Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: You know you're a JC old-timer if you remember...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
JC history: (of the bakeries I remember as a kid, yummy)

- On Newark Avenue between Five Corners and Tonnele Avenue. There was a Five Corners Bakery like Yvonne said kind of across from the library (great sticky buns) and a few good German bakeries. One had a huge brick oven in the back, it took up half the shop. Great Black and White?s and Cheese Cakes!!

- The Five Corners Bakery also had a second store in the middle of Journal Square over by The Hotel on the Square. (now part of the big ugly lot, any news Healy?). I remember the great neon sign. It had a 5 layer wedding cake with a baker putting finishing touches on it popping out of the sign. I wish someone in JC preserved that sign. (someone should recue the old Joey Stars Bar sign at Newark and Tonnele ..a classic!)

- Down on Westside and Duncan was Peterson?s Bakery. That was near the JC bagel factory that place was great. All it had was a counter and huge vats with bagel?s floating in them. Talk about hot bagels!!. No need for a fancy interior space with tables and chairs back then. Just bagel?s?salted or plain in a brown paper bag. Come to think of it I did hear the guy say ?NO bagels for you!? many a time..hmmm.

Wild I also found a wedding anniversary piece about the owners of the Five Corners Bakeries. Hey zamery1 try and track down a family member and ask them about the cake..you never know.

PENZINER

Gertrude and Frederic Penziner of Somerset and Boca Raton, Fla., recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. Mr. Penziner married the former Gertrude Kliman at the McAlpin Hotel in New York City on Jan. 6, 1951.

They resided in Jersey City until 1972 and in Mountainside until seven years ago. Mr. Penziner graduated from Rutgers University; Mrs. Penziner graduated from New York University and earned a master?s degree from Kean College. They owned the 5 Corners Bakeries in Jersey City, which were established in the 1920s by Mrs. Penziner?s parents, Isaac and Rose Kliman.

The couple have three children, Dr. Alan Penziner and his wife, Dr. Paula Marantz Cohen, of Moorestown; Rachel Morling and her husband, Eric Hirsch, of Fanwood; and Heidi Penziner of Scottsdale, Ariz.; as well as six grandchildren and two step-grandchildren.

http://njjewishnews.com/community/anniversaries/lifecycle-penziner

I found the below NYT?s piece from 1987 about the coming JC rejuvenation.. that was the first wave of ?yuppies?. Two interesting things in the piece. It mentions the Journal Square Five Corners Bakery (the one with the cool sign) it must have just been getting ready to close in 1987. It also mentions how Newport was first called ?Newport City? and how JC old-timers did not like it. (including myself) This is the first time I caught it in print. I have sales flyers where it says things like Newport City, New York. The directions even left off Jersey City. Mayor Cucci wanted them to at least drop the ?City? and they did.

As the evening rush hour fell on Journal Square, commuters carrying trenchcoats and canvas tote bags spilled out of the PATH train from Manhattan and hurried past the cracked window of the Five Corners Bakery.

To the clerks who once stood behind the bakery's cash register, the well-tailored silhouettes outside symbolized the rising fortunes of Jersey City.

But the bakery itself could serve as symbol. For more than 50 years, the landmark weathered the city's fall from prosperity, its race riots and its shuttered factories. Now that renewal has arrived, surging south from neighboring Hoboken, the Five Corners has closed, sold for development.

But it is also feared that the young professionals and the upper middle class who make up the latest wave of immigrants will not join in the proud civic life. Last year, when a luxury development on the Hudson waterfront advertised itself as Newport City, residents took that as an affront.

''Newport City - it was like they were ashamed to say they were in Jersey City,'' said Mayor Anthony R. Cucci, one of many born and raised here who demanded the development call itself Newport.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/05/21/nyr ... tml?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Posted on: 2012/7/21 4:55

Re: five corner baker
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
No, there was a bakery called 5 corners on Newark Avenue, they made excellent bread. It was near the 5 Corners Library.
I wasn't a fan of their cakes but their bread with light and cripsy.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 1:58

Re: five corner baker
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/30 15:54
Group:
Registered Users
Well, you probably mean Monteleone's. All their cakes are fabulous,but I don't know the name of the one you mentioned. And yes,they are still there on Newark Ave

