Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Downtown: 6pm at Dixon Mills Condos -- Teens threaten then push 68 year old woman
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, and for the record - I live in a 600sq. ft. 1 bedroom. So Mooseskid is definitely confused and is throwing false accusations here. Not cool.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 19:00

Re: Downtown: 6pm at Dixon Mills Condos -- Teens threaten then push 68 year old woman
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Again, I contacted management immediately with my complaint on not getting notice on this matter. I was told they were "working on something". Ok, that's nice but the lack of urgency was troubling. They finally sent out a statement late yesterday, which is fine, too. But they should have sent out a quick "heads up/be careful" note immediately on Monday morning. Its the right thing to do. At this juncture, the original point I was making has been beat to death and doesn't really matter at this point but since the thread has gone elsewhere and I've been falsely accused of several things, I'll address those.

Quote:
I told you she wouldn't be able to resist ... and she says nothing of her illegal renting to someone at market rate?? Shame, shame ...

Who are you and what are you talking about?!? I honestly think you have me confused with someone else here. And I have no outlet for these supposed ravings you mention as the internal message board is all censored anyhow, and your little owners google group is locked out to tenants. I don't post that much on JC List, and I have have lived and still live in the same apartment I have been in here since 1999 (was in another unit prior to that). I am under scrutiny (especially with the visibility I have of living in the same building as the office, parking in the main lot where security resides, etc.), as are all the protected tenants, and would never be able to rent my place out or even add a roommate as they would totally find out and revoke my protection (plus, the issues of getting that subletter a key fob, door buzzer access, moving furniture in/out, etc.). I know the office personnel very well, also, and run into them frequently. I'm not interested in risking that, and am grateful for the deal I have and like my individual apartment. Frankly, I hope this place sells like gangbusters so that they ultimately offer me a buyout (wishful thinking, I know).

Oh, and have you reported this person who is illegally subletting? Perhaps you should instead of throwing accusations at semi-anonymous posters on a discussion board. If what this person is doing is indeed true, it makes the rest of us who follow the rules look bad, as well as hurting the condo association's chance to sell that unit.

I've said it here and will again. I am not bashing DM as a place to live, GlitterQueen. Nor am I making anything up. I've even praised security here in this thread. My issue is with the poor/delay of communication of an important safety notice, and then secondarily with how some (not all) of the owners barge in to this complex with total disregard for those who have lived here for years and done their part to build a community, include new neighbors and do their part to keep the place as nice as possible. This second issue only came out of the comments made by others, not the initial incident.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

523jcmom wrote:
Actually, a community has nothing to do with what type of house, condo, apartment building you live in. A community is all about people!
com?mu?ni?ty
1. a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.
2. a locality inhabited by such a group.
3. a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually preceded by the ): the business community; the community of scholars.
I am happy to be a part of the community at Dixon Mills and a part of the even larger downtown jc community!

If you want to call tenement living/housing a community; in my day they used to call it the projects, the ghetto, and the other side of town. And community may be defined differently then it used to/supposed to be. I guess every 10 years they call it something else.
Since the advent of the Internet, the concept of community has less geographical limitation, as people can now gather virtually in an online community and share common interests regardless of physical location. Prior to the internet, virtual communities (like social or academic organizations) were far more limited by the constraints of available communication and transportation technologies.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 17:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/14 12:05
Group:
Registered Users
I told you she wouldn't be able to resist ... and she says nothing of her illegal renting to someone at market rate?? Shame, shame ...

Posted on: 2012/1/13 17:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/15 8:13
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, a community has nothing to do with what type of house, condo, apartment building you live in. A community is all about people!

com?mu?ni?ty

1. a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.
2. a locality inhabited by such a group.
3. a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually preceded by the ): the business community; the community of scholars.

I am happy to be a part of the community at Dixon Mills and a part of the even larger downtown jc community!

Posted on: 2012/1/13 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mooseskid wrote:
I was the 7th person to close my home at Dixon Mills. I bought my home at the top of the market and I have NO REGRETS ... has my home devalued? Yes- of course - but there is not ONE day I have not been so happy to have moved to DM. It's a great community of people. But - again - I will tell you - I love love love my apartment and my community ... well almost all my community. I'm sure SHE is going to have a field day with my response - because I just outed her ...

You did not buy a home nor a house but a sectioned off area in a building which is called an apartment. Community is an outdoor neighborhood comprised of houses or homes. And homes are in suburbs. I'd rather rent a condo/apartment and buy a house/home or town house.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 16:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/27 14:39
Group:
Registered Users
We have been living in Dixon Mills for 2+ years now and love it!!! It is an older structure so some things go awry from time to time but issues always get resolved quickly and we are certainly staying for the long haul. We love the charm, architecture, sense of community and we have made so many friends here. I would recommend anybody coming to Dixon Mills As we sell more units and owners take more control I think it will be even more desirable. We do live in a urban environment so anyone would need to be cautious and it is certainly no reflection on Dixon Mills.

