Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Richardson and Lavarro win two at-large seats in Jersey City special election
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
So who fills the Jersey City Ward F council seat? Richardson wants a say

Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 7:05 PM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson, who is set to be certified as the City Council's new at-large member thanks to yesterday's election results, wants a say in who gets to replace her as the Ward F representative.
Richardson, first elected to the Ward F seat in 2001, said she hasn't heard from Mayor Jerramiah Healy about who will succeed her. The council has 30 days to appoint someone in the seat, or else it stays vacant until a special election next November.

"The administration has not given me the respect or the courtesy of having this conversation," Richardson said by phone today.

For the two most recent council appointments, Healy forwarded his preferred choices - Ray Velazquez and Kalimah Ahmad, who both lost yesterday - to the council, which offered its unanimous approval. That's unlikely to occur again.

"I have a couple people that I believe would be able to at least fight for the people," she said. "I've been a fighter for 10 years. Why would you give it to somebody who's not a fighter, who's just a stamp? I don't want a rubber stamp."
Healy, in an e-mail, said he is waiting for the election results to be certified before beginning the nominating process for Richardson's replacement.

"Hopefully we can obtain consensus from the City Council," he said.

Political observers believe Healy may have to defer to Richardson on this. Healy's picks for Tuesday's race lost decisively, so his power over the council is ebbing, while Richardson is still basking in the glow of a surprise victory, they say.

"Healy is probably not going to be a factor," said one city official.

Richardson's isn't the only seat set to be vacated. Jersey City Board of Education member Sean Connors was elected Tuesday to represent the 33rd Legislative District in the state Assembly, which means he has to give up his BOE seat by the time he's sworn in in January.

The BOE has 60 days after his resignation to appoint a replacement, or his seat will stay vacant until after the April school election, when Connors' seat expires.

BOE President Sterling Waterman said the board will implement a "fair, transparent" process to find Connors' replacement. Each board member will bring two resumes to the full board and there will be an "open interview" with the candidates, involving members of the public, he said.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 17:02

Re: Richardson and Lavarro win two at-large seats in Jersey City special election
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Diogenes2013 wrote:
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Speaking of Machiavellis I am sure you then know that "Machiavellian" is a derogatory term for describing someone who aims to deceive and manipulate others for personal advantage. It's also known as another word for deceit and political manipulation.

Hmmm, sounds like Steve Fulop.

Yeah, Fulop's the one who accepted bribes from developers. Fulop is the one who uses city cars for personal use. Fulop is the one who triple-dips. Fulop is the one with relatives on several municipal payrolls. Right. {End Sarcasm}

Posted on: 2011/11/14 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Ha! Do you know the saying, "name calling is the last refuge of the out argued?" It seems that on JC List the last refuge is to point out ones spelling errors.

I will point out that Waterman and Lester are two intelligent people and both felt that endorsing Sue was a smart move in case she was elected and if she was not. Pretty simple math really.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 3:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
Speaking of Machiavellis I am sure you then know that "Machiavellian" is a derogatory term for describing someone who aims to deceive and manipulate others for personal advantage. It's also known as another word for deceit and political manipulation.

Hmmm, sounds like Steve Fulop.

BTW, it's spelled NADER genius.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Did Sue Nadar I mean Sue Mack borrow some of your old Greek and Roman philosophy books?

Posted on: 2011/11/13 14:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
It's called politics Diogenes2013. Keep you friends close but your enemies closer. That's exactly why Fulop stayed out of it.

Could it be that her BoE position is an unpaid while the Council draws a salary? Hmmm. Either way, lots and lots of us DT find it pretty interesting.

Well excuse me .. I should have known you "DT" Machiavellis had it all scoped out.

Yep, working unpaid for 15 years at the BOE as a stepping stone to a paid political job. You guys sure are smart.

Posted on: 2011/11/13 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's called politics Diogenes2013. Keep you friends close but your enemies closer. That's exactly why Fulop stayed out of it.

Could it be that her BoE position is an unpaid while the Council draws a salary? Hmmm. Either way, lots and lots of us DT find it pretty interesting.

Posted on: 2011/11/13 2:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote: They must have been aghast when she announced she was jumping ship just weeks after being elected to this crucial post.

