Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cops don't have to abide by laws that they enforce?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, it's called LEO exemptions.

Laws are far the little people......

Posted on: 2011/12/23 8:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Well there is definitely room for improvement on both sides of the aisle. My dealings with the JCPD have been nothing short of exasperating at times. I remember coming home late one night from the city about 20 years ago. I was fairly drunk and as I walked past the precinct house on 7th Street there were 3-4 cops having a very loud conversation on the street. It was well past midnight so as I walked by I shooshed them. I think they were so surprised and also realized that I was in the right so they simply stared at me silently. Needless to say they shooshed up.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 7:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
As I was moving my car the other night from 2nd and Jersey, I saw some flashing lights on Coles and 2nd. Those lights got closer and closer and I realized it was a JCPD SUV going east on 2nd. Now there were cars already going west and because it was an SUV taking up the entire road, the cars had to back up all the way to Jersey Ave to let the SUV through. The entire time, the SUV had its lights on and no siren.

I really don't care if they were going to a call, this is unacceptable. Having lights and a siren does not give you the right to break the law. The JCPD officer put more lives at risk forcing cars to drive in reverse and then onto Jersey Ave, then turning onto Jersey Ave from a direction not expected by most drivers.

It would have been just as quick to go to the light on Newark, make the turn, and then turn onto first.

This is the type of thing that would get me fired in my line of work, but apparently JCPD fails to realize that they are not above the law.

Posted on: 2011/12/23 3:50
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I have had a mixed bag in my dealings with the JCPD over the years. Many times they were difficult to deal with and sarcastic. A couple of times they were okay. The last experience was just before Halloween when I witnessed a smash and grab. I followed the guy till the cops arrived at which point a foot chase ensued. They caught the guy hiding in the housing projects just off Mercer and Barrow. While in pursuit the cops had asked a local woman if she had seen the guy run by her. She lied to the cops about seeing the perp enter a building. Luckily they second guessed her. In any case, I have also had dealings with cops in the suburbs while working on film shoots. I always marvel at how local residents speed around the neighborhoods and are obnoxious to the police. Their attitude is "I pay high taxes and the cops work for me so I'll do whatever I want". It's obvious that the cops have lost the communities they work in as allies. Every person now "knows their rights" and blah, blah, blah. That's fine but people have to also understand the feeling a cop must have when approaching a suspicious car on a traffic stop or wading into a crowd of rioting teenagers. Most if not all of you would turn and run. Watch Cops or Campus PD sometime and you will see how mundane and then scary police work can be. You will also see the tremendous sense of entitlement that both civilians and police will sometimes exhibit.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
At very least, they are far more of a nuisance than any helpfulness they provide. Give anyone a badge and see how they act. The mentality is all wrong now... They work for US. WE pay their salaries. But they don't seem to get it. 99% of them are no more than essentially hired goons.

Along with the Parking Authority

Posted on: 2011/12/22 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
The cops in this town, and pretty much any town are quite simply useless. At very least, they are far more of a nuisance than any helpfulness they provide. Give anyone a badge and put a gun around their waist and see how they act. The mentality is all wrong now... They work for US. WE pay their salaries. But they don't seem to get it. 99% of them are no more than essentially hired goons.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gp193 wrote:
Just to point out another example - I was walking to the PATH at Exchange Place this morning and as I was about to cross Grand Street, at Greene, a cop car came careening down the street (toward a red light) at about 50mph. He blew right through the red light without stopping, nearly running me over. There's simply no excuse for this crap - if he was rushing to an emergency, he should have had his siren on and honked to alert the pedestrians. Ridiculous.

Go down and report it to the captain. I bet that won't happen in the South District otherwise that would be a money opportunity...getting hit by a police car with no call, lights, or sirens on.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 15:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/26 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
Just to point out another example - I was walking to the PATH at Exchange Place this morning and as I was about to cross Grand Street, at Greene, a cop car came careening down the street (toward a red light) at about 50mph. He blew right through the red light without stopping, nearly running me over. There's simply no excuse for this crap - if he was rushing to an emergency, he should have had his siren on and honked to alert the pedestrians. Ridiculous.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

colleen wrote:
Stupid?!? That's harsh.

Lieut. Petersen & Ofc. Ramos

Yeah, Petersen isn't stupid. She retired from JCPD after climbing to a salary of about $125,000.
Got hired by mayor Lorenzo Langford in Atlantic City to serve as Public Safety Director, a position which he re-created just for her, with a salary of $90,000 a year WHILE illegally collecting approximately $105,000 in state pension payments duing her 17 month tenure.

