parents?
If so, why?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/2/25 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

A kid comes to US with parents illegally at 1 years old. Kid is educated and raised in US culture, does well in school.
17 years later at 18 years old kid discovers he/she is alien and is going to be deported to a culture/country never lived in does not identify with.
Send the kid back? What is gained? As a country we lost a productive person that was going to enter the workforce, buy things, and pay taxes. Either now, or in in a few short years as a college graduate.

The questions wasn't directed at me, but this is a recurring topic of conversation at home. My wife is a not a US citizen, but we share the same opinion: illegal aliens who come to this country are breaking the law. There are ways to come to this country legally, and many foreigners follow the rules to do so. While you can criticize the system and find faults with it, there IS a system for people to immigrate to our great country LEGALLY. Heck, even illegal aliens can seek to become legal residents and have options/possibilities to do so. Additionally, and more to the heart of your question, placing the blame on the US for enforcing immigration laws (and, thus, deporting illegal aliens and/or illegal residents who were brought here as kids) is a case of misplaced blame. While it is sad, and (perhaps) not an ideal situation, the blame should be place squarely on the parents. As parents, I believe it is our responsibility to look after our kids, to care for them, and to provide for their wellbeing. Parents who bring their kids here illegally and then fail to try to formalize their residency status are saddling their kids with the burden of a living in constant fear of deportation. Sometimes, some kids may not even realize they are illegal aliens. Regardless, the parent(s) who brought them here illegally, and then never made an effort to become legal, are shirking their parental responsibility of ensuring their kids wellbeing, safety and security. Don't blame the government. Blame the parents.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Snowflake20 wrote:

Quote:
Also I have to ask...why would anyone want to put their kid in a JC school if they live somewhere else? It's not like the schools here are top notch. Unless we are talking about McNair.

Bingo. And also - the fact that Jersey City is an Abbot district is all the more reason why outsiders SHOULD have access, if they want it. Jersey City pays less than 20% of the school district's budget each year - the state pays close to 3/4. If I lived somewhere else and sustained a head injury that left me with a desire to send my children to an underperforming Jersey City public school - I'd feel entitled as a tax payer of the state of NJ.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 17:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
heights wrote:
Quote:

The same can be said for illegal immigration after getting away with it for so long does it make it right or wrong ? And how many people are currently getting away with it ? With your theroy it sounds like a come one come all protocal. We might as well put the Statue of Liberty in front of every school. If one gets discovered and stays then the rest should follow suit. I would like to go through the proper channels to know how to evict an illegal student and be notified of the progress along the way after all it is our tax dollars and votes that make things happen. I'm curious what our elected board members have to say.

Heights, I hope you agree these are very hard questions, no good or right answer I think.

Your thoughts?

Posted on: 2012/2/25 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Heights,

That said, please think very carefully about doing so. If it was a kid in McNair taking away a real opportunity from a student in Jersey City (which was the case a few years ago), I say report away. However, if we're talking about a young kid in primary school, what's your point?

Yes, yes, it's wrong what the parents are doing, but what will your move do to the child? I'm no bleeding heart here and some may validly disagree with me, but is there a reason why the child is attending JC schools? Perhaps their only alternative is worse - and we know many of our surrounding school districts are no cups of tea. Family life and schools can be very complicated. Uprooting a child from their school and social circle can have lifelong implications.

The same can be said for illegal immigration after getting away with it for so long does it make it right or wrong ? And how many people are currently getting away with it ? With your theroy it sounds like a come one come all protocal. We might as well put the Statue of Liberty in front of every school. If one gets discovered and stays then the rest should follow suit. I would like to go through the proper channels to know how to evict an illegal student and be notified of the progress along the way after all it is our tax dollars and votes that make things happen. I'm curious what our elected board members have to say.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 10:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Don't be so cruel... if you don't allow them to attend the J.C. Public schools they will just have to go and rob some Red
rum.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 7:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I've heard that if you are a student in a charter school, if you move away to another town, you can still attend that school.

Also I have to ask...why would anyone want to put their kid in a JC school if they live somewhere else? It's not like the schools here are top notch. Unless we are talking about McNair. From what I remember from the news a while back there were employees of the BOe who had their kids enrolled there who were not residents. They were not paying anything and I think they changed the policy that restitution had tobe paid in instances like this. I could be wrong.