Oh yes, they were aghast. That's why Waterman and Lester endorsed her.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
I believe Ianmac also said, "opinions are like asshats - everyone has one"
Yes, she had every right to run but now she has a big hill to climb to get back in the good graces of the other BOE members. They must have been aghast when she announced she was jumping ship just weeks after being elected to this crucial post.

You think she really sees the hill as steep as you see it. What does she care what they think.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I believe Ianmac also said, "opinions are like asshats - everyone has one"

Look, the prevailing chatter amongst the neighbors I talked with that evening around Grace Church and around Hamilton Park the days after the election was that Sue Mack was the Ralph Nadar of this run-off election. In otherwords, there's no denying she took important votes from Levin and Boggiano and essentialy gave Lavarro his seat.

Yes, she had every right to run but now she has a big hill to climb to get back in the good graces of the other BOE members. They must have been aghast when she announced she was jumping ship just weeks after being elected to this crucial post.

Hindsight can be a bitter pill to swallow.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 16:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
The only results Mack should be waiting on are progress results from the Jersey City school system.

Put your tail between your legs and get back to the BOE job that you really campaiged for and won.

In the immortal words of Ianmac, you are an asshat douchebag.

Posted on: 2011/11/12 4:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

coronalime wrote:
Jersey City is full of stupid and lazy people. Of course we get stupid and lazy candidates winning.

They can't be that lazy if they are the only ones that voted. And majority wins, did you actually poll everyone of voting age if they voted ? J.C. has a high number of renters and an equally number of absentee landlords who own properties in more than one town but only registered to vote in one town. When you have a city as diverse as ours with foreign born, or folks "just dropping by" this is expected. Some of our new residents have gone to Nyc to speak to their J.C. (Newport City) government officials only to be told to go back across the river.

Posted on: 2011/11/11 10:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in favor of instant runoffs, in general but think it would be a bad idea for this specific instance. With multiple seats available among the same single field (and such a large field at that) a runoff shouldn't come into play and would probably complicate things beyond what the HCDO is able to do through their usual bracketing and ballot draw game playing.

To me, the big issue in this election wasn't that the votes were allocated improperly - it was that there weren't enough votes to begin with! 3,500 votes to win an at-large city council seat? More people in Princeton Township (population 16,265) voted in favor of merging with Princeton Borough than the number of votes Rolando Lavarro received in Jersey City (population 247,597).

Posted on: 2011/11/10 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Althea wrote:
How would you have a majority when you are voting for more than one candidate? What would be a majority for each candidate with a two choice vote? What about the regular Council-at-Large race where there are 3 positions to vote for?

Also, would you then apply this to the JCBOE elections as well where there are 3 spots every year? and what would a majority constitute in that?

Run off elections are an added expense to the tax payer. I'm not saying that it should not be done, just need to look at all angles.

Reasons we need instant runoff elections. They're not without flaw, but better than having a mess like we usually do where you have to make a choice between who you like the best and who the least bad that's electable.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
How would you have a majority when you are voting for more than one candidate? What would be a majority for each candidate with a two choice vote? What about the regular Council-at-Large race where there are 3 positions to vote for?

Also, would you then apply this to the JCBOE elections as well where there are 3 spots every year? and what would a majority constitute in that?

Run off elections are an added expense to the tax payer. I'm not saying that it should not be done, just need to look at all angles.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 17:24
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/18 15:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

One of the things "special" about this special election was no runoff. Normal elections have that feature. Just another booth in the freakshow that is JC politics.

Thanks, brewster. I figured there had to be a reason, but I haven't done enough to educate myself about the rules of this particular freakshow. :)~

Posted on: 2011/11/10 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Separation of church and state applies to the government not sanctioning a religion, but instead every individual has a right to practice their own religion.

What you are saying below has to do with Lavarro exercising his freedom of speech (the government can not prevent him from exercising this) in a public space. If they wre actually on Church property (not the sidewalk outside the church) then the church had the choice to ask them to leave.

I doubt he was breaking any law and the Rolando Lavarro I know is neither a flunkie nor someone who would disregard the bill of rights (and amendments).

All the candidates and their campaign teams hand out literature. For most people, especially those who don't vote, this is annoying especially when volunteers get zealous.

