Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
66 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: baby born on PATH train
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I do not sit in the path/subway even if there is a seat available. Regarding the benefits of standing, here is an article in Bloomberg news:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-04 ... r-may-be-killing-you.html

Posted on: 2012/1/20 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
There's probably a very simple solution if Path and other public transport operators care to implement it. Most buses, trains, etc, reward those who can push in fastest.

ALL seats should be labelled as "Priority for Elderly/ Disabled/ Pregnant". The transport operator issues a pass for those who are pregnant/elderly/disabled. If you don't have the pass and refuse to give up your seat, you get a fine and it pays for the program....

Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Seek out these seats by knowing where they are located on the PATH carriages - People sitting there will know what to do if they see you and fit the 'priority' ... Asking them to move is also acceptable.
All other seating is an option for the person with a seat on whether or not they offer 'priority' person's a seat. It might suck, but we are conditioned that way .... and no it's not a female - male thing either !

You?re only helping to further demonstrate the urban tendency to be blissfully unaware of consensual reality. It seems appropriate to call it ?The Bubble.?

Reality sucks when we even need to have 'priority' seating clearly marked for an empathy free community / society

Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Seek out these seats by knowing where they are located on the PATH carriages - People sitting there will know what to do if they see you and fit the 'priority' ... Asking them to move is also acceptable.
All other seating is an option for the person with a seat on whether or not they offer 'priority' person's a seat. It might suck, but we are conditioned that way .... and no it's not a female - male thing either !

You?re only helping to further demonstrate the urban tendency to be blissfully unaware of consensual reality. It seems appropriate to call it ?The Bubble.?

Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Just to be clear ... your view is that no man should sit as long as any healthy, able women do not have a seat? Or are you referring to pregnant/elderly/disabled women only?

All women...young/old, able/disabled. Call me old fashioned, call me crazy. As a 20-something guy in decent shape, I would feel uncomfortable sitting down while any woman is standing up.

As far as the other point of view bringing in the whole women's liberation stuff....equal rights and opportunities are one thing. This, to me, is something entirely different.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/1/19 21:43
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Was recently on the train from WTC to grove. I saw an obviously pregnant woman (we are talking belly out to HERE) that was left to stand during the ride. Not one person offered her a seat. Saw plenty of 20somethings sitting in their seats playing video games on their cell phones though, as well as business men and women sitting around completely oblivious. I would have offered a seat but I was standing too.

I feel like we have lost a lot of common decency and manners in this City area. People complain that city dwellers are rude and inconsiderate and sometimes we sure do live up to our reputation.

My wife is roughly 8 months pregnant. Luckily she is still very mobile and taking the path and standing is not a problem. However, she tells me that it is very rare for someone to offer their seat and if anyone does, it is always another woman. She doesn't mind and is very comfortable standing the whole way.....but....if there is ever a time when we commute together and not one man gives up his seat....I am going to lose my mind.

People are rude and inconsiderate, that is a fact. But a bigger problem is that most men out there have a hard time acting the part. Maybe they are all eunuchs? I have no idea. Honestly, act like a man and stand up. No man under the age of 70 should have a seat until every single woman no matter what age is already sitting. It's really pathetic.

Just to be clear ... your view is that no man should sit as long as any healthy, able women do not have a seat? Or are you referring to pregnant/elderly/disabled women only?

Posted on: 2012/1/19 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
So it's OK for women to work and earn their equal rights, while the men regress back to caveman mentality and behavior?

I'm sorry, but your argument is weak. Just because everyone else is "doing it" doesn't make it right. It more about how you see yourself and your values, and do as a result of that, rather than take the easier road follow the crowd (even knowing it's wrong).

But this is not even men vs women: it's about able-bodied people giving up their seats for the needed (pregnant women, sick and elderly, young children, etc). I call it respect and common decency.

Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Oh Downright, the men won't get up for your wife and unborn baby? Does this really surprise you in this day and age? Let me say right off the bat that I would, but I'm certainly not surprised. I've seen things like this many times on my commute. Once a woman with crutches had to yell at the young self-absorbed I-pod wearing cell phone eyeballed glued idiot seated in the handicapped seat to move. In 2012 you are shocked and surprised? With a 50% divorce rate? And what about the women's liberation movement? They have been liberated - are they not all happy with the result?

Posted on: 2012/1/19 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Oh Downright, the men won't get up for your wife and unborn baby? Does this really surprise you in this day and age? Let me say right off the bat that I would, but I'm certainly not surprised. I've seen things like this many times on my commute. Once a woman with crutches had to yell at the young self-absorbed I-pod wearing cell phone eyeballed glued idiot seated in the handicapped seat to move. In 2012 you are shocked and surprised? With a 50% divorce rate? And what about the women's liberation movement? They have been liberated - are they not all happy with the result?