Posted on: 2012/7/21 1:43

five corner baker

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/31 20:33
Group:
Registered Users
i used to live in jersey city when i was a kid and remember that bakery was so good ! the one cake I remember was sort of a log pastery cake filled with i want so a barvaran cream and topped with fruit omg it was so good. Is it still there and can anyone tell me what the name of that cake is? I would really appreciate it

Posted on: 2012/7/20 16:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/30 1:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:

I remember a deli/convenience store which was across the street from DHS. Perhaps Rands was located near the deli. My friends & I used to purchase snacks from the deli during lunch break when we were attending Dickinson H.S. The name Rands seems familiar but I don't recall if I've ever been to the restaurant.

Louie's Candy Store on Newark was popular with DHS students... candy, comic books, and loose cigarettes for a dime. It was on Newark and Palisade across from the school and Hudson Gardens. High Pockets (later the Bus Stop) was the bar on the corner of Chestnut and Newark Avenues.

I vaguely recall a liquor store type of business which was located on the corner of Newark & Chestnut Avenues. Perhaps the liquor store I remember was the bar.

That is Mars Liquors. It's still there under different owners for the last 20 years. The old Mars was a great deli. The old High Pockets (later Bus Stop) Bar is a Spanish restaurant on Newark and Chestnut. The Dominican Bodega on the east corner of Newark and Chestnut was a Salvation Army Store.

The names Mars Liquors & High Pocket sound very familiar. If Mars Liquors was also a deli, it must have been one of the places where my DHS schoolmates would buy their hoagies at lunch time.

I vaguely remember a Salvation Army store which was located near DHS also. I also recall the existence of an Army & Navy store which was located close to DHS. I remember that my friends at DHS would buy Army fatigue clothing from the store. The store where my friends & I bought snacks was next to the parking lot which had been next to Rands ice cream parlor.[/quote]

Posted on: 2012/7/1 6:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rich wrote:
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
How long did the Robert Hall store on Route 440 in JC exist?

I remember when it was over on Jordan Avenue

The Jordan Avenue Robert Hall store must have been another location of the store that had existed in addition to the Route 440 store. I'm not sure if the two stores existed at the same time.

Posted on: 2012/7/1 6:48

Re: The Good , The Bad And The Ugly Of Old Jersey City
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bryceman70 wrote:
Several memories. One maybe someone can remember:
I vaguely remember between Oakland Avenue and Cook Street where now is a huge parking lot...there was a gully, a bid deep crater. In it were several rows of army-style buildings in which Black Families lived. It was bulldozed and now a parking lot for over ....55 years? Was I hallucinating or was it really there?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Memories, THE GOOD: Fisher Beer was the 5 & 10 next to the State Theater.
The huge vacant lot between Summit Ave and JFK (formerly HUDSON) Blvd. Only the library and one St. John's Apts. building was there, between them...it looked like Hiroshima after the blast for a few years in the early 1960's around the time Kennedy was shot.
ACME Super Market on Hoboken and Summit Aves. where the Hudson Bank drive-in now stands.

The Rosewood Malt Shop on Bergen Ave. near Vroom ST. had swastika tyles on the floor (obviously put there long before Hitler)

Bickford's on the Square and the McGinley Square Bus Station(where the tramps hung out inside who looked like out've the Great Depression).
Coward Shoes
Thorne's Women's where owned by a former Czech movie star prior to WW 2.

The Pix Theater Saturday Matinees which showed movies later put on CHILLER THEATER on t.v.
Other Memories: THE BAD:

The Jersey Journal use to print "A Negro" if someone arrested was Black. They'd put his name, the above , his age and address. They didn't do it for any other race. They continued to do it until I think Dr. King was killed(old Microfilms at the Jersey Ave. library will prove what I say).

Kids with "funny names" that weren't Irish or Italian were open-targets for bullies. Even in the Catholic Schools. When the first Black kid came to our Catholic school (I won't say the name to avoid embarassment-you'll know which one!) the other kids jumped on him like paranas. I don't recall what happened to him. His first name was Joseph and the last name started with a T.. That's all I'll share.

Other Meories: THE UGLY:

If you were suspected to be gay in Jersey City of the Old Days you had as much of a chance as a Hassidic Jew in 1940 Berlin. Now Jersey City was ranked #3 in the state for Gay Friendly.