Quote:

whiteboy19 wrote:
I hope they take down the campaign posters they put up all over west side ave.Isnt putting up posters illegal? they will blow off and further litter the already littered west side area.. also tons on kennedy blvd. I have pulled off dozens of LEONARD posters down along kennedy blvd in the past couple of weeks I was watched by the sheriff and jersey city police both smiled at me as i was doing a service to the community . also navarros flunkies were handing out fliers at the st. alousious church on west side they were on church property. whatever happened to separation of church and state.navarro won the election by breaking the law.. breaking the constitution,is this the guy we want in office? his flunkies were handing out Lavarro propaganda on church property after the sunday mass, he was cheating he was breaking the law

Posted on: 2011/11/10 16:51
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Webnabled wrote:
Is there anything we (the citizens) can do to change the voting system so that people aren't elected who don't have a clear majority? I voted on Tuesday and assumed that out of 17 candidates it would be difficult, if not impossible, to get a majority and that a run-off would be in required by law. I couldn't recall the last time we had this, maybe the mayoral election after Cunningham died? But Healy did get over 50%, didn't he? I assume the expense and inconveniece is what people would use to justify not doing so? This way, the unorganized "opposition" candidates could coalesce around one or two candidates in a second round. The earlier commenter was correct that often times people's egos get in the way of the bigger picture. I just don't support a person taking a seat as an elected official without majority support.

One of the things "special" about this special election was no runoff. Normal elections have that feature. Just another booth in the freakshow that is JC politics.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 16:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/18 15:43
Group:
Registered Users
Is there anything we (the citizens) can do to change the voting system so that people aren't elected who don't have a clear majority? I voted on Tuesday and assumed that out of 17 candidates it would be difficult, if not impossible, to get a majority and that a run-off would be in required by law. I couldn't recall the last time we had this, maybe the mayoral election after Cunningham died? But Healy did get over 50%, didn't he? I assume the expense and inconveniece is what people would use to justify not doing so? This way, the unorganized "opposition" candidates could coalesce around one or two candidates in a second round. The earlier commenter was correct that often times people's egos get in the way of the bigger picture. I just don't support a person taking a seat as an elected official without majority support.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

whiteboy19 wrote:
also navarros flunkies were handing out fliers at the st. alousious church on west side they were on church property. whatever happened to separation of church and state.navarro won the election by breaking the law.. breaking the constitution,is this the guy we want in office?

Several churches - including St. Aloysius - serve as polling locations. Whatever separation issues that you perceive to be raised by Lavarro were created long before he came along. How does handing out fliers breech the separation between church and state, anyway? Just don't take one.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The only results Mack should be waiting on are progress results from the Jersey City school system.

Put your tail between your legs and get back to the BOE job that you really campaiged for and won.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Result of Jersey City special election won't be known for several days

Thursday, November 10, 2011, 6:02 AM

Vote totals for Tuesday?s Jersey City special election have been stuck at 95.05 percent of precincts reporting since Tuesday night, and the complete count will stay unknown until at least Monday.

Two voting-machine cartridges are still in the machines themselves, and they can?t be retrieved without a court order, Hudson County Clerk Barbara Netchert said yesterday.

Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson and her running mate, Rolando Lavarro, are the leading vote-getters, with third-place finisher Sue Mack about 250 votes behind Lavarro, counting mail-in ballots.

Mack?s team is hoping the missing cartridges will lead to enough votes for her to overtake Lavarro.

It won?t be until Monday at the earliest that the county will be in court to argue in favor of retrieving the missing cartridges, Netchert said.

Once the county gets the OK from a judge to open the voting machines, she said, the county can complete the count and certify the election. That could happen as early as Monday, but more likely on Tuesday, she said.

Sean Caddle, spokesman for Mack?s campaign, said one of the missing cartridges is from a voting machine in candidate Omar Perez?s district. Perez, Mack?s running mate, is a Democratic committeeman in Jersey City?s Downtown district E7.

Perez came in ninth out of 17 candidates, but Caddle believes if there is a wealth of uncounted votes out of E7, many of them might be for Mack.

?My thing is, if 300 people cast a vote there, we could have done well,? he said.

