Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: New Development proposed for the Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Glad to hear someone else thinks the R1 is ruining JC.

Unfortunately, R-1 zoning changes were driven by a mentality that 'Density causes slums'. Which of course explains why the Upper East Side of Manhattan is such a cesspool while Detroit is a paradise. /sarc

So the idea is to make Jersey City R-1 areas more like a suburb.

Years ago, I bought a lot at tax auction and planned to build on it. Found out it was really hard to make a profitable rental with just two unit. I really needed at least three to be able to offer rents at the level I know would allow me to keep the place occupied.

To make matter worse, the setbacks and height limits really made it difficult to layout the rooms. In the end, I ended up with a floor plan that was pretty much like the craptastic homes built in the R-1 zones.

To build something nice that would be economically viable (rental) I would have had to been allowed to build 4-story town homes. Wasn't worth the fight to get zoning allowances, so I sold the lot to someone who built a craptastic home on it. It was finished at the beginning of the housing bubble, so the builder had no problem selling it.

All too true, it's sad how the viability of being a rental landlord has been so damaged. It's a retirement, but not a living. And if you tried to change the R1, you'd get a horde of people against it because higher density means harder street parking. This was a major reason people were against the redevelopment of the 6th St embankment, before the "preservationist" motif was substituted.

I wonder how hard it really is to get the variance with a good lawyer. I got noticed on lot nearby seeking variances and wanted to attend the hearing to see what it's like, but the poor guy had his hearing adjourned 3 times because the boardmembers couldn't be bothered to show up and make a quorum.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Glad to hear someone else thinks the R1 is ruining JC.

Unfortunately, R-1 zoning changes were driven by a mentality that 'Density causes slums'. Which of course explains why the Upper East Side of Manhattan is such a cesspool while Detroit is a paradise. /sarc

So the idea is to make Jersey City R-1 areas more like a suburb.

Years ago, I bought a lot at tax auction and planned to build on it. Found out it was really hard to make a profitable rental with just two unit. I really needed at least three to be able to offer rents at the level I know would allow me to keep the place occupied.

To make matter worse, the setbacks and height limits really made it difficult to layout the rooms. In the end, I ended up with a floor plan that was pretty much like the craptastic homes built in the R-1 zones.

To build something nice that would be economically viable (rental) I would have had to been allowed to build 4-story town homes. Wasn't worth the fight to get zoning allowances, so I sold the lot to someone who built a craptastic home on it. It was finished at the beginning of the housing bubble, so the builder had no problem selling it.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Is this building 66 Laidlaw in the Heights?

----------------------------------------------
2 ghosts in the building one on the 4th floor and one on the third floor. Renovations should make them very active.

Where you part of the candle making operation? That what I remember what was going on there when I bought the old boxing gym building down the street back in late 2001.

I love a good ghost story.. what's the deal with the two that you mentioned?

I designed all the packaging and catalogues for the candle company, my assistant had the "gift" of being able to see and communicate with spirits. She said the ghost on the 4th floor where my office and photo studio and her office was harmless but playful. It would move things around in the studio, the owners cat would hang out with us and when it would start to whine we knew the ghost was with us.The third floor was storage she would never go into that floor alone but would not say why.
Both ghosts were former workers of the laundry company that occupied the building many years ago.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
It sure beats the crappy looking 2 family homes that are being built around the neighborhood. I hate those things.. but with JC's current zoning reg's in R1, that is what you end up with.

Glad to hear someone else thinks the R1 is ruining JC. It breaks my heart to drive past the nice new infills in Hoboken and then return to JC full of those crappy pink peak roofed turds.

Any, umm, "speculation" on what the redevelopment of Christ Hospital site would do for the southeast Heights should the sale fail? Is the cliffs edge parking lot between Laidlaw and Reservoir buildable?

Posted on: 2012/1/12 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeZ wrote:
Market rate units with their own parking would be great for the neighborhood. They'd have stellar views, too.

Three blocks South of the old laundry building is a brand new apartment building with parking. The construction looks decen and it looks similar to what you would find in Hoboken (each unit has a PTAC for heating / cooling).

It sure beats the crappy looking 2 family homes that are being built around the neighborhood. I hate those things.. but with JC's current zoning reg's in R1, that is what you end up with.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Is this building 66 Laidlaw in the Heights?

----------------------------------------------
2 ghosts in the building one on the 4th floor and one on the third floor. Renovations should make them very active.

Where you part of the candle making operation? That what I remember what was going on there when I bought the old boxing gym building down the street back in late 2001.

I love a good ghost story.. what's the deal with the two that you mentioned?

Posted on: 2012/1/12 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Is this building 66 Laidlaw in the Heights? I worked in that building about 10 years ago when the company I worked for at the time bought it and moved their manufacturing operations from Brooklyn. I was the Creative Director for the company and I had a wonderful office on the 4th floor with a photo studio. The building is haunted there are 2 ghosts in the building one on the 4th floor and one on the third floor. Renovations should make them very active.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 20:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Market rate units with their own parking would be great for the neighborhood. They'd have stellar views, too.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 19:06

New Development proposed for the Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A project similar to this was proposed years ago, but never went through:

I received notice of a public hearing on Jan 19th regarding zoning for development of the old factory building (former commercial laundry) on Oakland Ave (cross street Laidlaw). The proposal is to add three floor to the building. The property will have 95 residential units and 103 parking spaces. The increase in height has already been approved. The developer is requesting an amendment to remove the existing chimneys (which are leaning a bit more to one side every year).

This area (I live there) is a former medium industrial / commercial zone. Its not serviceable via rail or heavy trucking, so industrial / commercial is no longer a valid use.

IMO, this would be a positive project for the area, assuming the units will be market rate apartments or condos.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 16:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017