Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
137 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What is it with the Restaurants in Newport?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
If you really want better options, stop frequenting these sub-par restaurants and focus your attention on the restaurants that consistently produce good meals (by the way, does anyone know of any?

Try Prestos, Just Sonny's, Casa Dante, Renato's, and Rita & Joe's I posted these already as an example.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
We dig our own metaphorical graves when it comes to dining in Jersey City. If you really want better options, stop frequenting these sub-par restaurants and focus your attention on the restaurants that consistently produce good meals (by the way, does anyone know of any? ). I'm hoping Thirty Acres is a catalyst to better dining in this area. We really need a restaurant to set a new standard.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
This thread is describing going to a mall food court and getting upset about the quality of the food.

"I'm so moderately upset that Olive Garden is mediocre!"

I don't really think that he was talking about the food court at the mall, which is basically fast food. He obviously was talking about the sit down places like Azucar and Raaz.

Just because it's "Newport" doesn't mean we should expect the food to be mall food. And actually, I like the food court at the mall. The indian place is pretty good and I kind of miss that Mongolian BBQ place.

We actually were at Bertucci's last night. There are a few chain restaurants that are OK imo like Bertucci's, Macaroni Grill, PF Chang, Outback Steakhouse. I wouldn't call any of those places "authentic" but the food can be pretty tasty for what it is and sometimes you just want to go to a place that gives you crayons and has a consistent menu that you know your whole family can find something they'll like to eat.

Anyway, the service at Bertucci's was slooooow and I was drinking a glass of iced tea when halfway through my glass I smelled something awful. At first I thought "Maybe someone farted" and after a few more sips of my drink, I realized the only time I smelled something was when I was drinking. The glass smelled like farts!!! I was given a new glass but I had a fleeting moment where I thought I was going to die of e. coli.

I wasn't talking about the mall food court either. I was metaphorically comparing the restaurants in Newport as the same banal dining experience one would find at a mall food court.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/10 16:39
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

whiteboy19 wrote:
I dont think this has anything to do with downtown but the applebees on 440 has fake plants with dust on them,go look at the dust plants,that should tell you a lot about chain restaurants,its the little things that count plus the waiter there was wasted on coke,I know when someone is on coke,its easy to tell.It makes me irritable when someone around me is on coke.yup corporate america brings you dusty plants and coked up waiters ,Im not even going into the weak watered down drinks...also can you water down beer? I think they did

Walter?

Posted on: 2012/1/15 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
That's exactly why I ask for a glass washed in the dishwasher v. a glass rinsed by the bartender and pronounced clean when I decide to burn some ducats @ J.C. watering holes...

What's actually amazing to me is that I don't hear about more cases of food poisoning

Then again, how many times have you known people that said they had the stomach flu, a few hours after they went out to some for some food & booze recreation

Posted on: 2012/1/15 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
This thread is describing going to a mall food court and getting upset about the quality of the food.

I don't really think that he was talking about the food court at the mall, which is basically fast food. He obviously was talking about the sit down places like Azucar and Raaz.

Just because it's "Newport" doesn't mean we should expect the food to be mall food. And actually, I like the food court at the mall. The indian place is pretty good and I kind of miss that Mongolian BBQ place.

We actually were at Bertucci's last night. There are a few chain restaurants that are OK imo like Bertucci's, Macaroni Grill, PF Chang, Outback Steakhouse. I wouldn't call any of those places "authentic" but the food can be pretty tasty for what it is and sometimes you just want to go to a place that gives you crayons and has a consistent menu that you know your whole family can find something they'll like to eat.

Anyway, the service at Bertucci's was slooooow and I was drinking a glass of iced tea when halfway through my glass I smelled something awful. At first I thought "Maybe someone farted" and after a few more sips of my drink, I realized the only time I smelled something was when I was drinking. The glass smelled like farts!!! I was given a new glass but I had a fleeting moment where I thought I was going to die of e. coli.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 16:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
I dont think this has anything to do with downtown but the applebees on 440 has fake plants with dust on them,go look at the dust plants,that should tell you a lot about chain restaurants,its the little things that count plus the waiter there was wasted on coke,I know when someone is on coke,its easy to tell.It makes me irritable when someone around me is on coke.yup corporate america brings you dusty plants and coked up waiters ,Im not even going into the weak watered down drinks...also can you water down beer? I think they did

Posted on: 2012/1/15 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, Newport's mall food court is what it is, and if that works for you, great.

Even a pub like Dorian's is what it is, and the pub food/service there is actually better than most, and the facility is second-to-none in the bar & grill business...

I am talking about going to restaurant in a "decent" area, that given the "right" personnel, could be a fantastic experience for the customer, except in this case you have ethnic "bistros" where either the customer is looked upon as an easy mark (to run up a ridiculous bar tab); or a potential sugar daddy/angel investor (dude, that bar tender is flirting you up); or a cheap schmuck (Not dressed to impress, or perhaps you're not one of the beautiful people, good luck).

And that's not even mentioning the BFF cronyism/nepotism that runs rampant at these places, or staff walking around like zombies watching the "game" and hoping they win the pool...

And for the love of god, don't look in the kitchen, you may not be able to hold down that yummy rice dish you just ingested

After several years watching the freak show, I guess I'm just realizing how pathetically inept the owners/management are to let this sad joke continue, but hey even a place with that had South City Grill's potential couldn't overcome their subpar staff and management problems.

Perhaps Newport's restaurants really are just an upgraded/over-rated Food Court, with plates instead of styrofoam containers, dirty glasses instead of cups, servers instead of counter staff and bars that cater overpriced hooch to losers that don't know any better

Posted on: 2012/1/15 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/15 9:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
You have to stick with the tried and true family owned places. These new Waterfront chain restaurants are out of touch on how to run a business. I ate at a couple of them and the value wasn't there. Thee wait staff doesn't get it either. Try Prestos, Just Sonny's, Casa Dante, Renato's, and Rita & Joe's just to name more than a few. They give you your money's worth, good service and the timing is just right. It seems that patrons forgot how to complain, they just accept what ever is thrown in front of them. It has been proven on this forum from some of the postings I've read. There are plenty of terrific places don't waste time again at an establishment that is not up to par.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Get used to it. I was shocked too when i first moved to JC but you get used to it. I think many restos in the suburbs charge Manhattan prices now or above - I was in one small town and was shocked that they wanted $42 for a steak entree and NO - it didn't come with foie gras.

Posted on: 2012/1/15 1:51

What is it with the Restaurants in Newport?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Donny City
Group:
Registered Users
Charging Manhattan prices? for Suburban quality fare, and bar tenders with attitudes like they're doing you a favor when they ask for your order

The only "decent" restaurant is Bertucci's, which is a chain, but par for Newport the service is just short of insulting!

/Rant Off

Posted on: 2012/1/15 1:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017