The renter who is always so negative and nasty should just be ignored. She is a raving lunatic with the wildest of stories and I wouldn't give her any credence. We have witnessed her outbursts and its all nonsense.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
this is not an us vs them. i am talking about the long term tenants that will not move but complain about how the place sucks(if it sucks move! this makes no sense to me). there are renters that were not through the developer who are totally normal and nice and care about the place! I personally care about were i leave if i am renting it or if i own it.

i am also exceptionally tired of people in downtown jersey city freaking out about any crime at all. this is if you live here or rent... it is a city!

Dixon Mills is a really good value for the money. If you have 500 grand to spend buy a condo in a rowhouse. I would love to own a rowhouse with a backyard but those are extremely expensive in JC. A one bedroom downtown is hard to find under 300 thousand, that isn't tiny, doesn't have freakishly high taxes, insane maintenance or isn't almost a mile from the path. Most people who own a one bedroom are smart enough to know that right now is not a good time to sell. they can make more money by renting and then selling it later on when housing comes back up(praying that this does not happen before the reassessment).

my "attitude" is towards people who just make things up and can not understand they live in a city. a mugging is not a big deal.. i am not really concerned with what DM was like 5 years ago. i know what it is like now. I read all the bad crap before i moved there and honestly not a single thing has held true for my apartment or my experience.

For less than $300,000 I got a huge apartment, a gym, someone to deal with the day to day crap of an apartment building, a parking space, a courtyard, and a place that is trying to a community. it's great. it seems JClist has an abnormal amount of hate for Dixon Mills. We should encourage redevelopment of existing properties instead of just building mindless boring high rise towers all over the place.

To be honest, I didn't even want to move to DM. I wanted a cute 2 bedroom up in Hamilton park. guess what i am super glad i did not buy it. the taxes were almost 10 grand and there is no parking space, it's further from the train, it's on the top floor with no elevator, the maintenance was only a 100 bucks less than dm, and there is a church that rings it's bells way too early on weekends. DM is a much better deal!

did the developers cut some corners, yes they did and guess what they did it at trump plaza and crystal point, and grove pointe and 50 columbus and on and on and on bc that is what developers do! There is nothing that will change that. they want to get back the most they can on their investment.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 15:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/14 12:05
Group:
Registered Users
I was the 7th person to close my home at Dixon Mills. I bought my home at the top of the market and I have NO REGRETS ... has my home devalued? Yes- of course - but there is not ONE day I have not been so happy to have moved to DM. It's a great community of people. Most everyone is incredibly friendly and we all try to look out for one another. But - this is an urban environment and it's NOT Paulus Hook. There have been tremendous improvements in the 4 1/2 years I have been here. Downtown is changing rapidly and it continues to do so ...
As for the nastiness of the thread of the few people ... there are still renters here who are allowed to continue their leases because the law protects there low income and being housed here ... they have some questionable practices (like renting out their two bedroom 1800 sf apt) at market rated while they enjoy the benefits of low cost of living - effectively having little to no rent. It benefits them to post these nasty strings on something like JC list because they continue to be pissed about the condo conversion and their little deals and it threatens their apartment ... so - they post these things so potential buyers can get scared away. And - they've been successful to some degree. But - again - I will tell you - I love love love my apartment and my community ... well almost all my community. I'm sure SHE is going to have a field day with my response - because I just outed her ...

Posted on: 2012/1/13 15:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am not rich and never will be. If I was I would buy a beautiful brownstone with a backyard instead of a condo. I am also not down grading anyone because they rent. I did so for so many years. Several times a few years back there were issues with neighbors not taking care of common spaces and it ended up being people who rented, so therefor I am a bit biased. I just do not understand why those who rent or more importantly "used to rent" continue to make negative or untrue comments about a community that I, personally love. If you were unhappy with management call them, ask them if something happened, and tell them you would appreciate more immediate notification in the future. I know management is not perfect, I do not think any of them are for any building. However, I have called, complained to them, and they addressed it in a timely manner. I lived here for over three years and never once saw a rat. Security is not high.

I invested in a place where my family could grow in a diverse neighborhood. I was also drawn to the historic rehab of the buildings and the area, and think the downtown area has a lot going on!! I am just tired of people posting negatively about our community because honestly it is a great place to live!

Posted on: 2012/1/13 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Not for nothing but back in the day that was a pencil factory and the neighborhood wasn't too good. At the time hardly anybody owned anything unless they didn't live around here so you didn't have owners talking down on renters because everyone was poor there was no class divisions, all the new rich people brought that in because they don't care about community, they care about their money. When I was a kid you would have gotten socked in the mouth if you told my pop he was less than you because we rented our place. Remember that.