Then again, the cartridges might not have any votes. The two missing cartridges might just be for duplicate machines that were never used, Netchert said.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is full of stupid and lazy people. Of course we get stupid and lazy candidates winning.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 12:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
I hope they take down the campaign posters they put up all over west side ave.Isnt putting up posters illegal? they will blow off and further litter the already littered west side area.. also tons on kennedy blvd. I have pulled off dozens of LEONARD posters down along kennedy blvd in the past couple of weeks I was watched by the sheriff and jersey city police both smiled at me as i was doing a service to the community . also navarros flunkies were handing out fliers at the st. alousious church on west side they were on church property. whatever happened to separation of church and state.navarro won the election by breaking the law.. breaking the constitution,is this the guy we want in office? his flunkies were handing out Lavarro propaganda on church property after the sunday mass, he was cheating he was breaking the law

Posted on: 2011/11/10 11:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/21 19:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
In defense of Jersey City voters it wasn't like an overwhelming number of them chose Richardson or Lovarro. Rather the vote was split between 17 candidates and those with the strongest base pulled through. If either Levin, Boggiano or Mack had dropped out and put their support behind the one of the others that candidate likely would have pulled through. Yet, everyone stayed in the election and split the vote up to ensure that someone with a paltry number of votes (in this case Richardson and Lovarro) would pull through.

It is less the voters fault than people running bad campaigns and their egos preventing them from building a coalition of constituencies. This is how the machine stays in power.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
What a disgrace. The three best candidates (Boggiano, Levin, Mack) are bypassed for a triple dipping hack and an inexperienced unknown.

Jersey City voters are not only disinterested but stupid.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 16:11

Richardson and Lavarro win two at-large seats in Jersey City special election
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Richardson and Lavarro win two at-large seats in Jersey City special election

Published: Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 3:03 AM

Jersey City voters gave Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson a promotion last night, making Richardson the top vote-getter in the special election to fill two at-large vacancies on the City Council, and awarding her running mate, Rolando R. Lavarro Jr., a second-place finish.

The news was glum for incumbent council members Ray Velazquez and Kalimah Ahmad, who ran with the backing of Mayor Jerramiah Healy. The duo finished in fourth and fifth place, behind the third-place finisher, Board of Education member Sue Mack.

Only the top two vote-getters won seats.

With over 95 percent of precincts reporting, Richardson, 66, won 3,881 votes, or 14 percent, enough to let her leap from a ward council seat to one that represents the entire city. Richardson, a retired Jersey City cop, was first elected as the Ward F councilwoman in 2001.

?Integrity will prevail always,? Richardson said at her Martin Luther King Drive headquarters last night.

Lavarro, 41, an assistant director of the New Jersey City University grants office, nabbed 3,359 votes, or 12 percent. He ran for the Ward A seat in 2009, and lost in a runoff to current Ward A Councilman Michael Sottolano.

?I?m just really awed at something that took everyone working so hard to get,? he said last night at his Kennedy Boulevard campaign office.

The nonpartisan race was an historic one for Jersey City voters, who were tasked with replacing two at-large council members at one time. Disgraced former councilman Mariano Vega resigned in September 2010 after pleading guilty to corruption charges, and Willie Flood stepped down in February, citing health concerns.

Seventeen candidates ran to fill the two spots.

Velazquez, who Healy appointed to take Vega?s place, said last night he had ?no qualms? about the voters? decision.
?It?s been a pleasure of this past 13 months to serve the people of Jersey City,? he said by phone. ?I?m perfectly satisfied that the people have made their choice and I?m grateful to have had that opportunity to serve.?

Ahmad, who took Flood?s place just eight months ago, could not be reached for comment.

Reached for comment, Healy said he was ?disappointed? in the results but grateful for Ahmad?s and Velazquez?s service to the city.

?I look forward to working with the two new at-large council members to move Jersey City forward,? he said.

Richardson?s victory means Jersey City voters will have yet another special election before the 2013 regular city election. Healy must appoint a Ward F council representative to take Richardson?s place, and voters in November 2012 will select a replacement to fill out the remainder of her term.

At Richardson?s headquarters last night, Lutheran minister the Rev. Haron K. Orutwa led the councilwoman?s staff in a prayer soon after the results became clear.

?We will give God glory, then party,? Richardson said.
Journal staff writers Travis Fedschun and John Heinis contributed to this story.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 14:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017