Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Late-night live music is now allowed in Bars & Restaurants
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I have something of an idea as to exactly who the two women that expressed concern over the nightclubs having live music leading to crime might have been.

Could they have been among the usual cast of characters that I've seen at every council meeting I've been to (which is only a few) that ask questions about practically EVERY ordinance being voted on, dragging things out and turning what should be a three-hour council meeting into a five hour meeting? Not going to mention any names though, because I'm sure these people think they are doing their civic duty for the rest of us. ::eye roll::

I'm all for democracy and the people having their say, but some of the questions that the people at these meetings ask (and it's always been the same people) really add very little to the process and it gets ridiculous as to how things take forever to get done because of it.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 5:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The city can absolutely revoke an entertainment license. Like any license if it is abused then out it goes. This is precisely why residents must stay on top of these establishments and keep them compliant. They abuse at their own peril. BTW, the JCPD non-emergency number is 201-547-5477.

That WOULD be novel if true, an actual response to complaints. Unlike the fact that no amount of bad behavior by customers can get a liquor license pulled.

Much easier to pull an entertainment license.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 3:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
The city can absolutely revoke an entertainment license. Like any license if it is abused then out it goes. This is precisely why residents must stay on top of these establishments and keep them compliant. They abuse at their own peril. BTW, the JCPD non-emergency number is 201-547-5477.

That WOULD be novel if true, an actual response to complaints. Unlike the fact that no amount of bad behavior by customers can get a liquor license pulled.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/1/30 2:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

croft wrote:
somehow, i doubt going to see a country or jazz trio or quartet would result in violence...bring on the noise.

And the umm, genre of music, that tends to attract the violent is more of a recorded than performed art form anyway, and it seems to get the worst violence in the biggest clubs.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
somehow, i doubt going to see a country or jazz trio or quartet would result in violence...bring on the noise.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Sadly, certain types of music does attract many people who are prone to violence. I think the Powerhouse had to stop hosting parties because there were TWO SEPARATE incidents where someone decided to fire a gun.

I hope there is a provision that a bar/restaurant's license for live music can be revoked if there are incidences of violence, ande hopefully, the city will ignore it when the owner says he/she is not responsible for the violence.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
How in the world would an increase in live music lead to an increase in crime? It will probably have the opposite effect. More vibrant streets lead to less crime.
because WHAARRHAWHWAHARHGARHGARBL

Posted on: 2012/1/29 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I love live music. But some places have no idea of what moderation is. A few years ago on one of our rare nights out my wife and I dropped into Hard Grove after hearing a live salsa band inside while walking by. It was INSANELY, VICIOUSLY loud! I mean, that's a small room, you don't need to amp the freakin drums and horns. There was no chance of talking to anyone without actually shouting in their ear. Remember, this isn't in a danceclub, it's in a restaurant! We simply couldn't stay long.

My sister used to hang out with the jazz musician crowd, and I learned one of the things that makes a musician a pro, even if he plays a horn or drums, is being able to play to the room, not always at full volume. I don't think there's a venue in JC besides the Loews that requires amping the drumkit and horns. They're designed to be loud, I guess most of us aren't old enough to remember big bands, but they played large dancehalls with little amping of anything but the vocals and guitar.

That is the problem. Once you bring in amplified instruments as a horn player you feel you need some help. You always try to play to the room of course. But I'll be honest, around the 4th set its just getting through it. I think its a good idea, just the establishments will have to take precautions in soundproofing.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Could very well be a case of "give them an inch and they take a mile". I would hope that places like 9C Cafe, Hamilton Park Inn, White Star and the new PJ Ryan's would definitely not be allowed to have live music as they are way too close to residential properties. I'm sure there are other places that I haven't mentioned that are just too close to people's homes to ever be allowed to have live music. Remember, it's not just about the volume of music but the patrons spilling into the streets at closing time. These things should never be allowed near people's homes.