Thanks for this. I don't understand the snobbery of some people who buy homes towards those who don't/can't.

Oh, and if I am so "disgruntled", why would I waste any time giving a crap about the safety of ALL of my neighbors and the property's image? Instead, wouldn't I just tell my other "disgruntled renter" friends via secret google email group, and leave it at that? Or I'd publish it in a secret renters-only newsletter...

Posted on: 2012/1/12 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Imfromhere wrote:
Not for nothing but back in the day that was a pencil factory and the neighborhood wasn't too good. At the time hardly anybody owned anything unless they didn't live around here so you didn't have owners talking down on renters because everyone was poor there was no class divisions, all the new rich people brought that in because they don't care about community, they care about their money. When I was a kid you would have gotten socked in the mouth if you told my pop he was less than you because we rented our place. Remember that.

You're my favorite new poster, whatever that counts for.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 20:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/3 14:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/12 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
GlitterQueen - you missed my point and your tone is kind of offensive.

I'm not criticizing security. I will even go on record here to say that I think the new security company, and the most recent one prior of the last few years, seems to be on top of matters as much as possible. And YES, this does affect the community as it happened on the property and the victim was a visitor to the complex as they were coming to see a resident. How can you not see that? Most residents don't read this board or the local papers and yet they have a right to know about matters affecting their safety on and around the property. Plus, really...how hard is it for management to send a notice out stat on this, when they send out tons of emails a week about the most minor matters?? Again, not saying the incident could have been prevented and not blaming anyone for it (well, except the attackers).

Its also a liability issue, which all owners should be concerned about. Like this scenario: Say DM management continues to not address the issue with the community, and another incident happens and the new victim really gets hurt (god forbid). This victim is a resident or a guest of one in this scenario. The victim gets hurt (or worse), and later comes to find out that DM management knew about recent incidents of violence on the property yet did not alert those living there to be more vigilant. What is to stop the victim from filing a suit again DM for negligence here? I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that would be a possible case.

I stay here for now because I have a muuuch better financial deal due to my longevity here, based on my personal situation and income level. The place is fine as a rental complex, and fine for the buyers who do their research like you said. I know the history of the structural issues here which is why I wouldn't personally invest, but that's my decision. Doesn't make me bad or "disgruntled". Some new owners did not do this research though and always whine and complain that they place isn't fancy enough for them, doesn't have a pool, etc. Those people are few, but they complain way more than renters. I've seen the owner google group posts - a few folks there get pretty ridiculous at times.

See, you have totally bought into the "us vs. them" scenario the developer wants you to buy into regarding your view of the remaining renters. I praise a lot of things at this place. I stay for personal reasons which no one can judge. And look at it this way - how would you like it if you lived in a place for a long time, which had a very nice community spirit going that you were a part of, and a group of developers and new residents came in and totally disregarded you despite your efforts to welcome them and include them, shut you out of the new sense of "community" they market and boast about, and created/fostered an adversarial vibe? You'd be annoyed at the least, pissed at most. The management/condo board does nothing to incorporate remaining rental residents who are protected and will be a part of this place for a long time into areas where the sense of community is involved (areas that don't affect the decisions of ownership or finances, like the "DM Neighbors" newsletter, which is a name they stole from the tenants group we had formed wherein we converted it to an all resident group with this name and flyers to all new residents to join us). And that is a really poor PR move, on a business level, because we know a lot about this place as an investment opportunity and about how the community is functioning, the pros and cons. And we aren't afraid to share that with prospective buyers.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

523jcmom wrote:
Recently a friend of mine was outside of grove point towers and someone tried to take her Iphone. There were enough people around that potential robber got nothing! Thank god. I doubt their management company informed the residents.

Was this reported? If it actually happened...

Posted on: 2012/1/12 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

523jcmom wrote:
Maybe the old security company but the new one I think does a very good job. Never seen them high or sleeping. Pretty sure they have to make rounds now quite often. I am a woman with a child and never feel unsafe!

Recently a friend of mine was outside of grove point towers and someone tried to take her Iphone. There were enough people around that potential robber got nothing! Thank god. I doubt their management company informed the residents.

I really love these renters who always complain, yet they are here for 4 years, 16 years....must really not like the place!

I really love the shills.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
well I stopped complaining and moved, it was just a rat infested dump. good luck!

Posted on: 2012/1/12 17:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe the old security company but the new one I think does a very good job. Never seen them high or sleeping. Pretty sure they have to make rounds now quite often. I am a woman with a child and never feel unsafe!

I really love these renters who always complain, yet they are here for 4 years, 16 years....must really not like the place!

Posted on: 2012/1/12 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
...the guards are always asleep, drinking, or getting high... they don't give a sh*t...