The Jersey Journal use to print Sodomy arrests and "suspected homosexuals" arrested on suspicion, their names and addresses in the paper. Again, check the microfilms.
Neighborhoods had "color lines" usually enforced by some checker-shirted Archie Bunker who lived on the street who hoisted the Star Spangled Banner every morning on his porch). I was told once that a little kid I invited to the wading pool in my yard had to go away because "a neighbor complained I violated the color line" to my parents.
He was a dark-complexioned Hispanic*(*that made it even worse). ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jersey City, like any place in the country or the world, has its good memories and bad. These are part of our history. What is important is what we've become and we're a vibrant multi-cultured and welcoming city now. We are not a "little red neck town frozen in the 1950's" as some New Yorkers said about us back then.
I love Jersey City and am also a historian.
Final note, a foundation of one of the towering beams for the old trolley tressle to Hoboken is still under the State Highway ramp to the Holland Tunnel, know where it is?

What you wrote is interesting. There were several people on FB's "We Grew Up in Jersey City" web page trying to convince me that ethnic relations in the '40s & '50s were great. I didn't believe them especially after reading Helen Stapinski's book "Five Finger Discount" in which she wrote about the ethnic division in JC in the early '60s & prior to this time.

I had been trying to recall the name of the 5&10 store which was next to the State Theater. Fisher Beer was still at that location in the mid-'70s, wasn't it? I lived in JC from July of '74 to June of '75.

Posted on: 2012/7/1 6:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/8 1:14
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jershar wrote:
Nedicks! My mom use to work there lol they had pinstripe uniforms, kinds like the Yankees. Great memories. Wasn't there another movie theatre around the corner from the Stanley? I recall going there as a kid and people smoking in the theatre.

Wasn't there a great Nedick's in the Grove Street train station?

Posted on: 2012/5/9 1:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wintergreen88 wrote:
How long did the Robert Hall store on Route 440 in JC exist?

I remember when it was over on Jordan Avenue

Posted on: 2012/5/9 1:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HudsonCity wrote:
.......If you remember the old, simple but nice white with black letters/numerals street signs that were at each corner. I think these street signs were a Jersey City icon in the days before the present street signs.

The red poles are still around here and there.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 1:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
The Pix actually had a color TV on the second floor.

You couldn't pee crooked there and you'd be tossed out.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 1:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
I thought that area was known as the Island?

Posted on: 2012/5/9 1:09

Re: Live Poultry & Long Gone Movie Theater

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Hey--some names from the Wayne, Mercer, Fremmont Factory street area:

Louie Mangieri
Louie Cosenza
Georgie Costa
Freddie Cimo
Joe Lazzaro
Tommy Spidaletto
Joe Spidaletto
Maryann Costa
Kathy Miller
Joe Colarusso
Richie Mauro
Georgie Easterling
Greg Rotella
Allen Jenkins
Frannie Spinello

Anyone recall them?

How about some St. Bridget names?

Anne Durant
Tommy Leong
Jeannie Specchio
Bobby O'brycki
Bobby Reed
Tommy Darpino
Haroldine Sharrock
Natalie Feehan
JoAnne Ocone
Richie Susak
Mikey Tallerida
Richie Lindsay
Maureen Murphy
Jean Hlavach
Elizabeth Garabaldi
Algernon Rose
Paul Gough
John Yurchak

Posted on: 2012/5/9 1:07

Re: Live Poultry & Long Gone Movie Theater

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
The poultry market was Vernese's. The daughter was my teacher at St. Bridget's for a while--a honey!!

Rich

Posted on: 2012/5/9 0:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
The Hilltop was a nice old family style pizza joint up near the Armory on Mercer or Wayne Street I believe.

I came from Factory Street down the hill from the Medical Center and across from Montgomery Gardens.

Here's one for you real oldtimers: remember the viaduct that connected upper and lower Mercer streets? We used to ride our bikes and sleds down it. I still have two bricks from it.

How about the railroad that existed with the trestles over Mercer and Montgomery street? The shacks on the railroad with the coal shutes?

The project gang "The Seabees"?

The rag shops on Wayne street?