If one doesn't like loud noises, they don't have to live near bars.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Could very well be a case of "give them an inch and they take a mile". I would hope that places like 9C Cafe, Hamilton Park Inn, White Star and the new PJ Ryan's would definitely not be allowed to have live music as they are way too close to residential properties. I'm sure there are other places that I haven't mentioned that are just too close to people's homes to ever be allowed to have live music. Remember, it's not just about the volume of music but the patrons spilling into the streets at closing time. These things should never be allowed near people's homes.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I love live music. But some places have no idea of what moderation is. A few years ago on one of our rare nights out my wife and I dropped into Hard Grove after hearing a live salsa band inside while walking by. It was INSANELY, VICIOUSLY loud! I mean, that's a small room, you don't need to amp the freakin drums and horns. There was no chance of talking to anyone without actually shouting in their ear. Remember, this isn't in a danceclub, it's in a restaurant! We simply couldn't stay long.

This. The volume at Hard Grove is the one thing that gave me pause about this ordinance.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 21:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
"Live music" doesn't automatically equal "120 decibel heavy metal band". If a restaurant wants to entertain customers trying to eat dinner, a solo guitar, jazz duo/trio, violinist, harpist, etc is what they'll do. The new ordinance doesn't make it mandatory that you have to have a rock band in your establishment until 2am. If the music is too loud, people won't eat there and they'll learn pretty fast. If the music is appropriate and GOOD, I bet they'll suddenly start selling a lot more desserts - there'll be a reason to stay longer!

Mark.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 20:49
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Also, I don't know how many venues can accommodate both a full on band and enough patrons to drive liquor revenue. I guess we'll just have to just see what happens.

Why is a full on band so required anyway? I've seen amazing solo & duo acts. One of the high points of my musical life was seeing Davis Crosby in a Berkeley wooden church in 1980 playing solo, and some with just one friend accompanying (I remember a stunning 2 guitar acoustic jam on Wooden Ships). At one point he turned off the mikes, stuck his hands in his pockets and sang an acapella chantey. It was a mesmerizingly raw experience.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
This could be a mixed blessing. Live music is great. Loud music is surely evidence of a lack of talent. If the caliber or art in downtown JC is any indication of the caliber of live music we'll get here then we can expect a lot of loud music. This will of course be followed by a lot of complaints by constituents.

I don't think the music will increase crime. But Ripple's naivety is glaring. I'm also a strongly built guy, but I have actually observed and once deterred an attempted mugging only a few steps away from me at approximately 7:30 pm on evening a few years back, on Jersey Ave between 5th and 6th. Of course as strongly built as I am, there isn't too much I can do with a gun waving in my face or the threat of a gun in my side or against several people assaulting me. More importantly there are a lot of people in town who aren't so strongly built who at least in theory may be targets to crime. There is crime downtown and through out all of JC, too much crime. We shouldn't ignore that as we enjoy a new outlet.

Also, I don't know how many venues can accommodate both a full on band and enough patrons to drive liquor revenue. I guess we'll just have to just see what happens.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i'm so glad they finally did this. after years of listening to neighbors next door and upstairs from bars worked at complain about the noise just from our in house stereo...enjoy!

Posted on: 2012/1/28 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

My sister used to hang out with the jazz musician crowd, and I learned one of the things that makes a musician a pro, even if he plays a horn or drums, is being able to play to the room, not always at full volume. I don't think there's a venue in JC besides the Loews that requires amping the drumkit and horns. They're designed to be loud, I guess most of us aren't old enough to remember big bands, but they played large dancehalls with little amping of anything but the vocals and guitar.

Until musicians and proprietors learn that more isn't always better, the whole music thing will remain a problem, regardless of the law.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 17:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users

If any local restaurants are looking for musicians, bands or equipment, we know all 3. Been a long time coming.

The noise restrictions definitely need to be enforced, but soundproofing isn't that hard, costs maybe a few thousand dollars, and I don't think the local bars are planning on booking Spinal Tap anytime soon anyway.

Just having a pianist or guitarist playing in the corner will boost business for any restaurant. Don't hire your cousins kid just because he'll do it for free - you get what you pay for. Also give the musician a few months - building a reputation for providing good live music takes some time. It would be great if bars were judged by the quality of their music, not the number of their TVs.

Mark.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 1:44
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

HighFiveCity wrote:
Automata Chino didn't last too long.
Anyone know what killed that place?

I'm guessing the name.