...I was locked out of my apt ...it took 6 hours before I could get someone to let me in ...

Maybe it is good that they don't have your keys real handy.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I lived there for 4 years as a renter and the guards are always asleep, drinking, or getting high... u wonder why this happened because you have guards making 8 bucks a hour and they don't give a sh*t... I was locked out of my apt once, and the guard in the little house barley spoke English, it took 6 hours before I could get someone to let me in my apt, shameful.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like some people on this thread are worried about the return on their investment and want to downplay this incident. Don't bite my head off, I'd be worried too if I wasn't just a "disgruntled" renter.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oneskirt... I honestly do not see the need in sending an e-mail about something that is not preventable and not affecting anyone in the community.

see instead of investing your money in the community, that is so terrible that you have lived there for 16 years, you have just given them your money and will see no return. that seems much wiser.

The renters are a good of disgruntled individuals who have done nothing but slander Dixon Mills. i am not really interested in their outrage.

Again, must be such a terrible place with all the long term renters who either buy a place or fight to stay. I have had no issues since moving there since last winter. It's a great place to live if you are aware you are buying an existing building that was converted and not a perfect imaginary piece of masonry that is impervious to problems.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Again, I'm not freaking out because crime happened. I am not upset at security. I'm not sure it could have been prevented as it sounds like the attackers snuck up from behind the woman who was a visitor to the complex ringing the door buzzer. I am pissed off at management for not communicating this safety issue to residents. Its negligent. I want people to know that management is messing up here.

And no, I'm not a paranoid owner. Living here 16 years, I knew better than to invest my money in this complex.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I live at Dixon Mills and I am not concerned. It's a city.
There is going to be crime. Relax we will all be okay.

You guys sound like the paranoid people on the google groups of DM. The fact that everyone is freaking out about this shows you how safe JC and Dixon Mills has become.

I'm not saying i want any crime to occur but i understand it will. It will occur in small towns, It will occur in large and small cities. How was security supposed to prevent this? They are not stationed at every door and even if they saw it happen on the camera all they can do is call the cops which we don't even know if they did.

Honestly I don't even understand why we have so much security. I think they do a fine job. I have had them question me before when i was hanging out in front of my building to make sure i wasn't loitering.

If you live at DM and are an owner join the google groups. I knew this happened like 10 minutes after it occurred.

jcboyz.. that is really unnecessary

Posted on: 2012/1/11 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
Description?? Ferris animals??

Posted on: 2012/1/11 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Could this have been prevented ?
I know other condo complexes that do not allow this to occur, including both the security personel and the residents. Everybody questions strangers by calling security.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Roslyn wrote:
First and Foremost it is rediculous to compare Dixon mills with any other development in the city.
There are four individual buildings, not just one.

In addition if you read the posting it says that the whole thing was caught on DIXON MILLS cameras.

Dixon mills is VERY safe. I have been living there for three years and there have been 0 incidents until this one.

Don't fool yourself. I was let in through a gate and then let into the building by two very nice people the other day when visiting a friend. I didn't know any of the people that were so very helpful in letting me into the complex.

My friend was shocked when I knocked on the apartment door.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 5:30
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Let us not pretend that the Dixon Mills complex isn't at the start of the ass-end of town

Posted on: 2012/1/11 2:03
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Let me clarify a few things. First off, I've lived here for over 16 yrs., in Dixon Mills the whole time. I was not "shocked" this happened, and I've seen/been through worse times around these blocks. And I know all about the history of lax security, despite cameras, etc. I never said the crime was Dixon Mill's fault, nor did I criticize the security measures already in place.

Read what I wrote again. I was/am upset that management is doing nothing to inform residents about an attack on the premises in order to help us be more informed, vigilant and prepared. Management wastes our time with needless email "spam" all the time, often multiple times per day. However, they still have yet to put out a statement/announcement about this issue and safety around the complex to raise awareness. Even in the forms of a "heads up". What pisses me off is their disregard to communicate important safety matters, but its fine to send out multiple emails on broken elevators, dog poop, etc.

I called management on this today. The reply was along the lines of "we understand your concern and will be putting something out". WHEN?!?! This attack happened at 6pm Saturday. It is now over 72 hrs. later. At the very least, this communication should have been issued before noon on Monday. Many residents here don't see nj.com, this board, or the local paper (sad but true given that many condos in JC have very NYC centric/focused folks - and by no means is that a criticism, just the way it is). The point is that DM has this "communication system" in place, but fails to use it for the important things in so many cases, like this one.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Teens at 6pm threaten, push woman, 68

A 68-year-old Bergenfield woman was attacked by two teenagers who threatened to hit her after pushing her into the entrance of ...Dixon Mills...

I wonder if these teens were coming from an after school program at Ferris?

Posted on: 2012/1/10 23:01

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017