Apparently so

Posted on: 2012/1/19 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/19 17:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
My partner commuted daily on the PATH train up to her delivery week. She was almost never given a seat. She would have to ask loudly for one if she couldn't stand the whole ride.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Was recently on the train from WTC to grove. I saw an obviously pregnant woman (we are talking belly out to HERE) that was left to stand during the ride. Not one person offered her a seat. Saw plenty of 20somethings sitting in their seats playing video games on their cell phones though, as well as business men and women sitting around completely oblivious. I would have offered a seat but I was standing too.

I feel like we have lost a lot of common decency and manners in this City area. People complain that city dwellers are rude and inconsiderate and sometimes we sure do live up to our reputation.

My wife is roughly 8 months pregnant. Luckily she is still very mobile and taking the path and standing is not a problem. However, she tells me that it is very rare for someone to offer their seat and if anyone does, it is always another woman. She doesn't mind and is very comfortable standing the whole way.....but....if there is ever a time when we commute together and not one man gives up his seat....I am going to lose my mind.

People are rude and inconsiderate, that is a fact. But a bigger problem is that most men out there have a hard time acting the part. Maybe they are all eunuchs? I have no idea. Honestly, act like a man and stand up. No man under the age of 70 should have a seat until every single woman no matter what age is already sitting. It's really pathetic.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/19 10:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcdd wrote:

I would have given up my seat I still do as a matter of fact. But sometimes I rather stand especially on a crowded train. If there is someone big standing and they fall and land on a sitting passenger that person sitting could end up with a broken bone or knee injury depending on where the impact is. Just hold on tight the new PATH cars tend to move about and jerk side to side frequently, another reason to stand 'cause some passengers don't hold on either tight enough or at all.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 9:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/1/19 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I can understand why the couple decided to take the PATH train.

I took the PATH train, and then the #5 train, all the way up to NYU Hospital (where my doctor was) when my second child was born. It's all about what makes sense - my labor started on a rainy friday at 8am, by the time I was ready to go (ie all the symptons of labor), it was 9am. I called a car service to take us to the city, but given it's (a) friday rush hour, (b) rainy day, the dispatcher told me they won't even be able to send a car to pick us up for at least 30 min!!! So we decided to go public transportation all the way, and made it here fine.

Btw, that trip was also the only time during my entire second pregnancy that someone gave me their seat on the PATH train.

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
And knowing the PATH, they probably didn't bother cleaning up the car afterwards - the placenta was probably rolling around the floor of the car all day...

I am sure it was cleaned up. However, what I cannot believe beyond the no coffee rule from the above poster is the fact that this foreign pregnant woman took a chance in her stage of pregnancy to ride the PATH when the train's schedule changes on a moment's notice, as well as the birth of her child...what was she thinking that her cell phone would save the day??

Posted on: 2012/1/18 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
looks like it was a happy ending for mom, dad, and the new born

+1

Heights - what difference does her nationality make? Guess you're falling back on that New Year's resolution. Babies come when they want to - there is no schedule. The baby and Mother are safe and healthy and that's all counts in the end.

I never mentioned nationality the news media did I was just quoting what I've read and just concerned about the mother to be riding the PATH in her condition.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
I was in the car adjacent to the one where the baby was born-- There was a frantic young man running thru our car asking for a doctor nurse ems...soon after we heard the announcement that we were going straight to 33rd street. And believe it or not...a young woman across from me was cursing the fact that we were skipping Christopher Street. I politely told her...you know someone is sick...show a little compassion. She rolled her eyes and kept cursing under her breath. I am so happy it all turned out well! It certainly was an exciting ride into the city for a Monday!!

Posted on: 2012/1/17 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Heights - what difference does her nationality make? Guess you're falling back on that New Year's resolution.

Awwwww, cut the guy some slack. The doc needs to adjust his meds again.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 20:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
the indians eat the placenta

Posted on: 2012/1/17 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
looks like it was a happy ending for mom, dad, and the new born

+1

Heights - what difference does her nationality make? Guess you're falling back on that New Year's resolution. Babies come when they want to - there is no schedule. The baby and Mother are safe and healthy and that's all counts in the end.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
To be fair, per the news story she wasn't due, was having issues with what turned out to be contractions. She and her husband were on there way to the doctor to have her checked out when she went into full labor.

It happens sometimes... looks like it was a happy ending for mom, dad, and the new born.

Posted on: 2012/1/17 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
And knowing the PATH, they probably didn't bother cleaning up the car afterwards - the placenta was probably rolling around the floor of the car all day...

I am sure it was cleaned up. However, what I cannot believe beyond the no coffee rule from the above poster is the fact that this foreign pregnant woman took a chance in her stage of pregnancy to ride the PATH when the train's schedule changes on a moment's notice, as well as the birth of her child...what was she thinking that her cell phone would save the day??

Posted on: 2012/1/17 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/17 19:05

baby born on PATH train
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
and still, I can't bring my cup of coffee on.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?sec ... local/new_york&id=8507373

Posted on: 2012/1/17 18:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017