Licensing, alcohol license.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Ripple?Sorry but..you don?t find it bizarre that people are getting mugged and shot at 5:00 pm for cell phones, boots, and money ...and the city council passes an ordinance to allow live entertainment until 2:00 am in the morning to attract tourists???

These five events were reported on in ONE day. I wouldn?t let my closest enemies walk the streets of JC at 2:00 am!!!

I?m all for live entertainment I particularly love live sax music. But JC City Council please sing a different tune and do something about the crime in JC first? it is out of control! Or are you setting us all up for a Titanic like exit.

Or you could move downtown.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HighFiveCity wrote:
Automata Chino didn't last too long.

I'm guessing the name.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
More music leads to more people on the sidewalks leads to safer streets.

In all my 7+ years here, I've never once felt afraid while walking around downtown, at all times of night, but I'm a relatively big guy and I'm pretty aware of my surroundings. Nor has anyone I know ever been mugged downtown, and I'm acquainted with a fairly large number of people. I know it happens, but this is very densely populated city and there will be incidents.

So, I feel like your stated safety concerns are WAAAY overblown, and you either honestly feel this way or you have some sort of ulterior motive.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Ripple?Sorry but..you don?t find it bizarre that people are getting mugged and shot at 5:00 pm for cell phones, boots, and money ...and the city council passes an ordinance to allow live entertainment until 2:00 am in the morning to attract tourists???

These five events were reported on in ONE day. I wouldn?t let my closest enemies walk the streets of JC at 2:00 am!!!

I?m all for live entertainment I particularly love live sax music. But JC City Council please sing a different tune and do something about the crime in JC first? it is out of control! Or are you setting us all up for a Titanic like exit.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/27 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
What is the "neighborhood commercial districts"?

Is it newark ave, grove st, Journal Sq, Central ave, Bergan ave or is it anywhere there is already a restaurant?

Posted on: 2012/1/27 21:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/13 2:42
From The Island
Group:
Registered Users
I love some live jazz and piano, but I wonder if any current places (or even new ones?) are going to embrace or be able to host local or touring bands.
Then again, Automata Chino didn't last too long.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get it - what is your motivation behind posting this?

Do you have a vested interest in preventing more people from visiting Jersey City? Or on the contrary, do you wish more people visited Jersey City, and are blaming the level of crime we have? It's unclear whether you're being cynical or not.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Quote:
The city pushed for the revisions in order to promote small businesses and create a ?vibrant? environment that attracts tourists, said city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill

Welcome (tourists) to Jersey City New Jersey!

Robbers grab Jersey City teen by neck, take $400 in items: police

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rab_jersey_city_teen.html

Jersey City man tries to grab gun from robber before chasing him in car: police report

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_man_tries_to_wrest.html

Four assault, shoot at Jersey City man to steal his boots: cops

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... lt_shoot_at_jersey_c.html

Robbers ask St. Peter's College student for time, then snatch cell phone: cops

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sk_st_peters_college.html

(yes crime happens in DTJC too)

2 Jersey City men charged with early morning robbery, cops said

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... se_pair_who_allegedl.html

All from today .. www.nj.com

Posted on: 2012/1/27 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The city pushed for the revisions in order to promote small businesses and create a ?vibrant? environment that attracts tourists, said city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill

Welcome (tourists) to Jersey City New Jersey!

Robbers grab Jersey City teen by neck, take $400 in items: police

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rab_jersey_city_teen.html

Jersey City man tries to grab gun from robber before chasing him in car: police report

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_man_tries_to_wrest.html

Four assault, shoot at Jersey City man to steal his boots: cops

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... lt_shoot_at_jersey_c.html

Robbers ask St. Peter's College student for time, then snatch cell phone: cops

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... sk_st_peters_college.html

(yes crime happens in DTJC too)

2 Jersey City men charged with early morning robbery, cops said

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... se_pair_who_allegedl.html

All from today .. www.nj.com

Posted on: 2012/1/27 20:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Its about time, Kudos to the council!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/27 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I have heard bands so bad they made me want to destroy stuff.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
I can see the up tick in crime. As a professional musician I've seen many of my colleagues abuse narcotics and alcohol. Harass women. Double park to load and unload gear. Public urination.

But hey we always provide a good time.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 17:53

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017