And I have to disagree with jersey mom. If this is a nonresident child in the prek program you should report it. The prek program is free to our residents bc of Abbott funding. This person would be getting free daycare when they don't deserve it. It's just wrong.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Heights,

Usually a call to the Superintendent's office will take care of the situation. I don't know how vigilant JC is on this issue, but the schools in Bayonne actually pay a bounty to the person that turns in the child's family.

That said, please think very carefully about doing so. If it was a kid in McNair taking away a real opportunity from a student in Jersey City (which was the case a few years ago), I say report away. However, if we're talking about a young kid in primary school, what's your point?

Yes, yes, it's wrong what the parents are doing, but what will your move do to the child? I'm no bleeding heart here and some may validly disagree with me, but is there a reason why the child is attending JC schools? Perhaps their only alternative is worse - and we know many of our surrounding school districts are no cups of tea. Family life and schools can be very complicated. Uprooting a child from their school and social circle can have lifelong implications.

It might make you feel better to be on the side of right, but I really ask you to think about that kid for a moment before you pick up the phone.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Heights the program is called the Interdistrict Pubic School Choice Program and JC is not a receiving district under the program.
Hoboken is the only receiving district in the Hudson County and Hoboken only accepts are very limited number of students under the program each year.
The following link should answer all your questions: http://www.nj.gov/education/choice/

Thank you for searching this out this is a big help. I guess my next question is how do you address an out of town student attending a J.C. public illegally, and will the school follow up on the case ?

Posted on: 2012/2/24 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Heights the program is called the Interdistrict Pubic School Choice Program and JC is not a receiving district under the program.

Hoboken is the only receiving district in the Hudson County and Hoboken only accepts are very limited number of students under the program each year.

The following link should answer all your questions: http://www.nj.gov/education/choice/

Posted on: 2012/2/24 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meowmix wrote:
Here's an article that summarizes the law: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010 ... ie_signs_bill_allowi.html

It says the district you want to switch to must be below capacity. I'm not sure if JC is.

This law seems kind of strange, and I'm surprised I never heard of it until now. Property taxes are such a big issue here, and schools are a large part of those taxes, you'd think there would have been more of an uproar.

For those that leave to seek another district the district they are leaving from will only allow 10% to leave. Not sure if that is every year. This is similar to that corporate tax break to come to N.J. except that some companies are leaving one town in the state to go to another. If they did not put a 10% cap in place then you might have a mass exodus and that school district would be at a loss for revenue. Anyway this is the headline to the article.
Gov. Christie signs bill allowing N.J. residents to send children to public schools in other towns

Posted on: 2012/2/24 18:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/12 13:17
Group:
Registered Users
There are lots of other forums in JCList about quality of schools - but short answer, there are lots of choices for public/charter and private schools depending on what age you are looking for.

many are good - though every person will have an opinion.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an article that summarizes the law: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010 ... ie_signs_bill_allowi.html

It says the district you want to switch to must be below capacity. I'm not sure if JC is.

This law seems kind of strange, and I'm surprised I never heard of it until now. Property taxes are such a big issue here, and schools are a large part of those taxes, you'd think there would have been more of an uproar.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Andie wrote:
I would like tack onto this question and ask, are there even any decent public schools in downtown Jersey City? What about private school options? Are there long wait lists?

So we don't lose sight of the topic at hand couldn't you place this question on a seperate posting seeing that this is about public school atttendence and not quality public schools.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 16:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/9 21:57
Group:
Registered Users
I would like tack onto this question and ask, are there even any decent public schools in downtown Jersey City? What about private school options? Are there long wait lists?

Posted on: 2012/2/24 15:45

Attending the J.C. Public Schools
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
If you live out of town but work in Jersey City is there a loophole for your children to attend any of the J.C. public schools ? I heard Governor Christie changed a law allowing children to attend any public school in the state of New Jersey but not sure, how it applies. If you do you live in the city is it that you can attend out of the city district or can it be anywhere in the state of New Jersey. In addition, if you do apply for acceptance does it allow the family to be grandfathered in if the ?student? was attending all along without permission and if so, does the family has to pay back the tuition? What's the rule ?

Posted on: 2012/2/24 14:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017