Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Broker's fee
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
As a landlord there is no reason for me to pay all or part of the broker fee in this market. I list the apartment on Craigslist for those looking on their own and tell my favorite broker that it is available. For those choosing to use a broker they get to pay the fee. For those looking on their own then no fee.

Our apartments rent in a couple of days and usually using the broker.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
I've moved 3 times over the past 8 years. I have no time to search for an apartment or talk to doormen. My broker is amazing and always finds me what I am looking for, he handles the deal, prepares the leases and previews the apartments for me. I receive photos in advance and I choose what I want to see.

To each his own but I'm sticking with my broker.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Also remember that some landlords will be flexible with a rental fee if they have the right tenant at their doorstep. It's a negotiation process that you can conduct with the realtor.

In some instances, you can successfully negotiate a partial fee or even a no-fee (the same is true when faced with 1.5 months security vs. 1 months security) if your credit score is high and you can show good references.

Alternately, you could ask the landlord (through the realtor) for an extra months rent in exchange for paying the fee. If you're trying to get in to a high-rise, condo-type apartment with a doorman or concierge, work ahead of time. Tell the staff you're looking for a rental unit and want to work directly with an owner, rather than a realtor.

Posted on: 2011/11/13 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
After the previous real estate crash (1988 to 1997), there was a serious lack of apartments. Back in 1997 - 1998, employment demands in the area where good (all those back offices opening up in Exchange Place and Newport), but the apartment stock was in horrible shape.

A number of prospective tenants used brokers to help them find apartments. Good apartments were often off the market the same day they went on.. If you wanted a good apartment, you had to go through someone who had a good working relationship with the landlord.

That situation doesn't exist today to the same level, but I there are still agents who broker apartments. I have found their client base falls into the following categories:

1. People who work insane hours. Searching for an apartment will cost them more than the broker fee.

2. People that are re-locating and CAN'T search for a place on their own because they are still thousands of miles away.

Posted on: 2011/11/13 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It's strange indeed I don't see a buyers fee for those in the real estate market looking to buy a house it is usually the seller who pays the 6% broker fee.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 19:53

Broker's fee
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/22 19:28
Group:
Registered Users
Why in the world should anyone pay a broker's fee to move into a new apartment?

if an apartment is 450 square feet, half a mile from transportation, a ground level, and $1350, not rent controlled, WHY would anyone pay a broker's fee for it? It's throwing away $1350.
I can understand a reason for a broker's fee in two instances.

1. the rent is a serious deal
2. it's rent controlled

but, it's rare to find either one of these scenarios. i've been apartment hunting for months and it never happens. the rents are almost always ridiculous and the properties are never rent controlled. so i'm being asked to pay an absurd amount in rent and who knows how much i'll be asked to pay next year, and the broker and landlord think charging me a month's rent JUST TO MOVE IN is completely reasonable.

Brokers, explain how you justify that fee. I understand a broker needs to make money, but, landlords, WHY aren't you paying it?

The renter's fee is RENT.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 18:52

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017