Not too shabby.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Ive said this before and I'll say it again, the biggest obsticle to Jersey City residents being able to achieve the quality of life they deserve is the lack of enforcement and do as I say not as I do attitude that many Jersey City Police have. They don't lead by example and in many instances don't show show up when you call them. Jersey City will never reach it's true potential without officers who care about the community they serve and do the right thing.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 13:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/1 12:26
Group:
Registered Users
There are a lot of great cops and they should not be insulted because two of their coworkers abuse their power! I take offense to the comment that becoming a local cop means your stupid! As with every profession, there are great people and those that have an attitude problem. The way these two officers acted should not be considered a representation of the uniform, but rather of their character as people.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 11:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Stupid?!? That's harsh.

Lieut. Petersen & Ofc. Ramos

Posted on: 2011/12/21 21:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 14:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
You find it surprising that cops are pieces of sh it? Come on. People become local cops when they are too stupid to find a real job.

I beg to differ, their actions sometimes very questionable and I agree borderline assanine, But Stupid...huhm, Landing a job that pays $100G's a year with Overtime, and Benifits included in todays world and a ton of time off, doesnt equate to stupidity in my mind.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
You find it surprising that cops are pieces of sh it? Come on. People become local cops when they are too stupid to find a real job.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 13:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/1 12:26
Group:
Registered Users
That is so horrible. You should absolutely personally walk into headquarters and ask to speak with Internal Affairs and tell them you want to file an official complaint. Even if you don't have badge numbers, you can just give as much details as possible. You never know if this may be a problem that they are already investigating, and your report might help them do their job. I know it may seem inconvenient to have to go through all this, but this is the only way our community is going to stop the abuse of power in this city. If you decide to go through with a complaint, please keep us posted on how you make out!

Posted on: 2011/12/21 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Once I was at the intersection of Montgomery and Washington. I was waiting for the light to turn green to take a right turn (as there is a no turn on red sign there). There was a cop car in the left lane and it cut me and took a right turn while the light was still red. The car didn't have it's emergency lights on.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It's a good thing you weren't driving because with that "attitude" you would have been ticketed. I would have requested their badge numbers and wrote the license plate number down including the squad car number as well. If you feel that strongly go to the next Captain's meeting or go to the East district police station and ask to speak to the captain that is what we do up in the Heights. I think the captain is on the day shift 7am till 3pm, and don't forget to write this in the opinion section in the Jersey and the Reporter.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
That's a bad intersection at the best of times. If you are making the turn NW into 8th from Jersey, you have got to pull out a lot of the way just to see oncoming traffic. And people turning from 8th to Jersey can get a little pissed that they can't cut the corner turning.

Chill, but get one of these for future conflicts. http://looxcie.com/

Posted on: 2011/12/21 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Save your breath. Someone might listen politely to what you have to say at the precinct but they won't do a thing about it. Like any organization regardless of what happens....the first instinct is to protect their own. If you pursue this matter...you are going to hit a blue wall.

Not too long ago. Some minor punk got tough with me and spit and slapped me. I of course called the cops. The kid of course runs home to his parents but i run into him again and call the cops again. The cops tell me they couldn't do anything other than have me file a complaint and go to civil court.

The cops sort of laughed it off and said you should have hit him back. "I can't belive you took that". These are the guys who are suppose to tell you not to make the situation worse. I am pretty sure had i hit the kid or caused an escalation...i am pretty sure i would be the one getting arrested.

FYI...these boys in blue were Bayonne Cops...in many ways worse than JCPD.

Posted on: 2011/12/21 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2011/12/21 3:16

Cops don't have to abide by laws that they enforce?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Crossing Jersey Ave. on 8th St. towards Coles around 7:15pm tonight. I am crossing the road as a cop car is approaching the stop sign. I am already almost halfway across the road and instead of stopping or even slowing down, the cop decides to swerve around me and go through the stop sign. There was also a car on 8th getting ready to turn left onto Jersey.

Note... he does not have his lights on and is not driving fast enough to look like he was in a hurry, just didn't want to stop for me.

I yell at him and he slams on his brakes, rolls down the window and asks me what I said. There are 2 cops in the car.

I said he needs to watch for pedestrians and actually stop at the stop sign.

He says that he is in an emergency vehicle. I then tell him that he doesn't have his lights on. The other cop says that they don't have to have their lights on.

I then tell him that he is setting a horrible example for the rest of JC. And that this is why every other person driving in this city thinks its ok to not stop at stop signs.

The driver then proceeds to tell me that they enforce the laws and don't have to abide by them.

What?!?!?!

So in his eyes if he hit me, that's ok because he doesn't have to abide by the laws.

He then drove off down 8th. Again not in a hurry and not turning his lights on.

I'm just glad I wasn't with my daughter at the time, I'm sure they could care less about strollers too.

Does anyone know where I can report this where someone might actually listen and do something about it?

Posted on: 2011/12/21 1:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017