Rich

Posted on: 2012/5/9 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I know I'm getting old when my nephew asked me to carry the lighter end of an object

Posted on: 2012/3/26 21:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

canhoddy wrote:
Anyone else recall where or what The Hilltop was? I've seen it mentioned a few times...?

I grew up on the Hilltop. Above Harsimus Cemetery are Henry Street, Waldo, Magnolia and Chestnut Avenues which is known as the Hilltop. I believe that it also encompassed Dickinson (old football cheer included "Hilltop, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah"), Hudson Gardens, Baldwin Avenue, and the streets around the court house.

Across the Waldo Avenue pedestrian bridge and Chestnut Avenue Bridge is the Island Section. It's an interesting little enclave that many in Jersey City don't know about. No, it's not surrounded by water, but the community is atop a plateau surrounded by steep cliffs. Below are railroad tracks and the PATH train yards

Posted on: 2012/3/26 12:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/28 8:03
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone else recall where or what The Hilltop was? I've seen it mentioned a few times...?

Posted on: 2012/3/26 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

canhoddy wrote:
What was The Hilltop?

Either a section of town near the back of the PATH and Dickinson H.S. or a cheap looking restaurant on either Baldwin or Summit Ave. going towards the Beacon.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 1:26
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/28 8:03
Group:
Registered Users
What was The Hilltop?

Posted on: 2012/3/26 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
What about the store ... Consumers on rt 440. It was where PC Richards is at now.
And Bradlees where Lowes is now.
Or ShopRite which was next to Party City and now just the parking lot.

Posted on: 2012/1/24 2:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/30 17:36
Group:
Registered Users
Nedicks! My mom use to work there lol they had pinstripe uniforms, kinds like the Yankees. Great memories. Wasn't there another movie theatre around the corner from the Stanley? I recall going there as a kid and people smoking in the theatre.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 5:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/30 17:36
Group:
Registered Users
Nedicks! My mom use to work there lol. Great memories. Wasn't there another movie theatre around the corner from the Stanley? I recall going there as a kid and people smoking in the theatre.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 5:52

Re: More Places Of Old Jersey City That Are No More

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
That was for post 164 about the peddler.

And how about the watermelon guy?--Pete Moscatello.

Posted on: 2011/12/4 19:47

Re: More Places Of Old Jersey City That Are No More

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
His name was Yico, and he'd shout out the names of his vegetables. Another guy was Johnny Budenz. He had a little deli in the trunk of his car. When I could scrape up 35 cents I'd get a pound of pistachio nuts from him--Zenobias--that was heaven!!

Posted on: 2011/12/4 19:42

Re: The Driftwood

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Got a confirmation that it was The Driftwood.

Posted on: 2011/11/29 12:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you JC,

I just can't forget the first nineteen years of my life in a great city.

Unfortubately, urban renewal took our homes, and my parents left it all behind, but my wife and I still return.

We do miss the old restaurants though--the Canton and IlVento's were wonderful.

When I've got a rested mind, I'll do another list.

Rich.

Posted on: 2011/11/29 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Rich, are you sure you were not listening to Billy Joel's "We didn't start the fire" when you wrote this?

It's a pretty awesome list, and I am sure it fits BJ's music with some very minor modifications.

Posted on: 2011/11/28 22:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
How about The Hilltop,
the Paul Revere Boys Club,
the viaduct that connected Mercer Street,
Pippi's,
The Pix,
Twan's Hot Dog truck under the turnpike,
riding the freights,
Slim the cop and his nightstick,
stealin' bike stuff from Rocket auto stores,
stealin' anything you could because everybody you knew did too,
Your father workin' on the trucks,
sleddin' Medical center hill and past the projects,
Louie Morris' candy store,
Nick Marino and his punch boards and that stogie,
Danny and Joe the barbers
Oyster Bay,
The Canton,
Barrett's men's store,
The third rail on the tracks,
Wonder Bread and Bond bread and the machines that showed the bread being made on Montgomery street, Mastria's and the paper and rag shops,
Pete's barber shop with the men's magazines,
Railroad avenue before the trestle came down
Ducky's and the Keyhole
Whew!!!

Posted on: 2011/11/28 22:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Wow--

The guy who came around to the bars with seafood was my uncle--Mike Pinelli.

He's now officially a part of Jersey City History.

Posted on: 2011/11/28 7:01

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017